1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The ultimate headlight upgrade H4 (not LED or HID)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by crashnburn80, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Aug 9, 2018 at 11:49 PM
    crashnburn80

crashnburn80 [OP] Vehicle Design Engineer

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    A while back @Yo'ta pinged me on these bulbs that seem to have similarity to the discontinued Osram Hyper 85/80w bulbs, the bulbs are Xencn Kablights 85/80w. While clearly Chinese with poor english translation, they do say 'German lighting technology' and claim longer range (meaning more precise filament like the Hypers) while also being over wattage in the same amount as the Hypers. The color temperature was also spec'd equivalent to the German Hypers. It did appear they could be a knock off/copy of the successful Osram product, and if so (while quality would be suspect) at $10/pair off eBay would be a good find. So, I decided for $10 to try them out. See them here.

Packaging
    First thing that should strike as suspicious, higher power and greater distance bulbs have shorter lifespan. The package claims higher power, greater distance and longer lifespan.
    fullsizeoutput_cf9.jpg

This is where things are a bit confusing. 'German lighting technology' and 'bulb base's place of origin: Germany'. Osram does have a Chinese factory, is someone counterfeiting their products? Is the German bulb base claim legitimate? And the base is pretty simple, so why spend more on a German base when the bulb is what matters most?
    fullsizeoutput_cfa.jpg

Xencn left vs Osram right.
    Might be difficult to see in the photo, but the Osram bulb has a thinner more precise filament, which is going to mean more intense hot spot. The Xencn bulb actually has better filament alignment and precision than the $90+ ARB bulbs, but the filament coils are thicker meaning more diluted hot spots. The Xencn bulb overall feels more 'tinny' with thinner materials and the base has a multi-piece attachment point for the bulbs tack welded together where as the German bulb uses a much more substantial single piece base.
    fullsizeoutput_cfd.jpg

Light comparison
    Osram left vs Xencn right
    9J5Id5XDSIuPeYEke0rj%w.jpg

The picture isn't great but the Osram has a more concentrated hotspot with greater intensity than the Xencn bulbs. In person it is clear the left sides hot spot is much hotter than the right.

Low beam output measured from 19ft:
    Osram Hyper: 1837 lux, color temp: 3400k
    Xencn Kablights: 1630 lux, color temp: 3200k

Now I was comparing the new Xencn bulb to a well used Osram bulb, so a new Osram would likely rate higher as halogen bulb output decreases over the life of the bulb. It is difficult to say what bulb life would be on the Xencn's, though they are certainly a more price friendly option. While I tested these against the Osram Hypers, the Hypers do outperform the Superbrights, but I do not have any Osram Superbrights on hand to compare against at this time.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    SaphiraTaco, Hartford, wdb and 2 others like this.
  2. Aug 11, 2018 at 9:32 PM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Mike at Headlight Services sent me a headlight harness for evaluation. Mike had explained how he will only use the highest quality parts, refuses to use Chinese relays in his builds and takes great pride in his work. My initial thought was that it is a wiring harness, aside from relays, how different can they be? All I can say is WOW! The attention to detail in his work is astounding.

You do not see raw wire, or wire connectors anywhere on this product. Everything is shrink wrapped and sealed. The fuses are even bent and non-equidistant to be off set from each other so they can sit more flush, while using higher end silicone/rubber fuse holders which are easier to operate. It also uses seperate fuses for high and low, whereas Rallylights combines everything into a single fuse, meaning if the single fuse were to blow you’d have no headlights.
    VZlI%VcKRc6HTRri2xIw9g.jpg

The relays are European made Bosch-Tyco TE relays.
    ZdATNJ3vQkGQgnTz%ltDRw.jpg

And to top it all off it included zip ties, a spare fuse, excellent install directions that were very clear and the wire loom is a more appealing black (vs grey from Rallylights).

To compare to the Rallylights build (this is used off my truck, so it is a little dirty, don't fault the product)
    Basic crimp battery terminal connectors, with exposed connections. The headlight harness plug connections are entirely exposed and open. The headlight plugs themselves (not pictured) used clip shut doors on the back of the plug to cover the connections, which are now both broke held shut by electrical tape.
    ejXZeaINTjOqnsZHDw3C1A.jpg

While Hella is certainly a quality name brand, they now produce their relays in China.
    1UVHNFTzQTytzxeuUq3iQw.jpg

While the Rallylights harness has served me well over the last 3+ years, the build quality is not up to that of the Headlight Services product. After seeing the outstanding build quality of the Headlight Services harness, it is readily apparent this is a product of passion. To top it all off the Headlight Services product is notably less expensive than the Rallylights harness while being better built with higher quality components.

