1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

*THE RTT Owners Thread (With BS)*

Discussion in 'Outdoors' started by ChamYota, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Dec 9, 2021 at 7:48 AM
    littlefish

littlefish Buzz, your girlfriend...

Member:
    Hudson Valley NY
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off-Road DCSB
    The one who dies with the most stuff wins.
    Good sleeping bag. Heat water and put it in a Nalgene before bed and put into the bag down by your feet. People have been winter camping long before RTTs, and any of these heating contraptions, while innovative and cool, really verge more on the border of camper, than camping. I keep a roll of reflective material that looks like a sun shade for a windshield and put it under the mattress of my RTT to prevent some convective heat loss.

jeremy5000[QUOTED] and boston23 like this.
  2. Dec 9, 2021 at 7:50 AM
    Technique

Technique Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2017 Silver Offroad DCSB
    -285/70/17 Toyo AT3 -Tuned
    A diesel heater. Theres a thread in the 3rd gen section where a guy rigged something up, can be done for around $300~. Safe heat alll nightttt longgg.

jeremy5000[QUOTED], JDSmith and BRFab like this.
  3. Dec 9, 2021 at 7:54 AM
    mrtonyd

mrtonyd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR DCSB cement
    Winter camping is ok, depending on how low the temps get. actually sleeping with the other tips, warm bag, nalgene, pee before bed, are all good.

the thing that got me and my gf is the inside of the tent is so cold, you dont wanna get out of your bag. we used a mr buddy heater and it helped, but i was also paranoid it was going to burn my tent down.

maybe if you have one of those bigger battery packs you could run an electric blanket up there.

watch any of Mav's videos on youtube? he sleeps in his camper shell and did a video on staying warm in the winter using those small puck candles. he used like 50 of them and it only lasted an hour or two. there are some options.

4. Dec 9, 2021 at 7:55 AM
    EatSleepTacos

EatSleepTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    It's all about insulation. My setup sounds like overkill on paper but I can comfortably sleep in the 20s with no issues. I would like to try colder with a few more additions.

Exped megamat in lieu of mattress. Has excellent insulation properties, i.e. R-value.
    -20 degree sleeping bag
    Down comforter

On my person, I wear:

Long johns, top and bottom
    wool socks
    sweat pants
    sweatshirt
    a hoodless jacket
    beanie

And I shove a snowboarding jacket at my feet for extra insulation because my feet get cold easily. I'm going to replace those with some down booties and see how it goes.

It's what I wear around camp anyways when it's cold, so all I'm doing is swapping out my pants for sweatpants, fresh socks, and then crawling into my sleeping bag.

5. Dec 9, 2021 at 7:55 AM
    Technique

Technique Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2017 Silver Offroad DCSB
    -285/70/17 Toyo AT3 -Tuned
    They are full replacements. I ordered these back in August and they arrived within a week. I even got upgraded to the premium material for free.

EatSleepTacos[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Dec 9, 2021 at 8:35 AM
    texas angler

texas angler Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas Hill Country
    Vehicle:
    20 OR
    What others have already said above is spot on.

I mostly solo camp and hate cold. But love camping. I sleep inside a down filled bag zipped up with spot to breathe, thermals and socks until I’m too hot. Then it all comes off and down to my britches and sleeping bag. Mr buddy on high just before bed for 2-3 minutes then on again when I get up for a few minutes. Straight down to get fire going again and coffee on. Oh and my exped megamat also helps me stay warm. Highly recommend that mat.

And 2 weeks away from doing exactly what I write above. Out at big bend ranch for Christmas. Mind in the gutter now. Sheesh!

7. Dec 9, 2021 at 8:38 AM
    mrtonyd

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR DCSB cement
    youre heading to big bend?

I'll be down in the area this weekend for a wedding, closer to terlingua. we'll be camping sunday night at the state park, but we're renting a car so i wont have my tacoma and tent. any recommendations on a day trip around there?

texas angler[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Dec 9, 2021 at 8:56 AM
    texas angler

texas angler Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas Hill Country
    Vehicle:
    20 OR
    Yes sir I'm headed to big bend ranch paradise. Pila de los Muchachas camp in the southeastern part of the park. Was at Yedra 2 about 1.5 months ago.

So much to recommend on that stretch of 170 all the way to presidio. Spectacular views. The drive alone would be worth it. Perhaps a paddling trip? I don't have any company names to provide so I'd call Barton Warnock to see if they could help there. Hiking?...Contrabando movie set is on 170 outside of Lajitas- but meh. Many trails into big bend ranch on 170..Rancherias, Closed Canyon etc. But to be quite honest, I've never done any of that as I go into the interior of park to escape, hike, bike and relax in absolute silence. I have stayed at Grassy Banks camp and Lower Medera on 170 but the interior is where I'm drawn each time.

Y'all be safe and have fun!

