1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The Tacoma Towing Bible

Discussion in 'Towing' started by maverick491, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Jul 18, 2017 at 8:54 PM
    raven

raven Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Vehicle:
    '09 Access Cab V6 Off/Road
    Thank you all. :)

I had a look at the one behind the brake pedal and it didn't have the right shape nor wires unfortunately and now I'm wondering what that connection might be for.

I brought my truck to a local hitch shop this afternoon and they were able to find it tucked in behind that big cluster of wires. Only took them a minute or two. Oops!

Thank you again for the help and if anyone needs another controller mounting idea this is how I set mine up. I can see it through my steering wheel.

PhotoGrid_1500436232706.jpg

2. Jul 18, 2017 at 9:13 PM
    HB Taco

HB Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 F150 FX4 S Crew 3.5 TT
    Glad you got it. Mines down there except on the right side so I can adj it with my right hand.

3. Jul 26, 2017 at 6:54 AM
    Toyko Joe

Toyko Joe Here for the pictures

Member:
    lynyrd3 likes this.
  4. Jul 26, 2017 at 8:04 AM
    anonemoose

anonemoose Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Big Pine, Calif
    Vehicle:
    2015 White TRD Sport V6 DCSB
    Ride-Rites, Everything Weather-Tech Makes Added some 12 volt outlets with relays
    OK, got two questions but I'll ask the second one later when I get things sorted out...

We all know too little tongue weight is an accident waiting to happen. What about too much? The reason for asking is my towing situation.

Teardrop trailer is 870 pounds (DMV Taxed Weight), add water, 4 6v batteries, spare tire, cooking gear, and it still is about 1200 pounds. The axle is rated 2200 pounds so no problem there. However, I have a generator mounted on the tongue now and that brings the tongue weight up to 210 pounds - when off set by the water behind the axle. This means I am approaching about 20%.
    Is this too much?
    Is it unsafe?

2015 TRD Sport Prerunner with tow package so it is under the listed max for everything. Have Ride-rites, SGII, installed.

I can move the generator to the truck bed but that is apple/oranges when it comes to GVW - taking 60 pounds off the hitch and moving it to the bed does nothing to the GVW. Truck is rated for 1150 minus some stupid mod that took away 5 pounds according to the extra door sticker. I am trying to add everything up so I know that I am not taxing the truck or going over the max total weight.

I have already towed this configuration... I just want to make sure if we are in an accident that I don't get blamed for something because we are a bit over weight.

Thanks for any info, help or opinions

bill

5. Jul 26, 2017 at 8:16 AM
    Toyko Joe

Member:
    This should help, this model makes me think that it would be fine at 20%
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rH-g7LDHeI

6. Jul 26, 2017 at 12:13 PM
    anonemoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Big Pine, Calif
    Vehicle:
    Ride-Rites, Everything Weather-Tech Makes Added some 12 volt outlets with relays
    I have seen two or three demos like that, that's why I know tooooo light is death but I have never seen anything about too much. I know the Taco has a 600 pound and so does my extension so I know it's not passed that safety barrier.

Right now I am adding up all the individual stuff, I think I am going to be over the 1145 pound limit for the GVW.

7. Jul 26, 2017 at 12:16 PM
    Toyko Joe

Member:
    Based off of what I saw and have read, I would think you're well within the rating of the hitch, trailer and capacity of your truck. A little heavier % tongue weight appears to be a stable location for the weight. I have not read any DOT suggestion requirement otherwise.

8. Jul 26, 2017 at 2:05 PM
    anonemoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Big Pine, Calif
    Vehicle:
    In reading all the info, I guess I have gotten a bit paranoid. Towed about 1500 miles in D but it did not shift or act squirrelly and I did down shift to 4th if it started to hunt. Bought the SGII to monitor and figured out I'd look into my weight.

The really weird part of this, I've put on 6000 miles with this configuration. The only change I am making is moving the 75lb generator from the bed to the tongue, and the 50lb grill/smoker from the tongue to the bed, everything else is exactly the same. In weighing 'us', the topper, cooler, tongue weight all the gear, two propane tanks, pellets, water, chairs, rugs, tent, shelter, food, potty - I am 160lb over my "1145 Max cargo". The ride-rites only needed to go to 60lb to level us out - their limit is 100lb. Getting 12 to 14 mpg so I don't think I am stressing anything too much.

Of course now that I am looking into it, the wife is stressing about it.

Another question that I saw a comment about - what air pressure in the stock tires? - Take them up from the cold pressure of 29psi on the door - the dealership set them 32psi last time and right now they are 35 psi cold.

So still would like to hear feedback based on this new info.

Thanks all

9. Jul 26, 2017 at 2:29 PM
    Toyko Joe

Member:
    I think you're doing the right thing as far as shifting is concerned.
    Weight distribution I think you're fine too.
    As far as tires go, verify speed rating of the trailer tires and their required pressure. Tire pressure should be measured warm for optimal performance.
    In addition to your trailer tires your truck tires should be verified of their optimal pressure.

Have you been checking your trailer wheel bearings temperature? They should be warm to the touch but not hot after traveling at speed.

I also feel like I may have missed something in the conversation because you said: 'The really weird part of this, I've put on 6000 miles with this configuration' which leads me to believe that now your shifting is different?

My $.02 :thumbsup:

10. Jul 26, 2017 at 2:58 PM
    anonemoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Big Pine, Calif
    Vehicle:
    Got the trailer tires optimized, use an infrared temp gauge at every gas stop, repack every 10,000 miles, keep a spare set in the toolbox.
    Rated at 70mph, getting a new set next year, there are new one out that are better. This all came out reading about the total GVW, I had always thought it was a lot higher limit, then I started thinking and then I thunk too much.

