1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The Lair

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by EatSleepTacos, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Nov 26, 2018 at 2:07 PM
    UntamedTaco

UntamedTaco Formerly: Montauk17

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma OR DCSB Barcelona Red
    Armor - Mobtown Offroad Front Bumper - Mobtown Offroad Rear High Clearance Bumper (with swing out) - Mobtown Offroad steel rock sliders - Mobtown Offroad steel IFS skid plate - Mobtown Offroad steel transfer case skid plate - Mobtown Offroad steel transmission skid plate - Mobtown Offroad steel fuel tank skid plate (currently not installed) Winch: - Smittybilt X2O COMP - Waterproof Synthetic Rope Winch - 10,000 lb. Load Wheels/Tires: - Toyota Black TRD Pro SEMA Wheels - Cooper ST Maxx Tune -OV Tune Installed Shocks: - Rear Shocks: Kings Racing with adjusters - Front shocks/coilovers: Kings Racing - UCA's: Dirt King Rear leafs: - Icon RXT Roof Racks: - Martin Offroad cab and cap racks Lighting: - Baja Designs floods - Baja Designs ditch - Baja Designs reverse lights Light controller: - sPOD 8 Switch Snorkel: - Dobinsons Cap: - Leer 100R with Premium Line-X Other Goodies: - On board air compressor with hose and nozzle - On board fresh water pump and water can. - Midland – MXT275VP4-15 Watt GMRS radio - Recovery gear (Shackles, Tree Saver, Snatch Block) - Ratcheting farm jack - Krazy Beaver Shovel - First World Problems Fabrication H-Lift Jack mount - First World Problems Fabrication Universal Mounts (Shovel/Axe) - Hondo Garage Un-holy Dashmount - Hondo Garage radio knobs - Other stuff that I am sure I forgot
    :help: :mudding:

EatSleepTacos[OP] likes this.
  2. Nov 26, 2018 at 2:11 PM
    UntamedTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Vehicle:
    Armor - Mobtown Offroad Front Bumper - Mobtown Offroad Rear High Clearance Bumper (with swing out) - Mobtown Offroad steel rock sliders - Mobtown Offroad steel IFS skid plate - Mobtown Offroad steel transfer case skid plate - Mobtown Offroad steel transmission skid plate - Mobtown Offroad steel fuel tank skid plate (currently not installed) Winch: - Smittybilt X2O COMP - Waterproof Synthetic Rope Winch - 10,000 lb. Load Wheels/Tires: - Toyota Black TRD Pro SEMA Wheels - Cooper ST Maxx Tune -OV Tune Installed Shocks: - Rear Shocks: Kings Racing with adjusters - Front shocks/coilovers: Kings Racing - UCA's: Dirt King Rear leafs: - Icon RXT Roof Racks: - Martin Offroad cab and cap racks Lighting: - Baja Designs floods - Baja Designs ditch - Baja Designs reverse lights Light controller: - sPOD 8 Switch Snorkel: - Dobinsons Cap: - Leer 100R with Premium Line-X Other Goodies: - On board air compressor with hose and nozzle - On board fresh water pump and water can. - Midland – MXT275VP4-15 Watt GMRS radio - Recovery gear (Shackles, Tree Saver, Snatch Block) - Ratcheting farm jack - Krazy Beaver Shovel - First World Problems Fabrication H-Lift Jack mount - First World Problems Fabrication Universal Mounts (Shovel/Axe) - Hondo Garage Un-holy Dashmount - Hondo Garage radio knobs - Other stuff that I am sure I forgot
    As I recall, this was just before Randy ripped my bumper corner off. I guess he didn't have enough humor in his life. haha :boink:

ovrlndkull and RobP62 like this.
  3. Nov 26, 2018 at 2:22 PM
    Slow Internet

Slow Internet 56k Modem FTW!

Member:
    First Name:
    Slow...
    Vehicle:
    1992 Dial Up Modem...
    Wiper Blades
    Mine whistles Dixie at any speed above 60. I was ready to yank it off on the drive home from AOAA.

