1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

"The Dark Tower" Series, Any Fans?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by 2TRunner, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Apr 24, 2012 at 12:01 PM
    oZmonKey

oZmonKey Big Metal Hubajube

Member:
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Black 98
    Unknown Spacer Lift.
    Downloaded the new one this morning. Haven't cracked it's virtual cover yet though.

2. Apr 24, 2012 at 5:10 PM
    TacoCat

TacoCat These pretzels are making me thirsty

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    Didnt realize it was out. Wonder how much it would be for kindle

3. Apr 24, 2012 at 6:39 PM
    2TRunner

2TRunner [OP] Snoop Dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    My House Usually
    Got it this morning. like $20 at Barnes and Noble.

Read a few pages, but haven't really had the time to sit and enjoy it.

4. Apr 24, 2012 at 6:46 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    I Love The Dark Tower Series!!!!

I was actually thinking of starting a thread on it...:eek:

Just picked up The Wind Through The Keyhole.

I have almost every SK book in hardcover first ed.

I have all but DT1 in Donald M Grant ed.

Great Thread!

5. Apr 25, 2012 at 9:25 AM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
    I've read it 5 times from start to finish.

Kind of a fan :eek:

And Wizards and Glass is my favorite of all 7... it stands alone as one of the best novels I've read.

6. Apr 25, 2012 at 9:27 AM
    Madjik_Man

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    Gotta pick this up myself.

7. Apr 25, 2012 at 9:29 AM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    The whole story really takes off in The Waste Lands...
    I read that book so many times I can recite parts of it...:eek:
    The end is frustrating but it is my favorite.

8. Apr 25, 2012 at 9:31 AM
    Madjik_Man

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    Without spoiling, I think the end is as perfect an ending he could come up with.

9. Apr 25, 2012 at 9:33 AM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    I agree 100%
    But having to wait YEARS for Wizard and Glass made me want to write angry letters...:eek:

10. Apr 25, 2012 at 9:37 AM
    Madjik_Man

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    So you were one of "those" he talked about in the prologue?

:eek:

11. Apr 25, 2012 at 9:38 AM
    Haslefre

Haslefre Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    TN
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra
    Some flags and center console divider... lots of things on the wanted list.
    Dark Tower series is one of my favorite series' of books ever. I loved them. I read the first 6 and then... had to wait for the last one for 2 years. I had to go back and read them all again when I finally got the last one. The final book was my favorite like someone else said. Very unexpected.
    Every time I read it and think it should be a movie, I see Roland being played by Clint Eastwood in his prime. And maybe Jake Glylenhall(sp?) for the younger Roland.

12. Apr 25, 2012 at 9:41 AM
    Madjik_Man

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    Yeah everyone sees a young Eastwood, obviously.

But there has been so much struggle with making it into a movie.

The latest plan is that it will be a trilogy with a mini-series on TV in between both movies 1 and 2. Javier Bardem (sp?) is cast as Roland.

At first JJ Abrahms bought the rights to the movie(s) for $19 :eek:

But then Ron Howard bought it from him and that's who has the rights now.

13. Apr 25, 2012 at 9:43 AM
    Haslefre

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    TN
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra
    It would have been a tough movie to make 15 years ago. But, with modern CG and everything it would be an awesome movie. Nothing like The Stand was for sure (however, I do love that book/movie and watch it atleast once a year:rolleyes:).

14. Apr 25, 2012 at 9:54 AM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    I felt that way but never wrote to him about it. ;)
    I got a paperback version of The Drawing of the Three from my mothers friend when I was in the Hospital due to a bike accident when I was 16 yrs old.
    I'm 38 now.:eek:
    I saw a credit to The Gunslinger in the "previous novels" part at the beginning of Pet Sematary - It was the first time the DT novels were mentioned outside of the original Donald M Grant limited edition of the first book (which was not widely distributed).
    FYI - I read on one of the SK websites that JJ Abrams bought the Movie rights to the DT Series for $19:rolleyes:
    Due to the time line of the story I envisioned a Computer Animation type adaptation... :notsure:

15. Apr 25, 2012 at 9:55 AM
    TacoCat

TacoCat These pretzels are making me thirsty

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    :anonymous: me too

16. Apr 25, 2012 at 9:55 AM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    I did not know that...:eek:

17. Apr 25, 2012 at 10:10 AM
    Madjik_Man

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    That's the best part.

In years past King would never once care about the quality of the adaptation... he would just go for the most money for the rights.

However with DT being his magnus opus he wanted it to be done right, so he didn't care about money... hence the $19.

I think that's fucking awesome

18. Apr 25, 2012 at 10:18 AM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    Ditto. ;)

19. Apr 25, 2012 at 10:44 AM
    Haslefre

Member:
    First Name:
    Brady
    TN
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra
    I bought the "encyclopedia" of the books I guess it would be called once upon a time. I saw all the little connections to every single one of his books. Even the short stories I had never read. Brought be more into reading the rest of his books I hadn't heard of. I love all of his work except for one book. I did not care for Eyes of the Dragon.

20. Apr 25, 2012 at 11:56 AM
    Squisha

Squisha Well-Known Member

Member:
    Westminster, CO
    Vehicle:
    99 Taco Reg Cab 4x4
    Big fan. Read 'em all. Loved 'em all. Have the audio version of the new one queued up right now.

Am I a sap if Oy was my favorite character?

Love the fact that so many other books are intertwined. I would consider The Stand, 'Salem's Lot, and Insomnia required reading to get full appreciation of the DT series. Especially 'Salem's Lot (get that one in between books 4 and 5 for continuity).

Products Discussed in

To Top