1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The Overlanding Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by Tactical_Panda, Aug 16, 2020.

1. Aug 17, 2020 at 7:08 PM
    Calamity_taco

Calamity_taco your friendly neighborhood weeb :3

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    I have no idea. send help!
    Vehicle:
    2015 sr5 access cab, 98 civic Hx ej7,03 klx400
    just a couple of things tbh
    lock n roll says... please tell me you swapped it to the proper orientation

Casper66 likes this.
  2. Aug 17, 2020 at 7:12 PM
    Tactical_Panda

Tactical_Panda [OP] Armchair Anarchist

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma Double Cab, Off-Road Edition
    AJT Designs Shifter AJT Designs Battery Hold-Down ARB Awning 2500x2500 ARB Twin Compressor w/ Slee Offroad Mounting Bracket Avid Brush Bar Avid Step Bars Black Rock Wheels Series 997 Type 8 Circuit Breaker/Relay Panel Custom TRD Decals Bulletproof Fabricating Raptor Grill Bulletproof Fabricating Cooling Panel Bulletproof Fabricating Tow Hook Duluth Trading Company Dog Hammock Exhaust Breather Mod eBay Special 3-Gallon Air Tank Expedition Essentials TPAM EZ Down tailgate damper Flagpole Mounts, Dual Foglight Mod Front Camera Rear Camera; full time available General Grabber tires Goat Armor Hella Supertone Horns Iggy Switch Panel Icon Dynamics Stage 3 Suspension Katskin Leather Interior KickAss camp shower LED Bed Lights LED Interior Lights Midland MXT275 GMRS Two-Way Radio OEM Audio Plus Reference 500 audio upgrade Plano Cases. 42" roof mounted, X2 Pop-N-Lock Tailgate Handle Prinsu Cab Rack Prinsu-like Shell Rack Redline Tuning Hood Struts Rigid Industries 40" Light Bar Rigid Industries Ditch Lights Rigid Industries Spotlights Toyota Bed Step UltraGauge EM Plus v1.4 Vixen Air Horns, Four-Trumpet Whole bunch of decals worth about 5HP each Yakima Road Shower, 10-gal
    I did. Thanks to @Casper66 for pointing out the error of my ways. But in my defense, the damn thing didn't come with instructions.

3. Aug 17, 2020 at 7:17 PM
    m603holden

m603holden @Koditten Pirate Radio member #063

Member:
    First Name:
    Marteeen
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma DCSB OR MT
    Lots of sail boat fuel
    I don't think too many people are associating over landing with trail blazing. Most just use the term for what regular outdoorsman do on long trips. Cruise paths that have been around for a long time that are slightly more challenging to pass for a regular vehicle.

You can still easily get a couple of hundred miles away from civilization and be on your own while riding trails.

I still think it's just a brilliantly marketed term for camping haha. But I've got no issue with it.

Grindstone and Casper66 like this.
  4. Aug 17, 2020 at 7:19 PM
    Casper66

Casper66 grumpy ass

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Culpeper, Va.
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCSB TRD Sport 4wd super white (sold) '13 access cab SR5 4wd
    piddly stuff
    no it doesn't. Half this shit we get either has none or piss poor instructions. I figured it out just researching the hook ups on different sites and i've welded a couple of these on. The hitch orientation was self explanatory as you would never have the weight of the tongue held solely by the safty tabs. We took ours to the top of flag Pole Knob when I got to the top the safty clip for the pin that holds the safety tabs in place was gone and the pin was half out. If it would have been hooked up the way you originally had it we would have come unhooked. As @Calamity_taco also has a LnR I suggest to both of you to contact LnR and get extra clips as the ones they use are fnky and I couldn
    t source them locally

Calamity_taco likes this.
  5. Aug 17, 2020 at 7:23 PM
    Casper66

Casper66 grumpy ass

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Culpeper, Va.
    Vehicle:
    piddly stuff
    That summed it up nicely Sir. We just go camping. Sometimes it's down trails but mostly State and National parks.

6. Aug 17, 2020 at 7:27 PM
    m603holden

Member:
    First Name:
    Marteeen
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma DCSB OR MT
    Lots of sail boat fuel
    Absolutely.

It's not even that I dislike the term Overland at the core. It's that I feel it's a term which was spun to market a lifestyle towards people and ultimately try to take advantage of them.

To me a company that markets Overland stuff is about the same as a group in Florida who asks you while you're in vacation "Would be interested I. SeaWorld tickets and have you ever looked into time shares sir?"

