1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The Frankenstein Build! LT/Expo/Trail rig..and BS

Discussion in '1st Gen. Builds (1995-2004)' started by Blackdawg, May 28, 2011.

1. Nov 8, 2018 at 1:55 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    Yup, it sucks...

Less than 4,000 for me. But that is still way too many to fuck with.

Its looking like that is the only reasonable option.

Right now it is age 66. It'll be 80 by the time you get there.

2. Nov 8, 2018 at 1:58 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg [OP] Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    Yeah Im gonna end up just paying for it. Oh well. the one I need to figure out how to cancel is the fuckin PB one..but their site is such a shit show..

80..yeesh..

Least my job isn't labor intensive. Actually If I can still make records like Al Schmitt does in his 80s..ill be okay with that. Though I wouldn't want to be really required to make records at 80..haha

3. Nov 8, 2018 at 2:07 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    I'm sure you wont have to keep working to eat. You'll be smarter about your retirement than that. That's why you take the $5K you wanted to spend on that D-cab and put it into a retirement IRA. :poking: :rofl:

turbodb and jubei like this.
  4. Nov 8, 2018 at 2:09 PM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    I did. Well..sort of. Have over that in my IRA now. Thankfully. Should have started a couple years ago..but now is better then never. Glad to have it started. Plus a few other things. Just need a house(mostly shop ha) then im good with life for a while.

turbodb and jubei like this.
  5. Nov 8, 2018 at 2:44 PM
    turbodb

turbodb AdventureTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma Xcab 4x4 SR5 V6 TRD
    AdventureTaco
    LIKE. LIKE LIKE.

Did you really put the $5K you would have spent on the new truck over there too? If so, HUGE kudos. You should, if you haven't. :boink: Call it your "new truckssssss when I'm older" fund.

6. Nov 8, 2018 at 2:47 PM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    eh sort of. I put in a big chunk into and IRA. 5k from other assests. Then liquidated my 403b from the college I worked at into another IRA to convert it to avoid taxes on it. Starting month contributions this month. Hoping that my raise will be enough I can max out the IRA every year for a long time. Potentially max out one and start a second.

Will see what kind of raise I get. Not gonna be huge by any means. But hoping its pretty decent to allow me to afford housing here. And the potential of becoming salary and a manager has good hopes.

turbodb[QUOTED], jubei and Digiratus like this.
  7. Nov 8, 2018 at 3:58 PM
    turbodb

turbodb AdventureTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    AdventureTaco
    You rock. Super happy to hear that. It's so much better to start early.

8. Nov 8, 2018 at 4:00 PM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    yeah. Should have done it 4 years ago..oh well. Better late then never.

9. Nov 8, 2018 at 7:15 PM
    cynicalrider

cynicalrider #NFG

Member:
    Jersey
    Vehicle:
    01 SR5 TRD 4x4, '23 Bronco Wildtrak, 2017 HSQV FE350
    Drop bracket lift and booger welds
    All of this. When I worked for Merrill Lynch I worked on a site that showed how much money you would have in an ira (based on a consistent market of course) if you invested at 25 compare to 35 and it was damn near half a million dollars.

10. Nov 8, 2018 at 7:59 PM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    well..Im not 25..haha but close to that. Hopefully pays off!

11. Jan 17, 2019 at 9:29 PM
    austinmtb

austinmtb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Southern Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2004 Toyota Tacoma DC TRD 4x4
    ADS Coilovers & Shocks, All Pro Standard Leafs, TRD Supercharger, Haltech Standalone, URD 2.2'' pulley, Method NV wheels, Copper Discoverer STT Pro tires, ECGS 4:56 gears, custom steel tube bumper, custom steel skid plate,
    Is this mounting solution still working out for you? I think I might do the same thing here pretty soon.

12. Jan 17, 2019 at 9:36 PM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    Yep. Never let me down. It's a great place it it.

I think both in the bed would be good too. On the double cab the wheel wells extend to the front side of the bed. I'd thought or cutting a hatch panel out of them and mounting them basically off the frame in front of the rear wheels. Haven't done measurements to see if that's actually do able but could be.

13. Jan 17, 2019 at 9:42 PM
    austinmtb

austinmtb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Southern Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2004 Toyota Tacoma DC TRD 4x4
    ADS Coilovers & Shocks, All Pro Standard Leafs, TRD Supercharger, Haltech Standalone, URD 2.2'' pulley, Method NV wheels, Copper Discoverer STT Pro tires, ECGS 4:56 gears, custom steel tube bumper, custom steel skid plate,
    Sweet!

And hmm that's not a bad idea. The gas tank neck may get in the way though.

14. Jan 18, 2019 at 7:35 AM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    Yeah possibly. Could look at getting a smaller diemensional battery but will just cost more.

Like I said. I haven't done the measuring to see if it's really possible.

But passenger up front certainly works just fine!

austinmtb[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Jan 24, 2019 at 11:06 PM
    turbodb

turbodb AdventureTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    AdventureTaco
    jubei, xtremewlr, Justinogo and 4 others like this.
  16. Jan 24, 2019 at 11:16 PM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    That's fuckin awesome!

17. Jan 28, 2019 at 4:27 PM
    Tacofire98

Tacofire98 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Littleton
    Vehicle:
    01 TRD
    Did you ever get a chance to try out the wildernest yet? I have a RTT, but I'm thinking of switching it up a little.

18. Jan 28, 2019 at 4:40 PM
    turbodb

turbodb AdventureTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    AdventureTaco
    He did, and then sold it and went back to the RTT.

Even though there was lots of room in the 'nest, and it was super cool, it just wasn't beefy enough to stand up to his driving style. (Hahahaha, RTT's not standing up either.)

His future is going to be a GFC, but not for a little while...

TacoBessy and Tacofire98[QUOTED] like this.
  19. Jan 28, 2019 at 4:53 PM
    Tacofire98

Tacofire98 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Littleton
    Vehicle:
    01 TRD
    Gotcha, guess I missed that part. GFC are cool...not sure I want to drop that like of coin on that though.

20. Jan 28, 2019 at 5:19 PM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    Yeah like Dan said.

I really really liked the nest. But would have not survived my driving. At least the one I had.

Some other cons was a ton of tent material. In high winds and bad weather it would be so loud to sleep in and not sure how it would fair in real bad rain or snow..

Didn't like how there was zero side access. That sucked. It did have two small sliding windows but they were more vents than anything. Could really only access stuff from the back.

And the bed was rather small. Very narrow and kind of short. For two people is was ultra cozy. Think the bed measured 45x60 or something.

I likely go for a GFC. It's light. Heavy duty built. And also very local to me for replacement parts. Or at least I can fix it myself to a point.

It is a lot of cash for one..not getting cheaper. But I think it'll work for me. Going to their shop soon to check them out in person with the lady.

I love rtts. But they just aren't holding up over time to my abuse.

Products Discussed in

To Top