1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The "Official" Runners thread...

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by The Driver, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Apr 17, 2012 at 3:45 PM
    The Driver

The Driver [OP] Trail Runner/Barefoot Beach Runner/Snow Skier

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Lakewood (Green Mountain), CO.
    Vehicle:
    '02 Extra cab 4X4 TRD SR5 3.4
    Aftermarket tranny cooler, 5100 Series Bilsteins, ToyTec Bilstein front coilovers, SPC UCA's, Alcan leafs, Class 3 Hitch, Tundra Front Brakes,
    Ha! I good friend of mine has a brother who owns a townhome @ Kennesaw's foothill! Have run over there, BEAUTIFUL place!

As for the trail shoes, I used to run trail with "padded" shoes. No more, it was recommended to me by our group's fastest runner to use "track shoes", spikeless of course. Have not rolled my ankle since, and the bottom of feet has become stronger. Best part, got them for $25!

2. Apr 17, 2012 at 4:12 PM
    Richard Cranium

Richard Cranium The lice...they hate the sugar

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    2013 Raven FR-S
    Forever sideways and smiling :D
    Complete failure...was left leg was roached just before the 1.5mi mark. Thought I could push through, but had to turn around on the next block over. :( Wind out of the South killed me coming back too :mad:

Conclusion - 5 day weekend is too long

3. Apr 17, 2012 at 7:54 PM
    The Driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Vehicle:
    Aftermarket tranny cooler, 5100 Series Bilsteins, ToyTec Bilstein front coilovers, SPC UCA's, Alcan leafs, Class 3 Hitch, Tundra Front Brakes,
    Take a day or two off! I did it two or three weeks ago!

I did 4.5 trail miles in 48:48 with the fast crew, again. They did 6.2, but I was happy with my time and distance.

4. Apr 18, 2012 at 4:29 PM
    Richard Cranium

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    2013 Raven FR-S
  5. Apr 18, 2012 at 4:42 PM
    The Driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Vehicle:
    I'm taking the day off today. Tomorrow Heather and I are going to do 6 miles in sub 8:30 splits, or at least die while trying...

6. Apr 19, 2012 at 7:42 PM
    The Driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Vehicle:
    Heather and I joined with the fast crew. It was going to be a nice 6 miler with 8:10-8:30 splits.

Well the group leader decided to change it up a little, we started through the neighborhood before (meaning hills) before hitting the riverwalk. Well Heather handed the first three miles like a trooper, but the hills proved to be too much for her. We did ended up with 8 miles, but at lame pace of 9:35. It's all good, I'll lay the law on Sat! :cool:

7. Apr 19, 2012 at 7:57 PM
    The Driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Vehicle:
    Unless you time it, it didn't happen...

8. Apr 19, 2012 at 7:57 PM
    Richard Cranium

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    2013 Raven FR-S
  9. Apr 19, 2012 at 9:41 PM
    especk

especk Nothin' Special

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Redding, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Reg Cab 4x4
    3" OME lift with 885 coils on nitrocharger 90000 shocks with 5mm trim packer on driver's side, TC UCAs, Rear OME Dakar leafs with nitrocharger shocks, All-pro U-bolt flip kit and 3* Toytec shims, extended rear brakelines, 16" Raceline Rockcrusher 887 wheels with 3.6" backspacking, BFG KM2 305/70/16 tires, Doug Thorley header, Doug Thorley catback exhaust, Volant CAI with ram air, Weathertech floor mats, Kicker 12" sub, Kenwood 500W RMS amp, Relentless Fab front and rear bumpers, 4.88 gears, custom flatbed with swing out tire carrier
    update: (for my dad's boston marathon) - i forgot his exact time but it was about 3:30 (30 mins longer than he wanted). It was due to the "extreme" heat. Apparently the majority of runners suffered bc of the high temp (whatever it was). He told stories of people needing ice baths, IV fluids, etc. Some runners even went back hours later once it cooled down to the point where they had to stop just so they could complete the whole 26 miles - talk about dedication. My pops just took it easy - didnt want to suffer heat stroke or anything like that - good choice IMO. I still gave him shit about it because he always talks and brags like he is the best runner in the world haha

10. Apr 21, 2012 at 8:41 AM
    The Driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Vehicle:
    Ran again with the fast crew, sans Heather, as she was @ work.

I thought we were doing 6 miles, but they agreed on 8...

Anyway, 1:07:26 later I we were done! That's 8:25 splits!!! :yay:

Never gone that fast for that kind of distance before! To be fair; it was dry, no breeze and 50-60 degrees which makes it VERY easy to run fast!

