1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The Official Unofficial Super Pacific X1 Camper Thread

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by Synergy001, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Aug 31, 2020 at 2:08 PM
    Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Prepare To Attack

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
  2. Aug 31, 2020 at 5:59 PM
    mac_2_nite

mac_2_nite Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mac
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB Sport 4x4
    Side access is big for me too, as the shell/canopy concept is part of my every-day activities. My Flippac had zero side access, and I learned how much I really needed it with the GFC. The side bars on the GFC were a real pain sometimes, as I couldn’t get some things in/out in the triangle openings. The SuperPacific looks to have great access, with solid hinges and a good sealing setup.

I really miss the space of the Flippac with its front bed area and entire standing bed room, but man that thing was hard to flip in the wind or rain. I don’t miss that at all.

Wedge all the way for me now, so easy to deploy and put away.

ready6delta and Coop68[QUOTED] like this.
  3. Aug 31, 2020 at 6:27 PM
    JasonLee

JasonLee Hello? I'm a truck.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Q322+3C Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD OffRoad
    TRD Supercharger and more.
    I first had a commercial ARE DCU shell on my truck for the first several years. It had two full side doors and the full rear door. Side access was nice.

The Flippac I had was solid sides and I don't miss the Flippac at all. The stress of it breaking in one of the many known ways, plus the outdated boat construction with corrugated cardboard/wood/mild steel that dissolves/rots/rusts… Let alone the issues of plastic bimini hardware and thin aluminum tubing... I had no confidence the Flippac would handle a wind storm in Death Valley or overnight snow accumulation in the wintertime.

Moving on, I now have a Vagabond Drifter with no side access and it's not really an issue. It would be nice, but it's way down on the list of priorities for the minimal "build-out".
    I have found that while having the entire bed open (all the time) with the Flippac is really solved by packing well and maybe having a little countertop/bench seat buildout on the truck bed and just sliding the bed platform forward. I won't ever be cooking or needing the entire bed if someone is asleep up top - especially since there is standing room with the Drifter when the bed is fully set up (unlike the GFC and possibly this Super Pacific one)

mac_2_nite likes this.
  4. Aug 31, 2020 at 9:48 PM
    mac_2_nite

Member:
    First Name:
    Mac
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB Sport 4x4
    100% agree and a lot of the same exact reasons I began looking for a better option. The Flippac opened a lot of doors for me, spent a lot of time with it in the short year that I had it. But alas, there were better options.

Packing well solves a ton of problems. While this Super Pacific has the option to have a person stand while the other still sleeps comfortably, that may not be everyone’s priority. I know that it’s as much of a need for me as side access. When my wife has to use the loo in the middle of the night, I don’t have to get up and move a bunch of stuff around. Drifter seems to have the same idea.

Not that my preggo wife will be climbing into a truck camper, but it’s still nice to have that ability.

No change on when the Super Pacific is coming out to us regular folk, I don’t think I made the top 20 so it may be some time

5. Sep 1, 2020 at 12:29 PM
    tacomavan

tacomavan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    i visited their shop in mid august, met Spencer, and he was nice enough to give me a mini-tour of the product. I was impressed with how thought-out it was and the build quality. Especially considering it was their pilot product.

love, love, love the side windoors. I have a leer DCC with the same. It makes packing, loading/unloading so effortless. Whether those are worth it or not i think depends how you use the truck. I park mine in my garage and use my right-side windoor to load/unload as much as i do the back. But i also have a drawer system i built so it creates a good height on the truck bed for that. It also means i dont need to open my garage door to access the bed

Huge amounts of space inside when the tent is opened (of course keep in mind i have a hard top leer canopy haha)

the super pacific was about 29" + change from rail to top when closed on the 3rd gen it was mounted on (was on aftermarket rails), so very garage friendly for those of us with 7' tall garage doors and minimal lift.

built in wire runs and switch panel. heavy duty tent canvas. very well thought out for the diy market

i have no affiliation with them, just a guy who randomly emailed them one day and he invited me out to the shop to check it out on a saturday no less.

now to convince the wife! :)

ready6delta and mac_2_nite like this.
  6. Sep 2, 2020 at 6:28 PM
    99ranged

99ranged Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern CA
    Vehicle:
    '19 TRD OR
    Thanks for pointing that out. It looks like it would be difficult to use.

7. Sep 3, 2020 at 9:08 AM
    Henry2435

Henry2435 Active Member

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    '18 MGM DCLB TRD OR
    Stock
    I asked about this when I gave them a call, sounds like it operates similar to most RTTs in that there are dual zippers, one set for the mesh and the other for the canvas.

