1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Theromostat housing(alum.) install help???

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by stinky_truck, May 31, 2010.

1. May 31, 2010 at 10:53 AM
    stinky_truck

stinky_truck [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ryan
    i=13 miles currently @ 75,500 miles
    Vehicle:
    Plane Jane:4x4,6 speed, shortest bed,URD3SC
    front baja bbq hoop bumper and rear allpro bumper, URD SCIII,urd short throw & stg IIIclutch combo kit w/throwout, DDM Hid 4000k, icon frt (coil overs)& rear shocks (piggy back rez)& add a leaf.
    i am installing the alumin. thermostat housing and the thermostat for my 08'taco. where do i squirt the "Right Stuff" silicone? between the thermostat rubber ring and the alumin. housing? or just the alumin. housing contact points to the engine block? or both?

2. May 31, 2010 at 12:10 PM
    rontom

rontom Member

Member:
    Warren County, MO
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4 SR5
    I haven't replaced my thermostat in my '08 yet but in my old '99 a sealant was not needed...the "o" ring acted as the seal. I checked in my 05-09 Haynes manual and here is a quote:
    "On the V6 models, the thermostat is part of the housing (and the housing is sealed by an O-ring)"

I don't think I would use the sealant.....also.....make sure and don't over-tighten the 3 nuts that fasten the housing to the engine block!!

3. May 31, 2010 at 12:25 PM
    My68ur8trd

My68ur8trd Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Williamsburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD OR Dcab 4x4
    URD Catback | TRD CAI | TRD S/C | APR X-1 | DTLT | APR 2.85" Pulley |Fabtech 6" | Icon C/O | Alcan Leafs | 33 Grabber AT2 | 17" XD Addicts
    if you are talking about the APR housing, then you put it on the flat that mates up to the stock coolant manifold. a bead right around the out edge of the thermostat bore will take care of it.

let it setup before you fill it back up or run it.

you dont need any sealant with the stock thermostat since it has a much better o-ring seal

Justin

To Top