1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

*THE RTT Owners Thread (With BS)*

Discussion in 'Outdoors' started by ChamYota, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Oct 7, 2016 at 7:18 PM
    crazysccrmd

crazysccrmd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Aprilia Tuareg 660
    Not when it's -20°.

Cascadia Tents and MTgirl like this.
  2. Oct 7, 2016 at 7:21 PM
    kashtyaatsi

kashtyaatsi DieselDub

Member:
    First Name:
    Asher
    Bitterroot, MT
    Vehicle:
    LPC's
    Broken
    Only once was it too cold even with the heater running that we just slept in the truck. As long as the winds aren't too strong and it's not too wet. Good bags + warm clothes go a long way. Can't say there's much more to do than snow shoe a couple times though.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  3. Oct 7, 2016 at 8:14 PM
    MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    If I can't sit by a campfire and read without freezing to death then I don't want to go out.

Murph67cam and ian408 like this.
  4. Oct 7, 2016 at 9:01 PM
    VolcomTacoma

VolcomTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4 6 Speed Supercharged
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    Curious how you keep warm in an RTT at super cold temps? Layers and the correct sleeping bag? I know someone said something about that propane portable heater thats "tent safe", but then you run in to off gas issues and such to where you need to crack a window which defeats the whole purpose.

5. Oct 7, 2016 at 9:06 PM
    kashtyaatsi

kashtyaatsi DieselDub

Member:
    First Name:
    Asher
    Bitterroot, MT
    Vehicle:
    LPC's
    Broken
    Not layers but I wear long underwear type things. Can't think of the proper name, we always just called them waffle tops/bottoms. That with a fleece blanket inside a 0 degree bag and down comforter work great. As for the window I always 100% of the time have them cracked to help with moisture, but almost never run the heater more than before bed/early morning anyways. On occasion the cold will wake me in the middle of the night so I'll turn it on for a while.

6. Oct 7, 2016 at 9:06 PM
    trekker

trekker I like tacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Pocatello, ID
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB TRD OR MGM
    floor mats and a beer switch
    I've set up a propane heater on the ground in the awning room with a battery powered fan circulating the warm air up into the tent. Freezing temps outside and 70 degrees in the tent. I imagine that setup could work well into single digits or negative temps with a weather hood on the tent.

Oppositeboy and kashtyaatsi like this.
  7. Oct 7, 2016 at 9:07 PM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    I'm a simple peasant with only a Tepui Ayer, which has no awning, please forgive me.

8. Oct 7, 2016 at 9:08 PM
    trekker

trekker I like tacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Pocatello, ID
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB TRD OR MGM
    As far as ventilating for propane I leave the zipper of the awning room open behind the heater to bring in fresh air and a window corner open up top

9. Oct 7, 2016 at 9:08 PM
    kashtyaatsi

kashtyaatsi DieselDub

Member:
    First Name:
    Asher
    Bitterroot, MT
    Vehicle:
    LPC's
    Broken
    I have no overhang for the annex either or I'd probably be okay running the heater full time.

10. Oct 7, 2016 at 9:10 PM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I mean I have the Ayer for just myself and maybe my boy when he gets a little older and, otherwise I have the full Coleman family package for everyone else. I need to pick up a double person sleeping bag (my singles are all to small for me) and have considered the small propane heater. I usually have a window cracked as well for moistute issues.

11. Oct 7, 2016 at 9:10 PM
    trekker

trekker I like tacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Pocatello, ID
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB TRD OR MGM
    Not a peasant, you've got an easier setup! When I don't have propane heat I boil water and keep it in a water tight container to throw into the sleeping bag if it's going to be colder than what my gear can handle.

12. Oct 7, 2016 at 9:14 PM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Haha I know, I got the Ayer because it was the cheapest and I wanted something for myself to test out how I liked it. I love it, so once some other expensive mods get taken care of I'll probably sell it and get a larger one for the family. Or build a trailer and put that one on it and keep the Ayer for myself :rofl:

trekker likes this.
  13. Oct 7, 2016 at 9:16 PM
    trekker

trekker I like tacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Pocatello, ID
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB TRD OR MGM
    My tent is huge. When it's just me (lately it has only been me!) it's a hassle. I've considered downsizing a lot recently.

14. Oct 7, 2016 at 9:22 PM
    trekker

trekker I like tacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Pocatello, ID
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB TRD OR MGM
    When backpacking there's a few tricks to staying warm at night that can translate to using a rooftop tent. Put on dry clean socks as you go to bed, wear some sort of cap or beanie even if your bag has a hood, eat a hot meal before laying down and eat plenty of it to stay full, wear all your insulating clothing, use a warm sleeping pad to keep heat loss at a minimum, the bottled hot water trick I mentioned earlier... and if all that fails try to dream of a scorching desert!

15. Oct 7, 2016 at 9:32 PM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Haha good to know! Lately its been hot nights, windows down all the way, blanket across my feet (because who the fuck sleeps with uncovered feet? Heathens), waking up a tad cold and tossing another blanket on. Or If its a little chilly I'll bring the pup up with me and hes a damn heater himself, since he takes up half the damn tent anyhoo. I guess I need to re-evaluate my cold weather tent gear lol

16. Oct 7, 2016 at 9:43 PM
    zippsub9

zippsub9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Halfmoon, NY
    Vehicle:
    14 DCLB
    Shit bolted onto other shit, and junk.
    I have a heated matress pad on top of the foam mattress and then i use a heating blanket to sleep under for my boy and my wife in colorado. No sleeping bags, I run a Honda 1000 all night to run them without issue. I run a 100' extension to get it as far away as possible then bury the exhaust behind rock or trees to minimize the noise. The blanket goes up to 10 but we havent gotten it past 2 yet. It is nice to have warm blankets and bodies to warm up with.

17. Oct 7, 2016 at 9:44 PM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    ^also good to know!

18. Oct 7, 2016 at 9:45 PM
    trekker

trekker I like tacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Pocatello, ID
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB TRD OR MGM
    How much fuel do you use on a given night? Gas or propane?

19. Oct 7, 2016 at 9:49 PM
    zippsub9

zippsub9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Halfmoon, NY
    Vehicle:
    14 DCLB
    Shit bolted onto other shit, and junk.
    The EU1000, Honda, has a regulator that adjust engine speed based off of consumption. It doesnt reach full throttle with three apple devices and both heated blankets at full tilt. It has a roughly 2 gallon tank and runs for 8 hours wide open. I top it off at night before we turn in, fire it up and have no issues all night. I got it off craigslist for $400. Cosmetically a little rough but no issues from the little honda

jubei and trekker like this.
  20. Oct 7, 2016 at 9:55 PM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Interesting, I might have to look in to a little generator one of these days

Products Discussed in

To Top