1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The **Official** MMA/self defense and fighting thread

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by KodiakToyTRD, May 22, 2011.

1. Feb 19, 2014 at 12:51 AM
    flatblack

flatblack Well-Known Member

Member:
    CDA
    Vehicle:
    95.5 Tacoma 3.4 Manual
    wish i would have pursued MMA

i always loved wrestling and bjj; never officially got into it - just rolled in the back yard with friends or would invite random college kids to wrestle me

now, i'm getting too old...
    also, i've had multiple operations on my nose to get it to the point i can actually use it to breath
    one good punch and that's all over again... don't know how i feel about that

2. Feb 19, 2014 at 12:57 AM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    also dislocated my shoulder getting arm-barred
    several times
    accidentally broke my friend's nose sparring
    my dad's eye socket broke boxing our instructor

when we got into chinese arts, everything hurt. I can't imagine the monks that train in this stuff for years

nothing makes you truly appreciate the Iron discipline like being blindfolded while someone hits you with a bo staff

3. Feb 19, 2014 at 11:11 PM
    flatblack

Member:
    CDA
    Vehicle:
    95.5 Tacoma 3.4 Manual
    TW no likey MMA?

FINE! :mad:

:p

4. Feb 19, 2014 at 11:23 PM
    flatblack

Member:
    CDA
    Vehicle:
    95.5 Tacoma 3.4 Manual
    same...
    well, that and time
    i'm also getting older;
    which doesn't mean i don't think i'd still thoroughly enjoy it in the gym...
    but, i'm past the age where it'd be wise for me to think i could compete

you into watching it?
    got some predictions for UFC 170, if so?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  5. Feb 20, 2014 at 12:20 AM
    tinker_troy

tinker_troy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T R O Y
    WY/SD
    Vehicle:
    #3, 2015 SR AC 4x4 V6 6 speed
    shackle brace, rear sway bar, 3 gen seats, Coupe Shifter, 3rd gen OR front springs + shocks, 17" TuRD PRO replica wheels
    too old? I started taking judo classes when I was 37 with a few guys at a local community center in Kansas. Then I moved here to the PNW and got involved with a REAL judo class and BJJ and yeah it is rough but I love it. Not just for the workout and the physical benefits but mostly the people.

(I'm not pitching ya sh*t flatblack, I understand your concerns with your nose and all, just wanted to put it out there)

as far as predictions, I gave up on making them a while ago when it comes to UFC. I just want to see a good fight. everyone that enters that ring is a bad@ss in my book.

I guess I should root for Rousey since she's a judoka but I wouldn't mind seeing her loose to a good opponent.

6. Feb 20, 2014 at 12:51 AM
    flatblack

Member:
    CDA
    Vehicle:
    95.5 Tacoma 3.4 Manual
    oh, I don't think i'm too old to get involved in MMA
    what I mean is that, by the time I'm actually am proficiently trained enough to think about competing, i'll be way past my physical prime
    which, still doesn't say I couldn't try... and be somewhat successful; but, it certainly wouldn't be as ideal as being trained-up and competing while I was young

I'd still be all about rolling and sparring in the gym, till i'm in a walker, though

Rousey VS. McMann:
    Rousey is so ridiculously impressive; I was blown away by the way she rag-dolled Tate for 3 rounds
    McMann, I've only seen her fight twice; and she's my favorite female MMA fighter, for sure

I'm pulling for McMann, and I think she certainly can beat Rousey, I'm just not familiar enough with her to actually come out and predict that she will
    If I had to lay money down... I'd probably put it on Rousey
    If McMann doesn't win... I don't think anyone in the division has anything for Rousey... they're gonna have to bring in Cyborg

p.s. I am slightly jealous of Sara McMann's arms

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top