1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The best tires for the money?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by njason99, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Feb 1, 2011 at 7:42 AM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    bfg a/t

2. Feb 1, 2011 at 11:51 AM
    Polymerhead

Polymerhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Limited Inferno...Tundra!
    Discount tire direct has p-series Hankook Dynapro ATMs for like $131. I'm on the fence since they're P and not LT, but for the price I might test them out.

3. Feb 1, 2011 at 2:22 PM
    BartStar

BartStar Well-Known Member

Member:
    pa
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4X4 Double Cab, 6 speed man
    you need to check the tire air pressure once a week
    Cooper Tires are the best and no other brand of tire will outlast a Cooper

4. Feb 1, 2011 at 2:31 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    except a michelin, or BFG.

5. Feb 1, 2011 at 5:05 PM
    90YotaPU

90YotaPU The Messiah

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Union County, NJ
    Vehicle:
    1990 Toyota 4x4 (Pre-Taco)
    Aftermarket Stereo, Spidertrax Wheel Spacers, HF Air Horns, 3" Lift

That's what I have and been very happy. Got them in October or November. Had them offroad twice since getting them and not to mention all the snow we've gotten in NJ.

Edit: Call Discount Tire Direct and say you saw them on one of their dealers websites for $107. That's what I did (and I really saw them on one of their websites). They gave them to me for $114 each including shipping.

6. Feb 1, 2011 at 5:43 PM
    TyT

TyT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black Tacoma TRD Sport
    I have the Dunlap allterains for eight months and they are great and have a real agressive tread pattern they wernt over 150 a piece I know that for a fact !
    Great tires!

7. Feb 2, 2011 at 12:51 AM
    BartStar

BartStar Well-Known Member

Member:
    pa
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4X4 Double Cab, 6 speed man
    Never owned a Michelin, have owned BFG, wasn't impressed.
    Michelin was always too expensive.
    In my experience with tires is just because its a higher priced tire doesn't mean its the best, I buy the cheapest tires I can find, and I had some good luck and was impressed with some cheaper brands such as Cooper and Mastercraft.
    And I have a personal rule about brands of tires, my rule is if Wal Mart sells that brand then those tires are no good.
    I like you guys, I like to think I am giving you good advice about what brand of tires to get and in my personal experience by owning almost all brands I believe Cooper and Mastercraft Tires are the best you can get.

8. Feb 2, 2011 at 12:18 PM
    eckcessive

eckcessive Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    in between Tacoma's
    Bang for the buck = Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10. Check out another thread I started last week (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/wheels-tires/136371-why-do-hankooks-rate-so-poorly-tirerack.html)... I was in the same boat trying to find bang for the buck.

I got the P265/75/16 and have been happy so far. I got mine installed and out the door at DT for $660 with road hazard warranty. Really liked the Duratrac but saving almost $300 was too much to pass up. Also important was the Hankook have a 50k mile tread warranty while the Duratrac's have 0.

9. Feb 2, 2011 at 1:28 PM
    njason99

njason99 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    rossville, GA
    Vehicle:
    05 white trd offroad
    Thanks for all the replies..Has anyone had any experience with the Kumho road ventures? they have a nice looking tread design and seem to have a reasonable price..

10. Feb 2, 2011 at 9:10 PM
    Cvd2312

Cvd2312 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD OR
    OME 885’s w/NitroCharger’s 3rd Gen Leaf Pack w/Icon Progressive AAL 265/70/17 Falken Wildpeak’s 17x9 Raceline Defender Wheels
    Hankook Dynapro ATM's. Simply cannot beat them for value.

11. Feb 3, 2011 at 1:38 PM
    Blue76

Blue76 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner Double Cab
    Dealer installed Leather, Truck Cover USA roll up cover, Pop n Lock, Bilstein 5100's on 4 corners set at 1.75, Rear Spring TSB. USA Spec iPhone adapter, 265/75/16 Mickey Thompson ATZs.
    Being 47 yars old and having made more than my share of mistakes... thats really where you learn right? School of hard knocks? I do not buy the BS about cheap tires are just as good and all that. Brand X is just as good as...._____ People will find ways to make what they purchased sound liike the best deal ever.... I mean good grief they dont make mistakes.... not them...

I got a bad taste in my mouth for BFG ATs several years ago when I restored a old Bronco. I spent a fortune on a super slick paint job... man I was proud... then I put a set of BFG ATs on it and before I knew it they had put rock chips all in my 6k paint job. I was PO'd... I took those tires off and vowed never to buy another BFG tire.

So then I went through about every other brand I could think of... all performed ok... no complaints.... I could not be wrong. I wanted a new set of all terrain tires on my Tacoma so I went and bought a set of Mickey Thompson ATZs... they sure looked cool. Little did I know they would roar like a frieght train... even though many people on here said they were quiet... "couldnt hardly hear them" I was told.... BS... they are louder than the Pro Comp Muds on my Bronco which were recommended by people on an offroad forum instead of the BFG muds. They will not balance and almost shake the steering wheel out of your hand. But everyone said "they are just like the BFGs" only better and cheaper... BS....

My wifes FJ needed tires a few months ago... I almost pulled the trigger on the General AT2s... almost... then my wife said she liked the look of the BFG ATs... I yelled... "NO".... but she insisted that is what she wanted... I gave in a put a set on her 08 FJ.... I had to give in... I have to live with her right?