11. Apr 21, 2012 at 8:49 AM
    The Driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Vehicle:
    No running on concrete EVER. Change your running shoes every 4-5 months. Try to buy two pairs at a time, if you can afford it; then replace every 6-7 months.

Run on soft surfaces (grass, tracks) fairly often. Start slow on grass, and run as often as you can to avoid twisting your ankle and make them stronger.

Once you have chin splits, ICE, ICE and ICE on them. Start walking and biking and you need to stop running. Take an aspiring two-three times a day. If you are me, (I'm against aspirins or medication, PERIOD) buy bromelain at the local health food store and take a cap with every meal. Also eat fresh pineapples and papaya. They both have bromelain. Bromelain is a natural anti-inflammatory.

12. Apr 21, 2012 at 4:58 PM
    The Driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Vehicle:
    Mac, you really need to take at least one week off. Ice it and let the inflammation fix itself out. U could make it worse, by not taking a break.

Don't forget to elevate your legs above your heart, every now and then...

13. Apr 22, 2012 at 1:52 PM
    The Driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Vehicle:
    I "ran" with Heather earlier this morning. 4.5 miles, 44:32. That's almost 9.53 min splits. I was SORE (still am) from yesterday and she really shouldn't been running as she's having a bit of a sinuses infection.

Still good times!

14. Apr 22, 2012 at 2:15 PM
    big sky

big sky Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    Hi- I started running about 6 months ago, trail running to be specific- running on roads/tracks held little appeal to me (I seem to be prone to shine splints as well). I dreaded it at first, but soon I was actually looking forward to run days :)

anywho, got together with some mates recently for a Rim2Rim2Rim run in the Grand Canyon- I had already set a less lofty goal as my training leading up to the run had several setbacks and I wasn't getting in as long of runs as I needed. My goal was to get to Roaring Springs and back- 33 miles w/ ~ 14,000' of elevation gain/loss. I'm happy to say I made it back in one piece (as did everyone else).

Conditions were a little hostile, we started out at 5:00 AM w/ 28 F and a raging snow storm, a couple of miles off the South Rim the snow let up. The weather in the canyon was near perfect for running though, highs into the 50's w/ intermittent light showers (those that made it to the North Rim hit snow again w/ close to 8" accumulating) When I made it back to within a couple of miles of the South Rim it started into a full blizzard again.

few pics

just below Cedar Ridge

[​IMG]

Black Bridge over the Colorado

[​IMG]

view up Bright Angel Ck towards the North Rim

[​IMG]

coming back down looking at the South Rim in the distance

[​IMG]

back up the South Rim at Panorama Point (looking back towards the North)

[​IMG]

11 hours and 5 minutes later- nauseated, exhausted, mildly hypothermic and plumb tickled :)

[​IMG]

15. Apr 22, 2012 at 9:10 PM
    The Driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Vehicle:
    HOLY SHIT IS RIGHT! I've hiked that area, I can't Imagine running on it!!!

Big Sky you get the award for the baddest race pics posted in this thread!

16. Apr 23, 2012 at 6:09 AM
    big sky

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    Montana has some great places to run, but I sure wouldn't mind having the Grand Canyon in my backyard :D

^ my guess is you could handle 5k if your currently running half that now w/o much effort

there is one sure way to find out :)

17. Apr 23, 2012 at 7:08 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    F'ing HARDCORE! Congrats on a huge accomplishment!!!

18. Apr 23, 2012 at 11:51 AM
    big sky

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    thanks :), but just to be clear my run was R2RoaringSprings2R (33 miles), not the full 42 miles- we did have two in our group (these guys are big time 50/100 mile ultra runners) finish the full r2r2r in 11 hours flat!!!!!!! The others that finished the entire route were in the 13-16 hour range- the guys in the 16 hour range had us a little nervous as the storm continued throughout the evening and they didn't show up until after 9:00 PM ~ 1.5 hours after dark, they were tired and hypothermic, but made a good recovery

I do have to add when everyone was out, we all went for pizza at one of the lodges- what a sight to behold- we were bundled in clothing, some with teeth chattering, shuffling along- each step hurting and if not shuffling doing our best tin man imitation :D

I saw quite a few tourists staring at us, having to wondering why were such a sorry lot

19. Apr 23, 2012 at 8:04 PM
    The Driver

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Vehicle:
    7 flat miles @ the Arkansas River Park. 1:01:44 and I'm sore like HADES!

Seriously debating if I'll run @ Turkey Mountain tomorrow, even though I was aiming for just 4 SLOW miles.

Amber was a freacking trooper, stayed with me the entire time, and in fact pushed me in the last mile!

20. Apr 24, 2012 at 7:18 PM
    Richard Cranium

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Omaha, NE
    Vehicle:
    2013 Raven FR-S

Products Discussed in

To Top