7. Aug 17, 2020 at 7:28 PM
    Tactical_Panda

Tactical_Panda [OP] Armchair Anarchist

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma Double Cab, Off-Road Edition
    AJT Designs Shifter AJT Designs Battery Hold-Down ARB Awning 2500x2500 ARB Twin Compressor w/ Slee Offroad Mounting Bracket Avid Brush Bar Avid Step Bars Black Rock Wheels Series 997 Type 8 Circuit Breaker/Relay Panel Custom TRD Decals Bulletproof Fabricating Raptor Grill Bulletproof Fabricating Cooling Panel Bulletproof Fabricating Tow Hook Duluth Trading Company Dog Hammock Exhaust Breather Mod eBay Special 3-Gallon Air Tank Expedition Essentials TPAM EZ Down tailgate damper Flagpole Mounts, Dual Foglight Mod Front Camera Rear Camera; full time available General Grabber tires Goat Armor Hella Supertone Horns Iggy Switch Panel Icon Dynamics Stage 3 Suspension Katskin Leather Interior KickAss camp shower LED Bed Lights LED Interior Lights Midland MXT275 GMRS Two-Way Radio OEM Audio Plus Reference 500 audio upgrade Plano Cases. 42" roof mounted, X2 Pop-N-Lock Tailgate Handle Prinsu Cab Rack Prinsu-like Shell Rack Redline Tuning Hood Struts Rigid Industries 40" Light Bar Rigid Industries Ditch Lights Rigid Industries Spotlights Toyota Bed Step UltraGauge EM Plus v1.4 Vixen Air Horns, Four-Trumpet Whole bunch of decals worth about 5HP each Yakima Road Shower, 10-gal
    I'm already using a better clip.

Casper66[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Aug 17, 2020 at 7:37 PM
    Casper66

Casper66 grumpy ass

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Culpeper, Va.
    Vehicle:
    piddly stuff
    I agree 100%. We don't label what we do we just go and enjoy ourselves. We were having a "overland" discussion on here last week and somebody asked about what we camp in? I posted a couple of pics and got a negative response and how I was just going for IG points. I have never been on IG we just do what makes us happy and I am not particularly concerned with what others think about it. The flip side to your outlook on the marketing, which I agree with. if it gets people outdoors and they learn how to respect the outdoors I would think that would be a positive.

m603holden[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Aug 17, 2020 at 7:39 PM
    Casper66

Casper66 grumpy ass

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Culpeper, Va.
    Vehicle:
    piddly stuff
    What did you find to put in there other than the spring clip

10. Aug 17, 2020 at 7:43 PM
    m603holden

Member:
    First Name:
    Marteeen
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma DCSB OR MT
    Lots of sail boat fuel
    It might just be a regional thing, but it's not seeming like the case, at least out here.

A lot of folks who are new get out into the wood and just leave a mess or upset land owner and get trails shut down. It's a shame.
    I'm all for folks getting out doors. We actually have an Issue this year with covid going on which is you can't find kayaks. They're all sold. Everyone is doing stuff outside. I believe peeling folks away from technology and sitting around all the time and getting them into the woods makes for better character. So I'm all for that.

Sucks about the judgement on your rig. It shouldn't matter if it's a tent, rtt, trailer, bed camper, RV with the family. Traveling is traveling.

I ran a rtt tent because I had an 8 hr drive north at 5pm on Fridays after laying in ditches and pipe welding all day. Flipping the rtt was super easy and made camping more enjoyable.

Now I weld from a chair and my time is freed up a bit and I went back to a tent.

Both instance have a bottom line of a means to get I to the woods and that's all that matter.

Sorry for the typos. Fat fingers and small keyboard.

11. Aug 17, 2020 at 7:51 PM
    Casper66

Casper66 grumpy ass

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Culpeper, Va.
    Vehicle:
    piddly stuff
    LOL I understand the fat finger thing. :hattip:Mr. Fellow Welder. Your points on the outdoor abuse is well said. We were Girl Scout leaders for many years and have always taught respect for the environment and our use of the outdoors is a privilege. Alot of folks don't get it or sadly just don't care. We have to appreciate what we have. Leave it better than you found it!