Those tires are awesome... way better than I remembered.... quiet on the road... handle well... we had 8" of snow and they were incredible. I could not be more pleased with a set of tires. In the mean time I could have put BFGs on my Taco... Or my old F150.... but no... I have these locomotive tires that sound like Delta airlines is landing in the back of my truck.

My moral of the story? You do get what you pay for and dont let anyone tell you how awesome some odd ball tire is or you will be like me... roaring down the road scaring all the kids playing in the neighborhood.

With that said.... I will sell you a set of ATZs... 265/75/16s at a great price.... they have about 6000 miles on them.

Greg

12. Feb 3, 2011 at 4:48 PM
    eckcessive

eckcessive Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    in between Tacoma's
    So Blue... what do you consider an "odd ball tire"...?

13. Feb 3, 2011 at 5:15 PM
    Airun

Airun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Debadged, custom emblem, Husky liners, custom bedrail Yak Trak setup with load bars, , BakFlip Fibermax, OME 3" lift with LightRacing UCAs
    I definitely agree with the afore mentioned Hankook assessments. I was on the fence for a set but looking for a gnarlier appearance. I think if Hankook would square up the tread/sidewall instead of having it tapered that tire would win over several buyers. Of course that would probably increase noise slightly and decrease mpgs a bit.

14. Feb 3, 2011 at 5:19 PM
    Airun

Airun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Debadged, custom emblem, Husky liners, custom bedrail Yak Trak setup with load bars, , BakFlip Fibermax, OME 3" lift with LightRacing UCAs
    Great story and great lessons, but don't be scared of the Dynapro ATMs, our local tire shop sells a butt load of em and I've never heard a bad review on them locally.

15. Feb 3, 2011 at 7:45 PM
    Blue76

Blue76 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner Double Cab
    Dealer installed Leather, Truck Cover USA roll up cover, Pop n Lock, Bilstein 5100's on 4 corners set at 1.75, Rear Spring TSB. USA Spec iPhone adapter, 265/75/16 Mickey Thompson ATZs.
    A tire you dont see very often... a brand or style the dealer has to special order or a tire from a company that 9 out of 10 people never heard of.

While they may be good tires the key word is "may". I have paid the price for trying to be different and or save a few bucks... Hence Mickey Thompson = trying to be different.... Or Pro Comps = trying to save a few bucks. In the end I would have spent more money but been a lot happier with the BFGs.

Back in 87 I bought a brand new F150... I found a "deal" on some Kellys... they looked cool and had a great price. They sucked both on the road and off the road. Ended up ditching them after 2k miles and bought Michelins... Didnt regret that purchase.

Tried to save some bucks on my daughters Miata and bought some Kuhmos... Terrible tire for that type of car... rides like a wagon and doesnt handle anything like the Goodyears that were on it.

I guess my point is that tires are a big purchase... saving money or experimenting on something out of the ordinary may end up costing you more money.

It usually does me anyway.

If you have a buddy that has the Handcooks and you can see them perform first hand then go for it... same with any other brand. But dont buy them because some guys on a forum said they were great.

Greg

16. Feb 3, 2011 at 7:59 PM
    DubVtundy

DubVtundy ERMAHGERD

Member:
    First Name:
    Thayer
    Keyser West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2010 white double cab
    8 inch alcan custom leaf packs, ome 885's powdercoated white, bilstein 5100's all the way around with 12 inch travel on the rear, Light Racing Upper Control Arms, Sway bar removed, 17x9 kmc strike. 35x12.50 nitto Trail Grapplers. Satoshi Grill made by (homertaco), Black Headlight housings,retrofits, Tinted Tailights, color matched grill, Bought a TRD sport hood,elite off road front plate bumper,elite off road sliders, 13% tint on the front windows, 5% on top of the facotry rear windows and back glass, 5% tint stip across the windshield, Lo Pro Truxedo tonneu cover, Herculiner bed liner, Weather Tech Window Visors, Exhaust- Flowmaster Super 44 dumped above rear axle, Maglight Mount on side of drivers seat, Scangauge II, Mossy Oak Camo Seat Covers, Weather Tech Floor mats, Spatter painted A-Pillars, Spatter painted headunit trim and shifter trim, Headunit= Pioneer 4300 double din touch screen, Speakers- Precision Power 3 way component stage, Precision Power 8 i
    nitto trail grappler

shawnk likes this.
  17. Feb 8, 2011 at 10:30 AM
    njason99

njason99 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    rossville, GA
    Vehicle:
    05 white trd offroad
    I have heard a lot about the BFG A/t slingin rocks but they are way to high priced i think im prolly gonna go with the AT2's thanks for all the help

18. Feb 8, 2011 at 12:19 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    any aggressive tire will sling rocks, including the AT2. My s/t's sling rocks like crazy but I've learned to stop caring about the paint on my rockers lol.

19. Feb 9, 2011 at 8:32 AM
    Deathbeard

Deathbeard Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner Regular cab
    Camburg Spindles, Camburg 1.25" UCA, All pro expedition rear 3" leaf, 5100 all around, 17x9 raceleline renegade 6, 33's

Products Discussed in

To Top