1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The LED SAE J583 Fog Pod & Fog Light Review

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by crashnburn80, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Jul 2, 2018 at 8:36 PM
    crashnburn80

crashnburn80 [OP] Vehicle Design Engineer

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Depends on what you are looking for, but regrets seem unlikely. They are the brightest LED fog available, though they have a higher color temperature than KC. Some might prefer that, others might not. Are you trying to color match the lights?

2. Jul 2, 2018 at 9:32 PM
    TRD2010SpeedwayBlue

TRD2010SpeedwayBlue Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    2010 Speedway Blue TRD Offroad
    well the thing is i really want amber/yellow idk how i feel about the covers rigid sells
    but i want something i can use at night that wont be a problem to oncoming traffic.
    i mean i had 3k led lights in my stock foglights and wasnt really a problem with other traffic. they just shined way too much excessive light on the road. light highway signs up on the air i would be able to see the light shining off em.. the baja designs look real nice, but i dont know if id be fine with the 1700 i think they are lumen ones. i know there not sae which id prefer because you get a somewhat nice cutoff. but yeah

amber/yellow is what i really like.
    would i be satisfied enough with the covers from rigid?

3. Jul 2, 2018 at 10:10 PM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    The fact that you illuminate overhead highway signs with your fogs should tell you they are a problem with oncoming traffic. People flashing you is not a good indicator. Light from fogs should not be any higher than where the light source is mounted.

I hope to test the Rigid covers soon, the other option is to use a true amber light source like the KC G4 Amber which isn't relying on a light reducing filter to alter the color of the light.

ChadsPride likes this.
  4. Jul 3, 2018 at 12:17 AM
    TRD2010SpeedwayBlue

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    o i know. i dont have them installed anymore. something broke on one of the connectors. o had to get a new piece which i did and i never reinstalled. so i just have stock bulbs currently. and the kc g4 would be good but they wont work in my 2010 :(

5. Jul 3, 2018 at 7:17 AM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Oh, right. I plan on picking up some amber covers to test soon. Perhaps @Onwarrds can share his driving impressions and some output shots running the amber covers on the Rigids.

6. Jul 3, 2018 at 7:33 AM
    TRD2010SpeedwayBlue

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    thatd be legit. and these can be aimed up and down and stuff right?
    just unsure if i should get these pods or if i should just go with the xb morimoto’s

7. Jul 3, 2018 at 10:06 AM
    Onwarrds

Onwarrds @onwrrds

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black TRD OR 4x4 DCLB
    Fox 2.5 DSC Adjusters (Extended Travel), Camburg UCA, RCI Rear Bumper, Cali-Raised Zero Degree Step Rock Sliders (with filler plates), Softopper, TRD Pro Skid, Rigid, Baja and KC lights, H9 Headlight Upgrade.
    I really like the Rigids with the covers so far. I've only had them on about 3 days so haven't done a ton of night driving, but they definitely light the road to my expectations. I'm also pleasantly surprised with the actual color of the light, it's a nice golden yellow. As for the covers themselves, they are beefy and seem durable. They also look good to me on the lights stylistically, Rigid does a pretty good job making them fit the look of the lights naturally.

These lights, even with the covers, blow stock fogs out of the water for sure. I spent a while aiming them correctly when I installed them. I basically installed one side and then aimed it to match the factory fog light on my garage door. Then I installed the second light and aimed it to match the first light. Pretty simple, but it was tedious to make sure my truck was an even distance from my garage door on both sides and perfectly level. (Basically the aiming took longer than the actual instal! Haha).

You cannot angle the lights side to side with the Rigid mounting plates and brackets for the stock bumpers, but you do have adjustability up and down. There is a bolt you can loosen to slide them side to side but the angle does not change, just the actual light placement in the plate. (I hope that makes sense).

What I will try and do tonight or tomorrow is take one cover off and compare the amber side with the white side on the road from the driver's seat. I know it will be hard to tell from photos what the actual output looks like, but I'll see what I can do. Stoked for when @crashnburn80 does the actual output test for the amber covers so we can see the concrete numbers of how much the covers reduce output and what kind of color temp they are actually producing.

