1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The ultimate headlight upgrade H4 (not LED or HID)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by crashnburn80, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Feb 21, 2019 at 2:24 AM
    FastEddy59

FastEddy59 TTC #0061

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Smack, Dab in the middle of Winnipeg
    Vehicle:
    '13 Barc. Red Tacoma SR5 4X4
    Rigid 23004 Radiance light bar Cheap 3K 18W LED Fogs General AT-2's Pioneer AVH4200NEX w/ iDatalink JL XD5003V2 Focal 165KRX2's JL 10TW3 Arcticstart 803
    I’ve often wondered why they use red & blue lights that are at both ends of the Spectrum. Except when there pullin’ me over.

williams63 and rmepilot like this.
  2. Feb 21, 2019 at 9:59 PM
    crashnburn80

crashnburn80 [OP] Vehicle Design Engineer

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Guys!

I'm not sure if you have followed the GE +130s in my 3rd Gen threads, but they seriously kick ass and absolutely crush the competition. H11 55w 1300 lumen GE +130s outperform 65w 2100 lumen H9s, and only the worlds best ultra elite H9s can touch the GE +130s.

But. GE just released their more advanced +150 in an H4. This bulb seems exceptionally promising. I've already ordered them for testing.
    https://www.powerbulbs.com/us/product/ge-megalight-ultra-150-h4-twin

Rick_Taco, Norton, Willyummk and 4 others like this.
  3. Feb 21, 2019 at 10:10 PM
    jet123

jet123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ft Collins
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB
    Aawww shit... that emoji is here somewhere

:spending:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    crashnburn80[OP] likes this.
  4. Feb 21, 2019 at 10:25 PM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    I buy all this stuff so you guys don't have to waste your money experimenting. I know I've been busy putting some science into 3rd Gen, but I have a serious killer update coming for 2nd Gen once I finish 3rd Gen.

5. Feb 22, 2019 at 4:53 AM
    smmarine

smmarine Well-Known Member

Member:
    Melbourne FL
    Vehicle:
    2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S ABS
    Florida highway patrol did a study on lighting colors years ago and all of their patrol cars had a 4 color combo for a long time. They found the human eye picks up blue light better at night, and red better during the day. White is obviously the brightest color, and amber can be seen well day or night. Blue light also appears as though it’s closer or moving towards you. Red light often appears like is farther or moving away. If you pay attention to dual colored light bars during different conditions, you’ll notice all the items I just said.

FHP also threw the study out the window and have now gone back to an all blue coloring with Amber traffic advisors.

https://www.extremetacticaldynamics.com/knowledge-base/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/FHPevaluation1.pdf

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  6. Feb 22, 2019 at 5:04 AM
    Too Stroked

Too Stroked Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    South shore of Lake Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Ah yes, the daily double. Waste our tax dollars (by throwing the study away) and put officer and public safety at risk (by disregarding the scientific results). Word fail me.

Then again, it's kind of like what we see here in the Lighting forum every day. Aftermarket suppliers offering / pushing replacement lighting solutions that are far inferior to OEM lighting. Science be damned.

onesojourner likes this.
  7. Feb 22, 2019 at 5:36 AM
    smmarine

Member:
    Melbourne FL
    Vehicle:
    Well, to be honest they would be saving money now. FHP had a very expensive light package that incorporated red, blue, Amber, and white, and it was a smart bar that would change coloring based on the ambient light it detected through a photocell. They did find as the plastic bars aged, they yellowed and it would play hell on the bars trying to work as designed.

Their new packages are much cheaper. I read there were some thoughts that red/blue together looks purple at distance, so they wanted to clean it up. Blue is also more recognized as a law enforcement color vs red, since it’s usually restricted to that use. They still have an effective package, as they have amber still incorporated. Amber is seen very well during the day or night.

8. Feb 22, 2019 at 5:49 AM
    smmarine

Member:
    Melbourne FL
    Vehicle:
  9. Feb 22, 2019 at 6:49 AM
    Too Stroked

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Interesting. Up here (in New York State) they always used red / white for law enforcement and fire department vehicles. (Blue was reserved for volunteer fire fighters.) Then about 10 years ago, they added a single rear facing amber, supposedly for better warning ability. Recently, they added two rear facing blues to the mix, again for supposedly better warning ability. And believe it or not, some folks are now pushing to add green to the mix. If you ask me, that's going to look too much like a carnival ride.

