1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The Right Tacoma For Me...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jessea1a, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Jul 1, 2011 at 9:04 PM
    jessea1a

jessea1a [OP] Shoeless

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Port Angeles, WA
    Vehicle:
    '96 T100 SR5 3.4L V6 4x4
    Painted wheels, emblems, bumpers, and mirror backs black.
    So after reading through every SR5 vs TRD vs Sport vs Offroad vs pre-runner thread I could get my hands on I'm still fairly undecided on which one would suit my needs best. I live in NW Washington where the weather gets pretty nasty at times so the 4x4 seems like an obvious starting point... My primary uses for the truck will be commuting, light offroading for camping/hiking/fishing/hunting/etc. I'm also fairly new to the whole mechanical aspect of everything and pretty much clueless on things like LSD vs open diff. :eek: Any input is greatly appreciated!

Jesse

2. Jul 1, 2011 at 9:17 PM
    DubyaDawg

DubyaDawg Underprepared and Overconfident

Member:
    Tulsa/Norman, OK
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC PreRunner TRD Sport
    Avid Light Bar, KC Dayliters, Roll-N-Lock bed cover, TRD Center Caps, Fog Light Anytime Mod.
    Inb4 David K... Anyway from what you're saying I would agree 4wd is a good start. Honestly I think the Sport will do just as well as the Off Road for what you mentioned above. It just comes down to whether you want a long bed (Only on a Sport) Or if you like chrominess :)puke:) of the Off Road/SR5 or the, well, sporty look of the Sport.

3. Jul 1, 2011 at 9:27 PM
    Mitch

Mitch Somebody call for a Wambulance?

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    Lights, Siren, Drugs, Needles, Electricity
    Im in the same boat. But because of current funds I have decided on going with a 4x4 SR5. It comes with everything you need for a truck. Just doesn't give you the rear LSD.

I would say what ever your wallet can afford. And for what I have found, what ever your local dealership has. Seems a 2011 Access cab SR5 with the V6 and 6 Speed is very hard to come by these days

4. Jul 1, 2011 at 9:29 PM
    Mitch

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab SR5 4x4

I totally agree. I wish the SR5 or the Offroad gave you an option to color match. I think toyota should get rid of the chrome all together

5. Jul 1, 2011 at 9:46 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DC MGM
    Stock for now
    You can easily buy an colormatched oem grill & sell your chrome grill.
    I bought a non-trd pkg 4x4 DC SB. It was a heck of deal for end of the model year & had everything I really wanted, 4wd, tow & SR5 pkg.
    I use my truck just like the OP described & have modded it to my liking. Also had no plans to sell it till it was dead so the resale for the pricer pkgs didn't matter to me.
    I swapped out the head unit saving over the pricey JBL.
    Use my steel rims for winter tires, found a set of oem Off Road Alloys for the nicer weather, sold the dunlop AT20s for real AT tires.
    The TSB added better shocks (at the time).
    Sockmonkey decals.
    Aftermarket Compass/Temp display.
    Wet Okoles over the less Sporty non TRD seats.
    Thule Rack, the list goes on & on......

Enjoy what you buy for sure, if the packages matter to you best suggestion is to buy either the Sport or Off Road. Those pkgs do add some better options. If you want that & you don't buy it you may kick yourself later on. But I am more than happy with my non TRD pkg 4x4.

6. Jul 1, 2011 at 10:02 PM
    zul

zul Professional Goofball

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite Mica DCSB SR5 4WD V6 AT
    HAVE: Bed mat, Tailgate Lock, Color-matched Grille, Weathertech Floor Liners, Avid Step Rails, RokBlokz mud flaps WANT: Rear Plate Bumper, Steel bed cage
    I'm in the same boat - I've decided (for now) that I will buy either a 4x4 SR5 or a PreRunner TRD OffRoad. Probably the PreRunner as my funds are not quite up to par with current resale of 2nd gen Tacomas.

7. Jul 1, 2011 at 10:41 PM
    jessea1a

jessea1a [OP] Shoeless

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Port Angeles, WA
    Vehicle:
    '96 T100 SR5 3.4L V6 4x4
    Painted wheels, emblems, bumpers, and mirror backs black.
    Great responses. Still lots to ponder over but luckily I'm still a few months away from buying, so my options are still wide open.

