1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The Tour

Discussion in 'North West' started by Blackdawg, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Jul 18, 2017 at 10:24 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg [OP] Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    The Tour
    Planning thread
    Sept 2017

The Tour.jpg
    This is the planning thread for a 2 week adventure across Southern Montana and North West Wyoming.

START DATE: September 17th. Will be meeting in Big Timber at Iron Star Pizza(hopefully)
    TRAILS:

There...are a lot. But here is a quick run down.

-Independence pass in Montana.
    -Goose Lake trail
    -Sun Light Basin Road
    -Big pryor Mountain and East Pryor Mountain
    -Medicine Wheel
    -Copeman's Tomb
    -Woodchuck Pass
    -Boulder Basin
    -Kerwin
    -Shoshone Lake
    -Christina Lake

COOL SHIT WE WILL SEE:

-Old Mines
    -Old Homesteads
    -Wild Horses
    -Ice Cave
    -Indian Religious Site
    -Petroglyphs
    -Dinosaur Tracks
    -Abandoned Town
    -Ancient Volcano

ITINERARY:
    NOTE! This is very loose. Things change all the time and we play it loose. Not promising we will see everything or get to everything.

Meet up in Big Timber the afternoon of the 17th. Find camping south of Big Timber that night.

Monday 18th- Run Independance pass and hike(those that want too) Monument Peak. Camp at Blue lake or at camp sites below trail.

Tuesday 19th- Drive to Red Lodge, eat lunch at Mas Taco(optional). Drive up the Bear Tooth Highway(HWY 212) to Cooke City. Refuel and drive north to camp below Wolverine Peak.

Wednesday 20th-Explore the area, top out Fisher Peak and Sheep Mountain. Drive into Goose Lake to camp for the night

Thursday 21st- Drive out of Goose Lake and head to Sun Light Basin down HWY196. Find camping in Sun Light.

Friday 22nd- Drive out of Sun Light and over Dead Indian Pass. Hit Highway 120 north to Bridger Montana. Head East to the Pryor Mountains. Find camp.

Saturday 23rd- Drive up and over Big Pryor Mountain to Ice Cave. Drive down East Pryor see Wild Horses. Stop at Devil Canyon Overlook. Head up into the Big Horns for camp(possibly below mountains).

Sunday 24th- Drive to Medicine Wheel. Drive Hunt Mountain Road over to Copemans Tomb. Hike to edge of tomb cliff. Camp either at Copemans or drive off down to Red Grade for Camping at Moran Creek(time dependent)

Monday 25th- Drive Ranger Creek Road head up to Shell Reservoir. Run Boulder basin(Rough!) up and out. Head to Paint Rock Lakes. Camp below Lakes.

Tuesday 26th- Head down Big Horns to Hyatville. see Pictographs. Drive North on Red Gulch Road to Dinosaur tracks(dusty!). Head across the Basin to Meeteetse and drive into Kerwin(Major water crossings) to camp.

Wednesday 27th- Explore Kerwin(on foot). Drive out to Lander through Wind River Canyon. Meet up with Lander Locals(Hi Marc/Jen/Brett/Heather! :wave: ) Camp in park in town or head up to Forest(time dependent)

Thursday 28th- Run Christina or Shoshone Lake(will decide on trip). Camp at lake or trail head.

Friday 29th- Come out of Christina/Shoshone and run the other. Camp at lake or trail head.

Saturday 30th- Head to Killpecker Sand Dunes/Boars tusk in time allows.

Sunday 31st- If your still here...you live here.

IMPORTANT NOTES:

As you probably noticed, this trip is late in the year. ANYTHING is possible in the Rocky Mountains. I've wheeled at 9000' around these trails in Nov with little snow. I've also had 2' of snow dump over night in September.

BE PREPARED FOR SNOW AND COLD!

Bring cold gear like coats, gloves and boots as well as shovels and sleeping gear for cold nights. We will be at 9000' or higher several times for this trip.

On top of that, if we are in an area like Goose Lake all cozy around the campfire and a big snow storm starts. We are leaving. I don't care what time it is. We are not staying to risk getting snowed in miles from any help.

But the otherwise is it could absolutely beautiful. Ive been in most these areas during September(hunting season!) and it can be perfect. Just come prepared.

On that note...

"RULES":

Okay i don't have any real rules..i can't make anyone do anything. So more like Guide lines id appreciate everyone follow.

1) We are all in it together. As in, we are all doing this for generally the same reasons. To get away from busy life and enjoy some fun driving, camping, and sights with great company. This also means if someone gets hurt, or damages their rig. We all help how we can. Your tools/parts/gear should be considered OUR tools/parts/gear. I know that often goes without saying but just wanna put it out there.

