1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The BEST UCA's for our trucks... I think I've found them!!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DrRabbitFurHead, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Aug 31, 2009 at 1:09 PM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    '09 Silver Streak TRD Off-Road
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers
    So what does this translate to on/off the road? Where does one see the benifts of say a TC UCA vs LR UCA? More articulation is great, but unless you are really hitting the trails does it matter? Sorry for the newb question, trying to understand what you guys are talking about.

marinemonkey likes this.
  2. Aug 31, 2009 at 1:22 PM
    NwiTACO

NwiTACO Big tars, little/no bed.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport
    Custom Everything, 1 Ton Axles F & R
    No difference on the road. Trail articulation is where you would notice. I am on the trails at least twice a month, and not the bunny trails.

3. Aug 31, 2009 at 2:52 PM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers

So a UCA provides no benift unless you are on the trails?

4. Aug 31, 2009 at 3:04 PM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
    provides a better on-road ride as well as offroad.

and corrects alignment

5. Aug 31, 2009 at 3:37 PM
    sincitytaco

sincitytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Off-Road 2wd Cement Grey
    Bilstein 6112/5160 set at notch 2/3, OEM TRD Pro Wheels, 275/70/17 Falken Wildpeaks, OEM TRD Pro Grill, Debadged, Ceramic Tinted Windows
    Has no effect on the ride, they just correct the alignment to make it drive a little better on the highway.

6. Aug 31, 2009 at 3:40 PM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
    no effect on the ride? i remember a noticeable difference in ride after installing mine. maybe it was all in my head eh

7. Aug 31, 2009 at 4:06 PM
    BeachBoy

BeachBoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    VT & QC
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC LB Sport+Leather
    Icon Extended COs / Camburg UCA / ATX Predator Teflon / Mickey Thompson MTZ / Color-Matched emblems / All-Pro Bumper & skids / Stubbs HD-SKO / Alcans custom leafs / U-Bolt flip / Icon rear resi shocks / Rear Bumper
    unless you extend fully, it would not do anything on the ride, that's what your shocks and springs do.

On the trail (not dirt roads, but trails), then you can see a difference because you gain extended travel. In order to gain travel you need your shocks and springs to allow for extra movements.

same as everything else, you always have one weakest link, when you fix it, then another thing becomes the weakest link...

8. Aug 31, 2009 at 5:20 PM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    If my Taco was doing what yours does in your sig, I bet I would notice a difference. Thanks for info! Trying to figure out what direction I want to go it. Going on trails or off-roading are not really for me. Not too much around here and all my spare time is with my 2year old son. Maybe when he gets older, I will give him this Taco, get a brand new and wheel with him. Now that would be cool!.

9. Aug 31, 2009 at 5:21 PM
    2k6750

2k6750 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Naples FL
    Vehicle:
    2005 SWB Prerunner Double Cab TRD Offroad
    Toytec coilovers set at 3", 5100 shocks all around, rear AAL and 1"block, 18" Moto Metal 951's with 285/60/18 Terra Grapplers, Leer Topper, de-badged, T-rex billet grille, BHLM, K&N intake, Jardine catback, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, 8" kicker solo barik, Clarion 7" in dash dvd player. 12.1" flip down screen
    Hey guys, I'm about to install my Light Racing UCA's on Thursday and have a few ?'s. Figured I'd post them in an active thread. Alright so I hear that optimum caster adjustment is 2.4. and camber is about 0. So when I put these in am I going to set them at 2.5 or whatever and the truck at dead 0? I was planning on aligning it twice. Once before to set caster at 0 on the truck, and once after with the Uca's installed to fine tune. Is this what everyone's doing? Any help is greatly appreciated.

10. Aug 31, 2009 at 5:54 PM
    DrRabbitFurHead

DrRabbitFurHead [OP] Yeah, there's a TSB for that!

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    X-treme Off Road Edition (4x4)
    Icon Extended Travel Coil Overs, Fox Rear Resi 8-Way Adjustable Shocks, Light Racing UCA's, OME Rear Leafs, M/T Classic Locks 17x9, Nitto T/G (285/70/R17), 5mm Billet Aluminum Spacers, Demello Sliders, All Pro Front Plate Bumper & IFS Skid Plate, PIAA 510's, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, O2 sims, Rear Timbren's & U-Bolt Flip Kit , 3* Rear Axel Shims, Extended Rear Brake Lines, 48" Hi-Lift with a ton of accessories, Wet Okoles, TRD bed mat, Borla Air Filter, Garmin Nuvi 765T, Viper 5901 remote start, 50% tint.
    Just follow the instructions and you'll be set. Not trying to be a smart guy, but the instructions are spelled out SO CLEARLY that you can't go wrong. Just know that they're going to have a hard time removing the bolt that holds on the OEM control arm on the drivers side. You just bend a little metal with a crow bar and it's a snap. When you're done just bend it back and you'll be set.

