1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The new electronics scare me

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by seligman, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Jan 22, 2015 at 7:26 AM
    AFHart

AFHart I'm just telling ya what I told ya!

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Denver Area
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD OR 4x4 - MGM
    I stopped at the Toyota dealership and all of the 2015 Tacoma's had navi in them. Granted, they only had 6 on the lot, but they all had them. The sales team were swamped with customers so I didn't get a chance to ask them how much it would cost for updates to the maps. Does anyone here have the navi and performed an update? My old Garmin was $149 for unlimited updates. My phone with Google Maps is free...

2. Jan 22, 2015 at 7:38 AM
    TruKnight

TruKnight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tru
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Autobot Mall Crawler
    read build thread
  3. Jan 22, 2015 at 8:01 AM
    Snowbrdr1220

Snowbrdr1220 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    13 DC TRD Off Road NBM
    You must have had a really old GPS then, my Garmin Nuvi has been flawless and also came with free lifetime updates.

You're iPhone would be alright if you always have cell phone service, but the biggest advantage to having a GPS is that they work everywhere, not just where there is service. I frequently drive my truck into the mountains and rural areas where there is no cell service, so navigation by cell phone isn't the most reliable. I would also hate to be lost on a long trip far away from home, and find out I have no navigation because there is no cell service in the area.

4. Jan 22, 2015 at 8:05 AM
    DVexile

DVexile Exiled to the East

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB V6 TRD OR 4X4
    Yeah well keyed entry and keyless entry can both be defeated in 10 seconds with a slim jim, so who cares? Is someone other than a nerdy academic trying to get grant money really going to spend 30 minutes in a parking lot trying to open your door with electrical gizmos when a $10 piece of spring steel will do it in the blink of an eye?

What maters is the immobilizer chip which prevents them from driving the vehicle away once inside. That hasn't been hacked and is what has resulted in the insanely dramatic reduction in vehicle thefts since being introduced. And once you have immobilizer chip the keyed ignition is pointless.

5. Jan 22, 2015 at 8:13 AM
    CaptAmerica

CaptAmerica Asphalt Avenger! TTC#13

Member:
    First Name:
    Cap
    In a van down by the river
    Vehicle:
    Gen 2.9 DCLB TRD Sport w/tech
    Stickers and not enough wax
    Anywhere I drive I have service, so it's not an issue. I also save my maps in an offline mode if I'm going to be running around in a particular area and want to save on bandwidth: http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-use-google-maps-offline-on-ios-android/ It's bad enough that the GPS antenna rips through battery life like a zombie on fresh brains.

I do it because I don't want to get raked over the goals for going over 2GB, but it also works when you're going somewhere without service. Nowadays, it's getting harder and harder to find places without coverage. Hell, I can even get LTE out in the middle of Goliad county sitting in a deer stand! Those that normally end up in a non-covered area usually have to try, ususally out west. I'm not a big offroader, so it doesn't matter to me.

6. Jan 22, 2015 at 8:20 AM
    Snowbrdr1220

Snowbrdr1220 Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    13 DC TRD Off Road NBM
    There are lots of spots here in rural PA where there is still no service, they're not that hard to find especially up north.

7. Jan 22, 2015 at 8:34 AM
    Tacoma Noob

Tacoma Noob Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston Texas
    Vehicle:
    Toyota GT86
    I can't wait for a push start truck, I'll never take my keys out of my pocket again.

8. Jan 22, 2015 at 8:42 AM
    ZachMX

ZachMX Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    00 AC, 08 DCSB, 11 AC,15 DCLB, 16 DCLB,17 DCSB
    Wrong, it is located on totally different part of the dash and is larger and textured different along with different color on the 2012+

The new truck it sits right next to the climate controls and looks the same. Dosent bother me but there is a difference between the two on current gen.

9. Jan 22, 2015 at 8:43 AM
    ZachMX

ZachMX Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Are you sure it was Navi, the headunit screens look the same between nav and no nav. My 2015 is non nav.

10. Jan 22, 2015 at 8:50 AM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    Blah, blah, blah, wah, wah, wah, it's 2015 people, stop living in the past. Technology is technology and it will continue to get more advanced year in, year out. If you want simplicity, stick to the older models. If Toyota didn't update anything on their cars, they would have gone out of business a long time ago.

Quit complaining and accept the change, nothing will change it now. We should be thankful it even got an update, look at how aged the Nissan Frontier is and you wonder why it doesn't sell worth a crap. Not many people want to spend the money to buy a new truck that has 10+ year old technology still under it when there are other, modern options available for close to the same price. Toyota seems to do this in a trend, each Tacoma generation has lasted about the same time, the first gen lasted 9 years and the second gen lasted 10.

