1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The squeeky seat: an EAmonkey story

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by NetMonkey, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Jan 13, 2010 at 3:46 PM
    NetMonkey

NetMonkey [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010, 4x4, DC, off-road, shortbed, automatic
    Toytec Ultimate Lift @ 3", Mickey Thompson MTZ's 285/75/16, Moto Metal 955b, rear 2" ALL, Marlin Crawler sliders
    so, i had bought my truck in september, and around november, the left side (under your left leg) of the drivers seat started sqeeking. at first it was barely noticable, but gradually, it became worse and worse. a bump in the road or a weight shift as you turn a corner caused the seat to squeek horribly. i could sit in the seat and press it down with my hand and it sqeeked loudly.

so, on december 22nd, i took the truck into santa monica toyota (which is where i bought it) to have them look at the seat. my wife was off of work so she was able to drive me to and from the dealer. Mark Platz was my service consultant (fantastic service from these guys, BTW) called me up later that day and said that they were able to reproduce the problem and wanted to replace the whole seat; which was going to cost them $3000. mark needed to get approval from the manager of the store because of the cost of the repair, but he didnt anticipate any issues (and ordering a new seat would take a week or two).

so, a few days later Mark calls me up and said that the manager wanted the regional toyota maintenance manager to look at it before they spent $3k on this new seat. this manager, however, is only at their store once every 2 weeks and, when i bring the truck in, it has to be their before 8am. ok... no problem. i set up an appointment for january 7th. i also found out that this dealer has a courtesy shuttle.... the first one leaves at 7:30am. this means that i need to be there in plenty of time to do the paper work and be ready for the shuttle before 7:30am (i decided to use their shuttle service so that i could let my wife sleep in :) ).

so, on january 7th, i get to the dealer at 7am, drop the truck off, get my paperwork and hop in the shuttle at 7:30am. there was only 1 other person who needed a ride so she was dropped off first and then me. i am on the outside edge of their courtesy shuttle service (5 miles) so it made sense to drop me off last, but i got to work by 8am.

Mark calls me later that day and says that the regional service manager was able to reproduce the squeek, but had a different solution to fix the problem. apparently, there were a batch of seats that came from the factory whose internal mechanisms/assemblies were not greased thuroughly enough or not at all. the lack of this grease was causing the squeek. so they wanted to take the seat all apart and greese everything really good. however, this grease is only available from the factory so they would have to order it and i would have to come back for the repairs.

/sigh... ok, so my wife drops me off at the dealer that night to pick up the truck and then i went back on january 12th for the repairs. i decided to use the shuttle service again since it was so convenient. this time, however, there were 5 of us who needed rides. since i needed to go the farthest and since everyone else's destinations were more clustered together, i would be dropped off last. damn, ok.... 2 were dropped off in santa monica, one was dropped off on wilshire near the federal building and another was dropped off in brentwood. what this means, is that it took 1 hour and 20 minutes for me to be dropped off at home which is 5 miles from the dealer. fuck.. an hour late to work. i get a call later that day from Mark and he says that the repairs were completed successfully and they drove the truck around to make sure that there was no squeeking.

so, today, my wife drove me over there to pick up the truck. everything visually appeared to be good and we drove over to denny's for lunch. during the short drive, i could not hear any squeeking.... yay! so after lunch, i get back in the truck and go to adjust the back of the seat to a more vertical position... but .... i couldnt find the lever to move the back of the seat. i fumbled around for bit and discovered that when they put the seat back together, they pulled the seat bottom fabric over the lever! OMFG!! i got out of the truck and, yup, the lever was inside the seat !!

so i drove back to the dealer. i was kind of being a dick and i told them i wanted it fixed now while i wait for it. ( i am getting tired of dealing with this seat crap.) they said that the tech department was out to lunch and that the work would take another day to complete. so i said that they need to supply me (at their expense) another vehicle to drive during this time. the manager immediately approved it and they called Budget rent-a-car. i was picked up by budget and given a rental car. so, hopefully, tomorrow, the seat will be properly fixed.

/sigh....

2. May 17, 2010 at 9:16 AM
    MattN03

MattN03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Bluegrass State
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    20% window tint, beep mod, hardwired V1, TSB springs, AVS Bugshield-21803, USA Spec PA15, OEM Tacoma scuff plates, Weathertech mats, Truxedo LoPro, TRD skid, GY Duratrac's 265/75/16 C Range, locker mod (switch method)
    Did applying grease fix your seat? My 07 with 18k miles (just out of the 3yr warranty!!) has developed a seat in the drivers seat. It usually happens in hard corners or over larger bumps, but is annoying.

3. May 17, 2010 at 9:19 AM
    NetMonkey

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    Toytec Ultimate Lift @ 3", Mickey Thompson MTZ's 285/75/16, Moto Metal 955b, rear 2" ALL, Marlin Crawler sliders
    yes. taking apart the seat and re-greasing everything did elliminate the squeek. its been 4 months and still no squeek.

4. May 17, 2010 at 9:21 AM
    MattN03

MattN03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Bluegrass State
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    20% window tint, beep mod, hardwired V1, TSB springs, AVS Bugshield-21803, USA Spec PA15, OEM Tacoma scuff plates, Weathertech mats, Truxedo LoPro, TRD skid, GY Duratrac's 265/75/16 C Range, locker mod (switch method)
    Thanks. This doesn't sound like a fun job for me to do myself :(

5. May 17, 2010 at 10:37 AM
    NetMonkey

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    indeed... the entire seat has to come apart :(

To Top