1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

THE PLASTI-DIP MEGA THREAD!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by mmtaco06, Aug 10, 2010.

?

Plasti-Dip

1. Good Idea

68.6%
  2. Bad Idea

7.0%
  3. Plasti-Derp

19.8%
  4. I'm jelly...

6.6%
  5. You jelly???

9.8%
  1. Jul 30, 2013 at 4:42 AM
    Item 9

Item 9 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    DB
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '14 OFF ROAD DCSB McFly Black
    Use rubbing alcohol to clean because it evaporates/dries very quick and effectively.

Since it will be humid I can only suggest applying your coats very thin and just lay maybe 7-8 very thin coats rather than 4 average coats.

Dry time between coats will be crucial since the humidity will slow your dry time.

Good luck.

2. Jul 30, 2013 at 6:34 AM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    The other posters are correct. Make sure that you use rubbing alcohol to clean. I used(rubbing alcohol) on my emblems on a first project and it turned out great. I've used the Glossifier spray and it's okay. I did it on my fuel door. Since that I used a lot of it, in certain light, angles, it blends in with the truck. I also think it might because the truck is dirty. In this picture you can tell a difference. I also put the glossy on my emblems and I didn't really notice any difference.

Are you taking the wheels off the truck or dipping them mounted to the vehicle?

IMG_0293.jpg
    IMG_0120.jpg
    IMG_0119.jpg

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  3. Jul 30, 2013 at 6:52 AM
    jtye

jtye Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    DC
    Vehicle:
    08 Super White 5 lug
    Fog lights, fatbob's 5lug lift, Cragar 15x7, 31x10.5 Gen.Grabbers, Wet Okole
    I actually used the Glossifier and it worked great, had to do about 4 coats until it started getting really glossy. One or two coats just has a satin kinda finish

4. Jul 30, 2013 at 6:56 AM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    I had dipped the glossy silver with stereo controls on the steering wheel. It turned out pretty well. There are some spots where the painters tape took some of the dip off around the controls, that's pretty much it. I did a great job for my first time.

I had redone my roof console because of the first time I did it, there was bubbles everywhere and I was too lazy at the time to fix it. Now it's perfect.

Stay tuned, I have a lot of more projects to come.

IMG_0322.jpg
    IMG_0323.jpg
    IMG_0325.jpg

5. Jul 30, 2013 at 6:59 AM
    Blze001

Blze001 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JD
    Washington DC
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DC
    Get an Xacto knife. This stuff doesn't act like spray paint, if you just grab the tape and yank, you'll pull off half of what you just sprayed on.

I kinda cheated with mine, since it's not a high-viz area: I masked off, sprayed, then yanked the tape while it was still wet (this stuff doesn't really run). Repeated twice. Not the finish I'd want on a bumper or area where people would scrutinize, but for the little cutouts that are half-shaded already, it worked just fine.

6. Jul 30, 2013 at 7:04 AM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    You have to have a steady hand to when it comes to using an Exacto Knife. Really clean the areas that you are going to PD. You should allow a bit of drying time before you take the tape off. But not so much drying time to where it's going to be totally dry, then you will take all the dip off. It's a trial and error process, takes time, practice, patients.

7. Jul 30, 2013 at 7:27 AM
    CO Taco

CO Taco Texas Aggie

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4x4 Black
    Weather Tech Mats, GTA aux adapter, Plasti-dip emblems, radio
    [​IMG]
    Did my radio and the surround. Sorry it's sideways.

8. Jul 30, 2013 at 11:54 AM
    TXtycoon

TXtycoon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    2.5" Leveling Kit 17x8.5 Method Double Standards 285/70 Nitto Terra Grapplers Dumped Exhaust Cold Air Intake Pro Comp Front Light Bar Hella Auxiliary Lights Custom Painted Grille&Bumper JDM Black Headlights & 09+ OEM Tacoma Tails Kenwood Excelon Flip-Out CD/DVD In Dash Screen Clifford 2-Way Alarm w/ Remote Start DTRL Mod Fog Light Mod
    Wow guys... thanks alot for all the feedback! I really appreciate it

So my initial concerns have all been resolved. Looks like the humidity won't be a big deal and I should clean with water first then put rubbing alcohol before the PD. And I think I will buy a can or two of the glossifier and try that out as well.

