1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The ultimate headlight upgrade H4 (not LED or HID)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by crashnburn80, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Feb 23, 2019 at 9:28 AM
    suppra87

suppra87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    MD
    Vehicle:
    15' Black DCSB TRD OR
    I'm sorry, I had a brain fart when I typed that. I have Osram Bilux 100/90w bulbs. Not sure why I was thinking Hella bulbs but these are definitely what I have.
    https://www.amazon.com/Osram-Premium-Off-Road-Headlight-62204SBPQTY/dp/B00NRA91XM

I edited my original post.

Norton and crashnburn80[OP] like this.
  2. Feb 23, 2019 at 9:46 AM
    crashnburn80

crashnburn80 [OP] Vehicle Design Engineer

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    The problem is that Hella doesn't actually make bulbs. Other manufactures make the bulbs for Hella, so unless you can identify who that manufacture is, you may be getting a decent product, or you may be getting a poor quality Chinese one. Whats worse, is that the same bulb type may have 2 different manufactures and actually be different products but not clearly be marked any different.

Example:
    Hella standard H9, 2 different manufactures
    1 bulb is manufactured cheaply in China
    1 bulb is manufactured by Osram as a Hyper performance bulb in South Korea <- This bulb is awesome

The other issue here is bulb life. The Osram 100/90w have the best bulb life at 200 hours. Typical of a 100/90w bulb is 150 hours. The Hellas are rated at 100 hours, but I think that must be the high beam rating, as that is pretty poor. I may include the Hella 100/80s in the upcoming bulb comparison, I'm building quite the collection.

Made in Germany Osram 100/90w bulbs
    https://www.powerbulbs.com/us/product/osram-super-bright-premium-h4

Source for Hella H4s (likely all Asia):
    https://www.rallylights.com/h-412-hella-h4-9003-hb2-12volt-halogen-bulb.html

I'm pretty excited to try the new GEs, I'll probably give them a basic test not long after they arrive. I have really started to appreciate bench testing though, it is so much easier and more repeatable creating standardized comparison measurements that can then be cross referenced against others. I cannot do that in the vehicle. I'm not yet setup to do that for the 2nd gen. I need to get some OEM lighting assemblies and beefier power supplies to handle the high wattage bulbs. Probably $500 or so if I get all decent gear.

As mentioned the 20% off is pretty standard, occasionally it bumps up to 25%.

Fortunately I have the +130s too, so I'll be able to provide you an answer, once I'm set up for 2nd Gen testing.

Graphs are definitely in the plan. I've started doing that in my other threads and it is very useful. Bulb life specs are definitely harder to come by though, some manufactures do not publish them, and others will put it right on the box. The German bulbs are usually really good with their documentation.

Norton[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Feb 23, 2019 at 11:42 AM
    Toy4me

Toy4me Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    NNJ
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB TRD Sport MGM
    Thanks. I have two sets of these on the shelf still, guess I'll buy 2 or 3 more sets (I like to keep a few sets on hand so when a bulb gos out I just grab a new set off my shelf). I just put in a set of osram 85/80s that I had on the shelf with them. Iirc these were an early reccomendation from you and I bought 3 sets when I got my harness. @suppra87 thanks for the correction.

4. Feb 23, 2019 at 11:47 AM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    I don't think anything is going to beat the 85/80w Hyper bulbs you have as those are exceptional and widely regarded as the highest performing H4. Where it gets more fuzzy is in the absence of the availability of those bulbs, what is the next best replacement if not interested in an All Season bulb.

