1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The Official North Maine Woods Thread

Discussion in 'North East' started by aahyut, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Sep 14, 2021 at 8:45 AM
    aahyut

aahyut [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sweden, Maine
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR DCSB
    Good Morning All,

This thread will be used to share trip ideas, trip reports, photos, intel, photos, planned trips, and all things North Maine Woods. The North Maine Woods is an association of landowners who own the northwest corner of the state. The area offers thousands of miles of maintained logging roads, winter roads, and 2 tracks.

The information in this thread is not represented from North Maine Woods, Inc, you can always call them in Ashland to get current land-use rules.

Last edited: May 19, 2022
  2. Sep 14, 2021 at 8:53 AM
    BRUIN8124

BRUIN8124 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD 4X4 OFF ROAD DCSB
    Excellent! I will have to finally start uploading some pics now.

and an FYI the bridge on Baker Lake road is in VERY bad shape. There are signs saying "DANGER PASS AT OWN RISK" I decided not to test my luck on that one.

3. Sep 14, 2021 at 1:18 PM
    GuacIsExtra

GuacIsExtra Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Off-Road 6MT Cement DCSB
    Throwing this in since I was worried going in: the stock GY Wranglers were more than sufficient for traction and durability on the main roads. Maybe even the non-maintained routes but I consider my experience more luck than anything. I didn't suffer a puncture but still recommend carrying a full spare, compressor, and patch kit since you can't call for help.

Question for the locals: in the north woods, do you run regular psi or do you deflate to a lower pressure?

4. Sep 14, 2021 at 6:04 PM
    aahyut

Member:
    Sweden, Maine
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR DCSB
    Many “locals” don’t. They run highway PSI up there. I and many people who know better do. I run 20 psi. It makes such a difference.

5. Sep 15, 2021 at 4:01 AM
    BRUIN8124

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    I have been up there numerous times on the stock GY Wranglers with no trouble. I usually keep them at highway pressure on the main roads up there. If I know I am going in to something a bit more gnarly to get to some campsite, I will air down to 20 maybe 25 PSI. But yes, I know it has already been said ALWAYS CHECK YOUR SPARE! and at least bring a pump or compressor. I should look in to a plug kit. That really is a smart idea.

I cant wait til Pah'tridge season up there! I saw a bunch last weekend.

GuacIsExtra likes this.
  6. Sep 15, 2021 at 4:04 AM
    Brownie_Man

Brownie_Man Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2019 Off Road
    I run between 20 and 25PSI, more for comfort than any other reason. Absorbs the bumps a little better than the 35PSI I typically go with in my E loads. Also, the worst roads on tires are the new ones, or recently repaired ones. The shale-type gravel used eventually makes for a virtually indestructible surface. But until it packs down it's like thousands of knife blades!

jayuu, GuacIsExtra[QUOTED] and SR-71A like this.
  7. Sep 15, 2021 at 10:07 AM
    aahyut

Member:
    Sweden, Maine
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR DCSB
    Good call out on the new roads. Graders can leave shale facing with the direction of travel and those can slice tires. Spares are for sliced tires, plugs are for punctures.

jayuu and Brownie_Man[QUOTED] like this.
  8. Sep 15, 2021 at 11:42 AM
    BRUIN8124

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:

Heading to my favorite place in the world.

9. Sep 15, 2021 at 11:43 AM
    aahyut

Member:
    Sweden, Maine
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR DCSB
    Looks a little more "terrain" than the normal NMW roads.

10. Sep 15, 2021 at 12:20 PM
    SR-71A

SR-71A Define "Well-Known Member"

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB, TX Baja Edition. Barcelona Red
    255/85/R16 Falken Wildpeak MTs, Mobtown sliders, ARB bar, SOS front skid, Icon RXT leafs, extended & adjustable Kings, JBA UCAs, OVS wedge RTT, dual AGM batteries, Gen2 xrc9.5 winch, CB, GMRS, S1 ditch lights...
    That looks familiar.. Headed down to the river? With a well spring (or maybe two) on the side of the road?

11. Sep 15, 2021 at 1:16 PM
    aahyut

Member:
    Sweden, Maine
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR DCSB
    I don't have any pictures, but after my last NMW trip, I bashed my skidplate and hit the head of the bolt to the filter door. Had to cut a notch in the head for a large flathead to be able to back the bolt out.

12. Sep 19, 2021 at 6:31 PM
    kylefav21

kylefav21 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB MGM 6-Speed
    I'll be heading up for the first time next week. Already have a good itinerary planned, but could always use some suggestions on things to see, campsites to stay at etc...

13. Sep 20, 2021 at 5:08 AM
    aahyut

Member:
    Sweden, Maine
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR DCSB
    Expect it to be a little busier at the end of the week with Moose season opening for many of the zones the next week.

14. Sep 21, 2021 at 8:34 AM
    aahyut

Member:
    Sweden, Maine
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR DCSB
    Keep an eye out for these announcements on their facebook page and their website.