I haven't changed the load and adding more to the tongue made me start thinking. Is too much weight bad, then started to weigh things and I see that I have been 150 to 200 pounds over GVW over the past couple years. That is the 'did not change anything', I've been running over weight almost since I got the truck. But I have been better about using 4th. It is hard, you stop, forget and start out in D, got to figure a warning sign for my forgetful mind.

Yeah, after reading I checked the manual, no info but I trust TW and common sense, I tow in 4th now. Looking back, not much change in mpg.

Just a bit worried about that total weight. I'd leave the dog home and be a lot closer but then the wife would leave me home and take her dog, weight would be perfect then....

11. Jul 26, 2017 at 3:06 PM
    Toyko Joe

Member:
    upload_2017-7-26_17-5-31.jpg
    I think I am finally understanding your question.
    GVW = Occupants + Stuff (in truck, bed and mounted) + Tongue weight

GCWR = (GVW - tongue weight) + Trailer weight

You might have to move some of your cargo into your trailer to meet your GVW. That being said, you have enhanced your load carrying capacity and this is not configured into your GVW rating so this is kind of a grey area for me.
    Your GCWR should be 7500# based off what you have told me.
    Hope this helps

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  12. Jul 26, 2017 at 3:27 PM
    anonemoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Big Pine, Calif
    Vehicle:
    I am way under the combined weight, it is the payload weight, my door sticker has max 1145 lb and I am at 1350 lb - anything I can do to help that extra weight. Got the ride-rites, can play with truck tire air pressure, can watch the tx temp with the scan gauge. I have towed it at this load weight for 6000 miles but now looking at it thru clearer eyes.

Can't move anything to trailer - teardrop no room.

This is my retirement truck, plan on driving it until I die.

13. Jul 26, 2017 at 3:35 PM
    Toyko Joe

Member:
    My opinion for as much as it is worth...
    You are totally in the safety factor zone (especially because of the ride-rite).
    You could safely move some items into your trailer instead of the truck to be within the rating of the tires/ GVW for the truck.
    Re-register your trailer for a higher (2000#) GVW so that it is also legal.

14. Jul 26, 2017 at 4:37 PM
    anonemoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Big Pine, Calif
    Vehicle:
    Trailer axle is a Dexter 2000 - rated for 2200 pounds, don't put anything inside trailer as we want it empty except for the bed so we can pull over and sleep as needed anywhere, anytime. Open the hatch, make coffee, on our way. It has a stove, refrig, sink and water.

I figure being only a few % over on the total payload should not be an issue but wanted to see if others had done it. No issues doing it. Like I said, I have already driven at the overloaded weight, just to dumb to know better. Going to Alaska next year, hope the Canadians don't weigh us.

Toyko Joe likes this.
  15. Jul 30, 2017 at 6:41 AM
    tacoma98042

tacoma98042 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hoping someone can help me out with my towing situation. Full disclosure, I am new to towing a trailer.

So while towing my travel trailer, I feel a sensation like the trailer behind the truck is moving from front to back. Not so much swaying from side to side. Also feels like the trailer is moving up and down where the hitch is at. Just doesn't feel very stable to me considering I am way under the Toyota recommended towing capacity. Maybe the tongue weight is to light?

Specs:
    2016 Tacoma V6 w/ tow package
    Tekonsha p3 brake controller
    Curt loaded ball mount (7500/750)
    Stowaway hitch tightener

2017 r-pod 177
    Roughly 2650lbs
    245 tongue weight (according to forest river's website)

I attached a picture, might be hard to see but the trailer sits pretty level with the truck.

Any help or suggestions??

Thanks in advance!

IMG_0776.jpg

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  16. Jul 30, 2017 at 6:52 AM
    anonemoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Big Pine, Calif
    Vehicle:
  17. Jul 30, 2017 at 8:47 AM
    JSouthworth

JSouthworth Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Versailles, KY
    Vehicle:
    2007 Dark Blue V6 Tacoma Double Cab TRD 4x4 OffRoad
    is this the same for 2007 tacomas? I have a DC 4x4 V6 with tow package. Would I have a GCWR of 11,100 lbs as well? Where did you get this picture from?

18. Jul 30, 2017 at 9:01 PM
    LeftCoastNerd

LeftCoastNerd Old 'nuff to know betta

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Santa Cruz, California
    Vehicle:
    08 AC 4x4 OR 6sp
    those numbers look the same as my 2008.

if you're feeling 'porpoising' over bumps/dips towing your trailer, where the front of the truck bounces up and down a a few times, a WDH (Weight Distributing Hitch) will help immensely. I needed one towing a 2200 lb empty, 3500 lb max Casita 16' behind my 08 AC 4x4 v6 w/ factory tow. I suspect the TRD Off Road suspension and tall tires amplify the bumps. I don't feel much fore-aft surging, but I have a stick shfit, dunno if taht affects it any. the best WDH is the Anderson one, like this, https://www.amazon.com/3324-Andersen-No-sway-Weight-Distribution/dp/B009V70ZP8

wd-hitch-4in-w-frame-1[1].jpg

19. Jul 31, 2017 at 7:55 AM
    Toyko Joe

Member:
    http://cdn.dealereprocess.com/cdn/brochures/toyota/2008-tacoma.pdf
    Pg 29
    It appears that with the tow package you can in fact have a have a GCWR of 11,000#.

20. Aug 3, 2017 at 4:59 PM
    el_smurfo

el_smurfo Well-Known Member

Member:
    I created another thread before finding this one, but my experience is exactly like yours. About the same or lighter weight trailer, decent tongue weight, felt just a little more bouncy than I would like. In so many of the tow posts, folks will say they tow 5000lbs with no issues, so I wonder if there's a sweet spot with a smaller trailers that make the floppy OffRoad springs more active.

Products Discussed in

To Top