Was going to do the rubber molding mod but not going to keep that light, so it can wait

4. Nov 26, 2018 at 2:28 PM
    UntamedTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Vehicle:
  5. Nov 26, 2018 at 2:48 PM
    RobP62

RobP62 NVR20LD

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Street, Md.
    Vehicle:
    TTC Member #0125
    Well, if I change my mind you can have mine. :thumbsup: There is a test near me but it is the 15th of December. I am not sure that is enough time for me to study considering my work schedule. Maybe......... not that it makes a difference about keeping the radio, I can always find a later date to study longer. I am just still not sold on the whole thing. I don't like I can't pick my own handle and I was dead set on Hung Like A Horse Fly. :D

6. Nov 26, 2018 at 3:01 PM
    ovrlndkull

ovrlndkull STUKASFK - HC4LIFE

Member:
    First Name:
    Skip
    Burlington, NC
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB Silver
    63s, XD Machete, Beat not Babied
    I try and be positive. Ran circle track for 8 yrs. Every week we were breaking, getting into a wreck, or having to tweak something and had to just push forward for the next week despite what happened. Even if we were completely bummed. One race the car got 75% demolished in a massive wreck, we were running in first a lap car decided to take us out and the top 5 cars ended up getting collected putting all of us out of the race. We got the car home that night and assessed the damages. By thurs. we had hacked and welded a new front clip on, new rad, fixed the ps door bars, half the rear clip was redone, and a new diff was put in along with a driveshaft. Fri. we had the track rented and were out there testing and setting up the suspension for the race sat. We all worked full time jobs and got about 2 hrs of sleep each night that week. But this yr we were setting track records for our class and taking a commanding lead in points plus won a really big purse race so we were determined to not have any missed, DNQs, or DNFs. This is where I learned to stay positive and not get all fussy even though it bummed the shit out of me. Oh and one of the guys helping us during that time is now an Engine Builder/Engineer for Roush/Yates NASCAR teams glad one of us made it to the big time finally :rofl:

7. Nov 26, 2018 at 3:03 PM
    ovrlndkull

Member:
    First Name:
    Skip
    Burlington, NC
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB Silver
    More like BEEEEEEP BEEEEEEEEP BEEEEEEEP and the truck doesn't make it through the water. TW doesn't have any good Emojis for that. :rofl:

8. Nov 26, 2018 at 3:03 PM
    RobP62

RobP62 NVR20LD

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Street, Md.
    Vehicle:
    TTC Member #0125
    Mine is loud when there is a headwind and it pulls on the roof rack. At lower speeds it sounds like you are in a apartment and the people above or below you have the stereo on and all you feel is the base. I think mounted to a Prinsu it would not be as bad. I think it would vibrate less and be behind the air flow over the roof.

9. Nov 26, 2018 at 3:07 PM
    ovrlndkull

Member:
    First Name:
    Skip
    Burlington, NC
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB Silver
    Man my Prisu was louder than my tires now I had the cutout for a light with no light. If you can get some good aero around/over the light that is going to be key maybe the Prinsu would help. I think personally whatever you add up there is going to make noise. You could always just strip the interior and sound deaden/insulate the whole interior. That would help.

RobP62[QUOTED] and UntamedTaco like this.
  10. Nov 26, 2018 at 3:13 PM
    RobP62

RobP62 NVR20LD

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Street, Md.
    Vehicle:
    TTC Member #0125
    Wow, that's a cool story Skip. Sounds like a really interesting and fun time. Sans the mishaps. Life can certainly deal you some shit sometimes. How you handle it can make or break you. I try to limit the opportunities of that happening. Especially since I am the definition of Murphy's Law. Why come time to hang in the woods I will be the guy taking all the safe routes and not following the leader. Cause as crazy as I am, I think that guy might be crazier. Or at least better equipped.