10. Feb 22, 2019 at 7:29 AM
    jet123

jet123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ft Collins
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB
    @crashnburn80 -- All good! I/we appreciate all your testing. I look forward to installing your recommendations!

crashnburn80[OP] likes this.
  11. Feb 22, 2019 at 8:41 AM
    replica9000

replica9000 Das ist no bueno

Member:
    Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R ORP
    This reminds me of another question I've been thinking about. Why are the automakers using 5k color LED or HID lighting if 3k~ color is supposed to be better?

12. Feb 22, 2019 at 9:11 AM
    Too Stroked

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner SR5 Premium
    I'm not sure who knows how to spend my money better, you or my fiancé! Fortunately, she understands my lighting fetish.

13. Feb 22, 2019 at 3:55 PM
    smmarine

Member:
    Melbourne FL
    Vehicle:
    I’ve always heard closer to natural sunlight, which is 4300k, is the best color for the human eyes to pick up. Some people prefer the cooler white over the warmer white coloring. The lower color scale cuts through dust and fog better.

14. Feb 22, 2019 at 5:23 PM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    Some people do like the whiter output and the optimal HID temp is 4300k. Unfortunately though it is not uncommon for sales/marketing to screw things up. When HIDs first came out, they were visually very distinctly different, you could easily tell when a car had HIDs and everyone else had halogen. Enter: distinguishable selling feature. If it looked the same but just performed better, it isn’t distinguishable and harder to upsell. Ultimately auto manufactures are building a product to sell, and making it different helps them stand out in the market place to help sales. Different doesn’t actually mean better. Lots of people want OEM LED headlights. While the technology exists to improve the CRI and decrease the color temperature, they don’t. It would cost marginally more and the buyers are looking for the LED look. How many threads/posts do you see where people want to get whiter looking lights because halogens “look old”. It is a noticeable feature that sets the car apart and can command a higher price than if they looked like older halogen assemblies.

A great recent example of a major marketing/sales fail is the doors on the Model X. Wow, very heavy complicated electronically operated doors to set it apart... on a highly weight sensitive and electrical load sensitive electric vehicle. Not only are the doors heavy, the roof structure and critical safety cage of the vehicle is compromised by having the doors extend into the roofline. Meaning the entire roof is going to need reinforcing to withstand the required safety roll rating of the roof. The reinforcement will add additional weight. So on an electric car where weight reduction and reducing electrical power consumption are the two most critical features, they opt to install super heavy, expensive, complex, electrically powered doors that compromise the vehicles safety structure requiring additional weight in roof reinforcements... so that the doors would open vertically instead of horizontally. It looks cool, but it is not the best design for the application. When I saw this design all I could think was WTF. Musk later said the doors were a great mistake.

15. Feb 22, 2019 at 5:35 PM
    suppra87

suppra87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    MD
    Vehicle:
    15' Black DCSB TRD OR
    Thought id chime in. It its been exactly 1 year and 27,025 miles since I installed the Rally Lights harness and Osram Bilux 100/90w bulbs. Still on my original bulbs. I keep my headlights and fogs on 99% of my driving. I use the high beams for a solid 30 minutes every day and lows are on if my truck is on.

Awesome upgrade for sure.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  16. Feb 22, 2019 at 5:57 PM
    Toy4me

Toy4me Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    NNJ
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB TRD Sport MGM
    Ok on your recommendation I just ordered a set of the Hellas on Amazon for $26. Just had a bulb go out last night so it’s time.

Edit - cancelled them, ordered the 24v by mistake https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H0QRYG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . I looked and don't see 100/90 12v. I did find hella 100/80 12v. Not sure what to buy.

17. Feb 23, 2019 at 1:11 AM
    veleno

veleno Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'd be interested in this test as I want to improve the lighting in my 2004. Glad I didn't just to order the osram or volsa you talked about in earlier threads. When do you think you'll have test results?