12. Aug 17, 2020 at 7:56 PM
    Calamity_taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Vehicle:
    ya its true they dont come with instructions but when buying it does say truck and trailer side so thats how i figured it out and ya i would say i need more clips but i have 3 of these damn things now so i got a few extra:anonymous:

m603holden and Casper66[QUOTED] like this.
  13. Aug 17, 2020 at 7:58 PM
    m603holden

Member:
    First Name:
    Marteeen
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma DCSB OR MT
    Lots of sail boat fuel
    I guess I'll throw up an Overland pics

IMG_20181217_142556_298.jpg IMG_20181215_121614.jpg DJI_0664.jpg

14. Aug 17, 2020 at 8:03 PM
    Casper66

Casper66 grumpy ass

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Culpeper, Va.
    Vehicle:
    piddly stuff
    Cool pics

15. Aug 17, 2020 at 8:04 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
  16. Aug 17, 2020 at 8:07 PM
    Casper66

Casper66 grumpy ass

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Culpeper, Va.
    Vehicle:
    piddly stuff
  17. Aug 17, 2020 at 8:23 PM
    JEEPNIK

JEEPNIK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Voodoo Blue TRD Sport
    Yea, we used to call it boondocking. I guess that’s to redneck for kids today.

Casper66 and Dirtwolf6 like this.
  18. Aug 17, 2020 at 8:25 PM
    norsea

norsea Well-Known Member

Member:
    OK, I'll bite.

The term "overlanding" is indeed not unique to the US of A. I think y'all need to dig a bit deeper to understand the origins of all things associated with travel and this will involve a lot of history not associated with the brief 200 years the US of A has been in existence.

Once upon a time traveling over the land, as opposed to traveling over water was the second choice for covering long distances. Let's face it, it is a lot easier to float down a river than it is to hack your way through forests. Remember that the concept of roads as we know them today are really a new way to travel; the smooth hard packed roads we know today were, for the most part a product of the 20th century. Until the 1950's the only place there were multi lane "expressways" were few and far between.

Think about the 1700 and 1800's when "Britannia Ruled the Waves". During much of that period of time the European continent was at war with a chap named Napoleon. And that war was fought on every ocean in the world, not just the European land mass. If your ship was allied with one of Brittan's enemy's you were fair game and could be taken; often call legal piracy. At this time, if you were one of Britain's enemies, it was much safer to travel over land than it was to travel over the sea.

And that is, more than likely, where the term came from. Having lived outside the US of A for 20% of my life, mostly in Europe, I am familiar with the obsession a lot of European's have about traveling over land through Africa. Given the close association of the British with Australia, and the geographic realities of Australia that is the other place I have encountered the term when used to discuss traveling over land through Australia.

There is nothing about marketing associated with the term. But, as is normally the case with folks here in the US of A who have not had any experience with what life is like outside of their home county, they have no clue as to what goes on in other parts of the world. And make no mistake, travel through Africa and the outback of Australia is not for the faint of heart. For example, if you cannot change a tire by taking it off of its wheel and putting another tire on the wheel you have no business traveling in the conditions you will encounter; their are not tire repair shops available. Overlanders are considered to be very hardy folks because of the hardships they encounter and the degree of preparation that is necessary for a journey through remote regions of the word; many of which do not have "the rule of law".

We, here in the US of A, live in fantasy land. Canada is on a par with the US as is most of Western Europe these days. Japan come close as do a few other small countries in other parts of the world. But for the most part, the rest of the world is not paved and travel is not for the feint of heart.

So you are right, going camping is not overlanding. But, overlanding is not some slick marketing term that was coined to part you from your money. Personally, my wife and I spent 7 years traveling outside the US of A on motorcycles. At the minute, we still have two of the four bikes we used in our travels, but they are on the chopping block. We are in the process of converting a 2005 Access Cab long bed Tacoma with 65K miles into our next travel vehicle. Having built four motorcycles for this here type of travel I have a bit of a clue as to what we need. The two enemies of every traveler are space and weight. Not enough space and too much weight. We have just started this work and what we will have will look nothing like the vast majority of vehicles that show up on this forum simply because it is not necessary to go to the extremes so many people choose.

It makes no difference what you choose to do. All that matters is that you are doing something that you enjoy, can afford to do it and it makes you happy. Isn't that what life is all about?

Regards,

Jim

19. Aug 17, 2020 at 8:36 PM
    Calamity_taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Vehicle:
    my definition of overlanding is spending loads of money to live like the homeless for a week or weekend lol

cubie likes this.
  20. Aug 17, 2020 at 8:45 PM
    gixxerphil

gixxerphil @concretelander

Member:
    First Name:
    Phillip
    Auburn, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB

My tow rating is 6500. Mine came with the tow pig.
    Cool thread. I'm in the process of building a matching camper

20191207_094557.jpg

cubie likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top