1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The ultimate foglight upgrade H11 (not LED or HID)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by crashnburn80, Jun 4, 2016.

1. Mar 15, 2018 at 10:29 PM
    crashnburn80

crashnburn80 [OP] Vehicle Design Engineer

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Yes for the fogs. Your 2nd gen takes H4s for the headlights. Take a look at this thread, stock wattage upgrades listed near the end.
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/the-ultimate-headlight-upgrade-h4-not-led-or-hid.398066/

If you are looking for stock wattage the Philips Xtreme +130 or Philips Racing +150 would be good choices.

2. Mar 19, 2018 at 7:32 AM
    silasvirus82

silasvirus82 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NC
    Vehicle:
    3rd Gen Off-Road DCLB
    Hobie Fishing Edition
    I bought some LED amber bulbs before I really read much about lighting, and now realize it isn't going to work for me. Luckily I'm only out $20. I still want yellow fogs, and I'm not spending $350 on Bajas, but I need something that actually works. Would you go with one of these posted options or upgrade the bulbs w/harness and install a yellow filter. Also, there is a big difference in price between the Rallylights harness and others marketed towards HID conversions, and I was wondering if there is anything different between the two other than gauge of wire and quality of connectors? I'm not looking for the "Ultimate", just an improvement with an amber glow. Thanks in advance!

3. Mar 19, 2018 at 8:04 PM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    As you realize drop in LEDs are certainly the wrong approach.

Just to cover a couple points:

Even if you went with the Baja lights, they do not produce lights with a fog beam pattern so they would be unsafe for street use and not effective as fog lights. Their wide cornering beam emits significant light above what would be a horizon, which will blind oncoming drivers and produce significant glare to yourself in fog.

Yellow lenses on LEDs are also a poor performing option. A yellow lens is a filter to filter out white/blue light and let yellow light through. Putting a yellow filter to filter out white light on a light source of primary white light with little yellow light is really going to hurt output.

Halogens on the other hand produce lots of yellow light, which is why many do not like them, but are then less affected by a yellow filter than LED.

Yellow filter on the bulb vs yellow filter on the lens has the same net result. They are both filters just applied differently. Applying it on the lens gives you more bulb flexibility but arguably less durability.

When looking at a wiring performance improvement for halogens, the big factor is wire gauge. The larger the gauge (smaller AWG) the smaller the voltage drop and the brighter the bulb burns. An HID kit is meant to isolate the factory system from a power spike at bulb startup, not for sustained high current draw like halogen. Remember HIDs use less power than stock. Most the HID wire kits are around 16-18 AWG. Rallylights is 12 AWG for maximum sustained draw performance. I know Headlight Services offers a 14 AWG for less than Rallylights, you’d have to contact Mike at Headlight Services for pricing.

All coatings reduce output, so I don’t run coatings. But if you wanted to run yellow fogs, I’m not a personal fan of the concept of a lens film. I’d rather have the lens as durable as possible and the coating on the bulb protected inside the assembly. So I’d look at a quality yellow bulb with a harness from Headlight Setvices if you want to up the voltage at a lower cost than Rallylights. I’ll check on the H9 bulb with the H11 glare cap status. That would be the other option with a lens film which will produce brighter output than an stock wattage H11 yellow bulb on a harness.

silasvirus82[QUOTED] and Norton like this.
  4. Mar 20, 2018 at 7:20 AM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    I checked and the H9 with the H11 glare cap are not available yet. Waiting to hear back on an updated ETA.

silasvirus82 likes this.
  5. Mar 20, 2018 at 7:36 AM
    silasvirus82

silasvirus82 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NC
    Vehicle:
    3rd Gen Off-Road DCLB
    Hobie Fishing Edition
    I see where you are going with this. If I decide to go with a H11 bulb in the meantime, would adding a harness drastically change the output? It seems to me that system is made for 55W, which I assume the Toyota OEM wiring is suitable. Also, I wonder how the yellow film would hold up to the higher wattage/temp H9 configuration.

6. Mar 20, 2018 at 8:18 PM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Drastically at stock wattage, not really. Toyota’s wiring is good, but there is still room for improvement. A good harness will net you a fraction of a volt, which while sounding small may get to a 10-15% improvement. The headlight upgrade was measured at 0.4v improvement I think. Look at the chart on headlight services page to see how that helps output:
    http://www.headlightservices.com/Wiring.html

Stock fogs are 55w, an H9 will be 65w, so I wouldn’t anticipate a big temp increase to where laminex would not be useable. I’ll measure it with an IR temp gun when they come in. I wouldn’t use laminex on a high wattage bulb.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  7. Mar 21, 2018 at 8:55 AM
    ScenicCityOverland

ScenicCityOverland Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Vehicle:
    2015 Inferno Orange Tacoma TRD Pro
    Anyone have trouble plugging the Flosser bulbs into the stock harness? I haven't got the new harness in yet but I wanted to at least play with the new bulbs. The plug looks the same, but the plastic that separates the two pins is longer in the new bulbs and won't allow it to plug into the channel on my stock harness.

