1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The Demello Offroad Rear Bumper Project

Discussion in 'Demello Offroad' started by TACODOC1, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Aug 23, 2012 at 7:30 PM
    TACODOC1

TACODOC1 [OP] AmericanAdventurist.com

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4WD V6 SR5 TRD Offroad
    See TACODOC.com!
    Looks like the swingout will be going on next week and then all the finer details will be added and then off for powder coat... stay tuned ;)

IMG_0926_177a295cc859ed94ed481597b27490db8f6bd130.jpg

IMG_0927_79e4bdc23efcb55ad8895d5f2eba1f012eb9c9ee.jpg

IMG_0928_0d7386c04e9ddad14f610a5611d2811a130b5083.jpg

2. Aug 24, 2012 at 8:32 AM
    midlife4X4fix

midlife4X4fix Well-Known Member

Member:
    Berkeley, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma XC 4X4 stick
    1-1/2" Lift, Larger Tires, Headache Rack, Tool Box in Bed, Tailgate retainer clamp and cable, Grillecraft grille, RECARO Seats, Re-upholstered interior with matching RECARO fabric, painted all chrome areas and debadged entire Truck, BAMF sliders, Blacked out headlight inner frames and misc interior trim panels, Removed XM Fin, Removed front and rear bumpers. Rigid SR 20" LED Light bar, Pelfreybuilt Front Plate Bumper Ordered. Looking at Rear Plate Bumpers now.
  3. Aug 29, 2012 at 6:03 PM
    Tbird

Tbird Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Santa Teresa, NM
    Vehicle:
    05 4X4 TRD Sport Access cab (white)
    ICON Ext.trav coilovers, rear ICON w/res. TC UCAs. All-pro 3" leafpac & U-bolt flip kit. Konig Countersteer offroad wheels. Goodyear Durtracs 260/75/16. Blacked-out badging, BHLM, Extra D-rings, Satoshi grill, SockMonkey "All Terrain" decals, Avid Off-road light bar and rock rails, Wet Okey seat covers. Weathertech digital fit floor mats. GROM ipod interface.
    Hi Tacodoc...

1st...Just today I saw a Tacoma here in El Paso, TX that had a custom rear bumper. I flagged down the truck and the driver told me it was a DeMello. It looked just like this one. So I figure Jason has done something like this before??? It had a swinggate w/ only a spare tire on it. It was very nice...and I am VERY interested in one just like it...unfortunately we were in traffic and I couldn't get his contact info to learn more about it. Tell Jason he may need to make more than one of these!

2nd...I was just on a long trip to California and had two flats...sidewall punctures on a 4WD road (not rocks) and a highway blowout. I usually carry TWO spares...but didn't on this trip. I am wanting to upgrade my BruteForceFab rear bumper to a high clearance version w/ a swing gate for the sole purpose of carrying a 2nd spare tire (one below/one on bumper). But here you seem to be carrying only 1 spare. What is your rationale for only 1 spare/vs. 2 spares? Thanks in advance for the insight on your experiences.

I can image it gets old having to swing out the gate to get into the Flippac each time (tire so high)...I'll be dealing with that too. But I could get a windoor to allieve that irritant.

4. Aug 31, 2012 at 6:44 PM
    TACODOC1

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    See TACODOC.com!
    I have never needed 2 spares, but the new swingout will have the option to add the tire carrier. My biggest rationale is that I never travel alone and 2 spares is heavy and not worth the MPG hit. I have an excellent tire repair kit and know how to use it.

The pending design of the swingout is going to be modular i.e. you can add things ala cart like tire carrier, 2 cans/4 cans etc. Basic bumper will be pretty cookie cutter but the swingout is where people's needs differ - stay tuned.

5. Aug 31, 2012 at 6:52 PM
    TACODOC1

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    See TACODOC.com!
    Getting the swingout dialed in. This configuration allows for 2 or 4 cans (your choice) as well as propane, pioneer tools and Hi-Lift. Stout, traditional tow hitch as well as recovery points and Hi-Lift jack friendly. An optional spare tire mount can be attached in the center as well (2 spares anyone?)

Next up will be a receiver on the swingout for attaching a Thule or Yakima bike rack, LED rear back up/camp light and fold down aluminum table.

2-1_8ecf2c5bce88e8ec4d5b5961dec0601a0200e609.jpg

6. Aug 31, 2012 at 8:56 PM
    Tbird

Tbird Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Santa Teresa, NM
    Vehicle:
    05 4X4 TRD Sport Access cab (white)
    ICON Ext.trav coilovers, rear ICON w/res. TC UCAs. All-pro 3" leafpac & U-bolt flip kit. Konig Countersteer offroad wheels. Goodyear Durtracs 260/75/16. Blacked-out badging, BHLM, Extra D-rings, Satoshi grill, SockMonkey "All Terrain" decals, Avid Off-road light bar and rock rails, Wet Okey seat covers. Weathertech digital fit floor mats. GROM ipod interface.
    Receiver on the swingout is brilliant!!!
    Thanks for the input on 1 vs. 2 spares.

