1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

*THE RTT Owners Thread (With BS)*

Discussion in 'Outdoors' started by ChamYota, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Feb 28, 2020 at 4:58 AM
    Armyhater458

Armyhater458 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Clarion, PA
    Vehicle:
    2012 TX Pro
    OME 887, LR UCA, Dakar 095 (medium duty), Dick Cepek Extreme Country 255/85/16
    We have the same tent. How is the mattress. That was really my only worry.

2. Feb 28, 2020 at 5:09 AM
    Newlife

Newlife Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Knoxville TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 t4r orp
    Bone f’n stock for now
    Did you do anything inside your shell for bracing? That’s what myself and another member are doing after we finishing my transmission swap.

3. Feb 28, 2020 at 5:15 AM
    littlefish

littlefish Buzz, your girlfriend...

Member:
    Hudson Valley NY
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off-Road DCSB
    The one who dies with the most stuff wins.
    Oh that's really smart actually. Gets me higher than being just on the slider.

4. Feb 28, 2020 at 5:21 AM
    Armyhater458

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Clarion, PA
    Vehicle:
    2012 TX Pro
    I was in a thread a few weeks ago and there was quite a discussion about this. The general consensus was that you'll be fine just sleeping up there. Don't drive around with it deployed or with significant weight, but the tent itself will be just fine. There was something about dynamic load and static load, maybe look up the specifics of your cap to give a little peace of mind. With all of that being said, I bought a reinforced roof cap for that very reason. I have no plans of mounting the tent to it as of yet, but the option is there should I decide it would be better than a rack. I'm thinking about running a summer and winter set-up. Summer rack and tent, Winter just the cap.

Tacoma-Jack likes this.
  5. Feb 28, 2020 at 7:54 AM
    MountainManGuy

MountainManGuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road DCSB
    Man, first impressions are GREAT. I'm a bit stingy with money on certain things and I still feel like these things are overpriced, but man is it pretty sweet. It feels really durable and it's incredibly roomy in there. I still have some getting used to on the packing it away part, but overall I'm happy with the purchase.

Going to take it out tonight for it's winter camping maiden voyage!

Armyhater458 likes this.
  6. Feb 28, 2020 at 7:55 AM
    Bannerman

Bannerman Tasteful Thickness

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnson
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    22 Tremor 402A, 22 T4R ORP
    Pick up a Buddy Heater on your way out!

7. Feb 28, 2020 at 7:56 AM
    TheNatural

TheNatural Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Nelson, BC
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB
    Lots of bolt on chrome stuff
    We put a dog bed in the back seat for our pup while we're driving. I prefer letting him sleep in there too. My wife found some mesh window covers for the truck so we can leave the windows down for the dog when it's hot but still keep the bugs off of him. Often he ends up in the bottom of the annex... but that's not my first choice.

Having tried my RTT in many different positions (a couple different height bed racks, and on the roof of the FJ Cruiser), I suggest keeping the cover zipper at eye level. Climbing up the spare tire, etc, to put the tent away isn't really that bad, but the convenience really shines when it's lower and you can pack up mostly while standing on the ground. The benefits to handling and mpg are noticeable too. I was quite surprised at how much body roll was eliminated on the highway when I lowered the tent just 7 inches to a lower rack. Fits under more tree branches too.

Bannerman likes this.
  8. Feb 28, 2020 at 7:58 AM
    woodsman117

woodsman117 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Barcelona Red TRD OR
    OME HD lift, HD Dakars, Duratraks, RCI IFS Skid
    Negative. Not as of now. What @Armyhater458 is spot on. No need for bracing for heavy static loading. The fiberglass shells are stronger than they are given credit for. Would I want much more up there in terms of weight other than the tent going at highway speed, no. But parked, I have no concerns putting 350+ lbs of human and dog in the tent. Ideally, I would have probably gone for a softshell topper with a rack that goes over it but my better half and I are travel nurses and need all the secure space the camper shell provides when we are on the road.

9. Feb 28, 2020 at 8:00 AM
    woodsman117

woodsman117 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Barcelona Red TRD OR
    OME HD lift, HD Dakars, Duratraks, RCI IFS Skid
    The mattress is definitely a bit stiff right out of the box. But I think it will break in with time and frankly, it's way comfier than any backpacking mattress pad. If you wanted to go super lush though I think the double inflatable pad from NEMO would fit in there pretty darn well and would deflate/live in the tent when collapsed.

