1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The clunk

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Ttowntacoma, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Oct 30, 2017 at 1:32 PM
    ImpulsedComa

ImpulsedComa Well-Known Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Double Cab 4x4 SR5 V6
    bringing this back from the dead with a question. As stated before, I have the clunk when coming to a stop and when starting from a stop. I have 2 new spring fro each side of the brake pads and I am going to replace the brakes and rotors with oem equipment. I also have the ford grease mentioned earlier to grease my slip yoke. I have narrowed the clunk down to only after the truck has warmed up. When I first start driving, the clunk does not exist... Only afetr driving for a while does the clunk start. What could that mean? Brakes heat up and then the clunk starts or the the slip yoke heats up and causes the clunk? Now that its a little colder here in Jersey, the clunk takes a little longer to start happening. What does anyone think, Im grateful for any input. FYI im lifted 1 3/4 in the rear with icon 3 leaf and 1.75 in the front with bilstiens at 0 and eibachs.

2. Oct 31, 2017 at 1:17 PM
    ImpulsedComa

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Double Cab 4x4 SR5 V6
    anyone? Happens when the truck is warm...

3. Oct 31, 2017 at 1:32 PM
    DaveInDenver

DaveInDenver Not Actually in Denver

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Grand Junction
    Vehicle:
    2008 Super White TRDOR AC 6MT
    Unexceptional
    I doubt temperature has any affect on the brakes but maybe it would on slip yoke grease. But that doesn't warm up like engine, transmission, diff or even wheel bearing grease might.

Do you have an automatic or manual transmission? Maybe wheel bearings, ball joints, bushing? The brakes clunk I had did it out of the gate in the morning, warm or cold. It seems dependent on backing up, usually the next stop after reversing would clunk.

Seems like it would have to be something that's either shrinking or swelling depending on temperature.

4. Nov 1, 2017 at 6:56 AM
    TRDTipton

TRDTipton Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Eastern TN
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 tow package
    Im experiencing the thump at times when coming to a stop and shortly after takeoff. Took it to a driveline shop and the owner inspected the shaft for which he said my carrier bearing had too much play. I originally took it there for them to regrease the slip yoke but will now be replacing the carrier bearing to see if it helps the thump. It is on order now and will be installed in less than a week. Will report back to advise if my thumping has been cured.

5. Nov 1, 2017 at 7:00 AM
    MattCowsmasher

MattCowsmasher ( -_・)ᡕᠵ᠊ᡃ່࡚ࠢ࠘⸝່ࠡࠣ᠊߯᠆ࠣ࠘ᡁࠣ࠘᠊᠊ࠢ࠘

Member:
    Temple, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2015 sporty dcsb 4wd
    Lifted, armored, lumenz w/ switches, positraked, long legged, big tars, debadged with a hood skewp
    My clunk started after an alignment turned out lower control arm bolts were not torqued. Tightened up no clunk, happend when put in drive an reverse an sometimes turning or after a semi hard stop when I released the brake pedal.

6. Nov 1, 2017 at 7:01 AM
    Krogen

Krogen Well-Known Member

Member:
    Puget Sound
    Vehicle:
    14 AC V6 6sp 4x4 Off-Road
    I had exactly the same clunk with an old Ford F100. The spline connecting the driveshaft to the transmission needed grease. Being dry it didn't accommodate the movement of the rear diff when starting or stopping. So, it would hang until it had enough and then pop to a new position.

7. Nov 1, 2017 at 1:14 PM
    ImpulsedComa

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Double Cab 4x4 SR5 V6
    Thanks for the suggestions. Lower control arms are torqued to spec and Im sure they are not the culprit. The brake pads are in good order and Im not sure of the condition of the grease in the slip yoke. Whats confusing me is as the weather gets colder, the truck takes longer to make the sound. When I would take it on out in the summer, the clunk would occur way faster. I drove the truck this morning in 50 degree weather and no clunk on my 10 minute drive to work. Maybe when the brakes heat up or does the slip yoke heat up or carrier bearing?

8. Nov 1, 2017 at 1:20 PM
    lynlan1819

lynlan1819 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tacoma
    Lifted
    Its the junk pinion gear in the rear ends that cause the clunk,Toyota has the worst sloppy gearing ,no quality control in the loose pinion gears at all.When I took my truck in and showed them how sloppy the gear was,they said what they always say,its fuc..ing normal

9. Nov 1, 2017 at 2:40 PM
    ImpulsedComa

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Double Cab 4x4 SR5 V6
    would that only clunk when warm? truck drives great until the clunk comes. Takes around a half hour in warmer weather and mot sure how long it takes when its colder because i havent driven the truck that far yet in this weather.