There were a couple of you who had some VERY valid points which I didn't think about. (Item 9 and Blze001)

Applying coats vs masking efforts: I will be doing all 4 of my wheels on my truck. I will be paying careful attention to my masking which means I will be spending a lot of time on it. Since I forgot about the PD ripping off when I unmask.. what should I do? If I'm expected to apply 7-8 coats of this stuff, unmask, remask, then reapply each time its going to be a PITA. I was originaly going to mask, paint, unmask and be done... but if I do that it sounds like I will just peel the PD right off afterwards. :notsure:

9. Jul 30, 2013 at 2:06 PM
    BassMaster06

BassMaster06 VA ○ ES ○ SC

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    SC Lowcountry
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB 4x4
    Bug guts
    How are you masking? I used index cards, like a lot of others on here have, and I didn't have any issues with ripping anything off after I was done, just gotta pay attention. I applied my coats and removed the cards after the final coat and let em sit over-night. You might consider dipping them off your truck, it might be more work up front, but i think it coats em more evenly and you don't run the risk of any running if u accidentally go heavy on the spray. 7-8 coats seems a little overboard, I did 4 coats and it turned out fine, and I didn't have any issues when I peeled it all off. Just my $0.02

[​IMG]

10. Jul 30, 2013 at 4:03 PM
    LUSETACO

LUSETACO Central Scrutinizer

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Aim-ish country PA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD OFFROAD 6spd
    FM 10 series, K&N 63 series intake, 5100's at 2.5, TSB springs, Connex 3300HP,Fat Boy 2 pill, Wilson 1000, Dual ammo cans, Cue ball shifter, color matched bumper, Homeroshi grill, car seat mod, Hella triple tone air horns, AVS vent visors, Debadged, Deflapped, Custom painted eyelids and third brake light, Custom radio antenna , Rugged Cover, Husky mats, yellow fogs, Warn shackle, 265/75 16 Trail Diggers, American Racing wheels, Rugged T bedside decals, Ultra Gauge, too much homemade stuff to list.
    Derped my lower valence today just cuzzzz....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Jul 30, 2013 at 4:46 PM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    Well I thought that this was going to be the easiest thing that I would dip, I was totally wrong(I'm picky too I might add). The first coats were done in the rain in the cold, I figured it was okay, wrong. Did it again and was trying to figure out how to make it work where the twist knob was. I tried two ways(one on each cubby). First I would spray the whole thing and hope that it would even out where the twist knob was, kind of worked. Second one, I taped off the area where the knobs where(took the knobs out) and sprayed dip on the inside. Then did the rest of the flat, front face of the cubby. That looked like total crap. I took all the dip off(lots of scraping and swearing) and ended up doing it the first way. I realized once you put the knobs back together where they're suppose to go, you don't notice it(lack of dip compared to the front face). I used most of the dip can. Looks good though IMO.

IMG_0330.jpg
    IMG_0328.jpg
    IMG_0327.jpg

12. Jul 31, 2013 at 6:27 PM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    I couldn't believe the price difference compared to the US. Hearing some places paying $6.00 a can(US), I was thinking it wasn't going to be that much more expensive. Going to a local Auto Value and seeing $20.00 a can/almost $25.00 for Blaze colours, I wasn't impressed. I do my best not to go through a lot of dip because of the price. Plus I have to be more picky about the things I want to dip.

13. Jul 31, 2013 at 6:29 PM
    Ice Horse

Ice Horse Fire Pony/Stalking Horse

Member:
    First Name:
    Lauren
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    98 3.4L V6 TRD Ext. Cab 4x4 SR5
    3 inch Toytec Adjustable C.O.'s, 3 inch All Pro rear suspension kit, factory E-locker, Trail Gear sliders and front stinger bumper, CBI Offroad rear tube bumper, XRC8 Winch, 33 inch BFG KM2's, 16 inch Ivan Stewart Wheels, Cobra CB radio, flip up license plate, white tail lights, LED front signals, Tundra front brake upgrade, new radio, rock lights, sub woofer, remote start, satoshi grille with prius emblem
    Touched up my bedliner with derp
    [​IMG]

14. Jul 31, 2013 at 6:32 PM
    magikbean562

magikbean562 once flirted with danger, danger got clingy

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    socal
    Vehicle:
    02 4runner 04 solara
    4runner-32x11.5x15 falken rocky mt, tundra king 2.5 coilovers with taco perch, TC UCA, OME rear springs and procomp es9000's, thule roof rack.
    why not just use rustoleum bed liner spray?

