1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The Bullaculla 3 link SAS build (pic heavy)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by bullaculla, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Oct 6, 2013 at 6:04 PM
    ThatguyJZ

ThatguyJZ Instagram: thatguyjz

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    TRIAD, NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DCSB 4x4 TRD Off Road
    A TRD OR built into a Baja/PRO hybrid
    I'm diggin' this thread. Excellent build! Your truck's really come a long way!

2. Oct 6, 2013 at 7:29 PM
    kh7nm

kh7nm Stay Boosted

Member:
    First Name:
    Miles
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM DC 4x4 TX PRO Off Road
    What have you done to your truck lately
    How much was the springs? I mighy have to upgrade mine too to 700lbs. Full load scraping in the front.

3. Oct 6, 2013 at 9:28 PM
    bullaculla

bullaculla [OP] IKA fabrications

Member:
    Da big big island!
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB Tacoma 4X4 TRD Off Road
    All pro 3 link SAS kit, Diamond axle, kings on 37" MTR/K
    PM sent.

4. Oct 7, 2013 at 12:26 PM
    luka

luka Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner -> 4WD Converted
    Pelfreybilt, Warn, BAMF, DTRL toggle on/off, FJ OEM Fog/Aux Light switches, 2012 lower center console swap, wired in auto-dimming rear view mirror, Wet-Okole inside, Weathertech , Rigid, Tint, Roto-Pax, Bestop, OME, Extended SS brake lines, TRD TX Pro/Baja Graphite 16" Rims
    That's the kind of spring compressor I broke doing my 886's...it blew up in my face and I lost the big nut...made me happy I had eye-pro on :D

don't wanna try using your LCA as a swing hinge? since you'll probably have to get an alignment after anyways? :cool:

5. Oct 7, 2013 at 3:17 PM
    bullaculla

Member:
    Da big big island!
    Vehicle:
    I don't think that method will work with coilovers? The bottom spring retainer has to slide upwards so you can remove the spring retaining clip.

6. Oct 7, 2013 at 5:28 PM
    bullaculla

Member:
    Da big big island!
    Vehicle:
    Had to leave work early today...
    cause I knew this would be here!
    [​IMG]
    Sorry for the crappy pics... The Iphone doesn't like being aimed at the sun. I'll take some nice poseur shots this weekend with a real camera :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Doggies already making themselves at home! I also got the screen window for the pups.
    [​IMG]
    Special thanks to DoorDing. He has a bunch of great tips and pics in his build thread that really helped with the install.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
    SFCShifty likes this.
  7. Oct 7, 2013 at 6:10 PM
    bullaculla

Member:
    Da big big island!
    Vehicle:
    I have no idea where those stand...
    I only ordered them almost 4 months ago, but it seems like its taking forever :D

8. Oct 7, 2013 at 9:06 PM
    Andres

Andres Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Andres
    Hawthorne, CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tacoma TRD off-road
    cool build bro!

:thumbsup:

9. Oct 7, 2013 at 9:27 PM
    bullaculla

Member:
    Da big big island!
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Andres!

10. Oct 8, 2013 at 9:16 AM
    luka

luka Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle:
    Pelfreybilt, Warn, BAMF, DTRL toggle on/off, FJ OEM Fog/Aux Light switches, 2012 lower center console swap, wired in auto-dimming rear view mirror, Wet-Okole inside, Weathertech , Rigid, Tint, Roto-Pax, Bestop, OME, Extended SS brake lines, TRD TX Pro/Baja Graphite 16" Rims
    It was red so i'm not sure, actually still have it in a locker at work...I snapped the threaded rod, it looked like 1/2" acme threads too...

The amount of force released pushed my 60lb tool bag almost off the tailgate, and yanked my big 1/2" ratchet out of my hand. Checked myself out for any mising fingers and blood and then started looking for the hardware..I don't think i'll try and compress springs that big anymore :D

ahh...sad.

11. Oct 9, 2013 at 10:23 PM
    batmobile

batmobile Well-Known Member

Member:
    Honolulu, HI
    Vehicle:
    '13 PreRunner
    how heavy do you think each one of your wheels are?

12. Oct 9, 2013 at 11:03 PM
    bullaculla

Member:
    Da big big island!
    Vehicle:
    Not real sure on exact wheel weight, but I know it's less than the stock OR wheels, and with the bigger tires mounted, very close to the stock wheel and tire weight. I think it's in the konig countersteer off-road thread in the for sale section, but that's a super long thread. or you can PM Dustin http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/member.php?u=35758

13. Oct 10, 2013 at 1:51 PM
    JdMeF9SiR2

JdMeF9SiR2 FN Wheels

Member:
    Corona, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra 06 Tacoma 14 FJ Cruiser 19 Tundra
    Thanks for directing me here bullaculla. Your truck and your photos are awesome and an inspiration for us all. :)

batmobile: I've weighed the 16x8" Konig Countersteer Offroad on a digital postage scale to be right around 18.5lbs per wheel. I hope this info helps.

14. Oct 10, 2013 at 8:03 PM
    batmobile

batmobile Well-Known Member

Member:
    Honolulu, HI
    Vehicle:
    '13 PreRunner

it does. thanks both you guys.

