1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The LED SAE J583 Fog Pod & Fog Light Review

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by crashnburn80, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Nov 30, 2018 at 2:15 PM
    catastrofe

catastrofe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Montrose, CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 F350 Tremor
    There’s a. Adjustment knob that’s independent of the single mounting screw. Allows for vertical adjustment only, not horizontal.

readyme[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Nov 30, 2018 at 5:29 PM
    MadRiverTaco

MadRiverTaco Join TW, they said. It's free, they said.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brenden
    Waterbury, VT
    Vehicle:
    2012 Black DCSB TRD OR "Caroline"
    King 2.5 Ext. w/ Compression Adjusters (Front & Rear), Dakars w/ D29XL, TC UCA's & LCA's, ARE CX, 17" SEMA Pro's, 265/70/17 Falken Wildpeaks, BORA spacers, Rigid Side shooter ditch lights, ATHF bedside reinforcements, OME carrier bearing drop bracket, extended rear brake lines, Northstar 27F battery, Yakima Jetsream crossbars, OEM roof rack, OEM skid plate, TRD Pro grill, URD TCAI, 5.7L Throttle Body, BensonX bedside tool mounts, fire extinguisher bedside mount, AMP research bed step, Redline Tuning hood struts, ECGS needle bearing mod, CV Boot slide mod, Differential breather mod, U-Bolt Flip Kit w/ Timbren Bumpstops, A-pillar RAM mount w/ cell phone holder, ProFX tow mirrors with turn signals and heat, "Raptor" lights, DEPO taillights, motorized Pop n' Lock
    @crashnburn80 so I should perform my install about 20-25’ away from a wall to achieve the most accurate adjustments correct?

3. Nov 30, 2018 at 6:04 PM
    crashnburn80

crashnburn80 [OP] Vehicle Design Engineer

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Generally speaking that is correct. If you haven’t already installed them, do one at a time, adjust to match the OEM cutoff then install the other and adjust to match. Much easier than having to figure out the adjustment from scratch.

MadRiverTaco[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Nov 30, 2018 at 6:05 PM
    mrCanoehead

mrCanoehead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB Sport manual 3.5 l
    Could you please also publish the thermal and optical losses in steady state, for the white and amber models?

5. Dec 2, 2018 at 6:08 PM
    CBenfell

CBenfell I don’t know sh*t about f*ck

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Western Washington
    Vehicle:
    21 DCSB TRD OR Midnight Metallic Black
    Crippling Debt
    @crashnburn80 Hey I’ve got an off-topic question. Can I wire some 6” KC halogen lights at 100w into my oem fog light circuit on my 2nd Gen? I don’t intend on using them as fog lights, but because of my aftermarket bumper I’m not running any auxiliary lighting at all. Is the oem circuit able to handle 100w halogen lights, or would I have to beef up some components such as wiring or the relay? It would save me a bit of trouble if I could just utilize the fog circuit. Or should I just wire the KC lights independently?

Edit: Each light has 8.3 amp draw according to KC Lights website. I guess I need to figure out how many amps the stock circuit is rated for?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    crashnburn80[OP] likes this.
  6. Dec 2, 2018 at 6:21 PM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Got some Daylighters or Pro Sports? I’ve been looking at those. In short though, I would not recommend what you propose, the 100w per side is going to be too much for the OEM circuit. I don’t recall if the fogs are fused independently like the headlights, but the voltage drop would be pretty bad leading to poor performance even if the fuse would hold.

What I would do instead, is connect the power switch lead from the KC harness to an H10 plug, plug it into your OEM fog circuit, then connect the harness to the battery like you would otherwise. That will utilize your OEM switch and fog circuit to activate the KC relay to turn on the lights. If you were running The LED version of the Pro Sport or LED Daylighter your idea would work as they have much less current draw. Although looking for maximum output the halogens perform better according to KC and their specs.