5. Feb 23, 2019 at 11:51 AM
    Norton

Norton Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab 4x4 V6 6MT, TRD OR & Tow Packages
    Magnuson S/C w/12TRDTacoma's Qwikchange Hub & 2.5" RIP-Modded Pulley, Roostfactor's Pulley Wrap Mod; FPR Mod; JustDSM Tune via HPT MPVI2; mightytacoman Intercooler Tank; aFe POWER Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter; OME Suspension Lift (885 Coils, Dakar Leafs, NitroCharger Sports); TRD Quickshifter w/TRD 6-Spd Knob; TRD Exhaust; NSB-AGM27F Battery w/HKB Adjustable Voltage Booster & Coupe's TRD Battery Hold Down; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Trident904's MT ADM; BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2s on FJ SE Anthracite Rims; N-Fab 6-Step Nerf Bars; BPF TRD Skid, Tow Hook, & Cooling Panel; jsi's Locker Anytime, Up2NoGood's 2Lo Module; ramonortiz55's Always on Power Outlet Relay, ND4's Fog Light Anytime, & Crom's Speed Bleeder Mods; crashnburn80's Ultimate Headlight & Fog Light Upgrades; ThreatLevelMidnight's Wireless Charger; 4Runner 4X4 & FJ Fog Light Switches; redtaco2007-inspired LED License Plate Lights; AudioControl LC2i LOC, JL Audio XD200/2v2 Amp, Focal PS165V1 Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Sub, Hushmat & Noico Sound Insulation; loginfailed-inspired Speedhut Boost & AFR Gauges in a Lotek Pillar Pod; Ltd Auto-Dim/Compass/Temp/Backup Camera/Homelink mirror on ImMrYo's Mirror Lift Bracket; TacomaBeast Glove Box & Console Organizers; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; mesojdm's Ultimate LED Dome & Map Lights & GASSHOLE; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Mobtown Offroad Locking Bed Storage Doors; Toyota Bed Mat; Cali Raised Led Bed Stiffeners; Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock w/TacomaTruckParts Support Bracket; ARE Z-Series Cap, SolarGard Tint; BlendMounted & MirrorTapped Uniden R3; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
    I'm kicking myself for not doing this.

crashnburn80[OP] likes this.
  6. Feb 23, 2019 at 12:28 PM
    JeffB

JeffB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    N.E. CT
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport
    Just installed Hella H9 65W PGJ19-5's on my right side to compare with standard on the left.
    I'll send a vid if I get a good one.

7. Feb 23, 2019 at 12:31 PM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    JeffB[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Feb 24, 2019 at 1:08 PM
    1rider

1rider Member

Member:

I ordered some too! Hopefully they come soon, and are a closer match to my fog lights after following your FG upgrade. Fog lights are so wide, crisp and focused.

9. Feb 26, 2019 at 7:38 AM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    This thread just passed 1/4 million views. I thought that was pretty cool.

10. Feb 26, 2019 at 9:48 AM
    Toy4me

Toy4me Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    NNJ
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB TRD Sport MGM
    No surprise here. It’s a pretty enlightening thread.

11. Feb 26, 2019 at 2:01 PM
    smmarine

smmarine Well-Known Member

Member:
    Melbourne FL
    Vehicle:
    2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S ABS
    C163583C-9301-4A58-B725-7A8B04D982BC.jpg

12. Feb 27, 2019 at 1:56 PM
    Yo'ta

Yo'ta Well-Known Member

Member:
    @Toy4me,

You amuse me. Since @crashnburn80 already invests so much his valuable time into this, perhaps you could offer to help him out and invest some of your own valuable time to get the spreadsheet started and fill in as much data as you can from reading all the prior posts... That is, if having that spreadsheet and being able to share it with others is important enough to you to invest your own time...

...just sayin'...

;-)

JL

jet123 likes this.
  13. Mar 1, 2019 at 8:38 AM
    smmarine

smmarine Well-Known Member

Member:
    Melbourne FL
    Vehicle:
    2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S ABS
    I got my new harness in. Definitely more impressed by the quality over the Rallylights harness. We’ll see how long it lasts.

I’m not very impressed with my 1999 headlight pattern. They’re fairly new factory headlight assemblies, but they don’t fan out evenly. Maybe I don’t have them aligned right. There’s a sharp upswing in light pattern towards the passenger side that puts most of the lighting off the roadway

BenMara likes this.
  14. Mar 1, 2019 at 8:43 AM
    Too Stroked

Too Stroked Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    South shore of Lake Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Remember, there is a built in "kick up" on the right hand side of most modern headlights by design. It's intended to better illuminate road signs.

You might want to park your truck about 25' away from a clean vertical wall at night with your lights on and snap us a pic. That will go a long way in showing if you have a problem.

