1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The Central Virginian Thread

Discussion in 'Virginia' started by Ccwahoo, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Mar 8, 2014 at 7:13 PM
    VABOWHUNT

VABOWHUNT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2013 Double Cab Short Bed
    20×9 Fuel Anza's, 295/50/20 Nitto Trail Grapplers, Toytec Ultimate Lift, 20"Rigid Industries SR Hybrid Light & Grill Combo, K&N Cold Air Intake, Air Raid Throttle Body Spacer, Magna Flow Performance Exhaust, Body Armor Slider/Step Rails with Light Kit, Body Armor Back Bumper with Swing Gate and matching spare.
    Just let me know if and when ckeene9. By the way that 2012 is bad ass. I check out your build. I could ask YOU a million questions. I see you are in Midlothian. Just hit me up and i d like to see that thing in person. Im specifically interested in the details on that super charger.

2. Mar 10, 2014 at 4:48 AM
    MadMtnMikey

MadMtnMikey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Richmond/VaBeach
    Vehicle:
    03 DC 4x4 SR5 TRD
    Tough to get this crowd together... I see modded Tacos all over RVA all the time, few get on here, and the ones that do rarely post. Burgman and I get together to help eachother on our trucks now and then, and I've met up with Ckeene before, that's about it.

3. Mar 10, 2014 at 7:26 AM
    ruggedT

ruggedT The Sticker Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Stan
    Midlothian, Va
    Vehicle:
    2016 Ford F250
    Diesel on 35's
    Its a tough crowd in here. Im open to help even tho I have a ford now

4. Mar 10, 2014 at 4:16 PM
    Slimwood Shady

Slimwood Shady I love your mom!

Member:
    First Name:
    Linwood
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    '23 TRD Pro Tundra; 996TT; '16 Odyssey
    #nomods
  5. Mar 10, 2014 at 5:21 PM
    VABOWHUNT

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    20×9 Fuel Anza's, 295/50/20 Nitto Trail Grapplers, Toytec Ultimate Lift, 20"Rigid Industries SR Hybrid Light & Grill Combo, K&N Cold Air Intake, Air Raid Throttle Body Spacer, Magna Flow Performance Exhaust, Body Armor Slider/Step Rails with Light Kit, Body Armor Back Bumper with Swing Gate and matching spare.
    Its cool, I was just curious about any local meets. Thanks for the replies though.

6. Mar 10, 2014 at 5:31 PM
    MadMtnMikey

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Richmond/VaBeach
    Vehicle:
    03 DC 4x4 SR5 TRD
    So what kind of Bow do you shoot ?

7. Mar 11, 2014 at 5:35 AM
    VABOWHUNT

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Right now I'm shooting a PSE Vengeance. Also (trying to) a vintage Bear recurve. When in a ground blind a Horton Vision (reverse limb) crossbow. Not a big fan of the x-bow but sometimes it comes in handy. How about you?

8. Mar 11, 2014 at 5:39 AM
    ckeene9

ckeene9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chesterfield, VA
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB Supercharged 4x4 TRD Sport
    See Build Thread
    I've got a PSE Brute but haven't really hunted a bunch since moving up here. Hard to justify when you can't hunt Sunday.

9. Mar 11, 2014 at 6:04 AM
    VABOWHUNT

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    From what I heard the VA Sunday hunting bill passed this year and I believe that the Governor is supposed to sign it into law. Only on private land though and from what I read no Sunday dog hunting either. But don't quote me on it. I thought I read it on the department of game an inland fisheries though. But I don't get out there as much as I used to either with having a two year old son. But soon enough he will be in the woods with me!!!

10. Mar 11, 2014 at 8:15 AM
    FrustrationFabTaco

FrustrationFabTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Lexington, VA
    Vehicle:
    11 Duramax Grandpa Truck Special
    :spy:

I heard it passed as well.

11. Mar 11, 2014 at 8:55 AM
    ruggedT

ruggedT The Sticker Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Stan
    Midlothian, Va
    Vehicle:
    2016 Ford F250
    Diesel on 35's
    ^^ Man I hope so

12. Mar 11, 2014 at 9:06 AM
    MadMtnMikey

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Richmond/VaBeach
    Vehicle:
    03 DC 4x4 SR5 TRD
    I'm a washed up bow hunter... I've got a vintage compound Bear as well, it's a Polaris II model. Had it stored for a long, long time, broke it out last year to get back into it and found one of the cams had cracked and Bear no longer support the old round cams.

