1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TheNatural's 2012 Totally Expo Trail Limo Build

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by TheNatural, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Feb 2, 2015 at 6:57 PM
    TheNatural

TheNatural [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Nelson, BC
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB
    Lots of bolt on chrome stuff
    Today I got my Prinsu roof rack and installed it. Love it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I put my 50" light bar on it using my MCM Fab Mounts that usually utilize the roof rack holes. Sits too high. Hate it. Will take better pics of broken truck when it's not so dark.
    [​IMG]

On the up side, light bar doesn't make any of the terrible noises way up there.

2. Feb 2, 2015 at 7:05 PM
    TheNatural

Member:
    Fort Nelson, BC
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB
    Got the bill today when they dropped off the rack. $75 brokerage and the regular sales taxes.

3. Feb 2, 2015 at 7:40 PM
    TheNatural

Member:
    Fort Nelson, BC
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB
    I think I have found a solution! Too cold and dark to implement right now though.

Before:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Feb 2, 2015 at 7:54 PM
    teneighty

teneighty I'd rather be skiing...

Member:
    Right behind you. NY
    Vehicle:
    18’ F150 SCREW LB 3.5 EcoBoost
    Bilstein 5100’s (x4), 275/65/20 Cooper XLT AT3’s
    Rack and light bar look sick

5. Feb 2, 2015 at 8:07 PM
    RockyMtnTRD

RockyMtnTRD Wanderlust.

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD OR
    hack job
    Nice looking rig man. Keep the mods coming!

:popcorn:

6. Feb 2, 2015 at 8:31 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

Not as bad as it could have been

7. Feb 3, 2015 at 10:20 PM
    dandrilla

dandrilla Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dominic
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab LB 4x4
    3 inch lift, AM nerf bars, Plasti-dip badges, Areis bull bar, KC 6in spotlights, AM stereo + sub, AM high performance Halogen headlight bulbs
    BHLM on the light bar is awesome, haven't seen that before. Lookin sharp, wish I had all the spare cash to spend on my truck that you do

8. Feb 4, 2015 at 9:43 AM
    taczilla

taczilla I intend to live forever; so far.... so good!

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    PEC, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 RAM Rebel
    2012 TRD Sport - STOLEN! / 2016 RAM Rebel
    RE: US Offroad winch bumper

The Avid Light bar mounts to the factory bumper mounts and is compatible with the TRD skid plate.

Where did you buy the bumper ? (fabricator direct maybe, or other)

Thanks!

9. Feb 4, 2015 at 11:50 AM
    TheNatural

Member:
    Fort Nelson, BC
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB
    Thanks :) It should look a little better on the all black truck now!

Zach at Prinsu agreed to make some custom light bar mounts for me so I don't have to hack mine up like I intended. They should look better than what I was planning too.

As for the spare cash.. it's not so much that I have a lot of money to burn, but more so that I'm a single guy in a town without much to spend it on :p When I was living in civilization I spent a lot more on things like concerts and little weekend trips to go skiing or whatever - now I don't have the option to do those things. I also don't have anyone telling me I should buy new curtains instead of truck parts, soooo... truck parts it is.

The factory bumper bolts are still exposed and are used to mount this bumper too. I would think it would work, but I'm not sure which of the bots the avid light bar uses. This picture is looking in the gap to the right of the winch. The plastic thing with the writing on it is one of the horns. I moved them down there to make room for my light bars behind the grill, they wouldn't normally be there. The cable is for my block heater.. it wouldn't be in your way either. The two outer bumper mount bolts are on the other side of that vertical piece of steel. They're exposed too, but I'm not sure if your light bar would fit around the vertical plates?

[​IMG]

I pre ordered the bumper fabricator direct, before the first production run. He sells them on his website here. There's some more pics on the website that might help you gauge light bar fitment too.

10. Feb 5, 2015 at 9:58 AM
    taczilla

taczilla I intend to live forever; so far.... so good!

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    PEC, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 RAM Rebel
    2012 TRD Sport - STOLEN! / 2016 RAM Rebel
    Your quote:
    "The two outer bumper mount bolts are on the other side of that vertical piece of steel. They're exposed too, but I'm not sure if your light bar would fit around the vertical plates?"

I compared your pics of the bumper on the truck to the excellent mounting pics on the US Off Road sight. I also took a close look at my Avid bar.

http://usoffroad.us/store/tacoma-bumper-2012

http://www.avidoffroad.com/cart/ind...12-2014-toyota-tacoma-front-bumper-guard.html

Because of the location of the vertical crossbar on the Avid light bar:

1) It looks like that I would have to notch the outer bumper skid to slide the Avid mounting plate up to the outside bolts (and bolt both bumper and bar as one.)

2) The shackle brackets may have to be lowered to the bottom edge of vertical face of the bumper, or smaller brackets installed.

3) The fairlead or hawse slot location appears to be OK.

I would also trim the upper lip of the lower grill slot with some rubber 1/4 round or cove molding. Looks like a piece is missing with the exposed mounting slots.

Thanks, man!

BTW: Does US Off Road show any love to TW members?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (Edit removed this: If you could get a measurement from the center of the one of the two vertical outside mounting bolts to the face of the vertical gusset plates on the bumper, that would be the answer right there.)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  11. Feb 5, 2015 at 11:43 AM
    TheNatural

Member:
    Fort Nelson, BC
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB
    He is a member here and has run group buys before. If you dig through the group buy section you could track him down and get some more info (custom shackle mounts, next group buy, other stuff you might want to know?)

