1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

There are some great vendors out there with outstanding customer service

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by regkeg, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Nov 14, 2012 at 4:31 PM
    regkeg

regkeg [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dick
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma 4x4
    Cat back duals w/Magnaflo, Deck Plate mod, ScanGuage II, ARB bumper, Warn XD9000 winch, ToyTec OME-9504TAC suspension, Toyo Open Countries
    Went back out and looked closer and found a label on the coil. Can't see it real good but can easily tell it says 882. I also miked the coil material and it was .655" which comes out to 16.637mm so it looks like they really are 882s.

IMAG1438 cropped to show label.jpg

2. Nov 14, 2012 at 4:34 PM
    regkeg

Member:
    First Name:
    Dick
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma 4x4
    Cat back duals w/Magnaflo, Deck Plate mod, ScanGuage II, ARB bumper, Warn XD9000 winch, ToyTec OME-9504TAC suspension, Toyo Open Countries
    We've looked and looked and find no problems. The general consensus of both ARB and Toytec is that the coil has the shock almost fully extended at all times and that the internal valving can't react quick enough so the shock bottoms out internally when hitting a sharp bump.

3. Nov 14, 2012 at 4:44 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    well..its a mystery..haha im out of ideas as to why its all screwed up.

4. Nov 30, 2012 at 4:25 PM
    regkeg

Member:
    First Name:
    Dick
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma 4x4
    It's been a while and I had some delays but Toytec did send the new shocks w/883 coils n.c. and I had them installed. I did some measuring before removing the 882 setup and after installing the 883 units and the center of hub to fender flare is exactly the same with the 883s and it was with the 882s. However, the 882s had almost 1000 miles on them and the 883s were new so I'll see if the 883s settle any.

As for the clunk, about 95% of it's gone. I still occasionally get a clunk in the front driver's side if I hit a good size hole/crack etc. Maybe the 883s will settle enough to get rid of it totally.

I haven't done any testing to see if the flex is any different but given that the measurements are the same I doubt I'll see much difference but if the weather ever dries out some I'll see what I can find.

I guess that if you buy a suspension replacement that gives you X amount of lift it seems that you get that lift by stretching the shock to almost a fully extended position and thus the clunk, at least for some trucks.

Products Discussed in

To Top