1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The stealership strikes again

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jross20, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Aug 10, 2018 at 12:15 PM
    BillsSR5

BillsSR5 Looking out for #1

Member:
    First Name:
    bill
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5
    might as well bring the shock in, measure twice cut once as they say

Gunshot-6A[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Aug 10, 2018 at 12:17 PM
    BillsSR5

Member:
    First Name:
    bill
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5
    Dam!

3. Aug 10, 2018 at 12:18 PM
    BillsSR5

Member:
    First Name:
    bill
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5
    wait till Fall, maybe set up a deal where some members can help u

4. Aug 10, 2018 at 1:17 PM
    Jeffch

Jeffch Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2018 off road
    Running 285/75/16s
    Hoping my frame swap goes smoothly.
    I called the stealership again and again they said that if it’s apart like shocks intermediate steering shaft thinking my rack also.
    They will install oem compatible parts that I supply for free. Anything above that like body bushings I’d have to pay labor rates but at time and materials.
    I was thinking I would be in some pos hertz rental but they said I will get a taco or tundra at that time.

jross20[OP] likes this.
  5. Aug 10, 2018 at 1:23 PM
    RustyTrumbone

RustyTrumbone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil McCracken
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma SR5 Short Bed
    They were probably just giving you a high number bc they didn't want to do it

batacoma and jross20[OP] like this.
  6. Aug 10, 2018 at 1:38 PM
    azzwethinkweiz

azzwethinkweiz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 DCSB V6 6-Spd, TRD OR, Tow Package
    I'm not sure how it works in the auto industry but for me personally working on planes at the equivalent of an oem "dealership", we have a "bid book"which lists almost all types of possible jobs that can be done on the aircraft with times that they should get done in. These times all started higher than they are currently and the fat has been trimmed over the years so they're pretty accurate.

That being said if we have a job to change the brakes for 4 hours and we get it done in 2 hours with a good mechanic, that's one of the main ways the company makes money... that and selling overpriced oem parts. Unfortunately most jobs are underbid for time so this usually isn't the case...

I am genuinely curious if it is done similar at an auto dealer.

7. Aug 10, 2018 at 2:31 PM
    CouchlessPotato

CouchlessPotato Handcuffed to steering wheels still won firefights

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Vehicle:
    You don't buy a truck for its fucking fenders!
    2.5" lift w/35's
    Don't need a spring compressor unless you're taking the shock apart.

8. Aug 10, 2018 at 2:50 PM
    jross20

jross20 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2000 4Runner SR5 4x4 | V6 | Auto
    Tundra 5100s F+R, OME 880s+890s, duro bumps, etc
    hm, so if I can get the new coil onto the new 5100 without being killed it will make the process a lot easier?

9. Aug 10, 2018 at 2:52 PM
    Gunshot-6A

Gunshot-6A Prime Beef

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Offroad
    Much.

Where you located? I could lend a hand if you are near Salt Lake City.

10. Aug 10, 2018 at 2:53 PM
    jross20

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Nah in Georgia, I appreciate the offer though haha.

Gunshot-6A[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Aug 10, 2018 at 3:35 PM
    Bebop

Bebop Old fashion cowboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Castle rock Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma baja
    6inch lift sitting on bilstein coilovers. Lexus is300 studs in front to keep stock wheels, general grabber red letters, nfab front bumper.
    Dealers and most shops work off flat rate time. A lot of people don’t understand how it works. If a job calls for 3 hours, I get paid for 3 hours, if it takes me 20 min or 19 hours I still only get 3.

spitdog and b_r_o like this.
  12. Aug 10, 2018 at 3:38 PM
    booted

booted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cambridge, MD
    I can explain the movie theater prices if you are interested, my wife has been running movie theaters for years.

Basically, that expensive ticket price? The movie studios get about 90% - 95% of that. Which means the theater gets very little (almost none) of that.

The only thing they can make money off is concession, which is why the prices are so high. They have to pay the rent and payroll and all that other stuff off of that. They also have to pay people to clean the theater out after every show because no one ever takes their trash out with them after the show.

