1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

the entune app 2017

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by capequahog, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Jan 27, 2017 at 3:54 AM
    capequahog

capequahog [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Cape Cod MA
    Vehicle:
    17TacomaDblCabTRDSport
    in the dreaded black
    in my case via iphone, how is it working for you ? I'm sure its all on here somewhere already, I just bought 2017 TRD Sport replacing my 2007 off road and havent downloaded the app yet but most of the reviews in the app store are not good, what say ye that are using it already ?

2. Jan 27, 2017 at 4:46 AM
    Mace587

Mace587 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    I've got the app for iphone, but I don't really ever use it, and I'm really not sure what to do with it. I think that it gives you more features in the "app" section of your Entune unit, but I don't really have a need to shop for movie tickets or go on yelp through my truck.

Spare Parts and Sedai like this.
  3. Jan 27, 2017 at 5:23 AM
    gpb

gpb Well-Known Member

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2017 White DCSB TRDOR 4x4
    @capequahog Why not try it for yourself? Don't cost nothin, and it's not like there's an alternative...

It's the data conduit for the various apps. The gas finder has been handy on occasion, as well as weather info. The Entune iHeartRadio and SlackerRadio apps are handy, particularly for not digging my phone out of my pocket. Unfortunate that the Pandora part still sucks with my iphone7, I have to kill/restart the phone Entune app more often than not to get it to work. Stays working for a day or so then hangs again.

I've used CarPlay a fair bit in rental cars and while Entune can be annoying, that it works with no wires is a big plus at this time.

4. Jan 27, 2017 at 8:21 AM
    su.b.rat

su.b.rat broken truck

Member:
    on my android phone (htc10) entune is so bad i uninstalled it forever. done and done. too bad tho, I'd like to be, and stay, connected.

5. Jan 27, 2017 at 9:21 AM
    capequahog

capequahog [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Cape Cod MA
    Vehicle:
    17TacomaDblCabTRDSport
    in the dreaded black
    I installed it, will see what happens with it from here on out

6. Jan 27, 2017 at 9:24 AM
    LivinOnEdge

LivinOnEdge ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Member:
    Land of The Lost
    Vehicle:
    Four wheels and a refrigerator
    If you bluetooth your music, you can't tell it to play an artist or a song by an artist (via voice command). This might be a USB only feature. Other than that, It's mainly used as a data tether for the various apps built in which has proven very useful and without fault.

7. Jan 27, 2017 at 9:26 AM
    I'mTheDude

I'mTheDude Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRD O/R 4X4
    I was sick of my phone asking me to pair entune with my truck every time I started it up, so I deleted the app. Otherwise it was decent to use, basically just uses your data for the various apps.

dYL0n likes this.
  8. Jan 27, 2017 at 9:27 AM
    LivinOnEdge

LivinOnEdge ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Member:
    Land of The Lost
    Vehicle:
    I think you can turn that off in the vehicle settings. Mine never asks me to pair as long as I never shutdown the app on my phone.

I'mTheDude[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Jan 27, 2017 at 9:28 AM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    I just leave entune running in the background, it uses 1% of the battery on my phone so its not too bad and I don't get prompted anymore.

10. Jan 27, 2017 at 9:34 AM
    fdbyrne

fdbyrne Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Off Road (Manual), 2004 4RUNNER V6 4x4
    My Pandora works fairly well through the Entune app running on my Nexus 6P Android phone. It'll be very stable for weeks or months then it'll start flaking out. When it starts acting weird, I found that going into the Android settings and clearing the cache for the Entune app and then restarting the phone will make everything work again for a few more months.

Periodically clearing the cache isn't that big of a hassle to get the system to work properly for a few months. I'd be pissed if I had to do it every day.

11. Jan 27, 2017 at 9:44 AM
    I'mTheDude

I'mTheDude Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRD O/R 4X4
    @Jester243 @LivinOnEdge Thanks for that guys. I'll have to browse some settings and see if I can get that figured out. That was really my only gripe with the app.

