1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The Getaway...Crom's build and adventures

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by Crom, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Jan 9, 2016 at 2:10 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    #mg42probs

[​IMG]

2. Jan 9, 2016 at 3:10 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Nothing special on mine - Don't carry a chain but I use the top 'jaw' with a tree saver/rigid tug strap (also have an ARB recovery strap but I don't use that with the Hi-Lift since I don't want to store the energy in the elastic type strap). Mine looks like this along with some chipped paint :)

Oh and I meant to say swag. ;) and I don't drink much so the bottle opener is in my kitchen supplies. :)
    [​IMG]

3. Jan 9, 2016 at 3:34 PM
    Acerwin

Acerwin The unNORM NORM

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tundra
    Where do you find this tool?

4. Jan 9, 2016 at 3:45 PM
    Acerwin

Acerwin The unNORM NORM

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tundra
  5. Jan 9, 2016 at 4:20 PM
    Crom

Crom [OP] Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    That's awesome. Bill Burke's teachings on vehicle recovery and hi-lift techniques and recovery are legendary. He doesn't know me from Adam, but I've learned a ton from him over the years. I would love to take one his paid multi day classes.

Very cool you got to hang/meet with him.

That sucks! I almost suffered the same fate. I learned that early on, to open the door when lifting from the slider.

I posted the story in @Shmellmopwho 's Hi lift story thread a while back.

In a nutshell, foot slipped out on me, it was my fault, random piece of scrap laminated wood separated causing Hi lift foot to jettison out. Truck dropped only 1" cause jack stands. But I got a nice dent in my door sill, lol

I have the extreme lift jack with the nice triangular clamp clevis, it was that, that made the nice dent. :)

Anyways, there ways to mitigate all of that.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  6. Jan 9, 2016 at 4:20 PM
    rngr

rngr Aix sponsa

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 SR5 4x4 2.7L
    I'm about to start my "no more shit rolling around the bed" project. I wanted to be original, but I think your L-track system is about as good gas it gets. If you don't mind, do you remember where you got the tie down fittings? I'm hoping to avoid ordering them and just picking some up locally so I can start soon.

Crom[OP] likes this.
  7. Jan 9, 2016 at 4:22 PM
    Leppz

Leppz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB Sport Premium
    Thanks for sharing. I just placed an order on Amazon. This is going to find a nice home next to all my backroad mapbooks that I keep in my truck.

Crom[QUOTED][OP] and nfs257 like this.
  8. Jan 9, 2016 at 4:33 PM
    Crom

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    Great name for the project, lol!

Sure, highly recommended mod.

I got all mine from www.uscargocontrol.com

Good company, good customer service.

9. Jan 9, 2016 at 4:37 PM
    rngr

rngr Aix sponsa

Member:
    Vehicle:
    01 SR5 4x4 2.7L
    Thanks dude! You don't mind me shamelessly stealing your idea? You'll be credited in my build:thumbsup:

10. Jan 9, 2016 at 4:47 PM
    Crom

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    Dude, go for it! It's your truck. :). Somewhere in this thread, I linked to the TW member that did it before me. He used rivet nuts which were extremely useful for the front wall of the bed. But you don't need those for the floor, just regular hardware for that. Drop the spare tire, use magnets, work from above and below to position the tracks. The ribbed reinforements can easily be worked around. It's a fun and satisfying project. Good luck!

rngr likes this.
  11. Jan 9, 2016 at 5:16 PM
    Subway4X4

Subway4X4 Shameless Copy Cat

Member:
    First Name:
    Lloyd
    NY/NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Speedway Blue DCSB OR TRD
    Everything TW members recommend
    Damn you DD. Just ordered the JackMate $49.99 on Amazon Prime. I've owned my 48" Hi Lift and 3/8" Grade 70 chain w/ grab hooks for 20 years or so. I've pulled myself out of a couple of stuck situations. With this new gizmo, I think I can do continuous hand winch pulls. My dreams of a receiver mounted portable power winch moves even lower down my wish list.