11. Jan 22, 2015 at 9:04 AM
    ZachMX

ZachMX Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Agreed way to much b*t*hing about really pointless dumb stuff/issues. Its a nice truck, if you don't like it buy a 2nd or 1st gen.

12. Jan 22, 2015 at 9:35 AM
    AFHart

AFHart I'm just telling ya what I told ya!

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Denver Area
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD OR 4x4 - MGM
    I looked at the stickers and it said Navi, so I am pretty sure. Either way, I am curious if there is a fee (I would guess yes) and how much to update maps in a Navi system.

A friend has two Acura's that run about $300 to update his maps. I figured it would be in that range. I've never had a vehicle with a navigation system. Always used Garmin or my phone.

13. Jan 22, 2015 at 9:39 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Some people fear change

14. Jan 22, 2015 at 9:45 AM
    Ghost.

Ghost. TW 1%er

Member:
    First Name:
    Raymond
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    2014 4runner Limited
    Ohh dear. This thread is going to be a good one

15. Jan 22, 2015 at 10:00 AM
    TacoGlenn

TacoGlenn Nobody Makes a Monkey Outta Me!

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    '13 MGMAC 2.7L SR5
    Hellwig 1251's, Leer 122, Kahtec smart stop delay flashing 3rd brake light, de-chromed, de-badged, WeatherTech mats, WeatherTech side window deflectors,
    slimjim2.jpg

16. Jan 22, 2015 at 10:06 AM
    CaptAmerica

Member:
    First Name:
    Cap
    Vehicle:
    All that is missing on that post is the mike drop.

17. Jan 22, 2015 at 11:10 AM
    JB3CK24

JB3CK24 Return to the 36 Chambers

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    SD, CA
    Vehicle:
    2001 4x4 TRD, 2003 BMW 330i ZHP
    - The mechanical ignition switch is gone(?) replaced by a Start/Stop button. Do the door locks on the 2016's have metal keys for the exterior?

Cars have had this feature now for more than a decade, easy. You are acting like Toyota is doing something insane .. As quoted, Toyota said their main goal was QDR (Quality, Durability and Reliabilty)

- The climate control is now zoned left/right or front/rear. No doubt an expensive fix when the control head fails.

Really?? I have owned BMWs since the 90s and they have always had this feature and to be honest it's never been an expensive fix nor an issue. This is 20+ year old tech

- More and more electronic controls in the steering wheel.

You are fishing here.. My BMWs and Toyotas have had these types of controls and NEVER an issue

- Who's idea was it to make the 4WD switch virtually identical to the A/C control knob?

Okay, one valid concern finally... This does bring some design cohesiveness but it's not placed in the most ideal area. Then again, we are smart people so it should not be an issue.

Bottom line is that all of these issues are easily fixable down the line in the unlikely event they fail.

18. Jan 22, 2015 at 11:24 AM
    cory02taco

cory02taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2013 trd super sport
    Maybe I'm wrong

Isn't this a pre production model subject to a few changes? I went to a snowmobile show a few years back when Yamaha unveiled the new apex. It was cool, but quite a bit different than the production model that was in our showroom a few months later.

Perhaps the unveiling of a new tacoma wouldn't have worked so well if there were a big asterisk on the screen with fine print that read "subject to change".

Could we be getting worked up over nothing?

19. Jan 22, 2015 at 11:25 AM
    CaptAmerica

Member:
    First Name:
    Cap
    Vehicle:
    Blasphemer. Don't take away our joy.

20. Jan 22, 2015 at 2:15 PM
    miniceptor86

miniceptor86 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    McGregor,IA
    Vehicle:
    07 Speedway Blue Prerunner Dbl cab
    TRD sport exhaust and cold air intake, nerf and bull bar, RideRide, ProEFX towing mirrors, BakFlip F1 trifold tonneau
    Yes I understand that is an option but you have to find the space for your device which I never optimal and then there's the redundancy factor. How about just reserving the space of the touch screen for your personal device. A few parts to provide a wide range of mounting options for tablets, smart phones or the lowly Garmin GPS with $80 lifetime updates even for my ancient And un breakable Zumo 550. Oh yea I know, we can charge another exorbitant fee for map updates, monthly connectivity fee and it ten years I have ancient hardware and software that is no longer supported so the person that needs or wants the latest in the connectivity world and can justify monthly data plans because they use then enough they have value has the "need" to buy a new vehicle just to upgrade the infotainment aspect of there perfectly serviceable vehicle. And of course there's resale value with outdated infotainment the young kid first time buyer might not be interested unless the price is low enough that he/she can add the newest and greatest and still be able to afford the purchase.

Products Discussed in

To Top