1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TheCochese's Project Con Queso

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Builds (2016-2023)' started by TheCochese, Aug 7, 2020.

?

Yellow wrap bumper light?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. Sometimes

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Jan 11, 2021 at 10:19 AM
    TheCochese

TheCochese [OP] The Bronze T4R OG

Member:
    Attempting to flee the south
    Vehicle:
    Cavalry Blue soccer machine
    Fine corinthian leather
    It's possible some unofficial progress on the bumper is happening. Saw a higher number order appear on their IG story. Couldn't tell if it was a Tacoma or 4R bumper.

Time to start seriously talking about running power.

23Skidoo and Biscuits like this.
  2. Jan 11, 2021 at 11:35 AM
    TheCochese

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Fine corinthian leather
    OK, here's a rough draw out. Could use some feedback. Note: All the accessories aren't wired into the same relay, switch, and ground. Just simplified for clarity.

I'm not sure if I use a similar breaker for the winch and compressor that I need to fuse those. I am also unclear as to when I would tap into the ACC ON fuse, before or after the breaker.

For the winch and the air compressor I don't mind that I wouldn't have an interior switch. I'd want to probably control those from under the hood. The air compressor could stay on for the entire run if I needed to engage the future air locker(s) or at the end of the run to air back up. The winch would obviously only be needed in certain situations, and I'd have to be at the winch to unspool anyway.

Otherwise, I think I know the purpose of the terminal panel, just not how it works. And I assume I need a separate relay for every switch?

Biscuits likes this.
  3. Jan 11, 2021 at 1:01 PM
    VirusCage

VirusCage Well in the secondary immune response

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Allison Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport DCSB 6MT 1995 Landcruiser 2015 Highlander XLE
    Hood deflector, window vent visors, stainless steps, kb voodoo bedrack, bed cubby cap seals, meso ext fuse cover, meso lower switch panel, 4xhella horns, power tray aux panel, 2wd lo mod, rear FU lights, bed led lights, BPF SKID and Hook, rear view mirror usb power ports, front and rear dash cam, front and rear cam anytime mod, cherry air freshener! Anytime 400watt, inside 110v outlet, BPF Skid plate, BPF shackle mount,
    Quick glance, it looks good to me.

TheCochese[OP] likes this.
  4. Jan 11, 2021 at 5:29 PM
    TheCochese

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Fine corinthian leather

I think the aux fuse box is missing a ground, and I'm not sure where to pick up the source 12v for the switches.

Biscuits likes this.
  5. Jan 11, 2021 at 5:44 PM
    TheCochese

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Fine corinthian leather
    Also ordered the Pro scoop vinyl. I like the look and maybe it will also cut down on glare.

Biscuits likes this.
  6. Jan 12, 2021 at 4:03 AM
    VirusCage

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Allison Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    Hood deflector, window vent visors, stainless steps, kb voodoo bedrack, bed cubby cap seals, meso ext fuse cover, meso lower switch panel, 4xhella horns, power tray aux panel, 2wd lo mod, rear FU lights, bed led lights, BPF SKID and Hook, rear view mirror usb power ports, front and rear dash cam, front and rear cam anytime mod, cherry air freshener! Anytime 400watt, inside 110v outlet, BPF Skid plate, BPF shackle mount,
    The 12v for the switch LEDs I pulled over from the interior fuse box using an add a fuse. The 12v to operate the switches I pulled in from my added fuse block added under the hood.

b_r_o and TheCochese[QUOTED][OP] like this.
  7. Jan 12, 2021 at 4:33 AM
    VirusCage

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Allison Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    Both are very low draw, so all my switches share the same LED feed and the Feed from under the hood. I think the LEDs are fused by 3 or 5 amp and 14 gauge, while the under the hood is probably 16 ga an 5 or 10 amp, I can check.

8. Jan 12, 2021 at 5:15 AM
    TheCochese

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Fine corinthian leather
    I bought a breakout harness from a guy here to tap into the bed light switch. It has illumination(+) and ground wires built in, so at least for up to three switches in the cubby I can just tap in right there. I'd just have to run the (+) relay and tap into a source. I didn't know if I could just spiral both and if something like the Blue Sea had a source tap.

It's been so long since I did any sort of wiring shenanigans. Except for car stereos, the last time was probably on my El Camino. I added a bicycle gear cruise control to my Jeep, but there was no wiring there.

9. Jan 12, 2021 at 5:57 AM
    b_r_o

b_r_o Beef jerky time

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB
    Pretty sure the fuse box doesn't need a ground. There's no work being done in there, no wattage being consumed like a motor or light bulb. When you think about it, what would get grounded anyway? The case? Its just a plastic box with a bunch of positive leads and their corresponding fuses

Choosing a source for your switches comes down to how much wiring clutter you will tolerate. A 1-2 added circuits could just get their power from the battery positive terminal, but any more than that and you've got a rats nest at the battery. Same thing in the fuse box, 1-2 added circuits is ok, any more than that and you're hacking up the fuse box.

