1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The Getaway...Crom's build and adventures

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by Crom, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Feb 26, 2018 at 1:00 PM
    bdbrown

bdbrown Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Benjamin
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    '06 SWB DCSB MT
    lucky rocketship underpants
    This is such good advice.. We do this with all staff members and the entire fleet of trucks every season at my second job in forestry, and it's amazing A: how many trucks come from factory with missing or non-functioning repair/recovery kits
    B: how confusing some of the procedures are on different trucks to drop the spares etc
    C: How much it sucks when a tool/part that worked fine last year can just Stop working

It's a million times better to figure out something's amiss in your driveway, than hours down a forestry road stuck in mud and wet with no cell phone (and a truck full of hungry/angry passengers)

spot on, as always!

2. Feb 26, 2018 at 1:20 PM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    MGM 09 AC 4WD V6 TRD-OR w/ Tradesman Shell
    Just the basics
    Your rotation diagram made me go looking at craigslist for more 4Runner wheels. Nada. would be great to have the spare in the rotation schedule.

Crom[OP] and Soul Surfer like this.
  3. Feb 26, 2018 at 1:24 PM
    Soul Surfer

Soul Surfer J!m! Was Last Seen: Roam in’ Around…

Member:
    First Name:
    J!M!
    West Central Florida Coast
    This outfit has reconditioned OEM ones. Not sure what you want to spend.

http://www.hubcaphaven.com/c/503/toyota_tacoma_wheels_rims.html

E78DD218-A7F6-4075-8584-176ECA2DD329.jpg

Crom[OP] and DoorDing like this.
  4. Feb 26, 2018 at 1:37 PM
    Soul Surfer

Soul Surfer J!m! Was Last Seen: Roam in’ Around…

Member:
    First Name:
    J!M!
    West Central Florida Coast
    I understand. Everything's timing. Hopefully something shows up in the local adds. Having a complete matching spare is good to have.

Crom[OP] likes this.
  5. Feb 26, 2018 at 1:39 PM
    Subway4X4

Subway4X4 Shameless Copy Cat

Member:
    First Name:
    Lloyd
    NY/NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Speedway Blue DCSB OR TRD
    Everything TW members recommend
    Call me crazy, but I currently do a 6 tire rotation with my ST-Maxx’s.

My theories:

1. I’ve trashed a tire in the past, that was in a 5 tire rotation and the remaining four, although worn nicely because of rotation, the 5th (new one) never feels right when returned to the rotation. If I trash a tire with 6 tires, then I still have the 5th to go into the rotation.

2. Tire rotation is easy with 6 tires: Jack the rear, install two spares. Jack the front, move the two rears forward. Two fronts are now spares.

3. With some of the crazy shit that I do in the east coast, I feel more comfortable with a second spare, which I usually leave at base camp.

5. Although there’s a more expensive up front cost of 6 tires, mathematically, if all goes to plan, I’ll get the same #miles per tire which results in longer intervals between complete tire replacement.

6. Feb 26, 2018 at 2:01 PM
    Toyotico

Toyotico Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonny
    Cartersville, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Silver Tacoma 4x4 dclb
    What’s up guys. Excuse me for pooping up like a jack in the box but how do you rotate in the 5th or 6th tire with the TPMS? Have it installed and reset the system?

Subway4X4, DoorDing and Crom[OP] like this.
  7. Feb 26, 2018 at 2:02 PM
    Crom

Crom [OP] Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    Thanks for your post! :) Good to know Forestry dept is doing things right up North. :thumbsup:

You are funny! :D

Yeah, the Tacoma OR wheel should go for $50 by itself, IMO, but I get that local markets are different.

Love the wheels. Yeah having the spare in the rotation is a good thing for a number of reasons. I went back and looked, I paid $132 for the wheel, delivered. It was worth it considering I got such a good deal on the other four, AND it meant no more rubbing. :)

8. Feb 26, 2018 at 2:06 PM
    DVexile

DVexile Exiled to the East

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB V6 TRD OR 4X4
    5 (or 6) tire rotation is nice for the flexibility it gives. End up with a questionably damaged tire and it can become the spare while you step down to a 4 tire rotation. Or if completely trashed get a new tire and make it the spare while you wait for the other four to get replaced and then go back to a five tire.

It helped in my case where Firestone completely botched an alignment and like a moron I didn't check tread depth until the next rotation about 5000 miles later. Ripped the crap out of two of the tires, one worse than the other. Those two tires now bounce between the spare position and one of the rears while the other three good tires rotate through the front and the rear. Because rear wears slower than front and those two tires only spend half the time on the road as the others they should all end up needing to be replaced at the same time. (And actually given how low mileage my truck is they will probably all age out before they lose tread).

Soul Surfer and Crom[OP] like this.
  9. Feb 26, 2018 at 2:07 PM
    Crom

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    I think the TPMS system can handle a max of five (5) sensors. However, somewhere along the way Toyota stopped putting TPMS in the spare. I know my 2009 never had it.