7. Dec 2, 2018 at 6:23 PM
    CBenfell

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Western Washington
    Vehicle:
    Crippling Debt
    Darn. I am considering this because I don’t have the harness. I am getting them used.

8. Dec 2, 2018 at 6:31 PM
    skierd

skierd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Fairbanks, AK
    Vehicle:
    2021 F150 XL STX Screw 4x4 2.7
    I’m sure KC sells replacement harnesses, and there’s plenty pre-made harnesses on Amazon, at Rallylights, etc. I can’t speak to quality as it hasn’t arrived yet but I purchased a MICtuning 12ga harness for dual lights for $18 on Amazon. You’ll likely need to make some modifications but it’s a good place to start.

MICTUNING HD+ 12 Gauge 600W LED Light Bar Wiring Harness Kit w/ 60Amp Relay, 3 Free Fuse, Rocker Switch Blue(2 Lead) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WVWH5W4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_vvjbCbE21DHG0

CBenfell and crashnburn80[OP] like this.
  9. Dec 2, 2018 at 6:33 PM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Your 05 fogs are 42w, so going to 100w is pretty extreme. You can always build a harness or buy a generic one and adapt it to work. KC may be able to sell just the harness as well. @Taylor@KC HiLiTES may be able to hook you up with what you need.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    CBenfell likes this.
  10. Dec 2, 2018 at 6:41 PM
    CBenfell

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Western Washington
    Vehicle:
    Crippling Debt
    I think I will find a generic harness, I need it quick. I am not “electrically inclined” as you can see.

But what you suggest is using the harness: leads go to power, to ground, to the light fixtures as normal from the relay. But instead of sending 2 leads to an included switch, just wire them to the - and + of the oem fog light plug. That will make my fog light button activate the KC relay? But this is safer because power is running through the heavy duty harness. The only place the oem circuit is used is to trigger the relay, turning the lights on. And that is safe?

11. Dec 2, 2018 at 7:13 PM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Correct.

There will be 2 activation leads (+-) to the relay to activate it, which should go to the switch. It is the activation leads from the relay that you want to adapt to the H10 plug and plug into the OEM fog circuit. When you click the fog light button in the cab, fog circuit is powered and flips the relay. It is safe, and the same way both my fogs and headlights are powered.

12. Dec 2, 2018 at 8:28 PM
    CBenfell

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Western Washington
    Vehicle:
    Crippling Debt
    Thank you for the help friends!

crashnburn80[OP] likes this.
  13. Dec 3, 2018 at 7:28 AM
    Taylor@KC HiLiTES

Taylor@KC HiLiTES Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    See build thread
    We do sell the harness separately which is found here --> http://www.kchilites.com/accessories/wiring/relay-wiring-harness-kc-6315.html

On the wiring note, I think I am following along with @crashnburn80 . My understanding is that on the diagram below, the green activation lead (normally goes to switch) would just be modified to connect into the stock fog circuit. You'd also have to include the black as well, right? Clever way of going about that, I'd never considered that as a possibility. I am no electrical guru, but I know enough and I like that solution.

upload_2018-12-3_8-25-1.jpg

14. Dec 3, 2018 at 11:03 AM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    That is correct.

In the diagram cut off the black and green wire ends where they connect to a switch, purchase an H10 plug like this and wire the positive (green) to the red wire and negative (black) to black. Then plug it into the OEM foglight plug. The white wire is not used since the fog circuit already has power. Using the incab fog switch, powers the fog circuit, which flips the relay providing direct power to your lights with a dedicated circuit capable of handling the 200w power draw.

