1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The LED SAE J583 Fog Pod & Fog Light Review

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by crashnburn80, Jun 20, 2018.

1. May 26, 2020 at 9:24 AM
    Tibetan Nomad

Tibetan Nomad Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    2016TRDOR:DCLB:JBL
    Vehicle:
    NitroGear5.29,B6112,.25"spcr,SPC:UCA,Diff-drop,ECGS
    B5160,Dakar-HD-leaf-pk+OL,UBolt-Flip,33s,Superbumps
    Which one of these SS3 did you get for your 5th gen 4Runner? I'm guessing same as 3rd gen Tacoma, the Type B model?

https://www.lightwerkz.net/index.php/stage-series-type-ft-tacoma-kit.html

https://www.lightwerkz.net/index.php/stage-series-type-b-kit.html

2. May 26, 2020 at 10:21 AM
    mynameistory

mynameistory My member is well known

Member:
    First Name:
    Tory
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    4Runner
    Tibetan Nomad[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. May 26, 2020 at 10:23 AM
    gotblika

gotblika Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maui
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB Sport 4X4
    5100'S 887 SPC B110 EL096R
    Tibetan Nomad[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. May 26, 2020 at 1:27 PM
    crashnburn80

crashnburn80 [OP] Vehicle Design Engineer

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Not sure what you are referring to in the video, he is talking about the SL1 headlight LED which isn't recommended for a fogs. The question I was answering was regarding the SLF LED, which is lower output specifically intended for fog lights. And the entire video is about headlights, not fog lights as covered in this thread. In general larger short and wide rectangular light assemblies will fare better with replacement LEDs than smaller round lights, as short wide rectangular lights don't really utilize the vertical light from a halogen unlike round lights, and the larger the lamp the less the change in relative geometry from using a larger LED bulb. Using a lamp with the optics purpose built around the LED light source will perform far better than using a replacement LED fitted into a housing designed for a halogen.

5. May 26, 2020 at 1:32 PM
    Too Stroked

Too Stroked Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    South shore of Lake Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner SR5 Premium
    xxTacocaTxx likes this.
  6. May 26, 2020 at 3:16 PM
    Too Stroked

Too Stroked Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    South shore of Lake Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner SR5 Premium
    My bad. I watched the whole thing. There's almost 30 minutes of my life I'll never get back. A few thoughts:

First of all, it's a marketing video. It's all about selling the product and not about science or facts. Anybody who blindly believes any marketing video deserves what they buy.

Speaking of facts, at the end he says LEDs work best in reflector housings. Wrong!

Second, CREE is not a model of LED chip. It's a manufacturer. They make some pretty decent products, but they don't make LED bulbs. People buy their chips and put them in all sorts of stuff - including things they don't work so well in. And the number of cheap Chinese knock off "CREE" chips is staggering. I'm sure the reason they picked that particular LED bulb for comparison to theirs was that it was the worst competitor.

Finally, I'll take science over marketing any day of the week. We get unbiased science from @crashnburn80 and you get biased marketing from every manufacturer. Mike drop.

xxTacocaTxx likes this.
  7. May 26, 2020 at 4:31 PM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    It actually depends, and what is defining best, presuming it is measured by peak output intensity: LEDs don't perform well in projectors because of the close proximity of the projector bowl doesn't allow uniform illumination of the projector bowl with the directional LEDs causing loss of focus and output intensity, but it does control the glare obviously extremely well with the internal light shield, so you can run an LED with no additional glare, and since the uplight portion of the projector is directly ahead of the bulb and the LEDs are pointing to the sides, you actually end up with less uplight than a stock halogen. The light shield glare control allows you to run a higher output LED like the Hikari Ultras and get better results than you would in a reflector if you were trying to prevent excess glare. In a reflector, large short and wide headlight assemblies designed for single filament bulbs will work better with LEDs than projectors for the reasons I mentioned earlier. Hence performance wise in measured output intensity the statement is accurate depending on the right housing and using the same LED for both while trying to keep glare levels down on the reflector. Round housings are not light uniformity and housings that support dual filament (hi/low) in a single housing pose additional design issues of controlling the light to prevent it from the high beam reflectors and creating excessive glare. But Diode Dynamics doesn't make a dual filament LED bulb. Again another component here is limiting output to not create crazy levels of glare, and many manufactures push their LEDs to be as bright as possible often making them bulkier compounding the glare and focus problems. If you look at Diode Dynamics, Philips, Sylvania they have all taken a similar approach in limiting output and building smaller more compact LEDs for better focus. Diode Dynamics was able to get the SL1 to be SAE compliant in an F150 headlight reflector housing which is a more optimal shape for an LED than our round dual filament Tacoma headlight reflector housings. Needless to say there are a lot of variables. But for fogs the best method is to use an replacement SAE LED assembly.