JDSmith and mrtonyd[QUOTED] like this.
  9. Dec 9, 2021 at 9:15 AM
    TacoTyusday

TacoTyusday Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2014 White Tacoma TRD Baja
    We use a Tepui insulator layer to hang up in the tent first. Then, before we go to bed, I let the Mr. Buddy propane heater run for a bit and heat up the whole tent, then it runs a bit longer once I'm in the tent to get uncomfortably warm. We have a good sleeping bag that sleeps 2, so the gf and I can also use each other to stay warm, as well as a thick blanket on top of that.

and layers. i usually just wear 2 layers, 3 if you count underwear but I don't. long johns under sweatpants, and a t shirt or longsleeve under one of those thin t-shirt material hoodies, and some thick wool socks.

jeremy5000[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Dec 9, 2021 at 12:29 PM
    dmurph1996

dmurph1996 Beer me

Member:
    First Name:
    murph
    Arvada, CO
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Offroad
  11. Dec 9, 2021 at 12:41 PM
    mrtonyd

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR DCSB cement
  12. Dec 9, 2021 at 1:07 PM
    TacoTyusday

TacoTyusday Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2014 White Tacoma TRD Baja

I personally haven't tried closing my tent with it in, as I already leave the factory sleeping pad in there, along with fitted sheets, the aforementioned double sized sleeping bag, thick blanket, inflatable pillow, and the accessory parts to the tent as well (shoe bag, tensioning rods). with all those items in there, it already doesn't close flat (passenger side is a bit raised compared to the drivers side where the hinge is) so i didn't want to add the insulator as well.

mrtonyd[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Dec 9, 2021 at 3:55 PM
    Naveronski

Naveronski Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DCSB TRD:OR
    Yep, this. The warm, dry air is really nice. Most units come with a remote, too, so you don't have to worry about getting out of the tent to turn it on/off.

14. Dec 9, 2021 at 4:34 PM
    EatSleepTacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    I was wondering all of this too, if it’ll close. I’ve heard it’s easy and I’ve heard it’s impossible, so I’m just gonna buy one and find out and I’ll report back.

edit: it’ll be here Monday

15. Dec 9, 2021 at 5:42 PM
    Brian422

Brian422 I fell into the pit that is TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Birmingham, AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 DBCSB F/R Locked, 35's ,Long travel, 23 Tundra 4x4 limited
    Not Stock
    Can’t be as bad as my 3 inch topper I had in my tepui and I still got that closed. Needed up being an extra 6inchs compressing when I closed it. That being said it was a bitch but closed.

EatSleepTacos[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Dec 9, 2021 at 5:46 PM
    EatSleepTacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    My tent is currently a breeze to close because of the exped mattress so I imagine it’ll still be easy to close with this thing. We’ll find out soon though!

17. Dec 9, 2021 at 6:53 PM
    CherokeeCajun

CherokeeCajun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KJ
    Oklahoma City
    Vehicle:
    2017 - MGM - Sport - 4x4
    Alright!! Looks like the wife is hooking it up this Xmas as we'll actually get to travel this Spring / Summer. I plan on putting in the hours scrolling through TW and researching but figured I'd get a head start if anyone wants to help! Already seen some A+ setups.

BED RACK - What's the best bang for buck? Would rather not break the bank but obviously don't want to jeopardize quality. It just seems like it's only a couple bars and not that complicated. Need one that will support 2 people in the tent (325 lbs give or take). I'm thinking I want a 5" that keeps the RTT below the cab but is that super important? Or am I overthinking the wind / mpg issue?
    RTT - What's the consensus? I know folks usually just post the one they have haha. But I'd like to stick with the good guys. Not a fan of CaliRaised and some of the other big names but have no problem buying from anyone if I have to. I'm kinda thinking the RTTs that just pop straight up and don't hang over the side (as in the ladder goes down by the tailgate). Also curious on how hard they are to get on the bed rack and if there are any options that you can do yourself.
    LEAF SPRINGS / COILS - How necessary are some heavy duty OME leaf springs or coils for the added weight? I've got a little bit of added weight already but have driven all over with a camper shell, roof rack, skid plate, etc and it's been fine. Just curious.

Thanks in advance!! I can already tell my head is gonna be spinning as I start my search but hey, that's part of the fun right? Just want it to be perfect. Is that so much to ask??

JDSmith likes this.
  18. Dec 9, 2021 at 8:38 PM
    N8diggity

N8diggity Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW, TX
    Vehicle:
    ‘20 DCSB OR Silver
    I think there are a few personal decisions and preferences you need to consider for the RTT. I don’t have one, but these are the things I’ve had to decide on
    1- how many people will you want to sleep
    2-do you want to be able to load anything on top of it
    3- is height an issue for where you keep your truck/RTT
    4- seasons for RTT use
    5- how important is setup/takedown time (hardtops/pop ups are a min or few faster than softies)
    6- budget

deciding these may guide you to a certain tent and then to the best bed rack for that tent.

19. Dec 9, 2021 at 9:21 PM
    mrtonyd

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR DCSB cement
    bed rack: uptop overland
    rtt: roof nest
    leaf springs/coils: no idea
    (those are both colorado brands and i live in colorado, no experience with either)

i got a used bed rack cheap that works for me; holds my tent and lets my put bikes under
    got my rtt when a local shop had a sale. got the 3 person, not a 2 person like i had originally planned on due to budget.
    leaf springs, its like an extra 140 lbs, less than i weigh. i've heard some shells weigh that much and its a truck so w/e. i dont have any extra stuff to add too much weight

20. Dec 9, 2021 at 9:48 PM
    boston23

boston23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 DCSB 4x4
    You’re probably going to want to upgrade your leaf springs. With sliders, skids, & fiberglass shell, my stock rear springs were sagging. With the Dakar medium duties its been great. And my gfc superlite doesn’t make a noticeable difference.

Why not keep your shell and throw a tent on that?

Products Discussed in

To Top