1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TheNatural's 2012 Totally Expo Trail Limo Build

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by TheNatural, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Jul 17, 2021 at 3:57 PM
    TheNatural

TheNatural [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Nelson, BC
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB
    Lots of bolt on chrome stuff
    Big front end project underway! It started because I couldn't live with the failing steering rack bushings any longer, but I had a lot of other things in the parts pile. I pulled the UCA's, spindles, and LCA's to replace all the bushings and install cam tab and spindle gussets. Those stock LCA bolts were seized as hell and took some serious time to cut them out.

I just pulled and had a look at the UCA bushings, which are the poly ones that came with the Icon control arms 120k km ago, and I was a little surprised to find that they look just like the new ones I have sitting here. No play in them at all. I heard that poly bushings last a long time, but I was still expecting to need to replace them at some point. Apparently if you keep them greased properly it's true what random websites say: they can last the life of whatever they're installed on. If only uniballs would last like that!

2. Jul 17, 2021 at 4:42 PM
    TheNatural

Member:
    Fort Nelson, BC
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB
    I also just did something a little unnecessary but I feel good about it! The OEM control arms had a bracket bolted to them to hold the ABS sensor wire. It's always bugged me that the Icon UCA's had the bracket mounting location in the wrong spot and I had to zip tie that wire. Well... I trimmed some extra fat from the lil bracket and welded it to the UCA for proper ABS wire holding. It's in the details...
    PXL_20210717_233649210.jpg
    Also I'm not very enthusiastic about doing this project so I'm procrastinating by writing about it.

sasquatch95 likes this.
  3. Aug 13, 2021 at 12:21 PM
    TheNatural

Member:
    Fort Nelson, BC
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB
    Went on a vacation for 3 weeks and left the truck on jackstands. But now...

Cam tab gussets welded in
    Driver CV replaced
    One spindle gusset welded in (one to go)
    Steering rack removed and stock bushings pulled
    Stock LCA bushings removed
    Passenger lower ball joint removed

Just need to weld in the other spindle gusset, prep everything for paint and paint it, then put it back together.

Progress pic during spindle gusseting
    PXL_20210718_195210274.jpg

CoWj likes this.
  4. Aug 29, 2021 at 3:27 PM
    TheNatural

Member:
    Fort Nelson, BC
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB
    Got everything wrapped up for the front end project except the alignment which I have an appointment for on Tuesday. It sure looks better. The spindle gussets fit nicely with the 1.25" spacers and I managed to use all of the brake hose and wheel speed sensor cable mounts although they required some fitting around the gussets. Older Pic but not much changed after this
    20210824_182552.jpg

T.Barn likes this.
  5. Sep 7, 2021 at 11:16 AM
    TheNatural

Member:
    Fort Nelson, BC
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB
    Great success. I did a ~1500km drive and the old gal handles much better. I ended up with 2.8 caster on the passenger side and 2.5 on the drivers side, camber and toe at zero. Everything feels nice and tight and it doesn't feel like it's floating around like it did before. It did feel like it wanted to wonder in the wheel ruts on the small stretch of freeway with a 120 speed limit, but for the hour a year I drive that I can deal. Pretty happy with how the front end turned out.

CoWj likes this.
  6. Feb 15, 2022 at 9:15 AM
    TheNatural

Member:
    Fort Nelson, BC
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB
    I've done a little tinkering lately. I re-wrapped my center console switch panel in fresh clazzio vinyl because it was looking a little ratty. Also installed this dash accessory mount called 2TPAM. Lastly I pulled the air compressor I had mounted behind the rear seats and put some Dynamat on the rear cab wall. The Dynamat made a huge difference. I am planning on moving the compressor under the hood now that I don't have rear seats to hide it behind in the cab, but I haven't gotten around to wiring it up yet.

20220212_204442.jpg

sasquatch95 likes this.
  7. May 1, 2022 at 4:52 PM
    TheNatural

Member:
    Fort Nelson, BC
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB
    I haven't had an air compressor for a little while. Removed it when I did the seat delete but never got around to installing it under the hood... until now. I still need to actually wire it up and get a longer air line for rear locker (the 12' stainless braided one I was using doesn't reach), but it's a start.

New compressor location:
    20220501_142246.jpg

I used the slee bracket that relocates the power steering reservoir to make room for the ARB compressor. Fit was meh. Mounting holes didn't line up super well, but made it work. The hoses from PS reservoir were rubbing on all sorts of things, so I cut a bit off the end of one and rotated it a bit. No longer touches anything.

After bracket installed:
    20220501_142310.jpg
    After hose trimming:
    20220501_155247.jpg

Also, I have noticed some bearing noise at startup on cold mornings recently. I thought it was an idler, but while I had my head in the hood I listened around and I think it might be the needle bearings in the back of the supercharger. Le sigh.

sasquatch95 likes this.
  8. May 3, 2022 at 5:45 PM
    TheNatural

Member:
    Fort Nelson, BC
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB
    I found a write up on how to kill the TPMS light. The pictures were no longer available so I had to do a little multimeter testing, but it is damn simple and I can't believe that's all it takes. This mutes the dash light, but doesn't actually turn off the system.

