1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The real reason why Toyota will not introduce a Tacoma Diesl

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by tacomanto, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Jan 15, 2015 at 12:22 PM
    tacomanto

tacomanto [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
  2. Jan 15, 2015 at 12:33 PM
    CaptAmerica

CaptAmerica Asphalt Avenger! TTC#13

Member:
    First Name:
    Cap
    In a van down by the river
    Vehicle:
    Gen 2.9 DCLB TRD Sport w/tech
    Stickers and not enough wax
    We read that already and it's been pissed all over in another thread. The source article was posted, read, and the Urinary Olympics commenced.

I suggest you put on a raincoat, because they'll probably bring it over here.

3. Jan 15, 2015 at 12:54 PM
    SpeedoJosh

SpeedoJosh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access cab, Base, 4x4
    All I'm reading is they don't want to do it first. Seems like a bitch move to me, letting Chevy go first, then seeing if it works. Not very innovative.
    Hopefully people flock to the diesel option Chevy introduces, and then once Toyota tries to reach their hand in, they are met by nothing but middle fingers from previous customers. Then maybe they'll listen to their customers more often then every ten years.

4. Jan 15, 2015 at 12:59 PM
    CaptAmerica

CaptAmerica Asphalt Avenger! TTC#13

Member:
    First Name:
    Cap
    In a van down by the river
    Vehicle:
    Gen 2.9 DCLB TRD Sport w/tech
    Stickers and not enough wax
    Or they'll let GM make a ton of mistakes that they can then learn from. That's been done before too.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

5. Jan 27, 2015 at 9:40 AM
    OCNutty

OCNutty Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern, Va.
    Vehicle:
    Silver Prerunner DC v6 SR5 Tow
    Even if that cheese has a couple bites taken out....:D

Bet GM still hasn't figured it out yet even after their disasters in the late 70's.

I'd let the others go first on this. Don't know EPA issues but figure there are some.

Still don't know how Diesel would save; it's the price of Premium around here (and still 40c more expensive) so have to get 15-20% better fuel mileage to break even...

Not a deal breaker for me

6. Jan 27, 2015 at 10:03 AM
    Who Dat Popcorn

Who Dat Popcorn Dafuq

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricky
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    Sold :/
    SOLD
    Why do you think toyota has been as successful as they have been? I would do exactly what they are doing if I owned a company like them.

7. Jan 27, 2015 at 10:45 AM
    stump jumper

stump jumper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 4x4 CM TSS
    not quite, you have to do better than that to cover the upfront cost and maint.

8. Jan 27, 2015 at 10:53 AM
    taco206

taco206 Well-Known Member

Member:

You do know that diesels don't cost some insane amount to maintain right? My old employers 2011 Sprinter now has 33k miles since new and has been to the dealer 3 times for routine service (10k+ intervals). Nothing weird, nothing unusual. The only issues with it have been stuff that's not related to the motor, like a small leak and a dome light not working. Typical German car stuff.

People hear "diesel" and assume a 13.5L Volvo semi tractor, now those are hard to maintain lol.

9. Jan 27, 2015 at 11:15 AM
    Marcoc

Marcoc Well-Known Member

Member:
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Off-Road LB
    2017 Tacoma TRD OR LB white w/tech package
    I'm happy with my gas engine Tacoma. I wouldn't buy a diesel, too expensive to maintain overall. I wouldn't pay $3-5k more for a diesel option, the new Tacoma's will already be expensive why push it to over $40k. Toyota is smart they know they won't make a profit off a diesel mid size truck. The new v6 will get the mpgs it needs to stay "competitive" in the segment watch and see. Toyota is always behind in new tech for a reason, as it has been mentioned here before they rather bring something proven out to sell to us consumers. I love my Tacoma, it does what I ask of it whether hauling, driving to work, or trail driving, is it perfect? No but what vehicle is. I would buy a 2017 when my truck had served its purpose and I'm tired of it but I wouldn't buy a 2016, they will have bugs that need working out first. And against many here I happen to like the new truck:D

10. Jan 27, 2015 at 2:59 PM
    Gincoma

Gincoma Special Edition Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City UT
    Vehicle:
    RIPieces 2005 Tacoma, adios 2011 :'(
    Factory Monster Truck Package with reverse gear.
    Uh what makes you think everyone wants a diesel in a midsize truck and pay 45k or more for it....quite a few people here??? Toyota knows what there doing instead we have a few arm chair engineers here say we need a diesel.

11. Jan 27, 2015 at 3:05 PM
    jimmydean

jimmydean Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Camarillo, CA
    Vehicle:
    16' DCSB TRD SPORT 6M
    Limited Grill/Wheels, 265/65/18 Nitto RG
    I agree. Cost benefit ratio isn't there. Esp when diesel is a dollar more a gallon.