11. Aug 31, 2009 at 7:21 PM
    toku58

toku58 Well-Known Member

Member:
    On a Rock in the middle of the Pacific
    Vehicle:
    Mall Crawler!
    21' TRD OffRoad 2" 887 OME on Bilstein 5100's. 285/70R17 General Grabbers G3 17x8.5" Icon TRD wheels (Gun metal gray) 4.75" BS
    I've done the research! I have owned Camburg, TC, and LR's.
    People who know my history at TN know my information is solid!
    I do NOT speculate! I only deal with facts! (First hand knowledge) NOT hear say.

Having more range of articulation?
    Here's some info from LR!
    • Our Upper Control Arms were designed work with a wide range of coilover shocks; from the stock Toyota units to long travel aftermarket shocks similar to the Light Racing or Icon units. This includes shocks that allow for a slight increase in droop travel.
    • The increased travel was accommodated by using a ball joint with a higher range of travel. The stock Toyota ball joint has a 77° included angle (or 38.5° off centerline). Our design allows for a 90° included angle (or 45 ° off centerline. A spherical bearing (monoball) with high angularity inserts rarely has more than a 35° included angle. The angle of the ball joint plate is optimized for this increased ball joint travel.
    • The sliding off-set ball joint that we use allows for a huge range of alignment adjustment rather than designing an arm with a static off-set and relying on the Lower Control Arm cam bolts for adjustment. This means the camber of our arm can be adjusted to the stock upper control arm geometry or it can be adjusted for proper camber in a 4” lifted vehicle. The caster can also be adjusted from stock numbers up to a 4° increase in caster for better high speed stability.
    • Using a standard ball joint (instead of a monoball) and molded rubber inner pivots (instead of urethane) gives better ride quality, better longevity, lower maintenance, and quiet operation.
    • We as a company have 30 years experience designing ball joints for aftermarket and OEM use. The design and quality of the ball joints used on these arms is top notch.

For other questions please call our customer service department at (800)525-6505.

Do you have any information to back up what you say??:confused:
    I have confirmed this information, with personal testing of these UCA's.

12. Aug 31, 2009 at 9:09 PM
    2k6750

2k6750 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Naples FL
    Vehicle:
    2005 SWB Prerunner Double Cab TRD Offroad
    Toytec coilovers set at 3", 5100 shocks all around, rear AAL and 1"block, 18" Moto Metal 951's with 285/60/18 Terra Grapplers, Leer Topper, de-badged, T-rex billet grille, BHLM, K&N intake, Jardine catback, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, 8" kicker solo barik, Clarion 7" in dash dvd player. 12.1" flip down screen
    Anybody have any idea if I should set the truck to 0 before install and max out the UCA or set the Uca's to 1 and adjust from there.......anyone???

13. Aug 31, 2009 at 11:28 PM
    toku58

toku58 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Mall Crawler!
    21' TRD OffRoad 2" 887 OME on Bilstein 5100's. 285/70R17 General Grabbers G3 17x8.5" Icon TRD wheels (Gun metal gray) 4.75" BS
    You're right Cliff, The high end LT kits all use uniball. Not saying anything bad about them. They are "bullet proof"! And that's why they use them. I would be the first to recommend TC UCA's.

I just don't care for the bashing of a certain product, by people who have No basis, or shred of proof.

Passing on information is great! But passing on WRONG information, that annoys me! Because it makes it harder for me to help others here.

The LR's have their share of flaws. There is always room for improvement.

I believe that all of these products have their good and bad points.

I've done enough research on them to know. (I wish I had the money to design a UCA or a lift kit) I know most of the design flaws in the popular kits. But that's a different issue.:)

I wouldn't go as far as to say "LR's are the best" They are good for certain applications. Not all!;)