15. Mar 1, 2019 at 9:59 AM
    FastEddy59

FastEddy59 TTC #0061

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Smack, Dab in the middle of Winnipeg
    Vehicle:
    '13 Barc. Red Tacoma SR5 4X4
    Rigid 23004 Radiance light bar Cheap 3K 18W LED Fogs General AT-2's Pioneer AVH4200NEX w/ iDatalink JL XD5003V2 Focal 165KRX2's JL 10TW3 Arcticstart 803
    Illuminati :eek:

16. Mar 1, 2019 at 11:21 AM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    The 98-2000 trucks are a challenge. The 2001 trucks got modern composite lights, and the 97 and earlier trucks used standard 200mm lights with very high quality replacement options available. The 98-2000 don't have quality replacement options available and are the older fluted lens style design. Good condition factory lights are going to be the best available. @Too Stroked is spot on with the kick up on the passenger side. I'd second the suggestion of posting some picks ~25' from a wall and we can help determine if you just have some beam adjustment that needs to be done. You mentioned they are fairly new, were they ever adjusted after being installed?

17. Mar 1, 2019 at 6:12 PM
    replica9000

replica9000 Das ist no bueno

Member:
    Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R ORP
    I hate when the person driving behind you has a light bouncing around.

18. Mar 1, 2019 at 6:23 PM
    crashnburn80

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    I had one follow me yesterday where they had put drop in LEDs in the factory fogs causing all sorts of glare and the driver side one was blinking on and off. Kinda like being constantly flashed. Really obnoxious. LED blinking is typically the result of a failed cooling fan and the LED overheating. Clearly they didn't notice or I would have expected they turn the fogs off, since there was no fog.

Rick_Taco likes this.
  19. Mar 1, 2019 at 9:45 PM
    65skyturbo

65skyturbo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 Speedway Blue DCSB TRD Off Road

Speaking of adjustment, I'm sure I need to adjust my headlight and fog lights. The headlight housings have been replaced by the previous owner and I'm sure my passenger side is too high. If I'm parked 25' from a wall, how high from the ground should the hot spot be for the headlights? The fog lights? My truck is lifted so I assume they are too high which might explain why I don't seem to have much usable light on the road. I have the headlight services harness and Phillips Xtreme +130 bulbs but I'm thinking about trying the Super Bright 100/90W bulbs. Some people seem to think that the higher wattage bulbs won't blind oncoming traffic if the proper headlight cut off is maintained. What are your thoughts on this? Thanks for all of you input, guidance, protect testing & reviews. I always learn something new from your threads.

20. Mar 2, 2019 at 4:21 AM
    Too Stroked

Too Stroked Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    South shore of Lake Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Some good questions and I'll field a few before letting @crashnburn80 field the balance. First, the most important information in your post is that your truck is lifted. That changes quite a few things about your headlight performance as well as what your available options are. It appears that you have OEM housings and they have some pretty decent optics that react well to higher powered halogen bulbs because the cutoff is maintained. (In fact that's the key to the Ultimate Headlight Upgrade.) But that all depends on the truck riding at least close to the stock / non-lifted height. Once you lift a truck, you lift that cutoff and get it closer to eye level of oncoming drivers. Once you get to eye level, you start ticking folks off.

Now the option that most folks quickly jump to is to "re-aim your headlights down a bit." While this may - depending on how much your truck is lifted - solve the problem of ticking off oncoming drivers, it creates a new problem. Your headlights may no longer have the "reach" they used to since they're aimed into the ground. But, this is probably your best - or maybe only - option right now.

Even if you manage to re-aim your headlights so that they do not bother oncoming drivers, with a lifted truck, you still may have another problem: bounce. Since your cutoff is now closer to eye level, but you've minimized the issue through aiming, you can still run into problems when your truck either hits a bump or you have a load in the bed. That's because you've (temporarily) re-aimed your headlights back up. Again, the joys of a lifted truck.

Personally, I'd recommend staying away from crazy higher wattage headlight bulbs with a lifted truck. The increase in visibility for you is generally out-weighed by the negative effects on other drivers. The best option I can recommend for somebody in your situation is upgrading your fog lights since they're mounted at the lowest level in your grill. Here's a link to a great way to accomplish that:

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/the-ultimate-foglight-upgrade-h11-not-led-or-hid.435419/

Products Discussed in

To Top