1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The MAXED OUT GVCWR thread

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Green Jeans, Feb 9, 2018.

?

Did you know your max payload is 1465 and GVCWR is 11,100?

1. Yup, and I won't even get close at shaking a stick at that

16 vote(s)
    47.1%
  2. Sure do and I max that puppy out!!!!!

18 vote(s)
    52.9%
  1. Nov 25, 2018 at 7:56 PM
    Green Jeans

Green Jeans [OP] 6MT AC TRD OR 1GR-FE FTMFW

Member:
    Oregone
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Off-Road
    Still haven't registered my rig here in Valley County :anonymous:

I did register my flatbed trailer and opted for the PERM plates which can stay with me regardless of where I move in the future:
    https://itd.idaho.gov/DMV/MotorCarrierServices/NorthAmericanPermanentTrailerPlates.htm

2. Nov 25, 2018 at 10:15 PM
    mr.trd

mr.trd Are you Recreationally Insane?

Member:
    First Name:
    Brant
    Pocatello, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    '06 S/C 1GR-FE DCSB
    Icon coilovers w 14" 700lb springs, Icon billet UCA w/ Delta joints, custom built Icon rear resi-shocks, Icon stage 3 rear leaf pack, Archive Garage Hammer Hangers w/ homemade spreader bar, superbumps up front and timbren bumps in the rear, Crown brake lines, U-bolt flip,4.88's with front ARB locker and ARB dual compressor mounted behind back seat, 285/75R17 BFG A/T KO2's on Bronze Icon Alloy Compression's, 5th gen T4R budget big brake kit, CBI Off-Road Fab. custom Trailmaster 2.0 with swing-away tire carrier, CBI custom tube front bumper, CBI kickout sliders, CBI full flat belly skids including gas tank,CBI Ditch Light brackets w/ Heretic Studio Quattro's, Heretic Studio's 30" Amber on the front, Heretic Studio 40" bar under the Front Runner Roof Rack, Expedition Essentials RAM mount, Leer used shell, OEM black chrome sport headlights, fog lights always on mod, rear locker anytime mod, TRD supercharger, URD Ucon-EMS, Deatschwerks 255 fuel pump w/ URD external fuel filter kit, AFE intake paired to a Safari Snorkel, URD spec-U exhaust w/ factory Tundra muffler behind URD equal length headers.
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  3. Dec 10, 2018 at 7:26 PM
    mynewtoy

mynewtoy I like men

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    09 double cab 4x4
    Detriot locker rear ARB air locker front 4.56 gears OME 3" lift, SPC uca's , moto metal 951 wheels 315/75/r16 Treadwright guard dogs, homemade front plate bumper with smittybilt 9.5k winch, homemade skids, homemade Bed bars, Mobtown offroad high clearance rear bumper with tire carrier, Homemade rock sliders , U-bolt flip, Wheeler's super bumps, BORA 1" wheel spacers , Black headlight mod , black tail lights, Satoshi Grill , autoPage C3 RS-665 alarm with remote start, flowmaster 40 series exhaust, cruise control,bed/ground effect lights, wet okole seat covers, tinted,windows, weather tech floor mats, AVS vent shades, debadged, hidden cobra 19 cb, 7" offroad lights behind grill, rear diff breather relocate, abs kill switch
    I hauled 1,400 lbs of tile home in the bed yesterday. I know that doesn't sound like much but I had the wife and kids (500)lbs and a 1,000 lbs of armor.

So that's around 2,900 lbs of payload. Handled it perfect and still had 2 1/2 inches until I hit the bumpstops.

I never felt it hit the bumpstops but I have the Wheeler's superbumps and that's what their purpose is.

The guy at Home Depot gave me a funny look when we added up the weight and I told him my Tacoma could handle that.
    But he agreed with me once we sat it on the truck

mr.trd likes this.
  4. Dec 11, 2018 at 12:48 PM
    F-125Racer

F-125Racer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    09,DC,TRD Sport, 4WD, TRD S/C
    My truck is a 2009, DC, TRD Sport, V-6, Auto, 150,000 miles. Spring and trans TSB's have been done, and I added a TRD Supercharger. The trailer is a 12ft FeatherLite, 6' 2" high, 6' 8" wide. It's a V-nose, so it's about 14' 6" long down the center, average loaded weight of the trailer is 4,600lb. I tow at about 68mph and usually average about 12-13 mpg, unless it's a headwind or hilly interstate. I tow about 10,000 miles per year. My only issue ever was a front u-joint that died because the dealership (they have to do all the maintenance for me to keep the extended warranty) neglected to grease. I tow all over the east half of the US and my biggest concern was the mountains in Va, in the heat of summer. I wasted my time even thinking about it. Zero heat issues even up the ugliest ones, plus I passed several of the"big three" pickups pulling trailers that were pulled off to the side on some of the long twisting grades, two with white smoke boiling out from underneath. The supercharger was money well spent and is fun to have. I love puffing just about any V-8 truck.

mr.trd and mynewtoy like this.
  5. Jan 3, 2019 at 4:45 PM
    Snowy

Snowy Is neither here nor there

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Winnebago, IL
    Vehicle:
    3 linked 98 Xtra cab
    Stock-ish
    I have...scaled and roadside inspected Fined $500 too.

