1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The utility of tool boxes, shells, rails, ladder racks, etc.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by trib, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Jan 5, 2010 at 4:05 PM
    trib

trib [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I got into pick up trucks about 5 years ago, and I have to say now that I know how useful they are I'll never go back. Fast forward to today and I have a tacoma and a new full size tundra. I plan on keeping the tundra's bed stock so I can fit all of my friend's mountain bikes and tons of camping stuff in the back (it is somewhat of an excrusion vehicle at present), as well as using it for towing and hauling heavy payloads. So I'm pretty much turning my taco into a commuting/errand vehicle. Its easy to whip around town in and gets awesome mileage.

What I'd like is some advice from the do-it-yourself guys on this forum about utility add-ons. I plan on buying a house soon, and will probably end up learning how to do all kinds of crap myself, like building a deck, landscaping, etc. (I have absolutely no experience in construction or home improvement but I tend to pick up things quickly). Right now I see the need for a good sized steel tool chest to put in the bed, but not too deep, so I can still fit lumber or shovels or whatever in the bed.

Then again, I'm looking at camper shells with some sort of top-mounted rails because you can lock everything in the bed, and you can also strap longer peices of wood and ladders and so forth on the top without it all sticking out the back of the truck (granted it is more of a pain because its higher up). Some of the shells I see have opening side windows which is a plus and eliminates some of the head ache of getting stuff out of the forward part of the bed. Another pro of a shell is for strapping surfboards on the top (I normally surf a few times a week since my work is on the coast).

So which do you guys prefer for the odd jobs you do?

2. Jan 5, 2010 at 8:17 PM
    trib

trib [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    btt

3. Jan 5, 2010 at 8:24 PM
    Griztaco

Griztaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    TRD
    I like tool boxes. They have the advantage of locking stuff for safe keeping, where someone might be inclined to break a window.

To Top