1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The plan.. Suggestions?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Sawick, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Feb 18, 2011 at 3:27 AM
    Sawick

Sawick [OP] Still not worthy!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    JB MDL, NJ
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD Sport
    T4R TRD Pro Wheels, LED lights, Tonneau Cover, ICI running boards, AVS window/bug
    Alright, I hate to be the guy who asks a question that was answered 100 times in other posts. So, I spent quite a while using the search function trying to learn. After trying to make sense of everything (not very mechanically inclined) here is my plan for my 09 TRD Sport. Any of you with better knowledge see problems before I spend my life savings, lol.

1st - The Lift: (toyteclifts) this is mainly a street truck, and only looking for 2.5"-3"
    Thinking Front height Adjustable 5100 Bilstein Shocks and Toytec/Eibach front coil lift springs. For the Rear I should be hopefully be getting the TSB done (if not I will slap a Toytec AAL on to level it out) ($499.97 + $259.98 w/AAL)

2nd - Rims: KMC XD Monsters, Size: 18x9 Offset: -12mm, Backspacing: 4.52" ($764@Tirerack)

3rd - Tires: Goodyear DuraTrac's in 275/65R18's (E load). Trying to get a size that will help me avoid rubbing, (I am willing to cut, but I would rather not) ($932.00@tirerack)

4th - Spydertrax 1.25" wheel spacers. ($195.90) Not sure if these are nessary to help avoid rubbage, however I do want the tires to stick out just past the fenders. Thinking a 275 w/ the 4.52bs will do that anyhow. Thoughts?

So, this set up should work correct? When I say "work" I am trying to get a 2.5-3" lift, gain some tire size and not have to chop and hack at my truck to get them under. (again I will if I must) From what I can understand, with only going 2.5-3", I shouldn't need to buy UCA's correct?
    There are quite a few people who say they fit 285's under with only minimal rubbing and then there were a couple who said they didn't rub at all.

Thanks in advance guys! :)

2. Feb 18, 2011 at 3:50 AM
    maxamillion2345

maxamillion2345 Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series LC
    Too many
    I think you'll like your lift. I think you'll also find you might be able to get away without UCAs but it won't handle the same, and you won't be able to get it aligned to factory spec or better. It'll still drive but your tires will \ /

I drove on stock UCAs and 884s and then 886s for a while but when I switched to 285s I didn't like how it handled and I had the money so I bought the LR UCAs. If you find you're unhappy you can always add the UCAs later.

Loving my Duratracs so far, but I like to wheel.

I don't know if you want an E load rating especially with such a small sidewall. They ride rough, eat fuel, and I don't think you'll like them for mostly street use.

Couldn't tell you about the wheels or spacers, I'll let someone else chime in on that. Although with 285s, stock 16" trd wheels, and spidertrax my tires stick just a bit out, not sure if that helps any.

On 285s I have minimal rubbing, I've got an ARB up front though so that may change things a bit.

Edit: Lastly, these threads are much preferable to the "what kind of lift and tires should I put on my truck?" threads. Thanks for searching and planning out ahead of time!

3. Feb 18, 2011 at 4:09 AM
    Wattapunk

Wattapunk Stay lifted my friends !

Member:
    First Name:
    Uncle K
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 Dbl Cab LB 4x4 TRD
    Toytec CO's, IRONMAN rear leaf pack, All pro front bumper, Body Armor rear bumper, BA steps MB TKO's w/285/75/16 Terra Grapplers, Bakflip tonneau cover, autopage remote start alarm, Ultragauge
    You should be good. I'm running the same setup at 2.5" setting. Full lock reverse up the driveway sometimes rub but very minor, no cutting, no spacers,stock UCA's. Alignment/drive no problems. I have Terra grapplers but I am considering going up a tire size to 285/65/18 when I need new tires. I think cranking it up to 3" will throw your alignment off and probably need UCA's.

4. Feb 18, 2011 at 4:58 AM
    Sawick

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    JB MDL, NJ
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD Sport
    T4R TRD Pro Wheels, LED lights, Tonneau Cover, ICI running boards, AVS window/bug
    Pretty much every tire I could find in 275/65/18 were E rated. 285/17 had some C and D rated tires though. As for the Tires themselves, I only found a few that grab my attention.

Hankook DYNAPRO, General Tire GRABBER AT2, Firestone DESTINATION MT and of course the Duratracks

As for Rim/Tire size, from what I can understand its generally the norm when you + up your rim size, that you lower your sidewall size correct? Thus why I went from a 70 to 65 on the 18s. If I keep 17s, I do have a ton more options on Tires though, but would have to change rims.

5. Feb 21, 2011 at 1:08 AM
    Sawick

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    JB MDL, NJ
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD Sport
    Bump for any other opinions/help!

6. Feb 21, 2011 at 3:09 AM
    ARC

ARC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Grand Junction, CO
    Vehicle:
    '11, TRD 4X4, 6SPD
    I would try to get wheels with proper backspacing since you are planning to buy new wheels anyway and then you won't need the wheel spacers. That will give you a stronger/simpler/cheaper build.

To Top