It's not uncommon around here for plow trucks to be scaled since many of them run overweight with big v-plows and spreaders.

Right up until you are scaled and they check your door tag that lists GVWR/FAWR/RAWR. Been there and done that.

Just wait until your insurance finds out that you knowingly and willfully overloaded your truck over the manufacturer ratings. They will deny your claim in a heartbeat. Insurance doesn't cover you from being intentionally dumb or criminally liable in the event of a major accident.

Sure most people get away with it since many beat cops are not aware of weight ratings and the like when you are pulled over for a citation or involved in a fender bender. But if you come across the wrong CMV/DOT guy or are involved in an accident with a crash reconstructionist, then you can be in for a world of hurt.

Ruggybuggy likes this.
  6. Jan 3, 2019 at 6:16 PM
    mynewtoy

mynewtoy I like men

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    09 double cab 4x4
    Detriot locker rear ARB air locker front 4.56 gears OME 3" lift, SPC uca's , moto metal 951 wheels 315/75/r16 Treadwright guard dogs, homemade front plate bumper with smittybilt 9.5k winch, homemade skids, homemade Bed bars, Mobtown offroad high clearance rear bumper with tire carrier, Homemade rock sliders , U-bolt flip, Wheeler's super bumps, BORA 1" wheel spacers , Black headlight mod , black tail lights, Satoshi Grill , autoPage C3 RS-665 alarm with remote start, flowmaster 40 series exhaust, cruise control,bed/ground effect lights, wet okole seat covers, tinted,windows, weather tech floor mats, AVS vent shades, debadged, hidden cobra 19 cb, 7" offroad lights behind grill, rear diff breather relocate, abs kill switch
    Were you in a passenger vehicle or commercial vehicle? If your getting payed to plow roads in a plow truck, the truck becomes a commercial vehicle and is subject to a bunch of laws passenger vehicles are not. the laws for commercial vehicles don't even max out at the factory recommended GVWR they are in classes like this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commercial_vehicle

Commercial truck classification[edit]

Commercial trucks are classified according to the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR). The United States Department of Transportation classifies commercial trucks with eight classes:[3]

• Class 1- GVWR ranges from 0 to 6,000 pounds (0 to 2,722 kg)
    • Class 2- GVWR ranges from 6,001 to 10,000 pounds (2,722 to 4,536 kg)
    • Class 3- GVWR ranges from 10,001 to 14,000 pounds (4,536 to 6,350 kg)
    • Class 4- GVWR ranges from 14,001 to 16,000 pounds (6,351 to 7,257 kg)
    • Class 5- GVWR ranges from 16,001 to 19,500 pounds (7,258 to 8,845 kg)
    • Class 6- GVWR ranges from 19,501 to 26,000 pounds (8,846 to 11,793 kg)
    • Class 7- GVWR ranges from 26,001 to 33,000 pounds (11,794 to 14,969 kg)
    • Class 8- GVWR is anything above 33,000 pounds (14,969 kg)

So you could load a Mazda Miata to 6,000 LBS and be Legal

It's not against the law in Mississippi to run over the manufacturer recomended GVWR in a passenger vehicle. The law does say you can't have over 20,000 LBS on any single axle but I don't think anyone is going to get close to that in a tacoma. The last time i checked Toyota couldn't write laws anywhere in the country. And how is the insurance going to not cover you and you be held criminally liable if your not breaking the law?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    mr.trd likes this.
  7. Mar 23, 2019 at 5:05 PM
    Green Jeans

Green Jeans [OP] 6MT AC TRD OR 1GR-FE FTMFW

Member:
    Oregone
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Off-Road
    I did a dry run down to my local scale today.
    Truck + Camper + Tongue Weight: 5980# - I had a passenger & a 40# dog in the cab.
    Trailer: 1500# - will likely be closer to 2000#, maybe a bit more by the time we roll out of town.

***EDIT*** my airbags are at every bit of 50 PSI right now

upload_2019-3-23_18-2-12.jpg

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    mynewtoy likes this.
  8. Mar 24, 2019 at 9:46 AM
    jprovencher8

jprovencher8 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I run a 7.5' stainless plow on the front on OME 887s. LIKE. A. CHAMP. Incredible vehicle for friends / family driveways. Engine runs way cooler than my my sierra did too!

Products Discussed in

To Top