Crom[OP] and nfs257 like this.
  12. Jan 9, 2016 at 5:18 PM
    tyfoon11

tyfoon11 Raguel

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Where bald eagles roam, Ca
    garden shed
    thats cool, gotta get me one of those

Crom[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  13. Jan 9, 2016 at 6:25 PM
    DVexile

DVexile Exiled to the East

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB V6 TRD OR 4X4
    N3KE (no code extra)

Can be loads of fun, but it just doesn't compare to satellite based systems for reliability in an emergency. Voice is wicked inefficient too so you've got to pack a bunch of power with you. I really want to get good at code, but just ain't floating to the top of the priority list and you really need to practice and use it a lot. Of course a sadly dying pool of people to chat with via code.

Don't get me wrong, I love hams and would fight to my last breath to preserve all the amateur spectrum that commercial operators drool over. I've had a little fun with PSK31 and like tracking some of the amsat passes with a handheld Yagi. I'd love to do some QRP PSK31 from remote locations where I camp, actually have a cute little PSK31 transmitter in a closet someplace. Somewhere in my future life I hope to have enough time to get significantly active in the hobby.

The old salts at the company I work for are actually some of the founding members of TAPR (organization that brought you packet radio). Amazing hams and if you knew what they could do in the RF space in their day job you simply wouldn't believe it is even possible. But for actual emergencies they carry PLBs.

So as a hobby it is awesome, and carrying one hobby into another with mobile operations gets a huge thumbs up from me even if I haven't had the time to do it myself :( But repeated burst comms to a LEO constellation monitored by an international SAR group using optimal detection and geolocation algorithms from something that fits in my pocket and requires no subscription or maintenance for five years is what is most likely to save my tail if I need it!

I think 99% of the population has no idea how special and how frankly amazing the operating privileges and capabilities of hams are. Would love to see a post on your setup sometime, and would love to hear about your experiences operating while out in the boonies!

BTW, if you like radio stuff and you get out into the deep outback far from power line interference you might be interested in natural VLF radio emissions. Was a hobby I did for a few years back when I lived right near Death Valley. Google "VLF whistler" to find out more. I think there are some VLF receivers streaming online these days if you want to give a listen. Spent many a night out in the Mojave testing receiver and antenna designs, laying out for hours waiting to hear a good clear whistler with multiple echos. It is an extremely nerdy hobby, probably requiring more patience than any sane person has. It is also huge pitfall for most hams who try to approach VLF receiver design as if it were an actual radio - so many of the designs online (at least back when I was doing it 10 years ago) were laughably bad. I think there are some good kits around these days though that are sensibly designed.

Thanks, just ordered! This part of the discussion has been excellent, reminded me more extensive first aid training and what not is suppose to be on my to do list for this year while I have more spare time than usual!

Crom[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  14. Jan 9, 2016 at 6:31 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Don't get me wrong... I see the value. At this point I would rather peel that cash off for another adventure or wheeling trip. :) I am able to mount mine in my bed with the foot attached. Something that you may find interesting, or not: I fill the gap in the foot with silicone to keep it from rattling. It will still slide off when I need to do that.

Crom[OP] and DoorDing like this.
  15. Jan 9, 2016 at 6:42 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    I love the idea of the Sat Comm/PLBs. When I worked with Toyota on the B1K, they provisioned us with SatPhones and a Sat Messenger/eMail device. The messaging/email was most useful. I would love to get one but just can't justify it at this point in time.

I only use my HAM license as a tool for communication while traveling with others equally equipped. I should spend some more time with qualified HAMs to get more familiar but I haven't. I did go on a trip with a number of HF peeps and I personally was enjoying the outdoors too much to glean much from them.

Crom, shut me up if this cross talk is killing your thread.

Crom[OP] likes this.
  16. Jan 9, 2016 at 6:45 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    It was so long ago I don't remember - I may have used a little AstroGlide on it. ;) I also use a Daystar isolator and a bungee cord on the jack mechanism. Keeps it all pretty quiet.