14. Sep 1, 2009 at 2:45 AM
    DrRabbitFurHead

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    Icon Extended Travel Coil Overs, Fox Rear Resi 8-Way Adjustable Shocks, Light Racing UCA's, OME Rear Leafs, M/T Classic Locks 17x9, Nitto T/G (285/70/R17), 5mm Billet Aluminum Spacers, Demello Sliders, All Pro Front Plate Bumper & IFS Skid Plate, PIAA 510's, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, O2 sims, Rear Timbren's & U-Bolt Flip Kit , 3* Rear Axel Shims, Extended Rear Brake Lines, 48" Hi-Lift with a ton of accessories, Wet Okoles, TRD bed mat, Borla Air Filter, Garmin Nuvi 765T, Viper 5901 remote start, 50% tint.
    That's an easy one. I live in po-dunk Salem,VA where the off road alignment shops = ZERO. I've had one alignment shop screw up my first alignment and I wore out my OEM tires. I had a second place, a Toyota dealership (that's right, I said dealership) do an alignment and asked for 2.1* caster on my OEM tires. They nailed 1.7* and 2.1* and didn't get close to what I asked for on the passenger side (besides the fact that they screwed up the toe).
    This last time I drove 28 miles one way from my house to another Toyota dealership. They normally do $49.95 alignments, called "toe and go". I spoke to them about my needs, had the technician who had NEVER done what I wanted to have done (moving the LCA by hand) looked at the job and estimated the time to do the job. He said that he wouldn't touch the job for any less than 2.5 hours which came to $198.60 for labor to GUARANTEE that they'd nail my numbers and buy me as much room as they could. After almost 6 hours on the alignment rack they nailed my numbers AND got me 1.5" of clearance that I didn't have before. Without this clearance, I could have NEVER went off road on a trail w/o ripping off my fenders! :eek: The tech told me (thru the service advisor) that when I went on the trails there would be almost NO CHANCE that my lower control arm would move, so my future alignments would be ~$70 to hit caster, camber and toe. The tough part was manually manipulating the LCA by hand.

To me $190 is a drop in the bucket. I'm not going to go on an arrogant rant about my financial situation, but just know that my truck's has been paid for since the day I bought it so money isn't the issue here. I just wanted the job done right!

Also, I've only been offroading once in my life! (city boy) I really had a fun time with my daughter (now 9 years old). She's the reason I'm doing all of this to my truck. As soon as some local boys set up a trip to go offroading, we're in. And if I need another $190 alignment when I'm done then that's money well spent if my daughter has a good time. I'm just hoping that the LCA doesn't move and they can give me the $70 alignment. PEACE!

15. Sep 1, 2009 at 3:03 AM
    DrRabbitFurHead

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    Well Brian, you went thru Camburg and Total Chaos before ending up with LR, so they were good enough for you. :p

They were and still are the ONLY UCA that advertises the caster adjustment ranges so after your saga, I was unwilling to try out another manufacturers brand fearing they wouldn't have enough adjustment. I'm just saying that they're the "best" for MANY (if not all) of the situations people on this forum find themselves in.

I too am still learning about different suspension set ups and didn't realize about the "limited" (if that's a fair word to use) up travel. I find that interesting because many people buy timbrens and jounce shocks which are intended to limit up travel. I've got a set of timbrens on order to keep the back wheels from ripping off the rear fenders under full load or full flex. Am I limiting my flex? Yes. I need to so that I don't rip off my rear fenders when hauling a truck load of mulch or dirt.

Also, "limited" up travel in terms of what? Do the LR have more or less up travel than stock? How much more or less up travel than stock do they have? How much less up travel do they have than the TC or any other brand? This would be very good information to share!

I'll be interested to see if light to moderate off roading with the LR UCA's has any restrictions... Only time will tell...

16. Sep 1, 2009 at 8:51 AM
    toku58

toku58 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Mall Crawler!
    I've seen people with the LR UCA's have issues with it hittind the top of the fender' which is actually impressive because it shows that there is a great deal of travel. I have yet to come accross anyone having them hit to coils due to over extending of the suspension?
    I've seen many cases of both Camburg & TC hittiing the coils.
    So again the uniball is bullet proof! But the design is flawed.

17. Sep 1, 2009 at 11:36 AM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    I guess the most expensive part isn't always the best! A question to you guys with the LR UCA, what kind of ball joint is it, would it be something that if it did wear out, could be ordered from an auto parts store? Or is it something you would have to get from Light Racing?

marinemonkey likes this.
  18. Sep 1, 2009 at 12:08 PM
    NwiTACO

NwiTACO Big tars, little/no bed.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport
    Custom Everything, 1 Ton Axles F & R
    The LR's hit the top of the inner fender because the sit flatter at ride height. This is also why they don't hit the coils at droop like uni-ball arms.

The whole point is you need to get what will be best for your driving style. If you really off-road hard and frequent you want uni's if you want caster adjustment and you just want a street queen, go LR.

The OP simply siad LR was the best, and that depends.

19. Sep 1, 2009 at 1:29 PM
    BeachBoy

BeachBoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    VT & QC
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC LB Sport+Leather
    Icon Extended COs / Camburg UCA / ATX Predator Teflon / Mickey Thompson MTZ / Color-Matched emblems / All-Pro Bumper & skids / Stubbs HD-SKO / Alcans custom leafs / U-Bolt flip / Icon rear resi shocks / Rear Bumper
    I was about to write the same thing. hitting the top means absolutely nothing, if you start higher than the other ones, you'll end up higher at compression too.

only full travel number (from full droop to compression) and/or ramp height will prove that one works better than the other.

20. Sep 1, 2009 at 6:05 PM
    toku58

toku58 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Mall Crawler!
    And this is why the LR's have a better range of travel.

It's BS comments like this!:annoyed:

Eh! Forget it! You guys know it all!

Good Luck!

Products Discussed in

To Top