1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dick's Dank Yank Wank Tank

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by scocar, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Jan 10, 2016 at 2:22 PM
    DVexile

DVexile Exiled to the East

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB V6 TRD OR 4X4
    Nice build, we think alike. Waiting for your thoughts on VLEDs. I've got the Philips 921s sitting in my glove compartment waiting to go in, but I'll just let them sit there awhile longer if the VLEDs look like a better solution.

On the kid front, ours is almost 3.5 now. I am so glad those early days are over - chronic exhaustion - and we actually got an easy kid. We found about 12 months was when we realized things were suddenly a lot easier than they had been before. And since then it has gotten easier every month.

Watch out for the wife too, they try to over do it and there is a whole crazy culture of people shouting at them to try and not just be super mom but be convinced this is the most amazingly awesome and joyful thing in their life. It isn't, it sucks nuts 90% of the time (the early parts that is). Guys get to say so, girls don't. Everyone warns to watch for postpartum stuff early on, but after six to twelve months of grueling parenting you don't need hormones or medical conditions to just be worn down and not thinking through what is really important.

We did pretty well, mostly because we had an easy sleeper and no diet issues. Still around 6 months I sort of had to do an intervention on the breast feeding. It was never going great and required endless pumping. Wife works full time and not in a field where you can really slow down very much. Got a bunch of weeks of maternity leave at least, so that was good, but after that it isn't like you are 100%, or even 50% of what you were before but you are being evaluated as if nothing has changed. Throw in pumping however many times a day plus regular feeding sessions and suddenly you've lost hours and hours of time every day.

I called it the "dignity pump" - as if it was pumping it right out of her like that machine that sucks out life in The Princess Bride. We let that all go at six months and things got a lot better all at once. Afterwards she said, "why didn't you stop me earlier?"

Anyway, not knocking breast feeding at all - for some people it is actually easier and a time saver. Totally depends on the living situation and the biology of the parties involved. But the larger point is make sure you both take a moment somewhere in that say five to eight months range and figure out if everything you are doing is really necessary or is some of it just more time and effort than it really is worth. This kids thing is a marathon, not a sprint, you got to marshal your energy. What you told yourself before birth and what society and magazines are telling you right now are mostly ideals unsuited to the pragmatism required to get through it all. Happy kids come primarily from happy parents. If you figuratively kill yourself trying to do everything everyone else says you are suppose to do as a parent you won't be there in the most important way for the kid.

Anyway, awesome build. Count me as sub'd!

scocar[OP] and T4RFTMFW like this.
  2. Jan 10, 2016 at 3:02 PM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    :eek:

DoorDing likes this.
  3. Jan 10, 2016 at 5:44 PM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Shtuff
    I'm practically certain it's a first.

4. Jan 10, 2016 at 6:36 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
  5. Jan 10, 2016 at 6:58 PM
    scocar

scocar [OP] hypotenoper

Member:
    Managed to do the BTLM and VLEDs today:)

6. Jan 10, 2016 at 7:56 PM
    scocar

scocar [OP] hypotenoper

Member:
    When I have two hands...

They are quite worthwhile.

Cosmetic teaser

7. Jan 10, 2016 at 9:28 PM
    DVexile

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB V6 TRD OR 4X4
    Note to self, don't walk in front of @scocar's balls in this thread - there's a lot of incoming crossfire.

MQQSE, T4RFTMFW and DoorDing like this.
  8. Jan 10, 2016 at 9:39 PM
    scocar

scocar [OP] hypotenoper

Member:
    This is a comparison of the change in illumination with VLED 5k bulbs vs stock incandescent.

Notes:
    • Inspection of both light assemblies on the bench revealed that the housings, lenses, and reflectors are identical in every way so much as one can tell without cutting them apart. I have pics of that, but not going to post them at this time.
    • These photo were taken on two sequential days as close as possible to the the exact same spot and same time of night. Therefore, this is not an ideal scientific comparison. But I'm not a scientist. So STFU. The distance from the green garbage can on the passenger side is approx. 17ish feet from the rear bumper.
    • Also note that the backup camera display refresh rate affects those shots. In reality, the VLEDs did do a better job on the backup cam, too, regardless of what you may think in the below pics.

Backup cam @DCSBFTMFW
    Stock lights and bulbs

Depo with VLED

Stock lights and bulbs standing against tailgate

Depo with VLED

Stock lights and bulbs standing at side of driver side taillight

Depo with VLED

Stock lights and bulbs looking at driver sideview mirror with window down.

Depo with VLED

Stock lights and bulbs with drive lights on from 17 ft.

Dep with VLED

EDIT: the product, repeated for convenience:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
    jdg, Silver02Taco, Drainbung and 3 others like this.
  9. Jan 10, 2016 at 9:41 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    Definite improvement. Awesome.

Thanks for the efforts.

MQQSE likes this.
  10. Jan 10, 2016 at 9:45 PM
    scocar

scocar [OP] hypotenoper

Member:
    FUDB
    You have no fucking idea, mate. This thread so far has been spared from the outright ballbusting pandemonium that you perhaps have yet to savor in all the BS threads. :bananadead:

MQQSE and DoorDing like this.
  11. Jan 10, 2016 at 9:46 PM
    scocar

scocar [OP] hypotenoper

Member:
    Yeah, I'm happy. No prob. I would have done it anyway, but good call reminding me on the cam view. My 1st gen brain may have overlooked that. I'm just happy I didn't run over myself with the automatic.

MQQSE, VE7OSR and T4RFTMFW[QUOTED] like this.
  12. Jan 10, 2016 at 9:47 PM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    I secured a light bar today, and will have some flush mount 2x2 LED pods I'll be mounting into the stock rear bumper and wiring them into a switch (as opposed to tapping into my reverse lights).

If I didn't luck into the pods I'd totally try those VLEDs.

MQQSE likes this.
  13. Jan 10, 2016 at 9:47 PM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    Like that OZ-T guy.

14. Jan 10, 2016 at 10:20 PM
    scocar

scocar [OP] hypotenoper

Member:
    I'll add some 6-inch LEDs or similar at some point back there. This was one of those, holy crap, I need a fix now for everyday conditions mods.

15. Jan 10, 2016 at 10:30 PM
    DVexile

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB V6 TRD OR 4X4
    Thanks for the VLED's write up and nicely done comparison pictures. Just ordered a pair, my unopened Phillips are going back to Amazon.

MQQSE likes this.
  16. Jan 11, 2016 at 12:41 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Shtuff
    What you did there, I see it. :laughing:

Lights look greatly improved Scott. I'll be figuring out my order soon. Thank you. @scocar

DoorDing likes this.
  17. Jan 11, 2016 at 7:11 AM
    scocar

scocar [OP] hypotenoper

Member:
    Glad I could help. Glad @VE70SR steered me in the right direction so I could help. Occasionally, these Kanuckistanis aren't half half bad. :canada:

MQQSE[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Jan 11, 2016 at 7:15 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Shtuff
    Yep, you just gotta watch out for the shorts wearing islander variety. ;)

scocar[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  19. Jan 11, 2016 at 7:19 AM
    scocar

scocar [OP] hypotenoper

Member:
    Some cosmetic de-chroming shots of the Depos

Biscuits, Soul Surfer and MQQSE like this.
  20. Jan 11, 2016 at 10:27 AM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    Now you need to get rid of that bumper.

Can you confirm or deny the almost undetectable difference in quality of the DEPO lights to the OEMs?

For science and for @tacomgee

Products Discussed in

To Top