2)Respect everyone. We do this to get away from drama, not to create it(despite my constant explosions). So chill. Breath the fresh air and enjoy the moment :)

Thats pretty much it. Lets have a good time!

How do I come?:

As much as I would like to have 20 tacomas or more come on this, it just isn't possible. A lot of the areas have limited camping room. So I am limiting this to 8 rigs at any given time.

That said!

Getting 2 weeks off is not feasible for most. So if you only plan on coming for a week, let me know! You can track us online via APRS so it is easy to see where we will be.

Some people have been invited before hand. I will have a list of ''slots open". If no one comes, no problem :)

Mike and I both run APRS so it is easy to track us online to intercept us. So you can join whenever you are able!

Gear/Rig Prep:

Almost all of this trip is doable with a truck on 32s. Even 31s really. But 33s are recomemend for some of the trails.
    Sliders are highly recommended though not just as armor but as recovery points.
    CB Radio is required. Not kidding. If you don't have one, get one.
    COLD GEAR!! Seriously. It could get very cold. Who knows though these days.
    5 gal of extra gas minimum! We won't see a gas station for 4 days in the Pryor/Big Horn section
    Full size spare, lots of rough tire killing roads here

Thats it for basic gear. Of course all the other cool shit is always great. But don't feel like you need to spend 10 grand on the truck suddenly for this...because you don't.

That's it! Who's ready for an adventure?? :goingcrazy:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    Phoosa, jubei, hoverlover and 7 others like this.
  2. Jul 18, 2017 at 10:28 PM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    ChadsPride and joshipps like this.
  3. Jul 18, 2017 at 10:40 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    :woot: 60 days and counting.

Blackdawg[OP] likes this.
  4. Jul 18, 2017 at 10:43 PM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    Damn..really not that far.

I gotta order a diff for frank tonight

Digiratus[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Jul 18, 2017 at 10:46 PM
    drr

drr Primary Prognosticator

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Seattle-ish
    Vehicle:
    02 4WD Tacoma
    This sounds pretty awesome - I think I could swing the first week. Put me down as a maybe until I can check my school schedule.

Digiratus and Blackdawg[OP] like this.
  6. Jul 18, 2017 at 10:47 PM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    Done

7. Jul 18, 2017 at 10:54 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    So this will definitely be a Frank trip eh? I'm not surprised. Other rigs with dirtyfives will be there. :rolleyes:

8. Jul 18, 2017 at 10:57 PM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    Dude...i miss driving frank. I "put" around town with him every now and then...more like floor it everwhere i go. So fun.

Im fixing him damn it. Before this trip.

9. Jul 18, 2017 at 10:57 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    Blackdawg[OP] likes this.
  10. Jul 18, 2017 at 10:58 PM
    Dalandser

Dalandser ¡Me Gustan Las Tacos-mas!

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Regular Cab / 98 4x4 Extra Cab
    Empty Wallet Mod
    I'm down in 3 years :)

11. Jul 18, 2017 at 10:59 PM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    :laugh:

you bet!!

Dalandser[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Jul 18, 2017 at 11:03 PM
    Dalandser

Dalandser ¡Me Gustan Las Tacos-mas!

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Regular Cab / 98 4x4 Extra Cab
    Empty Wallet Mod
    My new truck will be ready. Looks like a fun adventure :mudding:

Blackdawg[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  13. Jul 18, 2017 at 11:06 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    lol

14. Jul 18, 2017 at 11:06 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    I get it. I was just poking fun.

And tell me more about this. Saturday 30th- Head to Killpecker Sand Dunes/Boars tusk in time allows.

Doable in one day or is it a go in one day come back out the 2nd day. Also, where exactly is the area? Near Lander?

15. Jul 18, 2017 at 11:12 PM
    Bennett707

Bennett707 Station707

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    No more taco life for me
    holy guacamole

Digiratus and Blackdawg[OP] like this.
  16. Jul 18, 2017 at 11:14 PM
    Bennett707

Bennett707 Station707

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    No more taco life for me
  17. Jul 18, 2017 at 11:17 PM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    South of lander. Few routes to it really. the fun way is the route Marc plotted two years ago. The fast way is over the pass to Farson then south to Rock Springs.

Easy to see it on the way south, least the boar tusk. Like 14miles off the highway.

Good man :thumbsup:

18. Jul 18, 2017 at 11:23 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    Trying to figure out if I can stay for that.

19. Jul 18, 2017 at 11:25 PM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    Probably put you back home on Monday afternoon/evening..

20. Jul 18, 2017 at 11:32 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    haha. Yup. Looks like Boise is about halfway between Rock Springs and home. Hmmm....

I'll think more about that tomorrow.

Blackdawg[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
To Top