10. Nov 2, 2017 at 5:30 PM
    TRDTipton

TRDTipton Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Eastern TN
    Vehicle:
    Im getting the carrier bearing replaced tomorrow. My clunk sounds similar to yours in that when it is cold its almost non existent however warmer weather brings it 100% of the time. Check for too much play in your carrier bearing, there is supposed to be a little play but too much is a bad thing. Ill report back tomorrow with findings. Could also be a bad u joint.

11. Nov 2, 2017 at 6:18 PM
    ImpulsedComa

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Double Cab 4x4 SR5 V6
    Ok thank you, definitely let me know what happens

12. Nov 3, 2017 at 12:54 PM
    TRDTipton

TRDTipton Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Eastern TN
    Vehicle:
    Clunk has been defeated. I originally took it in just to get the slip yoke greased after research but was talked into also changing the carrier bearing due to excessive play. Carrier bearing was only 75 bucks. So tech said he changed it out and went to check slip yoke and it was bone dry so he greased it up. No clunk whatsoever now. Ive defeated the dreaded 30-40mph vibe with ECGS bushing, clunk at start/stop im crediting to regreasing slip yoke but new carrier bearing while your at it isnt a bad idea. Went with spicer. Now im pretty comfy come and go in the Taco.

13. Nov 3, 2017 at 12:57 PM
    TRDTipton

TRDTipton Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Eastern TN
    Vehicle:
    Find a driveshop if you dont want to mess with disconnecting driveshaft. I paid 190 for regrease of u joints, new spicer carrier bearing, regrease slip yoke and a cleaned up driveshaft. They said my ujoints were good. 108k miles 2011

14. Nov 3, 2017 at 2:10 PM
    ImpulsedComa

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Double Cab 4x4 SR5 V6
    Great news. I'll look around for a drive shaft shop. Or if i can find Spicer part numbers for all the u joints and carrier bearing, I'd rather buy the stuff myself and bring it to them so i just get charged labor. Either way, awesome news cause yours was just like mine in only warm weather.

15. Jul 13, 2020 at 8:44 PM
    cruisinforhawgs

cruisinforhawgs Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD OR 4X4
    leveling kit lol
    Impulsed it sounds like you and I have the exact same issue. Did you find a cure?

16. Jul 14, 2020 at 4:10 AM
    GP_spence

GP_spence Well-Known Member

Member:
    AL
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD Off-Road 4x4
    The cure is to grease the slip joint.

17. Jul 14, 2020 at 8:20 AM
    cruisinforhawgs

cruisinforhawgs Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD OR 4X4
    leveling kit lol
    If left un-greased, is it causing any long term damage?

18. Jul 15, 2020 at 4:16 AM
    GP_spence

GP_spence Well-Known Member

Member:
    AL
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD Off-Road 4x4
    Nah most of these trucks have the clunk. It's a design flaw due to non greasable yoke, paired with really weak leaf springs that allow too much axle movement. In the past I have unbolted the carrier bearing, pulled the two driveshaft pieces at the yoke out as far as I can, and apply the ford moly grease. It's a lazy man's cure but I didn't have to unbolt the entire shaft and the clunk went away for a few months. Came back later though.

19. Jul 15, 2020 at 4:34 AM
    DaveInDenver

DaveInDenver Not Actually in Denver

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Grand Junction
    Vehicle:
    2008 Super White TRDOR AC 6MT
    Unexceptional
    The slip yoke on our trucks doesn't have a grease fitting so it's not an easy thing to maintain. I personally never greased mine and by about 95k it had worn enough that grease didn't help for more than a few miles. It just gets displaced and the clunking starts again.

IMG_0833_mid.jpg

As I chased it down I ended up having a new slip yoke put in my driveshaft. But I'd also replaced all my u-joints and the carrier bearing. In my case I think the carrier being completely worn and shifting around was the primary source of the clunk but the yoke was bad enough that the shaft wobble made effective balancing impossible.

I have no clunk whatsoever now. It's feels very solid in that regard. After all this I do have more vibrations, though. So it's never ending. :-/

IMG_0819_mid.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top