12. Jan 27, 2017 at 9:45 AM
    LivinOnEdge

LivinOnEdge ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Member:
    Land of The Lost
    Vehicle:
    No problem, the combination of leaving the app open and turn off a setting I found just yesterday (sorry can't remember which but its obvious when you se it) will guarantee you won't be prompted again.

13. Jan 28, 2017 at 8:51 AM
    STexaslovestacos

STexaslovestacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Vehicle:
    2017 MT TRD OR
    It's a little buggy but some of the extra features are neat. Mostly I have trouble with the BT connectivity in this truck when I'm doing quick trips - it seems to take it a while to reset, so a run into the gas station for a coke can screw it up because the truck is only off for a minute.

The Pandora app drives me nuts because it won't let you use the equalizer, but you can listen to Pandora through regular bluetooth and set your audio how you like it. Dumb.

14. Jan 28, 2017 at 7:00 PM
    jdkarmy

jdkarmy Well-Known Member

Member:
    I never intentionally close the app on my phone at all or force quit the app, I still get the popup notification on my phone every time I start my truck "The entune app wants permission to access yada yada." Seems like a bug in the app itself as the app itself is already synched properly and doesn't actually prompt you for permission, just pops up the annoying alert every time.

15. Feb 23, 2017 at 11:26 AM
    gpb

gpb Well-Known Member

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    Heads up to iphone users -- iOS Entune app received an update yesterday (22 Feb 17).

I've not used it enough since applying the update this morning to discern if they've done anything to address the issue of Pandora hanging at startup if you've not force-quit and restarted the Entune app.

16. Feb 23, 2017 at 11:46 AM
    DES2009

DES2009 Minister of Truth

Member:
    Southeast Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM Limited
    I'm a Millionaire! One Million Posts!!
    The Android version updated a couple of days ago. It's on my phone, but I don't use it for anything.

17. Feb 23, 2017 at 11:53 AM
    gpb

gpb Well-Known Member

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    Correct, you really never do anything with it in the phone, but it's the data conduit for many of the apps on the truck's headunit.

I like using the Pandora app from the headunit, as well as the iHeartRadio app and the FuelGuide app. The only one that regularly would fail was Pandora. It would be really nice if this update fixes that problem.

Yes I know you can play Pandora over bluetooth audio, I don't always pull my phone out of my jacket pocket or backpack though. :)

18. Feb 23, 2017 at 12:02 PM
    sadmrhappy

sadmrhappy <insert clever title>

Member:
    cylinder 0, head 0, sector 1
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno Tacoma DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    Odd, I my HTC 10 has been flawless. Had some trouble with SMS messages on my old HTC M8 though. It's really frustrating how inconsistent the issues with the bluetooth/entune are on these.

19. Feb 23, 2017 at 12:08 PM
    matt636

matt636 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central, IL
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB Inferno
    so I have yet to install this app. just read terrible reviews constantly. I do listen to Pandora often, but don't mind using the USB cord. I don't have HD radio in my area, but would really like the weather app on my homescreen. Since I don't have HD radio, if I install EnTune, will that pull the data for the weather app so I can display it?

also, would I have to actually launch the entune app, or just start my truck? I've tried watching youtube tutorials but none have really explained any of that.

20. Feb 23, 2017 at 12:18 PM
    gpb

gpb Well-Known Member

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    @matt636 Don't know what phone you're using, my response is in regards to my iphone7.

You only need to start the app if you've rebooted your phone. Otherwise it will just connect up with the truck. As rarely as I reboot my phone (weeks between times, seriously) it's not an issue.

Yes, I think weather and traffic data will come through the cellular data connection if you allow it (setting in the headunit).

Most of the bad reviews seem to either be regarding bugs or (less helpfully) from people who just don't like the headunit in their cars and vent on the app review even though their issue has nothing to do with the app.

When the truck connects to the app it pops up a "allow or ignore" prompt on my phone screen. If you click allow it opens the app. I usually just ignore it. I haven't paid attention to see if new version still does this, literally I updated this morning and ran a couple errands during work with my phone in my pocket.

Products Discussed in

To Top