1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TheCochese's Project Con Queso

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Builds (2016-2023)' started by TheCochese, Aug 7, 2020.

?

Yellow wrap bumper light?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. Sometimes

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Dec 31, 2020 at 2:32 PM
    uploadadventure

uploadadventure It’s all @ColoradoTJ’s fault

Member:
    Dixon, Mo
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue Tacoma TRD OR (sold) 05 Duramax
    Which ones are these?

Tttacodan likes this.
  2. Dec 31, 2020 at 2:48 PM
    TheCochese

TheCochese [OP] The Bronze T4R OG

Member:
    Attempting to flee the south
    Vehicle:
    Cavalry Blue soccer machine
    Fine corinthian leather
    They got yeeted off the forum because a vendor abused their status.

Allegedly

Tttacodan likes this.
  3. Dec 31, 2020 at 3:13 PM
    uploadadventure

Member:
    Dixon, Mo
    Vehicle:
    :annoyed:

Tttacodan likes this.
  4. Dec 31, 2020 at 3:15 PM
    Iwilltaco

Iwilltaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    @kairo’s guest house having a water with @not_nick
    Under development
    I think that’s a great idea.

Tttacodan likes this.
  5. Jan 1, 2021 at 10:19 AM
    TheCochese

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Fine corinthian leather
    Smittybilt X20 synthetic ordered. Unless there's a huge surprise, it'll be here well before the bumper.

There's a really good chance that the winch and light will be installed with the bumper but not wired up while I research the best path forward. The winch can be wired directly to the battery but I was thinking about a kill switch as it won't be used often.

Biscuits, 23Skidoo and Iwilltaco like this.
  6. Jan 2, 2021 at 2:34 PM
    TheCochese

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Fine corinthian leather
    Exactly 52 weeks later, finally took the V6 badge off.

7. Jan 2, 2021 at 2:41 PM
    Iwilltaco

Member:
    Under development
    Not now! That 2.7 isn’t gonna like all that weight you’ve been adding to the truck.

8. Jan 2, 2021 at 6:51 PM
    TheCochese

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Fine corinthian leather
    Picked up a magnetic pickup tool, tomorrow I will attempt to get the forward to slider bolts installed. Then put some blue thread lock on all the bolts. I have to figure out if there are more than four mounting points on the driver side. After that I will be doing the 15k service, I need to find my torque wrench for the driveshaft. And get the leaky grease gun out and hit zerks.

Winch shipped, probably be here next weekend. I have to decide if I’m going to do the bedliner again or have it powder coated. Leaning PC.

Also found a dent on my passenger roof arch, a branch must have fallen down again, this has happened on every one of my vehicles since we moved here. I hate that tree. No paint chipping, perhaps PDC can fix it but it isn’t a big deal. Every time I wash the truck I find something, so no more washes.

9. Jan 2, 2021 at 8:06 PM
    uploadadventure

Member:
    Dixon, Mo
    Vehicle:
    If you remove the plastic you should be able to reach your arm down the frame. And put the bolt in the hole.
    Unless you have super fat arms.

10. Jan 2, 2021 at 8:20 PM
    TheCochese

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Fine corinthian leather
    I was about two inches too short of reaching when I tried.

11. Jan 2, 2021 at 8:21 PM
    uploadadventure

Member:
    Dixon, Mo
    Vehicle:
    Dang.

12. Jan 2, 2021 at 10:18 PM
    Traction

Traction Well-Known Member

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRDOR
    try taping it to a box end wrench, works well!

23Skidoo and b_r_o like this.
  13. Jan 3, 2021 at 12:22 PM
    TheCochese

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Fine corinthian leather
    I finally got the two forward bolts in, but my ring finger paid a price. I used a pickup tool to get the bolts in, then was able to put the wrench up in the frame and get them tightened. The passenger side was again easier, the driver way worse. The brake lines interfered, plus the mounting hole was ever so slightly off. Just enough room to get the bolt through with a little bit of work, but attempting to use the needle nose to grab it, I caught the pad of my ring finger in the cutter. Didn't break the skin but I will have an awful blood blister.

So I have four thicker bolt/nut/washer combos on each slider - two at each end. I have I think one more big and one or two more little bolts on the passenger side, and only the black box/grey bracket stock bolts going through on the driver side. There's absolutely no other stock mounting locations to go through on the driver side, I could probably fit the remaining smaller bolt provided through a spot on the passenger side. Hope it's all enough. Oh, and the bottom frame bolt on each side, but I still need to buy a longer bolt and chase the threads to get that installed back.

It was too cold to try to fit the TC skid or do any of the 15k maintenance. 25 degree drop plus wind from yesterday.

FastEddy59 likes this.
  14. Jan 3, 2021 at 1:26 PM
    TheCochese

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Fine corinthian leather
    OK, going to post something separate in a couple of days for more eyes, but I wanted to workshop it a little bit here before I do. And it involves power.

Here's where I'm at and where I think I'm going.

• Smittybilt X20 winch (direct wire to battery through cutoff)
    • Heise SL2014 bumper light
    Potential future
    • ARB compressor
    • roof light
    • hood lights (eh?)
    • scene lights
    • front heated seats
    • front camera
    There's always the prospect of doing a fridge and more overlanding stuff, but I'm really seeing the benefit of doing a trailer when it gets to that point. And it would have its own power distribution node.