8. Mar 21, 2018 at 9:03 AM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    I haven’t tried plugging them into the OEM harness. Be advised running both them on the OEM setup will put you right at the fuse rating and possibly blow the fuse.

Norton likes this.
  9. Mar 21, 2018 at 9:06 AM
    ScenicCityOverland

ScenicCityOverland Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Vehicle:
    2015 Inferno Orange Tacoma TRD Pro
    No doubt. But since I had them I wanted to try. lol

10. Mar 21, 2018 at 8:49 PM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    H9 bulbs with H11 glare caps are 20 days or less out. Will post once they are available.

Norton, jet123 and BenMara like this.
  11. Mar 21, 2018 at 10:18 PM
    jet123

jet123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ft Collins
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB
    Thanks for testing on this. Look forward to the results as my Apex 2x3 Amber LEDs (now Cali Raised) do not even produce a discernable beam spot at 25ft. I set the height and width at a distance of about 12ft as that's the limit to the discernable beam spot.

crashnburn80[OP] likes this.
  12. Apr 1, 2018 at 7:05 PM
    isellfarms

isellfarms Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC OFF-ROAD
    Dakar leaf pack TRD Pro Suspension Firestone Airbags with Daystar Cradles XD127Bully Wheels 265/75R16 Cooper Discoverer STT PRO RIGID SideShooter Pros on Zroads brackets
    I want to order the headlight and foglight upgrades but the website says:(NOT for DRL or factory fog lamp equipped vehicles).
    My truck has stock fog lights...are they just referring to stock bulbs or am I missing something?

(NOT for DRL or factory fog lamp equiped vehicles)
    $93.50

13. Apr 1, 2018 at 7:09 PM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    That is referring to vehicles that use h11s for headlights at reduced power for DRLs. Because the relay is either on or off, it does not have the ability to operate at partial power. It has no affect on our fogs as they do not operate at partial power.

14. Apr 1, 2018 at 7:12 PM
    isellfarms

isellfarms Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC OFF-ROAD
    Dakar leaf pack TRD Pro Suspension Firestone Airbags with Daystar Cradles XD127Bully Wheels 265/75R16 Cooper Discoverer STT PRO RIGID SideShooter Pros on Zroads brackets
    Will I need to buy two harnesses? One for headlights and another for the fog lights? I presume the item thats listed under the 4runner option is the correct harness? sorry for allll the questions lol . thanks in advance!

15. Apr 1, 2018 at 7:20 PM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Correct, the headlights and fogs require separate harnesses. Which one are you looking at under 4runner? Headlight Services or Rallylights?

New glare capped H9 bulbs are supposedly 10 days out. I'll be trying them as soon as they are available and comparing to the 90w Flossers. They would not require a harness like the 90w Flossers, however a harness would still improve performance.

16. Apr 1, 2018 at 7:22 PM
    isellfarms

isellfarms Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC OFF-ROAD
    i was looking at headlight services. I was looking for the brightest white light without any blue tint. I saw something about the H9's, are they the latest and greatest?

17. Apr 1, 2018 at 7:53 PM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    I've hit standard Caliraised pods with a digital spectrometer. The vast majority of their light is in the blue spectrum, here you can see how their spectrum compares with the 90w halogen. The marker is placed at 595nm which is the center of the amber spectrum (570-620nm). For a given amount of light output, halogens produce double that of LED. So if you are filtering your LED to only allow amber light through, the output is going to be severely reduced.

You can also see the unfiltered pods put out massive amounts of blue light, which is not what you want in rain/snow/fog due to blue light's refraction causing surface glare on the moisture in the air. For poor weather you want more long wave length light, which is light on the right side of the chart, and less short wave length light which is the left side of the chart. Greater than 700nm is IR light which will keep the lens from icing over in cold weather.

fullsizeoutput_bd0.jpg

Norton and jet123[QUOTED] like this.
  18. Apr 1, 2018 at 7:57 PM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Ok, the 4runner harness is ground switched. With a 2012 I highly suspect you are conventionally switched, meaning you would want the harness from this page: http://www.headlightservices.com/Wiring.html

I suspect the H9s will be brighter and run cooler, but I like tested facts. I'll test them as soon as they are released.

19. Apr 1, 2018 at 8:35 PM
    jet123

jet123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ft Collins
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB
    Great info - thanks! I admittedly bought those pods as an impulse buy...live and learn! They are coming out in the near future and OEMs going back in. And then following this thread for a possible upgrade.

crashnburn80[OP] likes this.
  20. Apr 14, 2018 at 11:25 AM
    cwallachy

cwallachy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    SETX
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Window Tint, ICI Magnum RT Step Bars, Ballistic Canvas seat covers with Molle backs, RCI Bed Rack with CVT RTT, CBI ditch light brackets with Floods, Rear Channel Bed Stiffeners from Off Road Warehouse
    Get the H9's in yet? Still waiting to see what you think before replacing my heads. Still want to replace the fog's but not sure whether I want the Philips Xtreme +130 for stock yet or not.

To Top