8. Jul 3, 2018 at 10:44 AM
    TRD2010SpeedwayBlue

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:

awesome!! post up some pics of output like against a wall and all that.
    and your method of aiming is exactly how i planned to aim whatever foglights i go with

in for the pics thanks man i appreciate it!!! deff need fogs once i get my retros

crashnburn80[OP] and Rick_Taco like this.
  9. Jul 3, 2018 at 2:36 PM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Good point on the vertical aiming alignment with stock, that is the same procedure I use and much easier than aiming without a reference point if you remove both lights at once. I'll add that to the thread for others to reference as well. As to the right/left aiming, the stock fogs don't have that either, stock is just up and down. The fog pattern is so wide throw that a few degrees right/left wouldn't even be noticeable anyway, unlike the flat cut off of the beam for vertical aiming.

Looking forward to the pics!

10. Jul 3, 2018 at 10:43 PM
    Onwarrds

Onwarrds @onwrrds

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    Fox 2.5 DSC Adjusters (Extended Travel), Camburg UCA, RCI Rear Bumper, Cali-Raised Zero Degree Step Rock Sliders (with filler plates), Softopper, TRD Pro Skid, Rigid, Baja and KC lights, H9 Headlight Upgrade.
    Alright here are some night shots for @TRD2010SpeedwayBlue and @crashnburn80. I hope these help show a bit of the amber covers vs. the white light on the Rigids.

** All photos were taken with the Fog Lights on and Headlights Off. My LED DRLs were also on as I cannot power my fogs without them because I'm wired into the factory switch. The DRLs don't put out much light though when the fogs are on.

Driving with both Amber covers
    IMG_0462 2.jpg

Driving Amber Cover on the Driver's Side, No Cover on the Passenger Side
    IMG_0468.jpg

~ 15 feet away from wall, Amber Covers on (*this wall is raw brick on the left and painted brick on the right. I thought this would be nice to show a variety of surfaces and how the light reflects off them.)
    IMG_0474.jpg

~15 Feet away from wall, Amber covers off (*this wall is raw brick on the left and painted brick on the right. I thought this would be nice to show a variety of surfaces and how the light reflects off them.)
    IMG_0476.jpg

~3 Feet from wall, Amber covers on
    IMG_0484.jpg

~3 Feet away from wall, Amber covers off
    IMG_0482.jpg

~3 Feet away from wall, 1 on, 1 off
    IMG_0487.jpg

11. Jul 3, 2018 at 10:47 PM
    TRD2010SpeedwayBlue

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    o wow these look good!!

crashnburn80[OP] likes this.
  12. Jul 3, 2018 at 10:50 PM
    Onwarrds

Onwarrds @onwrrds

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Southern California
    Vehicle:

Yes! They are pretty impressive. I haven't been offroad with them yet, but these combined with the H9 headlight upgrade I did are super nice on the roads. Night and Day compared to stock.

crashnburn80[OP] likes this.
  13. Jul 3, 2018 at 11:10 PM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Great looking pics, thanks for sharing! One nice thing about the covers is the ‘adjustability’ of the color.

14. Jul 3, 2018 at 11:12 PM
    Onwarrds

Onwarrds @onwrrds

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    Definitely! That was one of the main reasons I went the route I did with these fogs. The covers are super easy to pop on and off depending on what you need.

15. Jul 3, 2018 at 11:27 PM
    SaphiraTaco

SaphiraTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Seattle WA
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB TRD Sport
    About halfway done...
    Thanks @Onwarrds That really helps to see the flexibility of the Rigids

16. Jul 4, 2018 at 5:23 AM
    TRD2010SpeedwayBlue

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    can ya take 2 more pics. one with the amber covers on and the headlights on. and one with no amber covers and headlights on.

maby a video??

17. Jul 4, 2018 at 7:27 AM
    TRD2010SpeedwayBlue

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    okay who has baja designs in amber. and can provide some pics similar to the ones onwarrds just posted??

18. Jul 4, 2018 at 8:04 AM
    MCDavis

MCDavis Taco life is over. Full time 4wd for the win.

Member:
    RIC, VA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport 4wd (SOLD) - Currently in a 2016 GX460
    Looking at replacing my Morimotos. It sounds like the KC G4s would be a substantial upgrade. Yes?

19. Jul 4, 2018 at 8:30 AM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    You looking for color comparison? The BDs won’t have the sharp cut off of the Rigids.

Yes. @Too Stroked switched from Morimoto to KC and could maybe give you his driving impressions.

20. Jul 4, 2018 at 8:43 AM
    TRD2010SpeedwayBlue

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Vehicle:
    more so output comparrison.
    i know they wont have the cutoff but i want to know if the light is more like scattered. and how it looks on the road.
    the baja’s shouldnt be used in like traffic and stuff at night right?

Products Discussed in

To Top