If you want to watch movies on the cheap, watch them at home on your big screen via Netflix or whatever. Same with maintaining your vehicle, do it at home if you wanna do it on the cheap.

lynyrd3 and TheFang like this.
  13. Aug 10, 2018 at 3:44 PM
    lynyrd3

lynyrd3 STRENGTH DETERMINATION MERCILESS FOREVER

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Central Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    2008 SR5 AC SUPER WHITE V6 4x4 AT / 2020 RAV4 XLE
    Bilstein 6112s top setting ,Total Chaos UCAs ,1/4" top plate spacer driver side ,SS extended brake lines ,Old Man Emu Medium Duty Dakar leaf springs with AAL,OME carrier bearing shim , Bilstein 5125s for 2-3” of lift in rear ,Timbren SES bump stops , SS extended brake lines rear , Toytec dif drop , Hayden high performance transmission fluid cooler,aFe pro dry air filter .Baja amber driving combo ditch lights , Devil horns by Andres ,Weathertecs floor protector, American Racing wheels Baja 17x8,4.5 BS , 285/70 Falken Wildpeaks AT/3W .Body Armor rear bumper . Extra D rings in bed ,Blue sea fuse block and 100amp breaker ,HomerTaco custom grill in Super White , TRD radiator cap ,Birddawg Industries rear view mirror riser bracket ,Coverking NeoSupreme Mossy Oak seat covers , Paranoid Fabrications fuse /relay holder Painted pinch weld.Shorty antenna ,HVAC knob mod ,LED dome and map lights , Tri Fold bed cover ,UltraGauge ,Morimoto XB LED fog lights ,Energy Suspension poly body bushings and sway bar bushings ! Geartech Customs splash guards ,Salex center console organizer . Mobtown tailgate cap ,tailgate anti theft mod .X-Mat sound deadening/insulation cab floor . Mobtown weld on rock sliders 0* with kickout Raptor lined . ,NEW frame courtesy of Toyota !
    :rofl: :thumbsup:

boogie3478[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Aug 10, 2018 at 3:45 PM
    lynyrd3

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Central Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 6112s top setting ,Total Chaos UCAs ,1/4" top plate spacer driver side ,SS extended brake lines ,Old Man Emu Medium Duty Dakar leaf springs with AAL,OME carrier bearing shim , Bilstein 5125s for 2-3” of lift in rear ,Timbren SES bump stops , SS extended brake lines rear , Toytec dif drop , Hayden high performance transmission fluid cooler,aFe pro dry air filter .Baja amber driving combo ditch lights , Devil horns by Andres ,Weathertecs floor protector, American Racing wheels Baja 17x8,4.5 BS , 285/70 Falken Wildpeaks AT/3W .Body Armor rear bumper . Extra D rings in bed ,Blue sea fuse block and 100amp breaker ,HomerTaco custom grill in Super White , TRD radiator cap ,Birddawg Industries rear view mirror riser bracket ,Coverking NeoSupreme Mossy Oak seat covers , Paranoid Fabrications fuse /relay holder Painted pinch weld.Shorty antenna ,HVAC knob mod ,LED dome and map lights , Tri Fold bed cover ,UltraGauge ,Morimoto XB LED fog lights ,Energy Suspension poly body bushings and sway bar bushings ! Geartech Customs splash guards ,Salex center console organizer . Mobtown tailgate cap ,tailgate anti theft mod .X-Mat sound deadening/insulation cab floor . Mobtown weld on rock sliders 0* with kickout Raptor lined . ,NEW frame courtesy of Toyota !
    I laughed out loud at your first statement :rofl:

boogie3478[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Aug 10, 2018 at 4:00 PM
    jross20

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Georgia
    Vehicle:

No right I totally get that. But what I am saying is that the prices are SO high that I NEVER buy anything. If they were reasonable I would spend the money, I mean a hotdog for 5 dollars? No thank you.
    But a hotdog for 2-3 dollars? I might get two.

I am saying they shoot themselves in the foot by cutting off a huge amount of income from people like me who buy nothing. Sure some people do, but they would make much, much more if they were just more reasonable.
    If QT can make money off a 2 dollar hotdog then so can everyone else, hell even 3 dollars I might get two like I said.

Also as a side note... never understood why all movie theaters don't just ban together and refuse to accept anything other than like 30%-50% margin.

FMRAV4 likes this.
  16. Aug 10, 2018 at 4:02 PM
    lynyrd3

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Central Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    True dat :D

17. Aug 10, 2018 at 4:11 PM
    Bebop

Bebop Old fashion cowboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Castle rock Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma baja
    6inch lift sitting on bilstein coilovers. Lexus is300 studs in front to keep stock wheels, general grabber red letters, nfab front bumper.
    Same goes for home builders. They mark up everything like crazy

lynyrd3 likes this.
  18. Aug 10, 2018 at 4:12 PM
    booted

booted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cambridge, MD
    Pretty straightforward on this one as well. The studios control what theaters those movies go to. If you piss off Disney, no disney movies, no Marvel movies, etc. No disney movies, no marvel movies, no customers.

lynyrd3 likes this.
  19. Aug 10, 2018 at 4:22 PM
    lynyrd3

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Central Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    :rofl:

20. Aug 10, 2018 at 4:35 PM
    Bebop

Bebop Old fashion cowboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Castle rock Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma baja
    But royal purple is best :bananadead:

Products Discussed in

To Top