8. Jul 1, 2011 at 11:27 PM
    jdmdcfan

jdmdcfan Well-Known Member

Member:
    east WA
    Vehicle:
    dcsb
    Don't bother with the PreRunner. I'm so thankful I didn't settle and held out for a 4x4 at a good price. Unless you just need it for around town.

9. Jul 2, 2011 at 12:20 AM
    zul

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    HAVE: Bed mat, Tailgate Lock, Color-matched Grille, Weathertech Floor Liners, Avid Step Rails, RokBlokz mud flaps WANT: Rear Plate Bumper, Steel bed cage
    It'll be used 99% of the time on pavement. That 1% will be when I go camping or shooting, and that will be, at the worst, on old well-graveled logging roads. In the 1-2 days of snow we get here (Or on a trip to Mt. Hood) I will throw weight in the back and use the locker on the TRD if I happen to get stuck. And depending on the tires I get, I'll buy some chains.

Or I'll find a good deal on a 4x4 and just get that. Pray I find a decent double cab in the Portland metro area!!! :D

10. Jul 2, 2011 at 12:24 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    you want a long box or short box OP ?

11. Jul 2, 2011 at 12:27 AM
    jdmdcfan

Member:
    east WA
    Vehicle:
    dcsb
    Just hold out and don't rush it. It took me two months to find the perfect one. I drove 4 hours to pick it up. Just south of Portland too.

Edit: Yeah sounds like a prerunner will get the job done for you. Portland winters aren't too bad. Well except last winter.

12. Jul 2, 2011 at 12:29 AM
    zul

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    What did you end up getting, and how much did you pay? I've been searching for about a month and have not been able to find a DC 4x4 with under 110k miles for less than 20k. It's making it VERY difficult to find my next vehicle!!!

13. Jul 2, 2011 at 12:36 AM
    Mitch

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    Good luck. I'm finding the portland area/state of oregon has been picked pretty clean when it comes to new Tacomas

I think 2 winters ago was worse then last winter. We had that ice storm come through which sucked

Very little to choose from lately

14. Jul 2, 2011 at 12:53 AM
    zul

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    I've noticed. There is jack shit on the used tacoma market around here lately... maybe for the whole used market, I dont know.

If I could afford a new truck, I'd get that, hands-down.

15. Jul 2, 2011 at 12:55 AM
    jdmdcfan

Member:
    east WA
    Vehicle:
    dcsb
    Really? I had no problem. It took me so long to find one because I am really picky. I specifically wanted a white, crew cab, 4x4, sport, short bed with 50k miles or less preferably at a dealership if affordable. I found it south of Portland at a Honda dealership and haggled the price over the phone the day before. I told him "If the Tacoma is as perfect as you say it is I'll only give you 22k." Got a call back later that day and we had a deal. It helped that I had more than half the amount of cash for the truck and the rest in a check from my bank.

16. Jul 2, 2011 at 1:03 AM
    jdmdcfan

Member:
    east WA
    Vehicle:
    dcsb
    Ahh.. how time fly's

I would rather buy a lightly used one and not lose the instant amount of money when you drive a new car off the lot.

17. Jul 2, 2011 at 1:20 AM
    PVT Pablo

PVT Pablo

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kitsap County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner TRD Pro
    Well Newman, I think the TRD Sport or Offroad would be fine. It's better to get everything, then settle for less and wish you hadn't.

...on the flip side, the driving you'll be doing, all you really need to consider is 4wd. Anything after that is just extra bonuses.

18. Jul 2, 2011 at 1:22 AM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    the biggest tacoma you can find. DDL cab long bed (AKA standard size bed).

19. Jul 2, 2011 at 1:51 AM
    St. Swervus

St. Swervus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Mill Creek, WA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Double Cab TRD Sport
    Leer Camper. Thule Rack, NFab side rails w/step, 3' lift, Weather Tech mats, Paracord grab handles, LED interior lights, Bed Rug, Front windows tinted to match factory rears.
    I live in the Seattle area. Our weather is pretty comparable. So...snow once a year? The 4x4 is worth every penny those two days. And you'll be glad you went the "full monty". Plus we live in an amazing part of the country. Get out there and enjoy it.

20. Jul 2, 2011 at 2:17 AM
    rbeezy

rbeezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma SR5
    for your needs, your best bet is to get a trd off-road 4x4... for the obvious reasons. but if you're on a budget, the sr5 4x4 will do

Products Discussed in

To Top