1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The Tactical Panda's Sometimes Funny Great White Money Pit Build and Observations on Life thread.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by Tactical_Panda, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Sep 13, 2020 at 8:42 AM
    Tactical_Panda

Tactical_Panda [OP] Armchair Anarchist

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma Double Cab, Off-Road Edition
    AJT Designs Shifter AJT Designs Battery Hold-Down ARB Awning 2500x2500 ARB Twin Compressor w/ Slee Offroad Mounting Bracket Avid Brush Bar Avid Step Bars Black Rock Wheels Series 997 Type 8 Circuit Breaker/Relay Panel Custom TRD Decals Bulletproof Fabricating Raptor Grill Bulletproof Fabricating Cooling Panel Bulletproof Fabricating Tow Hook Duluth Trading Company Dog Hammock Exhaust Breather Mod eBay Special 3-Gallon Air Tank Expedition Essentials TPAM EZ Down tailgate damper Flagpole Mounts, Dual Foglight Mod Front Camera Rear Camera; full time available General Grabber tires Goat Armor Hella Supertone Horns Iggy Switch Panel Icon Dynamics Stage 3 Suspension Katskin Leather Interior KickAss camp shower LED Bed Lights LED Interior Lights Midland MXT275 GMRS Two-Way Radio OEM Audio Plus Reference 500 audio upgrade Plano Cases. 42" roof mounted, X2 Pop-N-Lock Tailgate Handle Prinsu Cab Rack Prinsu-like Shell Rack Redline Tuning Hood Struts Rigid Industries 40" Light Bar Rigid Industries Ditch Lights Rigid Industries Spotlights Toyota Bed Step UltraGauge EM Plus v1.4 Vixen Air Horns, Four-Trumpet Whole bunch of decals worth about 5HP each Yakima Road Shower, 10-gal
    Not knowing any better at the time, I just ditched the cover. I don't know where it is.

As far as results go, this is not a mod you do to enhance performance. The factory filter is made out of foam rubber and will deteriorate after a while. This is a replacement that will not deteriorate.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    Pibbles99[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Sep 14, 2020 at 4:33 AM
    Tactical_Panda

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    AJT Designs Shifter AJT Designs Battery Hold-Down ARB Awning 2500x2500 ARB Twin Compressor w/ Slee Offroad Mounting Bracket Avid Brush Bar Avid Step Bars Black Rock Wheels Series 997 Type 8 Circuit Breaker/Relay Panel Custom TRD Decals Bulletproof Fabricating Raptor Grill Bulletproof Fabricating Cooling Panel Bulletproof Fabricating Tow Hook Duluth Trading Company Dog Hammock Exhaust Breather Mod eBay Special 3-Gallon Air Tank Expedition Essentials TPAM EZ Down tailgate damper Flagpole Mounts, Dual Foglight Mod Front Camera Rear Camera; full time available General Grabber tires Goat Armor Hella Supertone Horns Iggy Switch Panel Icon Dynamics Stage 3 Suspension Katskin Leather Interior KickAss camp shower LED Bed Lights LED Interior Lights Midland MXT275 GMRS Two-Way Radio OEM Audio Plus Reference 500 audio upgrade Plano Cases. 42" roof mounted, X2 Pop-N-Lock Tailgate Handle Prinsu Cab Rack Prinsu-like Shell Rack Redline Tuning Hood Struts Rigid Industries 40" Light Bar Rigid Industries Ditch Lights Rigid Industries Spotlights Toyota Bed Step UltraGauge EM Plus v1.4 Vixen Air Horns, Four-Trumpet Whole bunch of decals worth about 5HP each Yakima Road Shower, 10-gal
  3. Sep 14, 2020 at 11:56 AM
    floodedkiwi

floodedkiwi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Naw'lins, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2019 GMC AT4
    Dog.

4. Sep 19, 2020 at 3:27 AM
    Tactical_Panda

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    Me and the Dog are in Atlanta this weekend for the Atlanta Takeover event.

Pictures to come.

floodedkiwi likes this.
  5. Sep 21, 2020 at 9:10 AM
    Tactical_Panda

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    The Dog and I attended the Atlanta Takeover event at Stone Mountain, GA over the weekend. The Tactical Panda was the Belle of the Ball. Lots of oohs and ahhs from total strangers. The owner of Xenon Depot*com was there and he was so impressed that he gave me a free set of LED fog light bulbs and even installed them for me right there on the spot!

He asked me to give him a walk-around of my truck and trailer while his videographer recorded the whole thing. The video should be up on YouTube later this week.

Stay tuned.

ATLTO-01.jpg

floodedkiwi and ACEkraut like this.
  6. Sep 22, 2020 at 9:48 AM
    Tactical_Panda

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    Atlanta Takeover 2020
    ATO.jpg

Kolter45 and floodedkiwi like this.
  7. Sep 24, 2020 at 5:59 AM
    Tactical_Panda

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    Well, I hate to say it but I'm thinking about selling my Overland Trailer. It has become just too much of a money pit to keep it going on my retirement income.