So you'll be able to operate both from inside the tent but yes, mesh needs to be open to do so. I've used tents w/ either way and personally prefer the mesh on the outside. You can get some airflow w/o letting mosquitoes in. *edit: I'm guessing they have it the other way to better manage precipitation being located in the PNW... Just a guess.

I also could have sworn I read somewhere that the canopy doors can be opened from the inside which is sweet.

ready6delta and nudavinci64 like this.
  8. Sep 3, 2020 at 9:23 AM
    99ranged

99ranged Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern CA
    Vehicle:
    '19 TRD OR
    upload_2020-9-3_9-21-27.jpg

Looks like you’re right about the doors opening from the inside. Awesome!

mac_2_nite likes this.
  9. Sep 3, 2020 at 10:30 AM
    nudavinci64

nudavinci64 Robert @ Holy Horsepower

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    San Mateo/Cayucos, CA
    Vehicle:
    13 S/C TRD OffRoad 4x4
    Boosted Money Pit....
    This is by far my own feedback I took from these guys and no affiliation and much of this is on the website as well.

I had a long chat with Spencer yesterday. all windows/doors open from the inside and outside. All have locks. The only one that does not is the tent which you can add a lock if needed. Their background comes from 20 years of manufactoring, aerospace (hence using rivits and aluminum). The tent design is handled by one of them and works for Nike in textile etc. Living in the PNW they have put a lot of thought into the windows seals. Some of the reason why they only have fixed windows as they have not found one they are confident will not have leaks.

The company they partner with on the tent if I recall builds high end sails for boats etc. On the note of hinge failures they are fabricating their own hinges and parts which is up their ally in background.

They are designing it to yours to customize how you want. It comes with little upgrades but they do have a bunch options they are planning over the next year.

They chose the megamat for sleeping based on feedback they saw in forums and lack of satisfaction with regular RTT bed mats if anyone was wondering about why they went that route.

They have not integrated a fan into the tent as some may wonder (he said every other person asks about it) but mainly as the design in the tent is designed to allow airflow and keep out water etc.

Talked about all aspects of it but in general it was a great chat. The weight which they did not have set is estimated around 290ish for a tacoma which is only 15lbs more than the GFC if weight is a big factor (for me it is as my truck tips 7k lbs currently).

They are also making plans to have shorter run times 6-8 weeks for delivery. They moved into a new facility yesterday based on the demand they have received so far. They currently can make 1 a day or 20-25 a month based on his projections. I feel pretty confident they will do decent that that since manufactoring is what their background is and experience in design, mechanical engineering, textile, etc.

You can checkout @roaminglost on IG who has the first production model on a RAM. They have a dialed in Tacoma version.

To put it short me and @frenchee are slapping down deposits and planning a trip to Oregon late October/November if timelines stay on track (that also is a delayed timeline in Spencers eyes).

The last thing is the founders edition pricing ends on the 8th so you will save $600 or so.

10. Sep 3, 2020 at 12:10 PM
    nudavinci64

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    San Mateo/Cayucos, CA
    Vehicle:
    13 S/C TRD OffRoad 4x4
    Boosted Money Pit....
    Based on my chat you will have access via UTE doors which are very large, the rear, inside up to the tent and if you decide to add a ladder you can access the tent up top from the sides but is designed to do it from the bed. Plenty of access points. The only one thats not as common is the shell to cab window as they noted they have not found one they feel is good enough and wont leak.

11. Sep 3, 2020 at 2:27 PM
    frenchee

frenchee Favorite Member

Member:
    Oceanside CA Area
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma TRD Double Cab 4x4
    Converted to 4WD DD VW MK6 TDI
    That is a bit of a bummer. I sometimes pass my fishing poles from the cab through the shell window.
    I'm a bit surprised by the statement though since slidinging windows aren't a new thing and I'm sure RV's camper shells etc have ones that work well in rain.

Still excited to purchase one of these but that feels like something doable.
    I'm in love with the sheel metal design on the interior and that the doors fully open up for access. I much prefer that over glass, its very utilitarian and robust.

12. Sep 3, 2020 at 4:52 PM
    nudavinci64

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    San Mateo/Cayucos, CA
    Vehicle:
    13 S/C TRD OffRoad 4x4
    Boosted Money Pit....
    Yah I’m a big fan and use my sliding window of my current shell and rear cab. Also nice that my current comes out. never had any issue with leaks but I can see that as being a weak point. you will just need to make a side carrier to carry your poles. No more shoving through the cab.