Therefore, I currently have TPMS in four of my tires, the fifth one I'm using a standard rubber tire valve. I find this perfectly acceptable since I am airing my tires up, and down, at each outing, so I am very conscious of what my tire pressure is at any given time.

For me TPMS is just an early warning detection system that I have a puncture or something else is wrong. It works. One of the reasons I decided to keep it around.

10. Feb 26, 2018 at 2:08 PM
    DVexile

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB V6 TRD OR 4X4
    First if your jack in the box is pooping I'd take it back to Toys'r'us pronto!

For mine I just let the non-TPMS tire rotate through. TPMS is just a warning, certainly a useful one, but one more directed at people who never look at their tires. I've considered adding a fifth TPMS and might do so at the next tire change but really don't consider it necessary at all.

11. Feb 26, 2018 at 2:12 PM
    Subway4X4

Subway4X4 Shameless Copy Cat

Member:
    First Name:
    Lloyd
    NY/NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Speedway Blue DCSB OR TRD
    Everything TW members recommend
    Or get your 2nd gen Tacoma in ‘04 and have NO TPMS system. :)

12. Feb 26, 2018 at 4:42 PM
    Toyotico

Toyotico Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonny
    Cartersville, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Silver Tacoma 4x4 dclb
    Haha uh that was a typo (ffs) :facepalm:. I know it’s not nessecary but I just thought it would be cool to have. I check the tires too. I also have to look at the dash and any light that’s there bugs the sh out of me. Might try rolling the spare in in the future. Thanks y’all

Soul Surfer, Crom[OP] and DoorDing like this.
  13. Feb 26, 2018 at 6:01 PM
    IronPeak

IronPeak PermaLurker

Member:
    First Name:
    AuggieX
    Back to Back
    Vehicle:
    2007 sr5 4x4 DCLB/2015 TRD sport 4x4 DCLB sold
    Bigger Taller Slower
    The link to the Toyo website about tire safety should be stickied in the tire forum. They specialize in LT tires and alot of the info would be useful for tacoma owners. Love my new Toyos.

Soul Surfer and Crom[QUOTED][OP] like this.
  14. Feb 26, 2018 at 6:30 PM
    DVexile

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB V6 TRD OR 4X4
    On the TPMS thing I did my last rotation while camping in Saline Valley. As a result the spare went back on the truck at my off-road pressure of 18 psi and I store the spare valve stem up. At the moment in the rotation the spare has a TPMS. So my TPMS light has been on solid for awhile now... DOH!

I’ll probably drop the spare the next time I grease the drift shaft zerks. Good to grease the spare winch mechanism at the same time.

15. Feb 26, 2018 at 8:37 PM
    DVexile

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB V6 TRD OR 4X4
    Two reasons, neither critical.

First I grow weary of dumping a few pounds of rocks and dirt out of the wheel each time I drop it. Storing stem up prevents that.

Second it is a matched TRD alloy wheel and the thought is to keep the “pretty” surface protected pointed up at the truck bed rather than pointed down at all the pointy rocks. Of course the wheels actually on the truck are exposed to a lot of wear so not necessarily a sensible answer.

I’ve got on board air anyway so I really don’t care about checking the spare pressure. Usually more sensible to keep the valve stem accessible so as to not fall victim to attempting to change a flat with another flat. Or to be able to fill it easily if you are a bozo who lifts the spare while it is below pressure and triggers TPMS like me.

16. Feb 27, 2018 at 5:44 PM
    dman100

dman100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Coast, California
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR DCSB
    On my Land Cruiser 80 Series, the spare would only fit valve stem up ... what a pain! On my 3rd gen, the steely spare is marked “for temporary use only”. The tire is a standard Goodyear Adventure like the other 4 (well, it was before I replaced them) ... is the rim lighter-duty, or is it because there’s no TPMS in the spare?

I married my tacoma likes this.
  17. Feb 27, 2018 at 7:00 PM
    samiam

samiam Always here, never there

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Stinky Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD OR DCSB 4.0 6MT 1E7 Alu Cab
    Workin' on Workin' on it
    My '08 has the TPMS in the spare steelie. I don't recall ever seeing a warning placard.

18. Feb 27, 2018 at 7:14 PM
    Crom

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    I'm with @DoorDing . My best guess is because of lawyers, and TPMS being legally mandated after Sept 1, 2007.

19. Feb 27, 2018 at 8:34 PM
    Sacrifice

Sacrifice Motorcycle Goon

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    KS
    Vehicle:
    DCSB OR 4X4 LT
    Pelfreybilt Front Bumper,BAMF sliders, Airflow Snorkel,Mini D2S Retrofits, ADS Rear Shocks, Deaver U402 Leafsprings, 35s, AllPro +2LT
    my undestanding is its actually for safety ratings. because rear end collision ratings are based with the spare in place

20. Feb 28, 2018 at 1:55 AM
    DVexile

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB V6 TRD OR 4X4
    It’s not like you abandon the wheel with the flat on the side of the road. It goes back where the spare came from.

Crom[OP] and ETAV8R like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top