Last weekend's trip to Atlanta was a real eye-opener. I spent $160 just in gasoline for the trip down there and back (1200 mile round trip). That trailer has so much drag on it that it really tore into my gas mileage. I think I got about 11-12mpg.

And if that is any indicator, then there is no way I'm ever going to be able to afford going on an extended multi-day cross country trip which was the goal of this whole exercise to begin with. And when I factor in food and everything else it's just too rich for my blood.

I have not decided 100% if I'm selling it or not, but it's leaning in that direction.

P.S. And please don't start asking me questions like "How much do you want for it?" Thanks.

8. Sep 24, 2020 at 1:00 PM
    floodedkiwi

floodedkiwi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Naw'lins, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2019 GMC AT4
    Dog.
    Man, I understand that sentiment for sure...

Good luck with whatever your decision will be :cheers:

9. Sep 25, 2020 at 4:24 PM
    Tactical_Panda

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    Here's the video I promised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__VbYwgHczM

floodedkiwi likes this.
  10. Sep 25, 2020 at 4:32 PM
    Tactical_Panda

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    Some friends said "Well, just keep it and go camping somewhere close to you" but the whole point of this project was to be able to go on long-distance trips to the western U.S. I want to see things like Mt. Rushmore, Custer Battlefield, The Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, and a whole bunch of National Parks. I want to meet some of my E-Friends that I have known on Social Media but never met in person.

I can't do that locally.

I started an Instagram page where I have begun to document my builds and my adventures. And I added a PayPal link to collect donations if anyone is so inclined to contribute, but I'm not expecting a lot.

https://www.instagram.com/wvmontani/

11. Oct 24, 2020 at 4:59 PM
    Tactical_Panda

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
  12. Dec 22, 2020 at 5:37 PM
    Tactical_Panda

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    LocoLocal likes this.
  13. Jan 11, 2021 at 8:53 AM
    Tactical_Panda

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    LocoLocal likes this.
  14. Feb 20, 2021 at 3:48 PM
    Tactical_Panda

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    I was bored so I created some art.

Tacoma Owners.jpg

Kolter45 and jsucraig like this.
  15. Mar 23, 2021 at 5:48 PM
    Tactical_Panda

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    OK. So right now my life is in a serious stage of Suck. My mom, who is slowly drifting into Alzheimer's, is in a rehabilitation facility recovering from pneumonia, my dad is in the hospital suffering from a severe attack of vertigo along with a compression fracture of the L2 vertebrae that he got when he took a fall, and yesterday my Heat Pump went tits up.

16. Mar 23, 2021 at 5:56 PM
    buyobuyo

buyobuyo Read The Fucking Manual

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Camden, AR
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5, I4, Manual, Silver
    A thing or two...
    That sucks. Sorry to hear it.

17. Mar 24, 2021 at 11:30 AM
    ACEkraut

ACEkraut Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Topsham, Maine
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD Off Road
    One day at a time.....My mom broke and dislocated her ankle on November 10th of last year. My Dad passed away on Thanksgiving. My mom was in rehab until mid December and then has required help at home since then from initially 24/7 to now once or twice a week for a day or so. She just drove for the first time again yesterday for a half mile. Trying to figure out living arrangements for my mom and also help out my neighbor who is going to retire and sell her home but is in no shape to physically do much of anything and has no relatives that are close either personally or living close by.

Breathe deep, tackle one obstacle at a time, ask for help. Accept it when it is offered, even if it is not quite what you need. Best of luck. Vent here when inevitably things don't go quite as planned.

18. Apr 4, 2021 at 2:53 PM
    Tactical_Panda

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    Update:

They did an MRI and now they are saying Dad had a small stroke and not vertigo. He is currently in the same Rehab facility as my mom now.

And we found a place for them. It's an assisted living facility back in our home town of Morgantown WV. My brother still lives there so he can look after them.

ACEkraut[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Apr 18, 2021 at 4:07 PM
    Tactical_Panda

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
  20. May 11, 2021 at 7:08 AM
    Tactical_Panda

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    Finally! An update.

When pulling my overland trailer I often have trouble seeing what is going on behind me. My truck's rearview mirror is partially blocked by the pillars on the trailer that support the RTT. So how do I get a better view of what's going on back there when driving?

The solution (for me, anyhow) was to install this AUTO-VOX Solar Wireless Backup Camera system.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08B1BFRNX?ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

The installation is so simple that even your boss could do it.

The system consists of two parts: In rearview camera/battery/solar charger and in display module for inside the cab.

This is the display module. Is comes with a suction-cup windshield mount but I instead ordered some RAM mount pieces so I could install it on my Expedition Essentials TPAM system. The most difficult part of the install was hiding the power supply cable.

Camera Screen.jpg

Here is the camera unit.

It easily mounts behind your license plate. The camera is on top and the solar-charged battery is at the bottom. No wiring, no muss, no fuss. The camera transmits the video signal (digital; not analog) to the receiver in the cab.

Camera Rear.jpg

Now how cool is that?

Michigan Mark06 likes this.
To Top