7. Sep 1, 2012 at 8:49 AM
    TIPICOTACO

TIPICOTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    nw nj
    Vehicle:
    '01 DC 4X4 TRD "RAD BARON"
    Some lift, some armor, some scratches..
    sick build! I want this on my 1st gen!!!!

8. Sep 1, 2012 at 3:09 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    Dave,

For a pure off road environment this bumper design appears excellent. However you have to drive on public roads / freeways to get to your destination... And here is the negative, everything that makes this bumper awesome for offroad makes is extremely hazardous for regular street / road / freeway travel.

On of the the purposes of a bumper is to absorb impact during an accident. The high clearance-recessed design makes the fuel and propane over exposed and the most likely items to be crushed during a rear end collision. I'm not talking about the honda civics either, there are plenty of lifted F150 types out there.

The long and the short is that it looks extremely dangerous to me. I realize I may not be looking at the final product, but perhaps someone has overlooked the obvious?

If it were me I'd put the propane in my flipac (as long as I could vent it and provided there are no passengers back there, failing that I'd put it up real high.

9. Sep 2, 2012 at 4:27 AM
    midlife4X4fix

midlife4X4fix Well-Known Member

Member:
    Berkeley, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma XC 4X4 stick
    1-1/2" Lift, Larger Tires, Headache Rack, Tool Box in Bed, Tailgate retainer clamp and cable, Grillecraft grille, RECARO Seats, Re-upholstered interior with matching RECARO fabric, painted all chrome areas and debadged entire Truck, BAMF sliders, Blacked out headlight inner frames and misc interior trim panels, Removed XM Fin, Removed front and rear bumpers. Rigid SR 20" LED Light bar, Pelfreybuilt Front Plate Bumper Ordered. Looking at Rear Plate Bumpers now.
    There is one large flaw in your post.

A Tacoma rear bumper is there to:
    *Give you something to bolt your stock hitch to.
    *Tell you when you hit the rock wall in the back yard.
    *Look chromie.
    *Provide an obvious place to put a license plate.

A Tacoma rear bumper is NOT there to:
    *Provide ANY impact absorption whatsoever!

Trucks are exempt from all NHTSA rear bumper laws in the US.

I do agree that if you are fully loaded with Full Jerry cans it
    does look like an ugly accident waiting to happen but that is
    not what this thread is about.

10. Sep 2, 2012 at 10:32 AM
    TACODOC1

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    See TACODOC.com!
    If you look at the US RV industry, you will note that propane cylinders are always stowed on the nose of a trailer or under the RV, i.e. outside of the living space. Obviously due to safety concerns. Storage on the rear of the truck up high and secured externally to the living space is the best compromise IMO as there was no other option really. As for fuel, I use Scepter cans (USMC spec) and again carrying fuel there is the best compromise. Jeeps and other rigs have been legally, and safely, carrying jerry cans on the back for decades.

Carrying fuel or propane on the truck is optional and can be optimized to suit the trip. I'd rather have the option than not. And if somebody is tailgating me with a couple of gallons of legally transported fuel staring at them, well, that should be their sign to BTFO. Especially considering if it did blow it would be in their face.

YMMV.

Note about propane:

It is important to note that propane, like gasoline vapor, has narrow ignition requirements as far as air fuel mixture is concerned.

In order to actually ignite, the propane-air mix must contain from 2.2 to 9.6 percent propane vapor. If the mixture contains less than 2.2 percent gas, it is too lean to burn. If it contains more than 9.6 percent, it is too rich to burn.

Additionally, propane won’t ignite when combined with air unless the source of ignition reaches at least 940 degrees Fahrenheit. In contrast, gasoline will ignite when the source of ignition reaches only 430 to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.

In fact, it is pretty difficult to actually blow up a propane tank or cylinder. What does occur when the pressure relief valve blows from say being smashed in an accident, which occurs at 312 psi in ASME tanks, and 375psi in DOT cylinders, is that the gas is vented and makes a lot of noise. Should there be a fire or source of ignition when it vents, it won't explode either, instead it makes a torch and quickly flames out. It does not ignite inside the gas line and run up it to the tank or cylinder and "explode." The only exception to that, is if it is punctured and ignited by flame simultaneously (highly unlikely), and then the same external ignition occurs only more rapidly.

11. Sep 4, 2012 at 2:01 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    I here you. It's be the best compromise given your setup (no trailer & no other place to put it). I personally would not do it. But if I had to, I'd have fabricated a medium strength plated cage to try and protect the tank.

I am still looking forward to seeing the finished bumper design as we have similar needs. I'll stay tuned. :)

And in case I have not already said so, thanks for sharing your design and showcasing Jason's Shop's work. It does look good so far!

