1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

the truck is running hot..

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by .Trdtaco315., Feb 24, 2011.

1. Feb 24, 2011 at 3:22 PM
    .Trdtaco315.

.Trdtaco315. [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Santa ana
    Vehicle:
    03 Trd SR5 Prerunner
    sup guys, my truck is running hotter than normal. and a few weeks ago my chicks car over heated and just totally F'ed up her car. i dont want the same problems. what should i do? what should i check? i was gunna flush my radiatoor myself but i dont distilled water nor a pump. well any help would be great thanks.

2. Feb 24, 2011 at 3:40 PM
    beefcake

beefcake J-rob

Member:
    First Name:
    J-Rob
    Central California
    Vehicle:
    98 4WD V6
    Debadged,Deck Plate mod, Helix throttle body spacer, magnaflow two chamber, smoked corner marker lamps, cb radio, smoked headlights, grillcraft mesh grill, URD short throw shifter, ultagauge, billstein 5100 front struts, spidertrax 1.25 spacers on all four
    When was the last time your water pump and/or thermostat was changed? these are the usual suspects when talking about overheating....
    If you think you need to flush your radiator you can go down to your auto parts store and pick up the prestone brand radiator flush. Use a turkey baster to extract fluid from your radiator (enough for the prestone radiator flush) dump that into your radiator and drive around for a few days. Once you're done that, completely drain your radiator and fill it with fresh coolant/water

Hope this helps

3. Feb 24, 2011 at 3:57 PM
    .Trdtaco315.

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Santa ana
    Vehicle:
    03 Trd SR5 Prerunner
    hey thanks man. i havent had any major replacements since ive bought the truck. its has about 135k on it. you think its the water pump?

4. Feb 24, 2011 at 4:09 PM
    beefcake

beefcake J-rob

Member:
    First Name:
    J-Rob
    Central California
    Vehicle:
    98 4WD V6
    Debadged,Deck Plate mod, Helix throttle body spacer, magnaflow two chamber, smoked corner marker lamps, cb radio, smoked headlights, grillcraft mesh grill, URD short throw shifter, ultagauge, billstein 5100 front struts, spidertrax 1.25 spacers on all four
    it's a possibility, i have 184k on mine and i dont think it's ever been replaced (i plan to replace it this summer) I used the prestone radiator flush on my truck last year because i had a block in my heater core, cleaned it right up.

5. Feb 24, 2011 at 4:45 PM
    .Trdtaco315.

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Santa ana
    Vehicle:
    03 Trd SR5 Prerunner
    i think im gunna do it. cuz ive never flushed it out.

6. Feb 24, 2011 at 5:28 PM
    beefcake

beefcake J-rob

Member:
    First Name:
    J-Rob
    Central California
    Vehicle:
    98 4WD V6
    flushing is a cheap way to check if it really is bad coolant that you have and in any case it is the water pump you'll have to change fluid anyways so what im saying is that it cant hurt to try

7. Feb 24, 2011 at 7:45 PM
    Tacomadude89

Tacomadude89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austen
    California
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma TRD SR5, 3.4, 5spd
    -Bilstein 5100 Series shocks on all 4 corners -Rancho HD lift coils -1/4" Toytec driverside top plate spacer -Toytec 1" diff drop -Wheelers 1.5" AAL's -Toytec 1" lift shackles -Revtek extended length BPV bracket -285/75/16 BFG KO T/A's -Pro Comp rims -ET Conical tyle lug nuts -Spidertrax 1.5" wheel Spacers -CV Boot slide mod -TRD skid plate -Magnaflow 14" round muffler -Shortened tailpipe hidden behind framerail -Toyota bug deflector -Weathertech floormats -Black leather seat covers -Valentine 1 Radar Detector
    If your waterpump hasn't been done and it's way past due, there's a very good chance it could be the culprit of the leak.

To Top