I now run Mike's harness, which with the black loom is even more stealthy under my radiator shroud.
    wt6vNHRAQgy9+x7igwK3Jg.jpg

After reviewing the difference between these two headlight harnesses, seeing the exceptional quality of the Headlight Services product available at a lower price point making it a far better value, I am replacing the Rallylights harness as the recommended harness and promoting the Headlight Services harness as the better buy.

Here is a link to the Headlight Services harness:
    http://www.headlightservices.com/Wiring.html

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    crtx, Biscuits, robu and 10 others like this.
  3. Aug 12, 2018 at 1:13 AM
    BenMara

BenMara That Asian RedNeck

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Belton/Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC 4x4 SCed
    TRD Blower, Ham Radio, DBA T2 Rotors
    You just converted me to a purchase a new harness when funding permits..... and i will compare it to the painless harness i currently run.

crashnburn80[OP] likes this.
  4. Aug 12, 2018 at 1:20 AM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Painless harness? The Headlights Services harness is the highest quality I have seen, but if your existing harness works for you then I am not sure there is much reason to switch from a functionality standpoint.

BillsSR5 likes this.
  5. Aug 12, 2018 at 6:03 AM
    Unchained 5150

Unchained 5150 Rick

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn Ma
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Poser Pro Manual.
    This one is 89.50 correct?

6. Aug 12, 2018 at 8:55 AM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Correct. And I believe the shipping charges are better rates as well.

7. Aug 12, 2018 at 9:17 AM
    Unchained 5150

Unchained 5150 Rick

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn Ma
    Vehicle:
    Sweet thanks

8. Aug 12, 2018 at 2:28 PM
    BenMara

BenMara That Asian RedNeck

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Belton/Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC 4x4 SCed
    TRD Blower, Ham Radio, DBA T2 Rotors
    I just dont like an inferior products.... my current headlight harness WAS the best at that time... And i could use it else where for other duties..

9. Aug 12, 2018 at 3:23 PM
    Unchained 5150

Unchained 5150 Rick

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn Ma
    Vehicle:
    So this harness will make my Philips + 130's and new Night Breaker Laser + 150's brighter as well?

10. Aug 12, 2018 at 3:42 PM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Completely agree. The Headlight Services harness is the best quality I’ve seen.

Yep. Plug and play, and will allow you to run those high powered Osrams if you choose.

11. Aug 12, 2018 at 3:44 PM
    Unchained 5150

Unchained 5150 Rick

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn Ma
    Vehicle:
    Thanks again brother

12. Aug 12, 2018 at 5:23 PM
    JeffB

JeffB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    N.E. CT
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport
    Ok,I made the jump.
    I've had an Osram H4 sitting on my desk for months.
    Dark is coming.
    Kept looking at harnesses, I guess I have to try this one.

13. Aug 20, 2018 at 10:49 PM
    taco59

taco59 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    OC California
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black Tacoma TRD OR DCSB
    Just getting started
    Very good write up. Will be looking at doing this mod.

14. Aug 21, 2018 at 8:31 AM
    Glocker23

Glocker23 Drive fast take chances

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    Debadged, Tonneau cover, Grillcraft MX grill, OKLED 20" light bar in grill, Aero AT2525 muffler
    Which osram bulbs are you running with this kit. The brightest and safest.

