1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dick's Dank Yank Wank Tank

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by scocar, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Sep 7, 2018 at 8:39 PM
    scocar

scocar [OP] hypotenoper

Member:
    Crom, EDDO and DoorDing like this.
  2. Sep 7, 2018 at 8:44 PM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    So what's the "issue' with them?

3. Sep 7, 2018 at 8:48 PM
    scocar

scocar [OP] hypotenoper

Member:
    Oh, I've already fucked myself many, many times. Surely that is obvious.

To be clear, first of all, I was never interested in HD hangers, just shackles. I think you are looking at the whole shebang, IIRC.

BAMF HD hangers preserve OEM length and geometry. Hammers do not. That wasn't really apparent until I saw both on a bench together.

But if you look at the Hammer shackle, it is basically a direct copy of Jerry's.

The thing about the leaf fit boils down to there is only so much room (width) on the barrel of the shackle to install plate ears that thick. Even if the ears taper, the bottom of the taper will bind on long leaf tips. Jerry straightened his shackle ears to mitigate the shackle hitting the hanger toward the rear at full compression. Solved one problem, which made the other problem (standard leaf eye _O fitment ) even worse.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    DoorDing likes this.
  4. Sep 7, 2018 at 8:49 PM
    scocar

scocar [OP] hypotenoper

Member:
    VVVVV

5. Sep 7, 2018 at 8:51 PM
    scocar

scocar [OP] hypotenoper

Member:
  6. Sep 7, 2018 at 8:58 PM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    There, there @scocar. Pet the kitty and it will make you feel better.

DoorDing likes this.
  7. Sep 7, 2018 at 10:13 PM
    scocar

scocar [OP] hypotenoper

Member:
    Did you see my pic of my Dakar tips (including AAL) in the 4X? That about sums up what you'd be in for:

DoorDing and Crom like this.
  8. Sep 8, 2018 at 7:37 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    Solid tech post, Scott. Option#4, that's where I'd go! :thumbsup:

9. Sep 8, 2018 at 8:18 AM
    scocar

scocar [OP] hypotenoper

Member:
    Yeah, this is pretty much where all hope was lost. The tips are one thing. Spend some time, make some sparks, sure. I think the primary need there is to actually cut off an inch or so of each leaf, then chamfer, etc. to stair step them toward the shackle.

And I'm just going to point out that I've removed all the pucks (isolators) from my pack. Because that's how I roll. Dry moly coating with no gaps. So any pack with isolators would be even thicker in relation to the shackle capacity.

But the biggest issue is the width of the top leaf with the eye. It binds up very very early in articulation, in the top of the throat of the ears, if you will. It simply doesn't look feasible to grinding away at the side of the top leaf. It would just create a massive weak spot at the most critical and heavily worked portion of the entire leafpack.

Crom likes this.
  10. Sep 8, 2018 at 1:39 PM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Option 2. Go with all proofread ...let's try that again; Allpro Off-road leaf springs. They have the eye you are looking for.

11. Sep 8, 2018 at 4:00 PM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    No idea, I bought their rear leafs, and skid plates some time ago, and without the drama.

12. Sep 8, 2018 at 5:22 PM
    DVexile

DVexile Exiled to the East

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB V6 TRD OR 4X4
    I’ve got the All Pro Expos if anyone cares. From well before the recent unpleasantness. I like them so far.

DoorDing and VE7OSR like this.
  13. Sep 9, 2018 at 5:00 PM
    nDub

nDub Kan kun være malet af en gal mand

Member:
    Central Sierras - NorCal
    Vehicle:
    ‘17 TRD OR DCLB and a dǝǝſ
    Lead Free Gasoline
    I really like the APro leaves on my pickup.

Broke one on the Rubicon but it was 10+years old....

Otherwise great!

tinker_troy likes this.
  14. Sep 9, 2018 at 5:03 PM
    tinker_troy

tinker_troy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T R O Y
    WY/SD
    Vehicle:
    #3, 2015 SR AC 4x4 V6 6 speed
    shackle brace, rear sway bar, 3 gen seats, Coupe Shifter, 3rd gen OR front springs + shocks, 17" TuRD PRO replica wheels

Attached Files:

15. Sep 9, 2018 at 8:03 PM
    scocar

scocar [OP] hypotenoper

Member:
    I'll tell you what kind. The bourbon kind.

16. Sep 10, 2018 at 12:45 PM
    scocar

scocar [OP] hypotenoper

Member:
    So I'm not sure if having read this has made me more insane or less insane.

Discuss, even though I don't really have time to right now. But it keeps passing through my mind. More and more.

[​IMG]

GHOST SHIP likes this.
  17. Sep 10, 2018 at 2:24 PM
    tinker_troy

tinker_troy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T R O Y
    WY/SD
    Vehicle:
    #3, 2015 SR AC 4x4 V6 6 speed
    shackle brace, rear sway bar, 3 gen seats, Coupe Shifter, 3rd gen OR front springs + shocks, 17" TuRD PRO replica wheels

i have that exact copy.....haven't finished it... and i dont recall much of what i read... so i cant really comment on it...

maybe i'll get to it
    after i watch that Dr. Strangelove and the Midget Time Bandidos....

nDub and scocar[QUOTED][OP] like this.
  18. Sep 10, 2018 at 5:16 PM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    I'm expecting the title of Scott's memoire to be along the lines of 'Dickery and the Art of Shelving.' or more simply just 'DICK'

19. Sep 10, 2018 at 5:47 PM
    DVexile

DVexile Exiled to the East

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB V6 TRD OR 4X4
    OK then.

DoorDing likes this.
  20. Sep 10, 2018 at 9:09 PM
    scocar

scocar [OP] hypotenoper

Member:
    How about Angst and the Art of Dead Ends?

@MQQSE @DVexile here's the new emergency jump start power pack @DoorDing was telling me about.
    https://youtu.be/RXJKdh1KZ0w

MQQSE, Drainbung, DoorDing and 2 others like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top