15. Oct 12, 2013 at 2:20 AM
    jpop8807

jpop8807 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Fort Hood
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prerunner TRD 2wd
    Nice truck man. Looks amazing. I was looking to get the mid travel setup from downsouth as well. What made you decide on the mini pack? I think the other options were the j66 and dakars. Just wondering So I'll have better input on which setup to get

16. Oct 12, 2013 at 8:59 AM
    bullaculla

Member:
    Da big big island!
    Vehicle:
    Shipping. I want and will probably get dakars eventually, but shipping them here is pretty bad.
    Thanks! :)

17. Oct 13, 2013 at 3:27 AM
    luka

luka Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle:
    I got mine from 4wp...cheapest shipping option here but it was a little slow.

I have extra bushings needed for installation too ;)

18. Oct 13, 2013 at 1:17 PM
    bullaculla

Member:
    Da big big island!
    Vehicle:
    So I have been patiently waiting for this weekend to come so I could install my 700# coils. Before I removed the coilovers from the truck, I wrapped the coils with some ratcheting straps to keep the spring compressed. I loosened the preload adjustment ring and backed it off enough to remove the lower spring retainer. Now I have this coiled up spring loaded with energy. I laid it down on its side and wrapped it with a moving pad and released the ratcheting clamps. No problem with that. But there was no way I was gonna be able to compress the 700# coil enough to install them on the shock bodies. The clamshell type compressor I bought and the running thread type that Luka loaned me would not work with the 2.5" fox shock bodies. Not enough space between the shock and spring for the hooks.
    So I decide to call around my nearby service stations to have them use their real spring compressor to mount my coils. I called atleast 6 service stations. Saturday. All the mechanics are off. I finally called Ron's Performance in town, and they said they had some one that could do it. I drop them off, they said they'll call when its done. I told the guy to back off the preload rings all the way. When I picked them up, the one that I had already removed and loose was backed all the way off, but the other one still had the same amount of preload for the 600# coil. I thought I could back it off myself so I paid them the $85 they charged me, and took my coilovers home. I mount them on the truck and loosen the clamp screw and start backing off on the preload. I guess I loosened the clamp screw too much because the amount of force from the spring cocked the split ring and made one side jump a tooth. Afraid to damage the threads, I quickly call Ron's again, and they said I can bring it back. I get there and the mechanic I just talked to had left early too go eat dinner! :mad: Nothing but sales guys there. I told the manager what happened and he was upset with his guy and tried to call him back on the phone, but he wasn't answering. So he let me come in the back and we both worked it, got the ring straightened out and backed it off. He didn't want any money or beer, so I told him I will buy my next set of tires from them.
    By this time its 5pm. I get home and as soon as I take the coilover out of the car, I realize that I left the lower shock mount spacers at the shop. I tried to call but they had left for the day. They would be closed sunday, and Monday because of the holiday... I have the spacers for the other side, so I could easily make a replacement set at work on Monday, but I would not be able to drive my truck. So I left my house at 6pm to go and make the spacers in my shop. I got permission from my supervisor who was surprisingly ok with it. Was home by 8pm with this.
    [​IMG]
    Can you tell which is the original? :D
    Everything is within .0005" and it felt really good for something to go right :) I really needed that. What a long and frustrating day!
    My truck was like this all day Saturday and most of Sunday morning.
    [​IMG]
    Preload with 600# coil with ride height at 22-1/4" (hub to fender)
    [​IMG]
    Preload with 700# coil with ride height at 23-1/2" :D it will settle and now I have lots of room to adjust.
    [​IMG]
    When I first got these coilovers, I thought that this split clamp type retaining ring was better than the old school double lock rings. I have changed my mind.
    The tried and true way is better. There is no way it would have jumped a tooth with the regular style.
    So now my truck is all back together, I got some ride height back, and my pipefitter friend is on the way to my place to weld on my headlight hoops! :D

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  19. Oct 13, 2013 at 6:57 PM
    kh7nm

kh7nm Stay Boosted

Member:
    First Name:
    Miles
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM DC 4x4 TX PRO Off Road
    What have you done to your truck lately
    Looking good let me know how the ride is if it is stiffer. I left you a voicemail and pm on the high lift jack.

20. Oct 13, 2013 at 11:53 PM
    bullaculla

Member:
    Da big big island!
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Miles :)

I got my hoops on! After I got my front end together, one of my pipefitter friends from pearl harbor came to my place with his TIG machine and helped me fit up and weld the headlight hoops on. Thanks Hanohano!
    [​IMG]
    He was welding while I cut off the other brace. I thought about leaving the braces on and running the hoops, but I think it looks cleaner this way.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It doesn't look very uniform because he was walking the cup.
    [​IMG]
    I just shot the raw steel with some primer for now. I'll take it all off again later and drop it off for powdercoating.
    [​IMG]
    I'll take a straight on pic and post it later. It is very even on both sides.
    [​IMG]
    So happy I finally got my hoops on! :D Very productive weekend!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
    MotoEd likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top