1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The Fellowship of PNW Tacomas | PDX Area Wheeling

Discussion in 'North West' started by C41n, Feb 5, 2020.

1. May 5, 2022 at 9:10 AM
    Adobada Tacos

Adobada Tacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2021 White Tacoma TRD Offroad
    I might be free Thursday too. I’ll let you know.

2. May 5, 2022 at 10:06 AM
    jasmits1

jasmits1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB Off Road 6MT
    Ironman FCP with SPC UCAs
    It's all fun and games until you decide things are getting too deep and need to turn around and can't find a good spot to do so.

Snow wheeling alone is always a risk, I'd never go solo without at least maxtrax in addition to a shovel(in addition to survival gear ofc). Before I had a winch Maxtrax saved me from hours of digging multiple times in the snow, all getting dug in turning around in a non ideal spot that forced me to start uphill from a dead stop with the wheel cranked over.

A winch is really the key for snow wheeling solo. When it's time to turn around and you're going to have to do a multi-point turn just find a gently side-sloped spot on the road with good trees on the uphill side, back downhill and then you can use the trees to pull yourself back up if you can't get going uphill

3. May 5, 2022 at 10:20 AM
    YF_Ryan

YF_Ryan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Kent, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Icon Coil Overs. Deaver U402 Stage 3 Leafs w/ Bilstein 5160s. ARB Deluxe Bull Bar. Fuel Boost wheels w/ Wrangler Duratracs. Brute Force Fab Sliders & HC Rear Bumper w/swingout
    MAXTRAX for sure. Can even use them BEFORE you get stuck in questionable terrain. Think where you want to turn around, place the tracks, drive onto them, etc etc.

C41n[OP] and .劉煒 like this.
  4. May 5, 2022 at 10:27 AM
    jasmits1

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB Off Road 6MT
    That's exactly the technique. If you've really gone and dug yourself into the snow or sand Maxtrax will make your life easier, but you're still going to be spending a good amount of time digging.

If I'm starting off in snow in a non ideal situation, like uphill and/or with a lot of steering angle if the truck isn't moving at least a little bit by the time I've completely let the clutch out I push it straight back in and use the trax to get going.

People like to joke about Maxtrax being an overlandy accessory but just because some people use them as jewelry doesn't mean they aren't still a great tool. I find them phenomenally useful, they were indispensable before I had a winch and still an important part of my kit.

C41n[OP] and ProTacos like this.
  5. May 5, 2022 at 10:30 AM
    YF_Ryan

YF_Ryan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Kent, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Icon Coil Overs. Deaver U402 Stage 3 Leafs w/ Bilstein 5160s. ARB Deluxe Bull Bar. Fuel Boost wheels w/ Wrangler Duratracs. Brute Force Fab Sliders & HC Rear Bumper w/swingout
    I've shared this pic many times before, but it's fitting here. This was old crappy snow that was pretty much packed ice once you drove on it. Laid down the maxtrax and was able to make it through fine.

[​IMG]

6. May 5, 2022 at 10:33 AM
    jasmits1

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB Off Road 6MT
    Oof yeah that stuff is nasty. Slick slush on top of icy hardpack.

I tried to use momentum to get through a patch like that once and made it like 10 feet before beaching myself. Had a friend right behind me to pull me out, wouldn't have even tried if I didn't.

YF_Ryan[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. May 5, 2022 at 10:54 AM
    mountaincrawler

mountaincrawler Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hillsboro, OR
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 OR MT
    3" Lift (AllPro Leafs with Walker Evans 2.5" shocks & Walker Evans 2.5" Non Res Coilovers) Total Chaos UCAs 35" BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 17x9 Fuel Offroad Shok D664 4.88 Yukon Diff Gears (ECGS 3rd member) Harrop Elocker (front) Pelfreybilt Front Bumper w/ center hoop Pelfreybilt High Clearance Rear Bumper Pelfreybilt IFS Skid Plate Pelfreybilt Weld On Sliders URD Stage 2 Clutch and Flywheel Relentless Cab Mount Chop Plates ARB Air Compressor AllPro U-Bolt Flip Kit Amp Research BedXtender HD MAX Relentless Bed Rail DUAL Quick Fist Mounts Sport Grille OEM Roof Rack Marshall Offroad Fabrication Bed Bars TEPUI Explorer Series Kukenam 3 Roof Top Tent
    Lol yeah I took a run and a patch of snow one time and the same thing happened; just got beached. Spent a while digging that situation out. Now I just take it slow and steady, can't get yourself too buried that way.

Having to turn around always makes it difficult to avoid getting stuck. The key is definitely patience and not digging yourself in. Of course a winch is always a good backup. Track boards can get you out of a pinch as well for sure.

.劉煒 likes this.
  8. May 5, 2022 at 11:01 AM
    mountaincrawler

Member:
    Hillsboro, OR
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 OR MT
    3" Lift (AllPro Leafs with Walker Evans 2.5" shocks & Walker Evans 2.5" Non Res Coilovers) Total Chaos UCAs 35" BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 17x9 Fuel Offroad Shok D664 4.88 Yukon Diff Gears (ECGS 3rd member) Harrop Elocker (front) Pelfreybilt Front Bumper w/ center hoop Pelfreybilt High Clearance Rear Bumper Pelfreybilt IFS Skid Plate Pelfreybilt Weld On Sliders URD Stage 2 Clutch and Flywheel Relentless Cab Mount Chop Plates ARB Air Compressor AllPro U-Bolt Flip Kit Amp Research BedXtender HD MAX Relentless Bed Rail DUAL Quick Fist Mounts Sport Grille OEM Roof Rack Marshall Offroad Fabrication Bed Bars TEPUI Explorer Series Kukenam 3 Roof Top Tent
    Tried once to turn around in my previous 1st gen by picking up some speed and attempting to slide the rear end around. Worked out great... Lol. Only tried it though cause I was with a big group and we were just screwing around.