15. Jul 31, 2013 at 7:05 PM
    harley

harley Member

Member:
    First Name:
    harley
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 4WD 6SM
    3 in. lift, LEER topper, weathertech mats, AVS bug shield and window visor, aux port, dipped badges and wheels, black ebay headlights
    Dipped my steelies over the weekend. Turned out pretty good. I did 5 light coats but that was too much, it is starting to peel in some spots. This definitely isn't a permanent job but we'll see how much life I get out of it!

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
    4.jpg

16. Jul 31, 2013 at 7:09 PM
    Ice Horse

Ice Horse Fire Pony/Stalking Horse

Member:
    First Name:
    Lauren
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    98 3.4L V6 TRD Ext. Cab 4x4 SR5
    3 inch Toytec Adjustable C.O.'s, 3 inch All Pro rear suspension kit, factory E-locker, Trail Gear sliders and front stinger bumper, CBI Offroad rear tube bumper, XRC8 Winch, 33 inch BFG KM2's, 16 inch Ivan Stewart Wheels, Cobra CB radio, flip up license plate, white tail lights, LED front signals, Tundra front brake upgrade, new radio, rock lights, sub woofer, remote start, satoshi grille with prius emblem
    Because derp. :D

I didn't have rustoleum bed liner spray laying around, but I did have derp.

This is not the rustoleum mega thread :p

17. Jul 31, 2013 at 7:49 PM
    Newlife

Newlife Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Knoxville TN
    Vehicle:
    Underdog
    iPad mini 2 w/ retina in dash, Alpine amp and subs, avs window visors, 3" omelift with bastard pack, full synthetic fluid swap, 15% tint all over, debadged all the way around.,two cree led pods near windshield,50'' up top, and pods in lower bumper , Katzkins grey and barracuda red leather interior all around. Wrangler MTR's 35" . American out law buckshot 16x9. Bruteforce Fab rear bumper. SOS concepts front bumper. Engo 10000s winch And a bunch of other money tied up in it,
    Dipped my rear bumper a few weeks ago. Just word to the wise. The white takes a lot more than the black to fully coat.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Jul 31, 2013 at 8:15 PM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    Hey!
    I was at Auto Value tonight and I had noticed they(PD) has changed their nozzles. They are no longer the skinny, small, round ones anymore. They are more fitting to your finger, fatter and lower to the can. I had noticed when I was using my trigger sprayer that the trigger wouldn't go all the way down on the new nozzles to spray and finish the can off. So just so you know. Keep your old nozzles or buy newer ones with older style.

Also:

I asked the Customer Service person, "how come prices are so much higher than the US?". He said, "apparently because some people were up in arms about not having french language on the labelling. So companies had to send them back to get the labels changed".

I don't think because of a label change(even if it was the reason) it doesn't explain the 3 times as much cost from US to Canadian dip cans. I'm sure that there is more to this then just the labelling.

19. Jul 31, 2013 at 8:19 PM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    I used black for the first few things I was dipping. Yesterday I had tried the yellow and it took a lot more to work than the black did.

Do you happen to have pictures of how you masked off before you did the bumper? I'm looking for some pointers if you have any?

20. Jul 31, 2013 at 8:25 PM
    Newlife

Newlife Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Knoxville TN
    Vehicle:
    Underdog
    iPad mini 2 w/ retina in dash, Alpine amp and subs, avs window visors, 3" omelift with bastard pack, full synthetic fluid swap, 15% tint all over, debadged all the way around.,two cree led pods near windshield,50'' up top, and pods in lower bumper , Katzkins grey and barracuda red leather interior all around. Wrangler MTR's 35" . American out law buckshot 16x9. Bruteforce Fab rear bumper. SOS concepts front bumper. Engo 10000s winch And a bunch of other money tied up in it,
    only real pic I have of it masked off. This pic was about 3 coats in. Like I said took a lot for the white to cover the chrome

[​IMG]

To Top