12. Jan 27, 2015 at 10:17 PM
    imag

imag Well-Known Member

Member:
    That hasn't worked for the Tundra. Toyota had a history of putting out an exploratory model, then crushing the competition with the follow up. But in the full sized truck segment, they seem to have given up.

13. Jan 28, 2015 at 3:39 AM
    Deuxdiesel

Deuxdiesel Well-Known Member

Member:
    SE MI
    Vehicle:
    '12 Silver Streak stocker
    It is very simple- if you don't want a Diesel, don't buy one. Offering one wouldn't force everyone else to give up their gassers. Diesel enthusiasts know and understand the economies of owning a Diesel vehicle, yet non-Diesel drivers always have to keep posting the same negative stuff. From my point of view, TRD Sport/Off-Road/Pro models make zero sense- lots of over-priced (as much as a Diesel option?) packages that most people never need and can be better served by the after-market, but at least you don't see me actively campaigning against Toyota offering those packages. We'll never know if Toyota would be successful selling a Tacoma with a Diesel here, because so many people are vocal about not giving me the option to do so.

14. Jan 28, 2015 at 9:36 AM
    Gincoma

Gincoma Special Edition Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City UT
    Vehicle:
    RIPieces 2005 Tacoma, adios 2011 :'(
    Factory Monster Truck Package with reverse gear.
    For the forseeable future gas prices will be lower then it was 4 months ago, might not always be 1.70 per gallon. Anything is better then paying 3.90 per gallon though. So you enjoy it to :)

15. Jan 28, 2015 at 9:50 AM
    53wick

53wick Well-Known Member

Member:
    kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2014 accesscab prerunner
    wait till it gets 80,000 plus miles on it, my brother drive a service van [ sprinter ] his company got ride of all of them. went back to ford E-350

16. Jan 28, 2015 at 9:51 AM
    Marine.Doc

Marine.Doc Well-Known Member

Member:
    central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 Prerunner V6
    I have a question. As I am not a diesel enthusiast and am not drawn to them, with a diesel engine in a mid size truck, what would that mean to the second hand market buyer?

17. Jan 28, 2015 at 10:05 AM
    RCOTaco

RCOTaco Long Time Lurker

Member:
    First Name:
    Dalton
    Hamlet, NC
    Vehicle:
    Super White DCSB 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s on Stock Coils, Light Racing UCA's, Pro Comp Wheels, 265/75 Baja MTZ's, Cobra 18 WXST, 4' Firestik, UWS Toolbox
    In my opinion, the integration of a diesel option will only be met with other issues that the Tacoma would have with a stronger engine in it. There would have to be a frame redesign (may or may not have taken place on the 2016), and to go along with a motor rated for towing larger loads, Toyota needs to figure out their leaf spring clusterf*ck that they have. I still don't think they've got that in the bag just yet, even in the Tundra rated at towing over 5 tons. Granted some issues would be easier than others to remedy, but if Toyota had to go through and redesign things like a frame just for the motor, it's just not likely to happen considering the market for the diesel option. You're not going to see companies buying the diesel Tacomas as fleet vehicles, so the only market they have is the individual, who if they needed a diesel would just as well rather have a big truck.

18. Jan 28, 2015 at 11:54 AM
    taco206

taco206 Well-Known Member

Member:

Wow, you sure have a ton of experience, I can tell. I used to work as a diesel tech and I've seen it all. I only worked on the motor, nothing else. And the 2.7L and 3.0L Sprinter are very reliable motorwise. Maybe not on the same level as a Fuso but still very good.

We did maintenance programs on Fuso's with 500k+ miles and some of the older guys were with them since new and they have very little replaced parts. The highest mileage 3.0L Fuso Canter I saw already had 375k.....And you think your TOYcoma is reliable.

19. Jan 28, 2015 at 12:46 PM
    53wick

53wick Well-Known Member

Member:
    kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2014 accesscab prerunner
    did not say Tacoma was reliable. maintenance costs were to high after 80,000 miles. company dumped the sprinter and went back to ford E-350 gas

20. Jan 28, 2015 at 6:16 PM
    gravitytoy

gravitytoy Active Member

Member:
    Interesting: Nearly 20% said they would switch brands for a Cummins V8 diesel. Not the same as a Taco for sure, but that's a pretty significant interest in diesels to say the least.

"Nissan believes the Cummins diesel will help it pull loyalists away from the Detroit 3 brands, says Fred Diaz, Nissan Division's sales and marketing chief.

Diaz, who recently took the position of Nissan sales chief after running Ram, cited a market survey that asked truck customers whether they would consider changing brands if they were offered a Cummins V-8 diesel engine.

"Seventeen percent of them said they would," Diaz said. "That's 17 percent of a market of 2 million sales. That's a lot of potential new Titan customers."

Whole article here: http://www.autonews.com/article/20130826/RETAIL01/308269957/diesels-add-fuel-to-truck-war

Products Discussed in

To Top