1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

*THE RTT Owners Thread (With BS)*

Discussion in 'Outdoors' started by ChamYota, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Jun 10, 2019 at 8:56 PM
    buffedout

buffedout TW badass!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mr. Sarcasm
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD OR
    I have a tall rack. I will say that tippy spots can be unnerving. When I hit a stiff breeze my truck turns into a reverse sailboat. I don't have the balls to add up the amount I spent in gas from last week's road trip. It can be tough having to climb all over the truck to open/close everything.

I do like the height above the ground. I also like the room I have in the bed. I'm strong enough* that carrying my dog up is easy.

20190605_204254.jpg

*You got me. She's just small and light.

2. Jun 10, 2019 at 11:06 PM
    Mike_R

Mike_R Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    2018 cement Tacoma TRD 4x4 DCSB
    None, yet.
    Anyone hear rocking the victory 4x4 rack!? Just ordered mine and will be picking up a CVT tomorrow pics would be rad!

buffedout likes this.
  3. Jun 11, 2019 at 6:16 AM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.

The RTT mounting brackets we put on our racks is what I use.

4. Jun 11, 2019 at 7:40 AM
    ltaco 17

ltaco 17 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 mgm longbed trd
    King 2.5 w adjusters, icon rxt leaf pack, icon billet delta joints, quarter tilt manufacturing cab mount relocation, Archive Garage Hammer Hangers,Rago shock guards, TRD aluminum skid, RCI aluminum mid,transmission and gas tank skids,Firestone ride right airbags with daystar cradles,Scs Ray 10,285/75/17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers ,Leitner Designs bed rack with 3 small pods and one large,2018 oem pro grill,TRD Pro taillights with MESO ultimate taillight kit, Demello Offroad flattop lightbar front bumper, cbi t3 rear bumper with single swing out, Baja designs xl80,30” s8, 2 sets of squadron sports, s2 scene lights, Meso full interior lights, group 31 Xtreme battery, LFD Offroad stainless battery tray, Arb single compressor, tandem Offroad winch solenoid relocation bracket, factor 55 fairlead and flatlink
  5. Jun 11, 2019 at 7:41 AM
    ltaco 17

ltaco 17 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 mgm longbed trd
    King 2.5 w adjusters, icon rxt leaf pack, icon billet delta joints, quarter tilt manufacturing cab mount relocation, Archive Garage Hammer Hangers,Rago shock guards, TRD aluminum skid, RCI aluminum mid,transmission and gas tank skids,Firestone ride right airbags with daystar cradles,Scs Ray 10,285/75/17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers ,Leitner Designs bed rack with 3 small pods and one large,2018 oem pro grill,TRD Pro taillights with MESO ultimate taillight kit, Demello Offroad flattop lightbar front bumper, cbi t3 rear bumper with single swing out, Baja designs xl80,30” s8, 2 sets of squadron sports, s2 scene lights, Meso full interior lights, group 31 Xtreme battery, LFD Offroad stainless battery tray, Arb single compressor, tandem Offroad winch solenoid relocation bracket, factor 55 fairlead and flatlink
    Leitner Designs ACS F82554BC-4C4F-47B9-81E8-625FE5D6CD19.jpg

6. Jun 11, 2019 at 7:56 AM
    MGMGEN3

MGMGEN3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM Tacoma 4x4 TRD OR
    I have a pair of these lights mounted to the rear of my bed rack. For the price, they are a great addition to my vehicle. I think these would work great on the roof rack.

4x4Taco09[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Jun 11, 2019 at 7:58 AM
    LTDSC

LTDSC 32oz of fun

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    NorCal
    hell of a concept

8. Jun 11, 2019 at 10:42 AM
    m603holden

m603holden @Koditten Pirate Radio member #063

Member:
    First Name:
    Marteeen
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma DCSB OR MT
    Lots of sail boat fuel
    True. I should probably stop complicating things. I'll just grab some flat stock and blast some brackets on.

9. Jun 11, 2019 at 3:02 PM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    I use the mid-height CBI rack. Nobody made that height a while back, so I built my own for my 2nd gen, but bought the CBI for the 3rd gen since it was basically the same height that I built. It creates a nice arc for air going over the cab and tent on the highway, virtually no change to MPG even though the tent sticks up over the cab a bit. Not too tippy, and I usually have twice the weight of the tent in camping gear loaded in the bed when doing tippy things anyway. Rear visibility is unaffected, bottom of the tent sits right at the top of the rear window. You can still access stuff in the bed relatively easily. You can mount things on the side (jack, shovel, axe, or rotopax). If you are 5'10" or taller (add more inches if you have a lift, do your own conversion if you are Canadian), you can do most of the setup without climbing all over the truck.

For the bad, you still have to climb around on the truck a little to get things set up and torn down. Depending on how you mount the tent, the cab may block one of the window rods, but I attach a bungie to the roof rack as a substitute and it works fine. If you have an annex, the shorter height makes the annex room smaller. When not camping, limits the height of things you can carry in the bed.

I'm sure there's more, but cost comes into play. Bed bars are a cheaper way to get started.