Clean and factory like on the inside, while wired correctly for high power under the hood.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  15. Dec 6, 2018 at 5:16 AM
    Bannerman

Bannerman Tasteful Thickness

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnson
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    22 Tremor 402A, 22 T4R ORP
    KC Ambers came in a couple days ago and I put them in last night. Install was simple, took maybe half hour but 10 min of that was looking for my short Philips screwdriver. Initial impressions: wish there was a little bit more light but I do understand you can't expect that much intensity from the more limited color temp. Build quality of housings seems inline with the price though I will be watching to see how well the wiring harness/pigtail holds up, just jacketed wire with shrink tube on it, not sure that's going to last 23 years. I really dig how well the color matches up with the DRLs. Will need to find some time to aim them a little better, now sure exactly how high or low they are supposed to be, maybe one of you guys can chime in there? I really like how they look when the they are off, its subtle but they look better than stock, need to do the BHLM to match. We potentially have some snow coming this weekend so I may be able to test them in inclement weather, though I'm in NC so we never get what they predict. Overall I will be happy with them IF they hold up long term.

IMG_8092.jpg
    IMG_8093.jpg
    IMG_8096.jpg
    IMG_8095.jpg

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    FastEddy59 and crashnburn80[OP] like this.
  16. Dec 6, 2018 at 8:25 AM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Little late now, but I find it easiest to replace one light at a time, then aim the new light to match the other remaining factory light. Then swap in the second light and aim to match the now adjusted one.

17. Dec 6, 2018 at 8:28 AM
    Bannerman

Bannerman Tasteful Thickness

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnson
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    22 Tremor 402A, 22 T4R ORP
    Ah, that would have been a good idea.

Looked it up and saw to aim the top of the cut off 4" below fog light height at 25', sound about right?

18. Dec 6, 2018 at 10:49 AM
    MadRiverTaco

MadRiverTaco Join TW, they said. It's free, they said.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brenden
    Waterbury, VT
    Vehicle:
    2012 Black DCSB TRD OR "Caroline"
    King 2.5 Ext. w/ Compression Adjusters (Front & Rear), Dakars w/ D29XL, TC UCA's & LCA's, ARE CX, 17" SEMA Pro's, 265/70/17 Falken Wildpeaks, BORA spacers, Rigid Side shooter ditch lights, ATHF bedside reinforcements, OME carrier bearing drop bracket, extended rear brake lines, Northstar 27F battery, Yakima Jetsream crossbars, OEM roof rack, OEM skid plate, TRD Pro grill, URD TCAI, 5.7L Throttle Body, BensonX bedside tool mounts, fire extinguisher bedside mount, AMP research bed step, Redline Tuning hood struts, ECGS needle bearing mod, CV Boot slide mod, Differential breather mod, U-Bolt Flip Kit w/ Timbren Bumpstops, A-pillar RAM mount w/ cell phone holder, ProFX tow mirrors with turn signals and heat, "Raptor" lights, DEPO taillights, motorized Pop n' Lock
    Got mine installed last night. I love how wide these project out and the cutoff is ideal. Now to patiently wait for my items to arrive for the ultimate headlight upgrade. :playball:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    Bannerman likes this.
  19. Dec 6, 2018 at 11:26 AM
    17TRD

17TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR 4X4 DCSB
    Crashburn forgive me if this has been covered. I was at Toyota on Monday and saw the new 2019 Tundra TRD Pro. It has a new style od Rigid Led Fog. See here. .20181203_135030.jpg

20. Dec 6, 2018 at 11:33 AM
    DirtJumper14

DirtJumper14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD OR
    5100's, BDF grills and light bracket, big 3 upgrade, ATH bed braces, snugtop xtra vision shell, (bed, shell, hood, rock, front, rear, footwell, glove box, center console led lighting), MESO Gasshole, MESO dome and map lights, Flyeyez center console light, custom fuse panel, TRD CAI, toyota bed mat, 2013 black carpet, 2015 side mirrors, BedRug, AJT key fob, ultraguage, 8 cadillac horns acdf, pop n lock tailgate lock, energy suspension bushings, spicer greasable ujoints, Rigid lights everywhere, kenwood stereo, led tube taillights (red), 2018 T4R trail wheels, rokblok mud flaps, TRD skid plate, RCi gas tank skid plate
    He and I were discussing that light a few weeks ago. He was going to ask his Rigid contact. Anything yet @crashnburn80 ?

17TRD[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top