I went to the Hunt N' Shack, they pointed me to a Mathews as a nice entry level Bow if I want to get back into it, $400 all setup ready to hunt and Mathews will give me a 15% veteran discount. Haven't pulled the trigger on the purchase though, I'm bad about impulse buying and I've been dumping a lot of money into the truck.

13. Mar 11, 2014 at 10:18 AM
    VABOWHUNT

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    As for the Hunt N Shack in Goochland I'm not a fan. That is where I bought my PSE to begin with. Now this was 5 to7 years ago but the guy was pretty damn rude for a guy trying to sell me a $800 bare bow. Bought it anyway and took it home in Midlothian an hour away. Let my buddy check it out that afternoon and he accidentally dry fired it:eek:. Blew the string up and that was about it. Took it back to the guy within 24 hours of buying the bow and he charged me for the string and that's cool but then he charged me to put it on. WTF??? Now I go only to Pat's Sporting Goods of rt1 in Chester. Mike is very educated and fair when it come to parts,arrows,and repairs. You by anything from him and putting it on the bow is for free. Just my experience there anyway. Sorry about the rant but that shit left bad taste in my mouth....

14. Mar 11, 2014 at 10:25 AM
    MadMtnMikey

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Richmond/VaBeach
    Vehicle:
    03 DC 4x4 SR5 TRD
    All good... I have no knowledge or loyalty to any shops around town. I haven't hunted since living in VA for about 11 years, 15 or 16 if you count my military time... You taught me another place to look anyway. My neighbor told me about Hunt N' Shack, so that's why I took my bow out there. $400 didn't seem bad for a full setup, but everything has changed since I was shooting as a teen so I really wouldn't know anymore.

Biggest obstacle probably keeping me away from making the investment of a new bow is knowing of a convenient place to go shoot it.

15. Mar 11, 2014 at 10:42 AM
    VABOWHUNT

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Now this could have changed but Pat's used to have a nice target range out back and for only $5 I think. But it has been a minute since I've needed to go up there. This is the best time to shop though. Best prices. As for shooting I shoot in the back yard but I believe their is a range in the Amellia Wildlife. Also a rifle range (one of my faves when .223 were cheap).

16. Mar 11, 2014 at 10:47 AM
    VABOWHUNT

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    (804)748-4165 is the number up there at Pats. I just called Mike and he said the range was still there and still only $5 dollars a day!!! No Crossbows though(tears up the targets).

17. Mar 11, 2014 at 10:54 AM
    MadMtnMikey

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Richmond/VaBeach
    Vehicle:
    03 DC 4x4 SR5 TRD
    I've heard of a range out in Amelia. Not that convenient though... I live within city limits on southside. When I used to shoot, there was an indoor range about 2 miles from my house, I was a bit spoiled with that. Our family friend that taught me had his backyard setup as well, tree stand and all so it was as realistic as he could make it.

Tell ya what boggles my mind since I've lived here.... This bs of using dogs and high power rifles down here... Grew up in Ohio and it was either bow, musket, or shotgun, and you either had a small group and walked it out, or sat in a stand for countless hours hoping you picked a good spot, haha.... using dogs seems to almost make it too easy.

18. Mar 11, 2014 at 12:14 PM
    VABOWHUNT

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    I do hunt with dogs in the season. Its pretty fun with the right group of guys and dogs. Me and my best friend have ran a club for the last ten years and we have had a blast.He is originally from Wisconsin so we know what you mean. But around here if you can't beat em join em. No point still hunting when other clubs dogs are in the woods. Plus in bow season they seem to be to far for a shot. In muzzleloader season they all seem to disappear. So by dog season I'm ready to drop a 10 pack of dogs and watch them come out like cockroaches.....

Plus in Va deer are over populated. We are on DMAP which is a government
    Program to help control the population.

19. Mar 11, 2014 at 3:14 PM
    DavidH

DavidH Active Member

Member:
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Off Road SR5
    ImMrYo rearview mirror bracket, MBRP Dual Exhaust, aFe stage 2 sealed CAI, LED map and dome lights, Toytec BOSS 3inch lift kit, LR UCA's, 285/75r16 Kelly Safari TSR, American Racing Artillery wheels
    Rockwood Park has bow ranges that are free if you are near there. I've been there a few times with my brother. It's off courthouse by hull street.

20. Mar 11, 2014 at 4:01 PM
    VABOWHUNT

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    True that. I haven't been to that range since I was young. I live within 10 miles or so from there. What kind of targets do they have?

Products Discussed in

To Top