10. Jun 11, 2019 at 3:13 PM
    Daddy_Firebird

Daddy_Firebird Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road DCSB MGM
    -Toytec Aluma 2.0 -SPC UCAs -Icon RXT Leaf Pack -Front & Rear Durobumps -Cooper ST Maxx Skinnies on Methods -RCI Skids -Leitner Rack -Custom Billet Shift Knob (7r41lbr34k3r) -Stromung "Tucker" Exhaust -Expedition Essentials TTM
    Thanks for sharing! I got a good deal on some mid height bed bars locally. I figure I'll start there and if I want to upgrade to a rack down the road I won't be out to much cheddar.

11. Jun 11, 2019 at 4:07 PM
    CharlieCafe

CharlieCafe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Wherever the wind blows
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Offroad 4x4 - MGM
    Plethora of "useless" shit
    Just thought is share my most recent experience since we don't live too far from one another and drive the same roads. I don't think you'll take that big of a hit on MPGs with it up high but there will be some. Note - I only have experience with this setup.

I'm running a Tepui Autana 3 on a Prinsu rack up top of a camper shell. We just went to Utah a couple of weeks ago and from Superior to De Beque I recorded 16.5 MPG(didn't pay much attention after that as I was having too much fun :D) which is just a little better than what I get around town without the RTT up top and without all of my gear. Highway trips without the RTT up top or camping gear I usually get around 17-17.5 going out through i70.

IMG_20190527_101644.jpg

12. Jun 12, 2019 at 8:35 AM
    turbodb

turbodb AdventureTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma Xcab 4x4 SR5 V6 TRD
    AdventureTaco
    E-Paz 732NJ likes this.
  13. Jun 13, 2019 at 10:27 AM
    velogeek

velogeek Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2024 4Runner
    Mid-height is the way to go IMO unless you really want to pile on the sides. Maxtrax only fit on the side the tent doesn't open towards (unless you have a bracket to lower them an inch or two) and I'm guessing Rotopax aren't going to fit either.

I took no MPG hit with my RCI rack and the height is still good for accessing cargo up near the cab.

14. Jun 13, 2019 at 10:30 AM
    eon_blue

eon_blue Most Improved Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD 3.4l 4x4 5sp manual Xtraca & '96 4runner 4x4 5spd manual
    I prefer low profile bed racks with the RTT mounted flush with the cab myself, not just for looks but also for keeping the center of gravity low.

One big downside to this though is the bed space you lose with a low profile rack, I can make it work but I don't need my truck bed for anything all that big most of the time. If I do (like picking up something big from Home Depot or the furniture store) then I end up putting the merchandise on top of the tent and getting creative with ratchet straps lol. Have a roof rack helps a lot for that.

AKGSD likes this.
  15. Jun 13, 2019 at 10:36 AM
    Daddy_Firebird

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    -Toytec Aluma 2.0 -SPC UCAs -Icon RXT Leaf Pack -Front & Rear Durobumps -Cooper ST Maxx Skinnies on Methods -RCI Skids -Leitner Rack -Custom Billet Shift Knob (7r41lbr34k3r) -Stromung "Tucker" Exhaust -Expedition Essentials TTM
    That's what I'm going with. I picked up a set of Tacoma_Pocalypse mid height bed bars off CL this morning. I should still be able to add some Maxtrax and 2 x 2 or 3 gallon Rotopax once i get the longer gear panels put on. I'm going to sand the bars down a little and add a layer of semi-gloss paint. Any recommendations as far as which can of spray paint to go with? The previous owner sprayed bed liner on them and it's held up pretty good.

CL Bed Rack Pic.jpg

CharlieCafe likes this.
  16. Jun 13, 2019 at 11:34 AM
    iK0NiK

iK0NiK Insert custom title here.

Member:
    First Name:
    West
    Columbus, GA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB V6 TRDOR 4WD
    Bil 6112/5160's etc.
    https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-7798830-Stops-Spray-12-Ounce/dp/B0009X8LPE

It's not as tough as the spray-on bed liner stuff, but mine's been on my sliders for a year and it still looks great. No noticeable fading, and cleans off easily.

17. Jun 13, 2019 at 11:44 AM
    Daddy_Firebird

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    iK0NiK[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Jun 13, 2019 at 2:24 PM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    More important would be the prep work -- knock that rust off and scuff all over with a Scotchbrite pad, then wipe down with mineral spirits or acetone. Don't underestimate how many cans it will take -- I'd get at least 3 cans if not 4. Spraying tubes tends to waste a bit of paint due to the spray pattern (a lot of paint just goes into the air) and having to go around them.

19. Jun 13, 2019 at 2:32 PM
    Horger12

Horger12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2017 Barcelona Red OR-DCSB
    5100s, Toytec AAL, Falken Wildpeaks, CaliRaised Ditch Pods, BAMF Sliders and Bed Bars
    Installed my BAMF Expo Bed Bars the other day with my Skyrise. I won't be able to test the new setup until next week though unfortunately.

[​IMG]

20. Jun 13, 2019 at 3:02 PM
    Lumberjackcoma

Lumberjackcoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Decided to lower the RTT, it was previously on the top of my topper. mememememememe.jpg

smithe68, Beretta4x4 and E-Paz 732NJ like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top