Just add a wire behind the glove box where I have added the yellow one. It connects the blue wire in the harness on the left (which is a +5V) with the blue wire in the harness on the right (which is the signal to turn off the light). Dash light gone.
    20220503_172425.jpg

9. May 4, 2022 at 1:17 PM
    TheNatural

Member:
    Fort Nelson, BC
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB
    Guys! It was so nice to commute without any lights on the dash!

sasquatch95 likes this.
  10. Aug 14, 2022 at 2:49 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    I think there should be a thred to see how much money could be spent on a bone stock truck.
    Could be quite a contest.

11. Aug 14, 2022 at 6:35 PM
    TheNatural

Member:
    Fort Nelson, BC
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB
    New drivers side wheel bearing today. It didn't have any play in it yet, but was making a small amount of noise. I thought it was worse, but I think some of the noise I was hearing is coming from the inner CV or the bushing in the diff. Fixed half the problem anyway.

I have my OEM CV axles and Toyota boot kits sitting on the work bench. I was planning to swap those back in to replace the NAPA spares that are in the truck now, but I don't really have time for that today. When I get to that I'll be able to figure out this remaining faint noise.

sasquatch95 likes this.
  12. Jan 6, 2023 at 7:15 PM
    TheNatural

Member:
    Fort Nelson, BC
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB
    Well... OEM CVs lasted 201,000km with lots of wheeling and abuse - only replaced because the rubber boots were looking aged. NAPA remans lasted 20,000km of mostly hwy/city and the outer boot on driver side has ripped to pieces, passenger side boot cracked and leaking grease all over, driver side inner making noise. OEM was 5x the price but seems like it's still the cheaper way to go in the long term.

sasquatch95 likes this.
  13. Jan 18, 2023 at 7:45 PM
    NYCO

NYCO go explore...

Member:
    First Name:
    bOb
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Blue Betty - '06 TRD OR
    dents & scratches
    impressive lifespan!

14. Jan 29, 2023 at 2:43 PM
    TheNatural

Member:
    Fort Nelson, BC
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB
    Finally replaced the old fuel filler door with rusted out hinge. The plastic shroud must have caught a rock at some point; it's had that hole in it for a long time. I also had my diff breather there and moved it to the tail light bulkhead.

Old:
    20230122_165407.jpg
    20230122_165417.jpg

New:
    20230122_181434.jpg
    20230122_181738.jpg
    20230129_135426.jpg

The new fuel filler door is just primer black, but I think I'm going to get some vinyl for that and the fender flares.

NYCO and sasquatch95 like this.
  15. Mar 16, 2024 at 9:39 AM
    TheNatural

Member:
    Fort Nelson, BC
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB
    Couple changes over the last year. First, I bought this old Duramax and trailer to haul my stuff around. Only costs slightly more in fuel to run this down the highway with a loaded trailer compared to a loaded down Tacoma (without a trailer). It needed a little TLC to get it in a condition I was happy with so it consumed a few of my weekends.
    20230504_174459.jpg

I also did a little maintenance and repair on the Tacoma over the last year. After I decided that I really liked the space and capacity of the heavy duty truck, I decided to pull the supercharger off of my Tacoma and sell it this spring. I was only running the Tacoma around unloaded, really not using the blower at all, and I have been hating the need for premium for years. It's just hard to find at small stations here. Poor fuel economy, small fuel tank, and the need for harder to find premium fuel makes for much less enjoyable trips. So, it went back to stock about 2 weeks ago. Commuting I don't really notice the difference. Hills on the highway are less pleasant, even unloaded.
    PXL_20240224_222241369.jpg

Most recently of all, I got another new to me truck. New diesel emissions and the crackdown on deletes do not interest me, so I went gas this time. (The Duramax above is a 2004, before DPF). This 2022 F350 has the gas 7.3L V8, and within a rounding error of the same power to weight ratio as the supercharged Tacoma (with armor etc). It's also very spacious and comfortable. Commuting mpg is about the same as Taco, highway is much better (at least until it starts to see some modding). The 180L tank and running on 87 should make my road trip life much better.
    PXL_20240304_205110942.jpg

So now I have too many trucks. Anyone want a 2004.5 GMC Sierra 2500HD with the LLY Duramax? It's an SLT with a surprising amount of creature comforts for the year, 333km on it (just over 200k miles)

NYCO and sasquatch95 like this.
  16. Mar 30, 2024 at 6:09 PM
    NYCO

NYCO go explore...

Member:
    First Name:
    bOb
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Blue Betty - '06 TRD OR
    dents & scratches
    Damn lots of moving pieces! I've been contemplating getting a tundra for a larger truck that can tow if needed... borderline too many vehicles at the moment and i love them all too much to get rid of one.

Products Discussed in

To Top