24.jpg

th3clara, jasmits1 and YF_Ryan like this.
  9. May 5, 2022 at 11:10 AM
    ProTacos

ProTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mid-Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    21 Magnetic Grey Pro
    Westcott Front Lift 286/75/16 K02’s
    …and this is where you make the driver dig and attach the winch or strap/rope lol

10. May 5, 2022 at 11:14 AM
    jasmits1

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB Off Road 6MT
    I've actually found that the insurance the winch provides gives me more freedom to choose a turnaround point and winds up meaning I need it less.

The ideal is to find a wide enough spot to turn around in one go and avoid a multi-point turn altogether, thing is the wide spots on mountain trails tend to be pretty cambered towards the downhill side of the road. If you're 50/50 on if a spot is wide enough turn around in one go it can be risky if you don't make the turn as you need to then back downhill and start again going up. Just having the option to winch myself forward lets me attempt in spots I'm not sure about. Usually I make it, and even if I don't it lets me be more liberal with the throttle starting out because digging myself in is less of an issue when I can winch forwards and uphill, also mitigates the risk of a sneaky ditch hiding under the snow so I can use more of the road.

PinStripes likes this.
  11. May 6, 2022 at 2:43 PM
    Astr0Aar0n

Astr0Aar0n Well-Known Member

Member:
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    19' Tacoma TRD OR V6 4x4 DCSB cavalry blue
    Quite a few things at this point..
    Hey man, so sorry for my lack of communication. Teaching keeps me pretty occupied during the week.

I'm actually gonna have to pass for this weekend. My mom really wants me to go visit her Sunday. And since she asked to go on an adventure I really can't say no.

12. May 6, 2022 at 2:56 PM
    mountaincrawler

Member:
    Hillsboro, OR
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 OR MT
    No worries at all! Figured most people have plans with their moms this weekend.

13. May 6, 2022 at 7:33 PM
    Adobada Tacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    Feel free to join us Wednesday!

14. May 6, 2022 at 7:42 PM
    mountaincrawler

Member:
    Hillsboro, OR
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 OR MT
    I might since the forecast for Wednesday looks better than the slog this weekend.

15. May 8, 2022 at 3:59 PM
    mountaincrawler

Member:
    Hillsboro, OR
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 OR MT
    I'm in for Wednesday.

16. May 8, 2022 at 4:16 PM
    Adobada Tacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    hell yeah. @C41n and I both live in Sellwood-Moreland area and we’re planning to leave around 9.

17. May 8, 2022 at 4:27 PM
    mountaincrawler

Member:
    Hillsboro, OR
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 OR MT
    Cool, I'm in Hillsboro. Can meet you out there or anywhere along the way.

18. May 14, 2022 at 11:44 PM
    th3clara

th3clara Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro - Army Green
    -Eibach Springs for TRD Pro Fox Shocks -255/85r16
    I visited Post Canyon OHV area for the first time today and ran into more closed gates than expected. Kingsley reservoir is still under construction, but several gates had signs that said "seasonal closure". Curious if the seasonal gate closures typically stay closed through May?

I began the southern end of trail 197, but ran into snow several minutes in.

After turning around, I tried NF-2820 (deadpoint road), but that also had snow on it.I also gave NF-2000 (Binns hill road) a try. It had a locked gate across it near the lake, likely due to the construction project.

Can anyone confirm if NR-2820 is the road they use to access the other OHV trail in this area?

19. May 15, 2022 at 10:55 AM
    C41n

C41n [OP] KDMax Pro Authorized Tuner | Portland, OR

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2020 DCSB OR MT
    I believe you can get in from that area, off of Country Club Rd to Post Canyon, off Binns Hill Road, or off Riordan Hill Drive.I usually enter off Country Club Rd.

The snow stays late around the area. Not entirely sure when they open all the gates but I expect it will be soon.

197 if I recall correctly is fairly overgrown and easy to lose the trail with a lot of high tree stumps. You should be fine, but I don't recommend that trail for anyone without sliders. I have 2 197s marked on my map for some reason and I was just referring to the more SW section.

This is a fun area with a handful of cool trails. I uploaded some screenshots you can take a look at.

Screenshot from 2022-05-15 10-50-20.jpg Screenshot from 2022-05-15 10-50-07.jpg Screenshot from 2022-05-15 10-49-51.jpg Screenshot from 2022-05-15 10-35-07.jpg Screenshot from 2022-05-15 10-34-51.jpg Screenshot from 2022-05-15 10-33-15.jpg

20. May 19, 2022 at 7:59 PM
    Superhulk LB

Superhulk LB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2019 superwhite DCLB off road
    Tonneau cover, Black exhaust tip, blacked out badges and tailgate lettering. Black rhino(glamis)18x9 wheels with +12 offset. LT265/70/18 Toyo Opencountry ATIII. Metaltech 4x4 rock sliders Cali Raised lower grill light bar/mounts TRD Pro Skid, DD Fogs(pro), Ironman 4x4 FC pro lift.
    Okay. This summer, I vote we do a meet up at the Troutdale food cart. A number of food options and a decent selection of adult beverages.
    Plus, it’s right off of 84 at exit 17.

Products Discussed in

To Top