13. Sep 3, 2020 at 8:34 PM
    mac_2_nite

Member:
    First Name:
    Mac
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB Sport 4x4
    I have a double cab and even my 8' rods will still fit crammed in. When I had the Flippac, I used the pass through window a couple times but just ended up keeping them in the cab.

When I got the GFC, I attempted to use Quick Fists on the track system. Worked just ok, as long as I had a rod sock and reel cover. The GFC-specific hardware was expensive and didn't work all that great for me. I am really excited for the ease of track hardware capabilities of the Super Pacific!

14. Sep 3, 2020 at 9:17 PM
    hoarder23

hoarder23 Truck fell over

Member:
    First Name:
    Shay
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    15 Pyrite Mica DCSB Sport
    Scratches
    This seems like a great option for someone that wants the security of an aluminum cap. For me, the GFC still fits my use case the best but I like that more companies are bringing innovation to the space.

The mattress is definitely my biggest complaint about the GFC, I have a self inflating pad I drag up there that can remain if I'm very careful about closing the tent. An air mattress as the primary sounds much better but I wonder how it works with the removable panels.

I'll keep paying attention, and hopefully there will be compatibility between platforms so even more accessories become available.

nudavinci64 and frenchee like this.
  15. Sep 4, 2020 at 12:00 AM
    frenchee

frenchee Favorite Member

Member:
    Oceanside CA Area
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma TRD Double Cab 4x4
    Converted to 4WD DD VW MK6 TDI
    Nice. My rods r 9 to 10 feet but I don’t feel comfortable fishing em through cus I’ve broken a few. I use a magnetic rod holder on my hood and roof. Works OK but I don’t do long distance and it can get caught up on a branch. I’d like to get the rod vault but too much $

Hopefully I’ll be rocking one of these campers soon. Much better than GFC imo and better than Vagabond for several reasons.

16. Sep 6, 2020 at 9:59 PM
    nudavinci64

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    San Mateo/Cayucos, CA
    Vehicle:
    13 S/C TRD OffRoad 4x4
    Boosted Money Pit....
    We can make our own rod vaults easy peasy.

mac_2_nite likes this.
  17. Sep 7, 2020 at 5:20 AM
    mac_2_nite

Member:
    First Name:
    Mac
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB Sport 4x4
    Ah, so probably fly rods I’m guessing? I just take mine down in half, but being able to keep it whole between spots would be nice.

I’ve seen similar DIY designs with an ammo can as the reel end and pvc/abs as the tube. Can’t be all that difficult to fashion one up and with Super Pacific’s track system that utilizes already manufactured hardware, easier to mount it up there

18. Sep 7, 2020 at 10:49 AM
    nudavinci64

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    San Mateo/Cayucos, CA
    Vehicle:
    13 S/C TRD OffRoad 4x4
    Boosted Money Pit....
    Yah that or you could mount it to the side of the base of the tent I’m thinking if their is a usable t track. Plumbing companies make lockable caps. Rhino rack does too.

19. Sep 8, 2020 at 12:04 PM
    Waterfield

Waterfield Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Parker
    Manteca, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB Tacoma TRD OR - QUICKSAND YO
    Off-Grid Engineering Dual Battery System with REDARC DC-DC Controller and Blue Sea Fuse Block Fox 2.0 Suspension Dash Mounted HAM - Yaesu FTM-400XDR. Hood hinge mounted Antenna. Cali-Raised OR Ditch Lights in Amber Homemade Bed Drawer System Coming soon - Super Pacific Wedge Camper!
    I bit the bullet and jumped on this one. Hopefully mid/late October install will work out, I can bail on work for a week and make the trek North and test it out on the way back. Wife is excited too...all I had to do was take her backpacking again and remind her why she wants me to buy this thing. Booyah!

20. Sep 8, 2020 at 1:59 PM
    Coop68

Coop68 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Coop
    Erie/Dacono, CO
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR Magnetic Gray
    Method double standards 16" COOPER S/T MAXX 285/75/16 DEI clifford 2-way remote start with smart-start. Lift Kings with Dakar TC UCA extended brake lines Keyless POP-N-Lock tailgate lock,relentless tailgate reinforcement, Weather Tech Mats all around, pelfreybilt front bumper steel with middle hoop warn VR-8000s switch Pro lights coming soon see build thread
    I am waiting for him to message me back so i can jump in.

Products Discussed in

To Top