Btw, I just checked the link and they are offering 20% off until the end of the month. Makes me think I should just order a set to save $20... What do you think?

18. Feb 23, 2019 at 3:44 AM
    Too Stroked

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Remember, no matter what the "current best" bulb is, a "better" bulb will always come out shorty after you buy it. So waiting for the best bulb might be a long wait.

I'd highly recommend the +130's. I have them in my daily driver and they're quite nice. I'm sure the +150's will be even better, but will they be that much better that they're worth waiting for? That's a tougher question.

BTW: That 20% off is a pretty standard promotion.

crashnburn80[OP] and Norton like this.
  19. Feb 23, 2019 at 5:51 AM
    Toy4me

Toy4me Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    NNJ
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB TRD Sport MGM
    Well, they should be brighter, problem becomes that as they get brighter they also tend to have a shorter bulb life. For me just brighter doesn't equal better. So being better is up to the individual to decide factoring in both aspects. I'd love +300's that would light up the road like a stadium for my old eyes but wouldn't pick that option if they died in two months.

@crashnburn80 you've talked about bulb brightness and bulb life in comparing several bulbs in this thread (which I've followed since the op), since you enjoy this so much maybe we could talk you into making a chart and adding it to the op with each bulb that's tested with it's specs and your results?

And on that note, your opinion on these - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VUB4C...olid=2ZRCUUM8QZCPB&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it . I've got a dozen in my cart.

Willie B and Too Stroked[QUOTED] like this.
  20. Feb 23, 2019 at 8:04 AM
    Norton

Norton Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab 4x4 V6 6MT, TRD OR & Tow Packages
    Magnuson S/C w/12TRDTacoma's Qwikchange Hub & 2.5" RIP-Modded Pulley, Roostfactor's Pulley Wrap Mod; FPR Mod; JustDSM Tune via HPT MPVI2; mightytacoman Intercooler Tank; aFe POWER Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter; OME Suspension Lift (885 Coils, Dakar Leafs, NitroCharger Sports); TRD Quickshifter w/TRD 6-Spd Knob; TRD Exhaust; NSB-AGM27F Battery w/HKB Adjustable Voltage Booster & Coupe's TRD Battery Hold Down; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Trident904's MT ADM; BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2s on FJ SE Anthracite Rims; N-Fab 6-Step Nerf Bars; BPF TRD Skid, Tow Hook, & Cooling Panel; jsi's Locker Anytime, Up2NoGood's 2Lo Module; ramonortiz55's Always on Power Outlet Relay, ND4's Fog Light Anytime, & Crom's Speed Bleeder Mods; crashnburn80's Ultimate Headlight & Fog Light Upgrades; ThreatLevelMidnight's Wireless Charger; 4Runner 4X4 & FJ Fog Light Switches; redtaco2007-inspired LED License Plate Lights; AudioControl LC2i LOC, JL Audio XD200/2v2 Amp, Focal PS165V1 Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Sub, Hushmat & Noico Sound Insulation; loginfailed-inspired Speedhut Boost & AFR Gauges in a Lotek Pillar Pod; Ltd Auto-Dim/Compass/Temp/Backup Camera/Homelink mirror on ImMrYo's Mirror Lift Bracket; TacomaBeast Glove Box & Console Organizers; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; mesojdm's Ultimate LED Dome & Map Lights & GASSHOLE; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Mobtown Offroad Locking Bed Storage Doors; Toyota Bed Mat; Cali Raised Led Bed Stiffeners; Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock w/TacomaTruckParts Support Bracket; ARE Z-Series Cap, SolarGard Tint; BlendMounted & MirrorTapped Uniden R3; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
    They ran 25% off less than two weeks ago. Unless you need them now, I'd wait.
    +1 to all of this.

I don't recall @crashnburn80 rendering an opinion in these specific bulbs, but he has previously commented on the Hella brand...
    It's also worth noting at least a few of us have had the Hella relays in our harnesses die early deaths. Obviously, relays and bulbs are different products, but there seems to have been an overall decline in brand quality.

Products Discussed in

To Top