I assume this is the proper kit for my 2012 Tacoma

I currently run piaa extreme white and love the color but always want more light

Screenshot_20180821-112850.jpg

15. Aug 21, 2018 at 8:54 AM
    Norton

Norton Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab 4x4 V6 6MT, TRD OR & Tow Packages
    Magnuson S/C w/12TRDTacoma's Qwikchange Hub & 2.5" RIP-Modded Pulley, Roostfactor's Pulley Wrap Mod; FPR Mod; JustDSM Tune via HPT MPVI2; mightytacoman Intercooler Tank; aFe POWER Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter; OME Suspension Lift (885 Coils, Dakar Leafs, NitroCharger Sports); TRD Quickshifter w/TRD 6-Spd Knob; TRD Exhaust; NSB-AGM27F Battery w/HKB Adjustable Voltage Booster & Coupe's TRD Battery Hold Down; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Trident904's MT ADM; BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2s on FJ SE Anthracite Rims; N-Fab 6-Step Nerf Bars; BPF TRD Skid, Tow Hook, & Cooling Panel; jsi's Locker Anytime, Up2NoGood's 2Lo Module; ramonortiz55's Always on Power Outlet Relay, ND4's Fog Light Anytime, & Crom's Speed Bleeder Mods; crashnburn80's Ultimate Headlight & Fog Light Upgrades; ThreatLevelMidnight's Wireless Charger; 4Runner 4X4 & FJ Fog Light Switches; redtaco2007-inspired LED License Plate Lights; AudioControl LC2i LOC, JL Audio XD200/2v2 Amp, Focal PS165V1 Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Sub, Hushmat & Noico Sound Insulation; loginfailed-inspired Speedhut Boost & AFR Gauges in a Lotek Pillar Pod; Ltd Auto-Dim/Compass/Temp/Backup Camera/Homelink mirror on ImMrYo's Mirror Lift Bracket; TacomaBeast Glove Box & Console Organizers; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; mesojdm's Ultimate LED Dome & Map Lights & GASSHOLE; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Mobtown Offroad Locking Bed Storage Doors; Toyota Bed Mat; Cali Raised Led Bed Stiffeners; Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock w/TacomaTruckParts Support Bracket; ARE Z-Series Cap, SolarGard Tint; BlendMounted & MirrorTapped Uniden R3; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
    Bulb recommendations are listed in the first post.

16. Aug 21, 2018 at 9:09 AM
    Glocker23

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    Debadged, Tonneau cover, Grillcraft MX grill, OKLED 20" light bar in grill, Aero AT2525 muffler
    Figured things have changed in 3 years since this post came out bud. Newer and better technology bulbs and such that might be recommended now. Been searching and reading. Looking to see what people have been using recently vs 3 years ago.

17. Aug 21, 2018 at 9:10 AM
    vssman

vssman Rocket Engineer

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Naugatuck, CT
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 double cab
    Psst, The first post was edited 8/12/2018...

18. Aug 21, 2018 at 9:16 AM
    Glocker23

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    Missed that. Thanks for correcting

vssman[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Aug 21, 2018 at 9:53 AM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    I keep all my lighting threads original posts up-to-date so that people do not have to hunt through 1000s of posts for updated info. Unfortunately things have actually taken a minor step back since 3 years ago as the higher performing Osram Hyper bulbs have been discontinued, leaving the Superbrights as the recommended option now. I do have a plan to compare some of the high wattage bulbs in the future to see if there is anything better.

The harness you linked is the correct one, it is exceptionally high quality at a very fair price.

The problem with a bulb like the extreme white, is the blue coating allows white/blue light through while filtering out the yellow light. The majority of a halogens output is yellow light, so you are filtering the bulk of the output out to shift the light color and only allowing the weakest part of the light spectrum through. For a real performance bulb, the bulb should not be coated.

Edit: That said, Osram does have a Cool Blue 5000k 100/90w bulb:
    https://www.ebay.com/i/172740139673?chn=ps

Edit 2, if others are interested:
    However, the further away from the natural color temp of halogen you get, the further output is reduced. 5000k is really far from the low 3000k of a halogen so output will be quite a bit less than an uncoated bulb. For someone interested in whiter appearance, I wouldn't recommend going higher than 4000k in halogen, even then output will be reduced, but much less than 5000k. I'm not aware of any quality 4000k high wattage bulbs though. For highest output I recommend non-coated bulbs, currently the 100/90w Osram Superbright H4s listed in the original post of the thread.

Another option, providing around 3700k color temp is Philips ultimate stock wattage bulb, their Racing Vision series:
    https://www.powerbulbs.com/us/product/philips-racingvision-h4-twin

The gasses and high intensity in this bulb have it burn whiter than stock wattage halogen without a coating on the low beam and it also has the best precision on the market for furthest distance projection. However, it does have a coated high beam, so high beam performance will be downgraded. This is only a little less white than your PIAAs while being significantly higher performing on low beam. Bulb life is shorter though at 200hrs, which is the same as the high wattage bulbs.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    74cam, Tsinajinii and Norton[QUOTED] like this.
  20. Aug 26, 2018 at 10:00 AM
    007PNWtaco

007PNWtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Isael
    Vehicle:
    2010 silver tacoma

Products Discussed in

To Top