Armyhater458[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Feb 28, 2020 at 8:14 AM
    littlefish

Member:
    Hudson Valley NY
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off-Road DCSB
    Those are all great points. I wrestle with this decision so much. I really want the tent atop a cap to double my storage space in the bed. On long trips the space in the short bed with a cover on it really starts to feel small. With a cap that space doubles. Having the annex better suited for the dog is a nice plus, but it isn't the primary motivator for getting the cap. Lower CG, better gas mileage, easier pack-up, and being able to fit into my garage with the tent to use my ceiling hoist are all very strong arguments for keeping the tent on the rack. But man, the idea of the extra space sounds great. For the dog, I built a platform for him in the truck by taking out the rear seats. It works great, but days when we drive for 12+ hours I like having him in the annex to stretch out a bit. Typically though, on long cross country tips he stays with the in laws.

BattlecryTaco and tundraconvert like this.
  11. Feb 28, 2020 at 8:15 AM
    Bannerman

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnson
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    100% Agree. Swapping from a RTT on a camper shell to the RTT on a diamondback was a game changer.

MountainManGuy likes this.
  12. Feb 28, 2020 at 8:16 AM
    littlefish

Member:
    Hudson Valley NY
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off-Road DCSB
    Man you guys are making me really reconsider moving to a cap.

13. Feb 28, 2020 at 8:17 AM
    Bannerman

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnson
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    I have a similar set up for my dogs but dont take out the seats.

IMG_3291.jpg

14. Feb 28, 2020 at 8:18 AM
    Armyhater458

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Clarion, PA
    Vehicle:
    2012 TX Pro
    Maybe it was your discussion that I was quoting. I vaguely remember 350 and a dog as part of the conversation. I've seen people use travel boxes on a cabrack for visiting nurse supplies, that would give you space in the rear for camping stuff!

The member I got mine from had an inflatable mattress he used on top of the standard mattress. I have never had a mattress to sleep on, just a cot or ground. I think it will be worlds better than that and I will be satisfied. I want to get the wife and kids out though, and think she may prefer a little more plush surface.

15. Feb 28, 2020 at 8:18 AM
    littlefish

Member:
    Hudson Valley NY
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off-Road DCSB
    I wanted to do it like that originally. I found however that by taking the seats out the platform is ~4" lower, so its easier to jump into, and better for his joints while jumping out. Plus he's got a few extra inches of space forward to. But yea, same concept. Looks great!

16. Feb 28, 2020 at 8:23 AM
    Bannerman

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnson
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    Yours seems better made and better thought out. This was slapped together quick but I like it because it comes in and out easier. My pups are still pretty young and very athletic so don't have issues getting in and out. Hell they jump out of the RTT now that it is lower. I don't let them though when I can stop them, dont want a vet bill if they hurt themselves.

17. Feb 28, 2020 at 8:24 AM
    littlefish

Member:
    Hudson Valley NY
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off-Road DCSB
    My dumbass dog would absolutely try jumping out and at 90 pounds that wouldn't end well. We never seriously considered putting him up there.

18. Feb 28, 2020 at 8:27 AM
    Bannerman

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnson
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    Mine are a little smaller at 50 and 60 lbs.

IMG_3274.jpg

Chux likes this.
  19. Feb 28, 2020 at 8:36 AM
    TheNatural

TheNatural Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Nelson, BC
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB
    Lots of bolt on chrome stuff
    I like your platform; I'm planning something similar for a project this summer. I saw a picture of the Goose Gear seat delete and it made me realize how much more space there is without the seats back there.

I have been contemplating building a compromise topper to find balance between the RTT height and the enclosed storage space. Basically, a contractor canopy but only half the regular height. I found with a tonneau cover having the dry space was nice, but it was too hard to access with the RTT on top (can't flip tonneau open) and a lot of my things were juuuuuuust too tall to fit and had to be laid down. My custom canopy would be the appropriate height so the top of the RTT lines up with the top of the roof rack, and would have opening sides so I could easily reach everything (kind of like a GFC). Might even pair it with a bedslide if I get really ambitious. But... my holdup is that I'm also contemplating moving the RTT and all camping gear to an expo trailer to keep the truck lighter and more nimble for daily driver duty as well as maximizing trail capability. Decisions are so hard.

20. Feb 28, 2020 at 8:52 AM
    Ghost_ed.

Ghost_ed. Well-Known Member

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma Ghost Edition
    Good to hear. My Low Pro should be here this weekend. Sold my Tuff Stuff Ranger to get it.

Products Discussed in

To Top