8. May 26, 2020 at 6:37 PM
    mynameistory

mynameistory My member is well known

Member:
    First Name:
    Tory
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    4Runner
    Nobody here values any manufacturer above data.

9. May 28, 2020 at 4:17 PM
    Tibetan Nomad

Tibetan Nomad Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    2016TRDOR:DCLB:JBL
    Vehicle:
    NitroGear5.29,B6112,.25"spcr,SPC:UCA,Diff-drop,ECGS
    B5160,Dakar-HD-leaf-pk+OL,UBolt-Flip,33s,Superbumps
    Ok too much data! :D:thumbsup: @crashnburn80 Whats your favorite top 3 fog lights?

10. May 28, 2020 at 5:33 PM
    HawkShot99

HawkShot99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kingston, NY
    Vehicle:
    13' Silver DCLB TRD Sport - Sold
    Diode dynamics, KC G4, and rigid.

11. May 28, 2020 at 8:49 PM
    Dr3w

Dr3w Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Vehicle:
    2007 White DCSB Sport
    Man, bought my SS3 pros on Black Friday and finally got the brackets to install them! Can't wait to test these out on the road.
    20200528_204739.jpg

12. May 28, 2020 at 9:16 PM
    tattooedsnake

tattooedsnake Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erick
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD sport 4x4
    -Bilstein 6112 front shock. Leveling lift -Bilstein 5100 rear shock w/TSB leaf pack. -Cooper Rugged Trek 265/70/17 -EBC front ultimax rotors w/yellow pads -Stoptech sport rear drums -Steel braided brake lines -Wet Okele seat covers front/rear with heaters -Custom built exhaust with Black Widow venom 250 muffler -Afe Stage 2 Dry CAI -Diode dynamics SS3 fog lights yellow. -OPT7 Projector Headlight Assembly w/Black backing -Undercover Flex Tonneau cover -Weather Tech floormats front and back
    05-11 SS3 sport fog 3000k package is installed and I am already loving it!!!!

Disclaimer on how I got mine installed so soon since they just went up on their website.

During the initial release of the SS3 pods, Paul from @Diode Dynamics posted that their was a mount for the 05-11 in development and would soon be released. Since the SS3 pods are so modular and would only need the new mounting bracket, I asked Paul if I could order a set at that time and get the mounting bracket shipped out whenever they are released. He agreed, so I went ahead and ordered them to avoid the back orders from the holiday rush. While Paul and his team were working on the mounting setup he contacted me asking if I would test fit the prototype and provide feedback. I was surprised and happy at the same time so I agreed. After Diode Dynamics finalized their design and hardware, I got sent a set of the mounting brackets and all hardware earlier this week.

-Now that that's taken care of... The important stuff.-

I was able to get the SS3 fogs installed yesterday. The process was pretty easy using the video that Diode Dynamics provided. After watching it a few times there really weren't any problems. As I went through the process I was checking for small details along with taking some pictures, so the first one took longer to install that it should have. I timed myself installing the passenger side without using the video and got everything done in 39 minutes.

I did find a few items that need to be mentioned.

The provided "bolts" that are used on each side of the assembly are screws and will require a 4mm Allen key. I found that using a 90* allen key in order to access the side screws made it easier. The screw that is on the outside (closest to fender) definitely requires a right angle allen key otherwise you can not access it. The inner screw (closer to engine) can be a little more difficult to get lined up and installed since you can't see it at all.

I set the adjustment screw to the suggested depth "even with the back of the bracket", but I feel that this might limit the amount of downward adjustment to much right from the start. Maybe try only threading the screw halfway. However, I have not tried using the adjustment screw for focusing yet, I only have used the tension of the side screws. I included pictures of my current focus which has the pods at the bottom of the tension limits with the adjustment screw set at the suggested threading. I have not had much road time with them installed other than driving to the park for initial focusing and photos. I will try using the adjustment screw when I get a chance to.