Crom[OP] likes this.
  17. Jan 9, 2016 at 6:57 PM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Am reading correctly that these new devices do not need a subscription?

18. Jan 9, 2016 at 7:31 PM
    DVexile

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB V6 TRD OR 4X4
    Two kinds of devices:

PLB - Personal Locator Beacon - Does not require subscription, costs about $250, battery good for 5 to 6 years depending on the model (battery replacement service is around $100). Amortized cost over a 10 year period would thus be about $35 per year. This does one thing, it calls SAR and they respond assuming a life threatening emergency (usually after quickly contacting a list of emergency contacts to try and verify it isn't a false alarm, but the assumption when a PLB activation is detected is that someone needs rapid extraction from a life threatening situation). The only thing you need to do, which is free, is register your beacon with the SAR network so they have emergency contact information for you. Satellite constellation is government funded and operated. Extremely reliable, you push that button you pretty much are going to get rescued no matter what. This is essentially the same system that life-rafts for commercial aircraft, ships and oil rigs use. As DoorDing said ACR ResQLink is a nice example of a really tiny one that is simple to carry in your pocket everywhere when in the wilderness. It does one thing only and does it really well.

SEND systems like Spot, inReach - Does require a subscription, these are messaging platforms that include a SOS component to them. Essentially these are like a text message on a satellite phone. Satellites are commercially owned and operated (hence they need to make money from you on a subscription). Some are one way only (Spot) and others offer two way communication (inReach). As discussed up thread there are some nice benefits to sending periodic "OK" messages or getting two way responses in addition to an SOS capability. But their SOS function is not as robust and reliable as a PLB. And you'll have a subscription fee, though as DoorDing says there are choices you can make to keep those fees relatively low.

I've got both, but if I was going to have just one it would be the PLB.

Crom[OP], Leppz and DoorDing like this.
  19. Jan 9, 2016 at 7:44 PM
    Crom

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    You'll love it. You just can't go wrong with a super siphon.

Ha! So you have your ticket! That's awesome. If I see an HF rig in my future I'll upgrade to extra class.

It sounds like you've done some pretty neat stuff. I understood everything you wrote, but not had a chance to go that deep into the hobby.

My experience has been voice VHF/UHF, and APRS.

I very much like amateur radio for the utility, and meeting people while on trips.

And God bless all those that volunteer their time and energy in keeping repeaters operational.

My wife might get her ticket this year. We would use it to communicate through linked systems while separated and beyond cell range. Also for caravanning and what not.

I'm with you 100% on the Sat comms though. I recognize it's simplicity and utility. This year I might spring for a two way device depending on how adventure plans pan out. I mean I'd love one, just don't need right now.

Since my kids were born I only get to do one, maybe two trips a year without them. Normally we are all together.

I appreciate the discussion and comments.

:thumbsup:

I've silenced mine with a chunk of polyvinyl chloride (PVC), common exercise mat material. Jammed into the foot.

And plus one, for the Daystar handle holder.

My H-lift is completely silent. :D

Not at all. The dialog has been excellent, that goes for all who have participated. :)

PLB does not. NOAA requires you register, and must do so annually, maybe every two years. Can't remember, they mail me, and I renew online and they send renewal acknowledgment in the mail with a new sticker that I apply to the PLB.

If the PLB if activated, it will emit a 406 MHz frequency that's detected by satellites. The U.S. Air Force controls the satellite and they are notified in Colorado, it's a Rescue Coordination Center, they in turn contact local LEO/SAR.

The PLB I have also emits a 121 MHz homing beacon signal is detectable by our 2Meter ham gear. It does this so SAR teams can zero in on a beacon if GPS goes wrong.

I bought my PLB in 2010 and as I recall it was over $400. The cost for these devices has come down substantially in recent times.

They have also saved a lot of lives since their inception. No reason not to get one if you're going to be out there.

20. Jan 9, 2016 at 8:05 PM
    DVexile

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB V6 TRD OR 4X4
    [​IMG]

nfs257 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top