One thing to know about me is that I am wanting to do this very neatly, very stock-like. At least as it relates to wiring, and in-cab presentation. So that means a very neat wiring loom, factory color switch setup or SwitchPro that can match RGB. No weird add-on mounts, no massive amount of shitty wiring behind the dash. It'll be done neatly, and professional, even if it costs a bit more. I'll likely temporarily wire up both the winch and bumper light if I haven't settled on a solution by then.

What I need to figure out is if I should do it with something like a Switch Pro or factory-type switches. What my distribution under the hood looks like. Will I need to plan for a second battery, etc. I have three stock switch spots available in the middle dash, and could do multiple ones in the roof (only have TC up there). I could do three more instead of the driver side cubby, or I could put the Switch Pro there (but I need MESO to make one with a four switch bottom to match what I have).

So I have a decent plan, I just need to figure out how to execute it.

Biscuits and VirusCage like this.
  15. Jan 3, 2021 at 1:37 PM
    Iwilltaco

Member:
    Under development
    What do you mean hood lights? Like the ditch lights?

I like the look of factory style switches, just depends on if you have room. I used 2 in the center for my heated seats, and plan to use one on the left by the cubby for a light bar. The switch pros are pretty slick though, and if you are going to keep adding, they give you a lot of versatility moving forward. I totally get why people go that route.

16. Jan 3, 2021 at 1:41 PM
    FastEddy59

FastEddy59 TTC #0061

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Smack, Dab in the middle of Winnipeg
    Vehicle:
    '13 Barc. Red Tacoma SR5 4X4
    Rigid 23004 Radiance light bar Cheap 3K 18W LED Fogs General AT-2's Pioneer AVH4200NEX w/ iDatalink JL XD5003V2 Focal 165KRX2's JL 10TW3 Arcticstart 803
    Switch Pro is kinda pricey but most definitely the way to go imho. I'm just a little concerned about how it will perform in extreme cold. I need my stuff to work out in the field. Got no time for down time. Heated seats are a must. Wish i had heated mirrors but that's comin' too. Hood lights like most of mine are KC's. Been lovin' 'em for over 40 years. Front cam plugs right into my Pioneer deck with switching on the front panel. Lastly, Air compressors. Lots of thinkin' into that install again bc of the extreme cold. Gotta have the lines sloped right with lots of points to drain moisture/condensation. Don't really matter what brand. My single Northstar AGM battery seems like more than enough but I don't pack a winch. Not sure if I will.

17. Jan 3, 2021 at 2:15 PM
    TheCochese

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Fine corinthian leather
    Yes. Not sure I'll get them but I thought I would throw that in.

The Switch Pro seems really cool, but also is a huge dunk of cash at once when all of these things will be done over the course of a couple of years, realistically.

As far as switch locations, three in the lower middle dash, and I can add up to five in the overhead console if I go with a MESO 3D printed unit. I think I could add three in the cubby.

Realistically, isn't the main benefit of the Switch Pro having them all in one unit and the wiring ready to add more accessories easily? If I go ahead and run all my planned accessory wiring at once, and all I have to do is pop out blanks and put the switches in...doesn't that get me to basically the same place? Since I'll need to have relays for all the switches, all the wiring from the switches to under the hood should be the same, right? I could twist up five sets of wires for the overhead console and pull the interior trim for that once.

This is good conversation.

18. Jan 3, 2021 at 2:23 PM
    Iwilltaco

Member:
    Under development
    I think you thought that out correctly. Everything wired to one panel, and easy to add to in the future. But it isn’t cheap. And if you plan it out, you could pre wire to your stock locations. So yea, I think it comes down to if you want to spend the money on it or not :D

19. Jan 3, 2021 at 2:29 PM
    FastEddy59

FastEddy59 TTC #0061

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Smack, Dab in the middle of Winnipeg
    Vehicle:
    '13 Barc. Red Tacoma SR5 4X4
    Rigid 23004 Radiance light bar Cheap 3K 18W LED Fogs General AT-2's Pioneer AVH4200NEX w/ iDatalink JL XD5003V2 Focal 165KRX2's JL 10TW3 Arcticstart 803
    Since you mentioned neat wiring the switch pro eliminates most of the space problems of large looms. As you said, start wiring in mulitple accesories & wires add up real fast. Not a whole lot of room to space behind my dash & a lot less now. I like that Meso panel as you're not hackin' up the truck to install a hand full of switches. I like to keep all the lighting in one place/row. The rest is based on how often i use or need to adjust it.

20. Jan 3, 2021 at 3:15 PM
    VirusCage

VirusCage Well in the secondary immune response

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Allison Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport DCSB 6MT 1995 Landcruiser 2015 Highlander XLE
    Hood deflector, window vent visors, stainless steps, kb voodoo bedrack, bed cubby cap seals, meso ext fuse cover, meso lower switch panel, 4xhella horns, power tray aux panel, 2wd lo mod, rear FU lights, bed led lights, BPF SKID and Hook, rear view mirror usb power ports, front and rear dash cam, front and rear cam anytime mod, cherry air freshener! Anytime 400watt, inside 110v outlet, BPF Skid plate, BPF shackle mount,
    When I made the harness that I used for my panel, I included extra wiring in the bundle for potential changes and growth down the road.

Products Discussed in

To Top