12. Sep 4, 2012 at 2:33 PM
    Redgrom

Redgrom http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/29

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    san clemente
    Vehicle:
    4x4 taco and 96 ford bronco
    ATO front skid (need more but icon's might fail if I hang anything else from my truck) All-Pro front bumper thanks to a good deal here and a pesky encounter with a rock or 20, total chaos uppers.
    Subed because some day I might have $$$

13. Sep 8, 2012 at 11:51 AM
    TACODOC1

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    See TACODOC.com!
    Next up will be the rock light tabs, propane regulator hardmount underneath, LED back up light and then it's off to powdercoat at last.

securedownload2_2e9b61efd3663fce1b5f8b574b52d17b7a92cadc.jpg

securedownload1-1_f79d06c84730fa32b8126b61dc0e299f4b94b2b1.jpg

sarsaparilla likes this.
  14. Sep 8, 2012 at 12:03 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

kyleTRDtaco12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma Base DCSB 4x4 V6 6MT (202)
    TRD Cat-Back Exhaust TRD Sport Package Springs & Shocks (Front Linear Coil Springs, Rear TSB Leafs) Front & Rear Toyota/Bilstein 40mm Shocks) Silver Toyota 16" SR5 Wheels with 265/70/16 BFGoodrich Rugged Trail T/A Tires w/ Locks OEM Black-Chrome Housed Headlights (SR package) OEM TRDpro Grille Insert RokBlokz Rally MudFlaps w/ Stamped Logo OEM 'TRD Sport' Bedside Graphics TRD QuickShifter w/ TRD Shift Knob Hawk HPS Front Brake Pads w/ Brembo Blank Rotors OEM Front Aluminum Skid-Plate eBay TRD seat covers Rear Diff. Breather Mod A/C Drain Extension Mod OEM Fog Light Kit OEM Intermittent Wiper Switch OEM Bed D-Rings OEM Bed Mat OEM Door Sill Protectors Blacked-Out Badges (from Xrunner 205 Black Sand Pearl) Pop & Lock Tailgate Handle TruXedo TruXsport Roll-Up Tonneau Cover AVS BugFlector II Front Bug Guard AVS In-Channel Window Vent Visors TRD High Pressure Radiator Cap Stubby Radio Antenna Ultra-Gauge EM v1.2 w/ Windshield Mount BullaCulla 7-Pin Relocation Bracket Misc. Stickers
    Sub'd that's a freaking sick truck, i want xD

15. Sep 8, 2012 at 12:19 PM
    BAMFTACO

BAMFTACO Another day another beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    Woodlandland hills , CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma AC Prerunner
    Kings bruh
  16. Sep 16, 2012 at 12:01 AM
    Mach375

Mach375 Habitual Violator of Wheeling Rule #2

Member:
    First Name:
    Sathington "Alowicious Devadander Abercrombie" Willoughby (but you can call me Mud)
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCLB 4x4 TRD Sport
    Too much to list, but enough to get me in trouble. Repeatedly.
    Yeah, this is the first setup I've come across that meets just about everything I'm looking for. I just hope I don't have to sell any organs to get it.

17. Sep 16, 2012 at 12:26 AM
    Forster46

Forster46 Very nice how much?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    Awesome bumper

18. Sep 16, 2012 at 8:12 AM
    Steve33fish

Steve33fish Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Yorba Linda
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma 4x4 LB
    Hey your truck looks better in person!!! I was in there last week and was checking it out, guys pictures does no justice! Did you check out Jason new aluminum front bumper? 40lbs!!! Hope they get them rolling soon.

19. Sep 16, 2012 at 8:26 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    Thats a TON of weight on a one sided gate IMO. Did DE put a full tube in the bumper and weld it top/bottom with gussets? Looks like they started out without any reinforcement tube and I see no discolloring from any welding of any corner gussets. I really hope this isn't the case and you just didn't post pics yet.

I have seen a couple one sided gates crack at the spindle and the corner of the bumper. They all had had far less weight on them then yours will have. My gate is one of them and I have a fully welded tube going top-bottom that's over 6" long.

chasing cracks on mine
    phonedump038_8acd27022b60134afc70572aedca95d1f7a8c0f0.jpg

phonedump039_8c18276ad11ec045b97ddc126714d71fb8295d62.jpg

20. Sep 16, 2012 at 9:44 AM
    TACODOC1

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    See TACODOC.com!
    What you see are early photos where everything is lightly secured, it will be "double captured" underneath and gusseted for sure.

And for the record, this swingout is extremely light compared to my old CBI swingout - can carriers, table, propane bracket and pioneer tool carrier are all aluminum.

Fully loaded with 10 gallons of fuel or water @ approx 40 lbs per can plus the propane tank full @ approx 10 lbs and the Hi-Lift/axe/shovel will leave this swingout still coming in approx 60 lbs lighter than my previous swingout due to the spare tire (approx 100 lbs) being carried down below in stock position.

So, overall the truck will still weigh about the same but I am able to carry more and will have more of the weight forward to the axle vice hanging off the rear of the truck. Every little bit helps. ;)

Products Discussed in

To Top