Focusing the fogs after installation was not to hard at all. Before finishing with each side. I tightened the outside screw (closest to fender) as tight as I could get it with the nylon nut before I reinstalled the fender liner while leaving the other screw tight enough. When sitting next to the wheel and you have the wheel turned all the way to one side, just like installation, you are able to reach in and access the inner screw (closest to the engine) (The 90* allen key is also handy for this). This give you a clear view to see the cutoff of your headlights and properly focus the fogs below that line and then lock it down with tension of the side screws. I will try using the adjustment screw when I get a chance to, but I think you most likely will have to lay under the truck. So using the side screws for finalizing your focus will definitely make it easier for you to identify where the beam should be. Gotta find that sweet spot with the adjustment screw and side tension, especially if you have a lift and will need to focus the fogs even lower than normal.

I have also included other pictures showing usage along with before/after.

Besides those few things everything was great and the lights are amazing. I love the look of them and the extremely wide coverage.

My truck has stock front shocks, 5100 rear with TSB leaf and 265/70/17 Falken wildpeak At3 for height reference. Headlights are Philips X-treme Vision +130% Headlight Bulbs mounted in aftermarket projectors.

I am still working on the final focus.

Thank to goes out to @crashnburn80 for his amazing write ups and unbiased information. It's because of your write ups that I bought the SS3 fogs.

Big thanks to Paul and his team at @Diode Dynamics for letting me be a part of this release.

Mounting bracket with spacers installed.

Bracket installed looking at the front.

Bracket installed looking at the back.

90* allen key 4mm

Close up 1

Close up 2

Driver's seat focus at approx 18' F2.4 ISO 200 Philips X-treme Vision +130% Headlight Bulbs

Driver's seat Headlights only F2.4 ISO 500
    Philips X-treme Vision +130% Headlight Bulbs

Driver seat's Headlights + SS3 sport fog 3000k F2.4 ISO 500
    Philips X-treme Vision +130% Headlight Bulbs

F2.4 ISO 100

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  13. May 28, 2020 at 9:27 PM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Pretty much! But to break it down further I’d go:

Selective Yellow:
    SS3 Pro, SS3 Sport, Rigid SAE D-series

For white:
    SS3 Pro 4000k, SS3 Sport 4000k, KC G4 5000k
    *SS3 4000k is selective yellow w/clear lens swap.

DoulosXP, Norton, Toy_Runner and 2 others like this.
  14. May 29, 2020 at 7:31 PM
    rdpoe

rdpoe #2WDFTW

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Central Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR DCLB (Sold), Honda Civic TRD PRO
    Guys, take advantage of the discount. These things are awesome

15. May 29, 2020 at 8:23 PM
    slowlane

slowlane Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    16 double cab MGM
    Ss3 sports and leds in the headlights. Ss3's make you appreciate I nice clean cutoff.

20200528_140641.jpg

16. May 29, 2020 at 8:35 PM
    gotblika

gotblika Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maui
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB Sport 4X4
    5100'S 887 SPC B110 EL096R
    AHH MA EYES

17. Jun 1, 2020 at 9:00 PM
    tattooedsnake

Member:
    First Name:
    Erick
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD sport 4x4
    -Bilstein 6112 front shock. Leveling lift -Bilstein 5100 rear shock w/TSB leaf pack. -Cooper Rugged Trek 265/70/17 -EBC front ultimax rotors w/yellow pads -Stoptech sport rear drums -Steel braided brake lines -Wet Okele seat covers front/rear with heaters -Custom built exhaust with Black Widow venom 250 muffler -Afe Stage 2 Dry CAI -Diode dynamics SS3 fog lights yellow. -OPT7 Projector Headlight Assembly w/Black backing -Undercover Flex Tonneau cover -Weather Tech floormats front and back
    What have some of you guys been using to vinyl wrap the area near the fog light to eliminate the extra light from the SS3 pods that hits the body? What type of Black vinyl?

18. Jun 1, 2020 at 9:13 PM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    You talking about wrapping the OEM bumper due to the deep setback of the fogs on the 05-11 Tacoma’s?

tattooedsnake[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Jun 1, 2020 at 9:25 PM
    tattooedsnake

Member:
    First Name:
    Erick
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD sport 4x4
    Yup exactly. I saw a post of a 4runner in here who had similar questions. It currently doesn't bother me, just thinking ahead and putting the question on here for others to see.

20. Jun 1, 2020 at 9:30 PM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    As shown in post #3242 I don’t think it would be an issue for oncoming drivers glare wise, those are deep fog buckets, but for cosmetic reasons I could see one wanting to black them out.

Products Discussed in

To Top