Given all the electrical components you want to add, I'd just go straight for an aftermarket accessory fuse panel. Then you can just have 1 clean (big gauge) connection from battery positive to the new fuse panel. Much cleaner looking

23Skidoo and FastEddy59 like this.
  10. Jan 12, 2021 at 6:01 AM
    FastEddy59

FastEddy59 TTC #0061

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Smack, Dab in the middle of Winnipeg
    Vehicle:
    '13 Barc. Red Tacoma SR5 4X4
    Rigid 23004 Radiance light bar Cheap 3K 18W LED Fogs General AT-2's Pioneer AVH4200NEX w/ iDatalink JL XD5003V2 Focal 165KRX2's JL 10TW3 Arcticstart 803
    Makes a lot of sense too should somethin’ goes wrong at least you can trace it without needing a Section 8.

23Skidoo and b_r_o[QUOTED] like this.
  11. Jan 12, 2021 at 6:01 AM
    TheCochese

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Fine corinthian leather
    Sorry for the confusion, that is what I'm doing. Likely a Blue Sea on a mount with a breaker.

I also guess that my breaker will be way higher than I need initially for just the one light. I suppose I could swap out higher ones as I go?

12. Jan 12, 2021 at 6:10 AM
    b_r_o

b_r_o Beef jerky time

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB
    Do some math to get a rough total of all the wattage you'd be using with the winch running, air compressor running and a few ditch lights turned on. Start with a breaker rated in that general area.

FastEddy59 likes this.
  13. Jan 12, 2021 at 6:16 AM
    FastEddy59

FastEddy59 TTC #0061

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Smack, Dab in the middle of Winnipeg
    Vehicle:
    '13 Barc. Red Tacoma SR5 4X4
    Rigid 23004 Radiance light bar Cheap 3K 18W LED Fogs General AT-2's Pioneer AVH4200NEX w/ iDatalink JL XD5003V2 Focal 165KRX2's JL 10TW3 Arcticstart 803
    May have to go 3 pole if you add the Stereo. :devil:

b_r_o[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Jan 12, 2021 at 6:20 AM
    TheCochese

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Fine corinthian leather
    I've seen a recommendation to wire the winch up directly to the battery behind a cutoff. I was considering doing the same for an air compressor. I want to have to be intentional to supply power, as I won't need either often.

15. Jan 12, 2021 at 6:30 AM
    b_r_o

b_r_o Beef jerky time

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB
    That makes sense. The Blue Sea panel would handle all the lighting and possibly more low amp accessories later on.

Should be able to find aftermarket positive battery terminals that have extra studs for attaching big gauge leads. That'd be your best best to avoid clutter at the battery

16. Jan 12, 2021 at 11:28 AM
    TheCochese

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Fine corinthian leather

Thought about this a bit more and realized that I wouldn't want scene lights on a switched accessory line. If I even get that far. The rest I should only be using when the engine is on or in the accessory position.

So...here's where I think I'm at, and I'm going to post in the aux fuse thread soon to cast a wider net. I think the best course of action to provide the power to the switches is to add a fuse or otherwise tap into lines in the cab instead of running a line all the way back to the engine fuse box. That way also I only have to pull so much wire through the firewall grommet.

Now I need to figure out a slick way to keep the relays neat and be able to hot swap if necessary. The relay boxes I see also contain fuses, and I bet I don't want to do that.

17. Jan 12, 2021 at 5:11 PM
    TheCochese

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Fine corinthian leather
    Material received for the bumper. Might get shipped out in a couple of weeks.

FastEddy59 and b_r_o like this.
  18. Jan 14, 2021 at 8:10 AM
    VirusCage

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Allison Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    I'm not sure if this is enough room for this depending on what you have planned...
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075M4PRG2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_EWgaGbFFFKXX6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

19. Jan 14, 2021 at 4:51 PM
    TheCochese

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Fine corinthian leather
    Ok, so my assumption here is this isn’t a supplement to the Blue Sea, but a replacement. Fuses and relays in one container. Maybe more of a comparison with the Bussman?

20. Jan 15, 2021 at 6:36 AM
    VirusCage

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Allison Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    Yeah closer to bussman, not sure what all your plan is. This would be a way to accommodate more relays and fuse box in one. Since I used a power tray, had a blue sea, and a 4 relay holder I just put all of that together. I had considered this Mictuning box, but I had most of the other stuff. If I get to working on the LandCruiser at some point, I would probably get one for it.

Products Discussed in

To Top