I'm glad you don't need that measurement anymore! I was looking at it last night wondering how the hell I was going to get in there to measure. I plan on taking the front end apart again to wire a winch switch in the cab and switch the fair lead to a black one, so I could get some more pics and measurements at that time if you decide you need them. Probably wont be for awhile though.

12. Feb 7, 2015 at 5:55 PM
    TheNatural

Member:
    Fort Nelson, BC
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB
    My MCM Fab light bar mounts are going up for sale. They look pretty much new, except for scratches in the powder coat from the heads of the light bar bolts. A little bit of surface rust is starting to form at these spots, as seen in the pic.

These sell for 150USD plus taxes, duties, and shipping. At current exchange rate that's about 200CAD plus the other costs. I'm asking $140 CAD plus shipping. Good deal if you're in western Canada, not sure if it'd be worth it to ship back to the US.
    fe964a446ee79dfeaea78ee87a2ec6db_9d7d89514a2733d06bbf2dfc94c7e3cdd55f991f.jpg
    183d8fbc8339a13305d4877d4f14f300_aa26e1aa90824d9ec98cfbca092472d3e90f6f71.jpge880995a70ee3921f1fb8aa13dc72c28_f6d41455ba1bd699a272e34cc5453a7773f2dfa6.jpg

13. Feb 9, 2015 at 3:53 PM
    NorthCountryTRD

NorthCountryTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD Off Road V6 Manual
    Current Mods: - Locking Lug Nuts - Weather Tech floor Liners - N-Fab light bar - 32” Led Light bar - TRD skid plate - Leer Cap (Pyrite Mica) - Rigid TSM-22 Tow Strap Shackle Mount - Rigid Orange Shackle - @ACEkraut License plate bracket - Flashwolves LED reverse bulbs - TRD Stainless Cat Back - AFE Pro Dry S drop in filter - Glove box organizer - Center Console organizer - Bed Stiffeners - Color match grille - Custom Car Grills Perf SS Mesh flat black - Thule Cap roof rails - TRD PRO Suspension - Wheelers 2" Add a Leaf - HS 1/4 inch strut spacers - SCS Ray 10's in Brushed Copper - Cooper Maxx St's 275's - Under hood Led Light Kit Future Mods (as of right now): - 20inch LED Bar (Caliraised,Rigid, Baja) - 32inch LED Bar (Caliraised,Rigid,Baja) - LED Pods Side Projecting (Caliraised, Rigid) - Toyota Bed Matt - Quick fist Axe and Shovel mounts in Truck Bed - Cap mounted Awning - 100% No Drill Bolt on sliders - Wet Oak Seat covers (All black with TRD in them) - VooDoo Bed Bars/Basket that works under a cap
    Great build

14. Feb 11, 2015 at 12:17 PM
    TheNatural

Member:
    Fort Nelson, BC
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB
    Last night I ordered a ton of LED strip lights to use as rock lights, under hood lights, and bed lights.

I should have all the lighting done just in time for midnight sun. It'll be a repeat of last June when I installed my behind the grill light bars and had to wait a few weeks for it to get dark so I could aim them :p

Thanks!

15. Feb 11, 2015 at 12:46 PM
    TheNatural

Member:
    Fort Nelson, BC
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB
    Aaaand I updated my wish list in the first post. That should keep me busy for a couple years :)

16. Feb 12, 2015 at 9:32 AM
    TheNatural

Member:
    Fort Nelson, BC
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB
    :yay: My Mob Armor mount came today! Can't wait to get it installed.

[​IMG]

Edit: Got it installed. The place I had in mind didn't really fit, but I kinda like this spot. It's tough to find a flat-ish surface that doesn't block any controls/gauges!

[​IMG]

Also snapped a pic of my future external speaker location for the two way radio. It fits in this spot really well.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  17. Feb 13, 2015 at 10:15 AM
    TheNatural

Member:
    Fort Nelson, BC
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB
    Light bar brackets sold.

18. Feb 13, 2015 at 10:19 AM
    ArcherTaco

ArcherTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Riley
    Greeley/Windsor, CO
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCLB TRD Sport
    Toy-Tec Kit, Tool box fit to bed, Dipped badges, cab lights, running boards, Flowmaster exhaust
    Sweet looking truck dude. DCLBFTW

19. Feb 15, 2015 at 1:58 PM
    TheNatural

Member:
    Fort Nelson, BC
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB
    Today I swapped out the plain aluminum fairlead that came with my winch for a black one. Now all it needs is one of those ?prolink flatlink? things for maximum inconspicuous-ness.

b2adfea469f147759dde53490f981b92_2ed75ceb9101448c22f7fb75a9b1b7c9be29dddd.jpg

Also started wiring the switches that are going to go in front of the cup holders/under A/C. Probably won't get them in for a while though.. spare time isn't something I have a lot of right now

Thanks!

20. Feb 17, 2015 at 8:09 PM
    TheNatural

Member:
    Fort Nelson, BC
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB
    Windshield wiper grenaded on the highway in the middle of a freezing rain storm. It was bad enough that max defrost wasn't keeping up with the ice forming on the windshield... but no wipers made it a really crappy drive back to civilization. Sooo... new ones!

Products Discussed in

To Top