15. May 11, 2022 at 8:52 AM
    BRUIN8124

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    EDIT: I got through and was able to make my reservation through the Jo-Mary checkpoint. I guess I am just an impatient bastard haha... All is good and wait to get back in the woods!

I have been trying all morning to make a camping reservation in the KI/Jo Mary area. Supposedly they opened today for reservations. Anyone able to get through?

Last edited: May 12, 2022
  16. May 18, 2022 at 6:59 PM
    Kindadinosaur

Kindadinosaur Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD OR Quicksand
    Hi all, are out-of-staters frowned upon in NMW or in this thread?
    Maine is my absolute favorite place, I try to make a trip at least once a year. I'm hoping to go sometime this summer, this would be my first time going with my truck and I want to on a wheeling/camping trip. Is there any advice or links anyone would care to share of where to start? Are trails easily found or are they all secrets like where I'm from?

17. May 18, 2022 at 8:24 PM
    GuacIsExtra

GuacIsExtra Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Off-Road 6MT Cement DCSB
    Greetings from Florida! I don't think anyone minds as long as you're respectful on the trails. Off the top of my head, here's a non-exhaustive and possibly overly cautious list of recommendations:

Your access to the NMW is at the pleasure of the logging companies that operate and maintain the roads.
    • Sign in at one of the access stations. Many are automated so I recommend searching beforehand for a manned post so you can chat up the front desk for recommendations and cautions. Get the map they offer.
    • If you see a logging truck, yield the best you can. They won't stop.
    • Carry a radio and know how to operate it. Each road has a channel/frequency posted on signs. You can announce your presence to the dispatch and listen in for trucks headed your way.
    Beyond that, a lot of general off-grid safety rules apply here. Cell service is unavailable in most of the NMW.
    • Download an offline map on your app of choice. I used Google Maps and found it to be mostly accurate but I never trusted it.
    • Highly recommend getting a copy of the Maine Atlas & Gazetteer (Delorme Atlas & Gazetteer).
    • Some of the access stations are already beyond cell service range. Make a plan beforehand with your intended route and exit time.
    • Share this plan with an emergency contact. Instruct them to call emergency services if you don't check in with them by X time or Y date.
    • Carry an excess of food, water, sanitary goods, and Rx meds. A generic first aid kit is recommended.
    • Have a charging system for your electronics sorted. A cigarette lighter USB plug may be sufficient, you may need a power bank or carry a jump pack depending on your needs.
    • Have your shelter, sleep system, and cook system sorted.
    • Carry trash bags, toilet paper, and a backpacker's trowel. Follow LNT's flowchart.
    • There are big animals in those woods. Lock up your smelly stuff at night away from where you sleep. Carry your deterrent of choice and know how to use it.
    • The two-legged critters are mostly nice but be on the lookout for mean or shifty ones. Carry your deterrent of choice and know how to use it.
    • Carry extra gas.
    • Carry extra gas.
    • Carry extra gas.
    The main arteries in the NMW are graded with sharp gravel. Depending on the time of year, the gravel may not be compacted by logging traffic yet. It is notorious for puncturing or slashing tires.
    • Have a spare tire and ensure it is inflated beforehand.
    • Have the tools to swap a tire. Know how to use them.
    • Carry a tire repair kit and a sidewall repair kit. Know how to use them.
    • Ideally you should have a tire deflator and air compressor.
    • Ideally you should have a skid plate. You won't be bashing rocks on the main roads but you will be slinging gravel bits into your undercarriage. OEM skid plates are sufficient.
    As far as points of interest go, I'd search google and TW for what the locals recommend. Maybe drop a post in the Maine General thread asking for advice.

I personally went to the Ghost Trains and Churchill Dam with some lollygagging thrown in. If you plan a route, the access station attendant can help you pick a campground. I got a fantastic site just off my planned route thanks to the attendant. If you have time just outside the NMW, I highly recommend the Ice Caves and Katahdin Air Services.

Enjoy your trip!

18. May 18, 2022 at 8:26 PM
    Kindadinosaur

Kindadinosaur Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD OR Quicksand
    This is awesome! Thank you so much for all this info. You just raised my excitement level by 100

Two legged critters took me a while haha

GuacIsExtra[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. May 18, 2022 at 8:43 PM
    eating raoul

eating raoul I miss lockout hubs!

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD 4x4.... and a 1987 4x4 pickup
    None on the 2018, 35 years of hard wear on the 1987
    I grew up in Maine, from about 3rd grade through graduating from high school. Lived in Easton, Ashland, Orono, and at our summer camp near Caratunk. Loved the woods, sure don't miss the blackflies!

I've got nothing useful to contribute to the thread, but I sure enjoyed Bruin's picture!

GarlicFarts, BRUIN8124 and SR-71A like this.
  20. May 19, 2022 at 5:47 AM
    ACEkraut

ACEkraut Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Topsham, Maine
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD Off Road
    Brilliant! Ask a mod to pin this post in the first couple of posts of the thread. Everyone should read it. Or maybe the OP can add it to their first post. Or maybe even start another thread titled "What to know before Exploring the Backwoods of Maine".

AllTacosFloat likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top