11. Nov 26, 2018 at 3:18 PM
    RobP62

RobP62 NVR20LD

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Street, Md.
    Vehicle:
    TTC Member #0125
    Well, I know the Prinsu for my truck bolts to the existing holes in 5 places on each side. I would think that would make it pretty vibration free. I know anything that breaks the wind is gonna make noise. My OEM rack makes noise alone, and if the cross bars are open it vibrates even more. Now, when I had the Thule Canyon roof basket attached to the cross rails on my 4Runner that was barely detectable. I think mainly because it sat back behind the slope of the windshield a little and had a deflector. It was not silent but it was not noisy either. I think with the light bar under/behind a deflector back a little it would be better.

12. Nov 26, 2018 at 3:19 PM
    ovrlndkull

Member:
    First Name:
    Skip
    Burlington, NC
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB Silver
    It was a very interesting time since we were all just out of HS and dropping every dime we had into racing. I don't necessarily veer from Murphy's law happening as I may miss out on one hell of an adrenaline rush. My brother said to me yesterday after we took the kids to one of those trampoline parks, "you're still the same old fearless self" I think he said that because I was doing flips and keeping up with my kiddo and my nephew the whole time not sure.

UntamedTaco likes this.
  13. Nov 26, 2018 at 3:21 PM
    ovrlndkull

Member:
    First Name:
    Skip
    Burlington, NC
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB Silver
    Yeah mine made wind noise since the 2nd gen and 3rd gen prinsu's are the same. It didn't vibrate at all and secured pretty well. My mom's factory roof bars on her CRV are almost unbareable to me those things howl like crazy.

RobP62[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Nov 26, 2018 at 3:33 PM
    RobP62

RobP62 NVR20LD

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Street, Md.
    Vehicle:
    TTC Member #0125
    Hmmmmm. Might have to come up with another plan then. I just really don't want to interfere with the sun roof. I use it a lot.

15. Nov 26, 2018 at 3:35 PM
    ovrlndkull

Member:
    First Name:
    Skip
    Burlington, NC
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB Silver
    You can move the cross bars around to avoid the sunroof.

16. Nov 26, 2018 at 3:55 PM
    RobP62

RobP62 NVR20LD

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Street, Md.
    Vehicle:
    TTC Member #0125
    Right, that's the biggest draw with me. I like that flexibility. The price is not cheap but I suppose it's a quality product that will last the life of the truck.

17. Nov 26, 2018 at 3:59 PM
    ovrlndkull

Member:
    First Name:
    Skip
    Burlington, NC
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB Silver
    I have a few gripes about it. If you look in my build thread you will see. I am not a fan of their mounting solution or how small the bolts toyota uses. I've been modeling something similar yet different but my biggest hold up is sealing up the mounting locations I haven't come up with a good solution for that as of yet.

18. Nov 26, 2018 at 4:05 PM
    RobP62

RobP62 NVR20LD

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Street, Md.
    Vehicle:
    TTC Member #0125
    Small as in diameter? The freaking bolts for the OEM rack were like 2" long. I felt like that was overkill. Maybe the nutserts they go into are just that deep.

19. Nov 26, 2018 at 4:13 PM
    ovrlndkull

Member:
    First Name:
    Skip
    Burlington, NC
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB Silver
    Skinny they are like an M6x1.25 or maybe it's 1.00. Plus the bolts prinsu provides aren't even graded. The strongest I could find were 8.8 not sure if they even make a 10.9 in that size. Also the way that prinsu uses spaces and then the tabs from the side rails isn't the best design IMO from an engineering/load stand point. I've got an engineering friend who has some sweet software we can run simulation data through and I didn't like what I saw for stress points and flexing and such so I ditched mine. Been working on something ever since. I know I am going to upgrade the nutcerts to an M8 min.

20. Nov 26, 2018 at 4:38 PM
    Jckdnls

Jckdnls Roads less explored

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Spicer, mn
    Vehicle:
    93 3.0 v6 sr5 5spd 08 ac or 6sp
    Dakar torsion bars
    Y didnt you mention that one earlier already pulled the trigger.
    http://www.radioinc.com/oscmax/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=4391

RobP62 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top